The Road Warrior

My Trip to Watts Last Night, and Cycling Passion

So the classic wrong turn off of the freeway lands me in the middle of Watts, CA, last night. I decided to make the most of it, so I cruised the streets a bit. This was around midnight. I went and checked out the Watts Towers, looked at the gang graffitte, saw some wildlife (dope dealers, what have you), checked out the ho stro', and generally had a good time. What I noticed, though, more than all of that, was how many people were on bikes. There must have been at least 20 that I counted just cruising around for 10 minutes. All BS aside, Watts seemed pretty bike friendly. Not a bad place to be a cyclist. Besides getting shot. Here's a picture from crip city, in the middle of watts:

canuck
    my wife and I went for a drive down 8 mile road last summer.

very real...

mtbr member
    I was a cop very near there for years. The reason they are riding bikes is because they don't have/can't get a drivers license.

The Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDingus
    I was a cop very near there for years. The reason they are riding bikes is because they don't have/can't get a drivers license.
    You've probably seen it all. Scary place, watts. I saw lots of nasty stuff only in my short time there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The Watts Towers are definitely worth the trip in daylight hours. Its best to be out of Watts by 10 am, before the undesirables awake . When the economy tanked a couple years ago I worked on a bunch of foreclosures that happened to be in Watts and Compton. The building inspectors would make their rounds early and be gone by 11 am. Their are helicopters overhead constantly and cruiser sirens to be heard always. Plus, their are a lot of dogs running loose, if you ever felt the need to pedal through, do it early.

The Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks
    The Watts Towers are definitely worth the trip in daylight hours. Its best to be out of Watts by 10 am, before the undesirables awake . When the economy tanked a couple years ago I worked on a bunch of foreclosures that happened to be in Watts and Compton. The building inspectors would make their rounds early and be gone by 11 am. Their are helicopters overhead constantly and cruiser sirens to be heard always. Plus, their are a lot of dogs running loose, if you ever felt the need to pedal through, do it early.
    Yeah, what was with the tons of loose dogs, anyways? I counted 3. Funny you mention it. They didn't look too thin, though. I haven't seen compton, yet, but I don't think I need to. If I ever do go back, I think I'll take your advice and do it early.

AZ
    banned
    I lived 4 miles west of where the towers are in the 60's, I don't imagine the neighborhood has gotten any better since then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I used to drive through there at 4am on my way to work at the local racetrack. Best not to stop at red lights when it's dark....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    bike friendly? don't think the white boy would have bike for long. then you'd have to walk out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I went to H.S. an hr. North of there in the 80"s. We played Compton in a football game and a full on brawl broke out in the stands!! Our coaches were bad muthas and after securing us on the bus, they went and joined the mayhem, never forget it!

Members who have read this thread: 0