Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Not riding and okay with it

I have been vacationing in Maui and before that it has been a touch to mucky for me to get on a mountain bike. I have done some road rides at home; otherwise, have been running, snorkeling, and weight lifting to stay in shape. I'm okay with it all! I'm getting old enough that I could probably survive in the right environment without a mountain bike; however, that would not be the optimal lifestyle but it would fine. I saw a sea turtle 2 feet from me yesterday and it was a thrill. Life is good. Carry on

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's cold here and I dread walking outside. I'm OK not riding but can't wait til the white stuff goes away and the temp rises above 60.

tg
    mtbr member

Not riding sucks!!

Even when I'm on my skis I wish I was riding. Winter gets harder the older I get. Feb. could be rode bike time for me if the snow stays on Vail mountain where it belongs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not riding and okay with it-cimg1516.jpg  

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I hear you

I would rather mountain bike but after a while the rain and wet gets very tiring. I climb and I'm hot before descending and getting cold. I dream of being in a sea kayak in Maui!

mtbr member
    If I was vacationing in Maui, I'd be ok not riding too. However, that is not my case. I'm not riding because of scheduling conflicts, illness, and rain. It'll be a beautiful day here and I won't be able to ride or I'll be able to ride but it's raining.

My cup runneth over
    If I was in Maui I would be trying to figure out how to rent an FS bike, get someone to shuttle me to the top of Haleakula and ride the TRAILS all the way back to the hotel. 10,000 ft of vert dowhill.

Yeah, that's what I would be doing...

High Desert MTBer
    Last time I was in Maui I took my bike with me, had 5 flats on one ride and tore my tire in the fresh lava rock, then had to walk several miles til I got a lift back to the hotel. So I went kayaking instead!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    If I was in Maui I would be trying to figure out how to rent an FS bike, get someone to shuttle me to the top of Haleakula and ride the TRAILS all the way back to the hotel. 10,000 ft of vert dowhill.

Yeah, that's what I would be doing...
    Yes, you would, but not with the amount of rain HI has seen the past few weeks.

Above the clouds with Airwreck, Shaheeb, Whodaphuck and Dr. Kenney last April on our annual trip.

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Yes, you would, but not with the amount of rain HI has seen the past few weeks.
    Back in the day (think before the Tantalus trail - Honolulu - was closed to bikes) we didn't really think about NOT riding when it was wet (heck, it was/is always wet). Now that we are so much more PC about trail conditions I guess there are far fewer ridable days on Haleakula.

Mixed feelings...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I have been vacationing in Maui and before that it has been a touch to mucky for me to get on a mountain bike. I have done some road rides at home; otherwise, have been running, snorkeling, and weight lifting to stay in shape. I'm okay with it all! I'm getting old enough that I could probably survive in the right environment without a mountain bike; however, that would not be the optimal lifestyle but it would fine. I saw a sea turtle 2 feet from me yesterday and it was a thrill. Life is good. Carry on
    Snorkling is Amazing, I would love to be that close to a Sea Turtle, the only places of Notice I have Snorkled were the Reefs off Key West and the Ilanin Bay, Philippines, the only cool undersea Animal I have been close to while snorkling would be a Barakuda (mean looking mo fo's) in captivity whales N dolphins, all are simply amazing.

~~~~~~~~
    I think ebx was referring to the recent rainstorm we had that washed out the Kula Forest Reserve where the trails of the summit of Haleakala descend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    It's cold here and I dread walking outside. I'm OK not riding but can't wait til the white stuff goes away and the temp rises above 60.
    +1000

Never trust a fart
    I haven't been out since right before Thanksgiving. Its sad that I don't really care either since I should be training for the upcoming race season.

Members who have read this thread: 0