mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New Found Love For Suspension.

Ok, I recently got a new bike, the first full-suspension bike i've ever owned (excluding a Saracen Raw), and today my mate's dad drove us over to Cm Carn, or newport DH, whatever you call it. We did the Xc loop first, which is itself fairly technical, and at time's very rapid loop of singletrack. The final downhill desent back into the carpark at the end is awesome, steep, flowy, with big berms on the switchbacks, and small jumps along the track.
    After that, we hit-up the full-Blown DH track for about two hours. It was really muddy, and well slippery but great fun. Toward the end of the ride I was really getting a hang of the full suspension, and felt far more confident on the bike. So much so that on the last drop, off of a bridge, I hit it with far too much speed, landed right down toward the bottom of the slope, couldn't make the subsequent bermed corner and disapeared into the woodland behind. It was pretty funny, after I realised I'd stopped, and neither me or the bike were damaged
    Anyway below are som photos of the ride, sorry there aren't any bettter ones, I kept forgettign I had my camera on me. :roll:

Edit: Point is Full-suspension is brillaint, and to be honest blasting down that steep singletrack, mud flying, riding at your limit, right on the edge that was the most fun i've probably ever had on a bike!
    Just before setting off.

Joke is, we have gotta go up that!.

It was a beast of a climb.

Wookies' Old Man, and his Stinky.

My good self, with steed.

Having a rest before the final desent.

Oh, and we got are first snow of the year yesterday, and for us, snow in november is crazy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice - I've been to cwmcarn a few times, and the xc loop is great. Last time I went I looked at the downhill course where the xc course goes right next to it just before the last decent. That drop off the fireroad looks huge! How bad is it - is it easy to do, and what kind of speed do you need to be going?

Is the rest of the downhill course as extreme as the drop/end part? How much more difficult is it compared to the xc course? I've only got a hardtail at the moment, but I'm building up a kona coiler primo, so should have a bike that will be able to handle both courses. I might just try the downhill once I get good enough or my confidence increases.

Oh, by the way - get some riding shorts/trousers - jeans are horrible for riding in!

More Chasmism

Lucky Guy

You live in Bristol, eh? I'm envious. The proximity to Wales is one thing, but being in the center of the music universe is another. Massive, Portishead, Tricky, Smith & Mighty, Roni Size, Die, Krust, Flynn & Flora, Receiver, Alpha, Statik, Earthling, Ming, Monk & Canatella, Purple Penguin. I'm pretty sure I own more Bristol music than anyone this side of the Atlantic. I'd go broke if I had your local access to vinyl, dubplates, etc.

My wife and I have pondered a trip over to the UK. How many people make Bristol their prime English destination? Probably none. We've considered basing in Bristol with trips into Wales (riding!). Is southern Wales as good as northern Wales?

hfly

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    dav1d
    Nice - I've been to cwmcarn a few times, and the xc loop is great. That drop off the fireroad looks huge! How bad is it - is it easy to do, and what kind of speed do you need to be going?
    Is the rest of the downhill course as extreme as the drop/end part?
    To be honest that is the first real action i've seen on that bike, so I didn't hit that drop, but I know the very one your on about. It does look massive doesn't it, i think it's because the tranny is so steep, the floor just kinda drops out!. It was really muddy and slippery when I was there, so when it dries up i'll have anougher look....perhaps
    The rest of the course is a mad as you want it to be. There are chicken runs on nearly every obstacle, with only a few drops and jumps mandatory. Just scope it out on the way up, and you'll see which line you wana hit.
    Oh and yeah, I actually thought the final desent on the Xc loop was the highlight of the day

hfly
    You live in Bristol, eh? I'm envious. The proximity to Wales is one thing, but being in the center of the music universe is another. Massive, Portishead, Tricky, Smith & Mighty, Roni Size, Die, Krust, Flynn & Flora, Receiver, Alpha, Statik, Earthling, Ming, Monk & Canatella, Purple Penguin. I'm pretty sure I own more Bristol music than anyone this side of the Atlantic. I'd go broke if I had your local access to vinyl, dubplates, etc.

My wife and I have pondered a trip over to the UK. How many people make Bristol their prime English destination? Probably none. We've considered basing in Bristol with trips into Wales (riding!). Is southern Wales as good as northern Wales?
    Yeah I know what you mean. there are so many nights on al the time it's crazy. What can I say we Bristolians are a creative bunch Two of my mates are D & B DJ's and they have amassed a small army of Vinal (like 4-5 milk crates), I don't have that particular vice, but I find otherway's to waste the money
    Also Bristol is an amsome place for ridin in terms of location. With transport loads of fantatsic areas are available, not to mention the huge number of skateparks and stuff! I do't know if Southern wales is as good as the North as I've never ridden there, but I've climbed Snowdon, and that was far more impressive than anything I saw in Cwm carn, so I dought it. But still brilliant though, don't get me wrong
    Laterz,

Max,

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah I know what you mean by going from a HT to a FS.
    The biggest difference I felt was that I could still walk after a ride

Members who have read this thread: 1