E !

Cool-blue Rhythm My brother has been bitten.

By the bug that we call passion. My grand parents, brother, and neice came up from San Antonio,TX. to Vegas for the thankgiving holiday. I have not seen my bro in about 3 years. He has not been riding bikes since a bmx injury about 8 years ago. He told me he has a beach cruiser bike that is used to put around the neighborhood while walking the dog and that's about it. His outdoor activities consist of fishing and drinking beer. Well, They arrived last Monday night. I had all the week off on vacation and first thing tuesday morning i get his call. Heya! I was going to go ride today. "come and pick me up!" He says. So i go and get him. Lucky i had extra gear for him. He also got a free ride with my wife's fisher tassajara. We went to the local "easy trails". The bike is a bit small for him but, Oh well. We did a short climb out and then cruised about 9 miles of flowing ST. He was AMAZED! As he stated" I never knew mountain biking could be this F#@kin cool" Then it hit, the gradual climb back up to the trailhead. No worries. He was slow but he hung in there without one grumpy remark.

Friday, after turkey day, us locals had a group ride at bootleg with some out of town MTBR members. My brother opted out as to not wanting to slow the ride down. In hindsight he would have hung in O.k.

All week long he is bugging me. When are you going to take me to this bootleg canyon?
    Off we go. I figured to stick to the relatively easier XC trails. Up the canyon we went. The trail that usually takes about 12-15 minutes i told him he could do it under 30 minutes. He was puffin and did it in 28 minutes. Good job and not one lame remark like some noobs would state. After that we did a fairly long technical descent. He was sold!
    Here's the catcher. Not knowing alot about Mt bikes. He say's"to bad they don't have cruiser bikes that are mountain bikes. That would be perfect around my house." They do. single speeds.
    He has 900 bucks in his pocket from winning on the games over the weekend that he has to burn. Off to the LBS we go. He finds "his kind of bike" the redline monocog. Not the right size and at full retail. No problem, look when you get back home i tell him. Then as we are on a beer run yesterday we stop by the corner shop. He scores a 05 monocog AL. version with upgraded wheels and tires for 400 even. That's a pretty nice rig for that money.

To finish up, while i was at work again today, he hit the "easier" trails at cottonwood solo. He can't wait to get back to Texas to ride the trails there. He is fairly certain he's going to.."Tear it up!"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the - E - dog

Freeriding Feline

Cool

It makes me feel good when I get someone else to understand why we ride. I wish my family members got it.
    Good stuff, I hope he has good luck with his new bike.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    That is cool. Getting someone infected with the bug is a good thing. Sounds like he's serious about sticking with it. What's not to like, right?

mtbr member

MTB pimp

Good job E!

I wish I could get my brother into riding. He's ridden with me before but just doesn't like it that much. Too much work. I guess that's why he's fat.

I love stories like your's.

C

E !

Thanks C

Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    Good job E!

I wish I could get my brother into riding. He's ridden with me before but just doesn't like it that much. Too much work. I guess that's why he's fat.

I love stories like your's.

C
    I got a kick out of riding the girl scout trail with him saying. "This is the S#@T, my lungs are gonna explode!" How easy the trail is for us regular riders and to see it in a new light with a new rider. Towards the top when it narrows to the off-edge stuff he was like, "This is crazy hard but i'm liking it." When we hit the east leg and all the way down through POW to the road all i heard on the pedal back up to the main lot was"i can live with this. This is the shizznit!"
    the - E - dog

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat7
    It makes me feel good when I get someone else to understand why we ride. I wish my family members got it.
    Good stuff, I hope he has good luck with his new bike.
    I wish my girlfriend got it.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

I throw poo
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Can you get her replaced under warranty?
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

I dig trails!
    Nice One!

Throw an old BMXer on an MTB and watch their eyes light up with possibilities.

Playing like a kid again.

Perfect bike pick too.

I wonder if your bro remembers Redline from the BMX days.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Unless you want to ride every ride with her, and have her make you feel guilty if you go out without her, just be grateful for the time to yourself.

Great job E!

Love to hear stories like this, I cant seem to get anyone to bite. My ex GF would ride occassionally and was actually pretty good but never got the bug. I cant seem to get any of my good friends involved, they will happily go on occassion but all think I am nutty for the amount of time and money I spend doing what I love.

Your post motivates me to keep trying!

E !

Yah!

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    That is cool. Getting someone infected with the bug is a good thing. Sounds like he's serious about sticking with it. What's not to like, right?
    I got a call from my Bro. He's back in Texas and hit two of the local trail systems there. O.P. shnabel and Mcallister park. (Which are in the trail reveiw sections).He is hard pressed to find anything as challenging as what he rode out here though. Now he wants to move out to Vegas. Not just because of biking though. Looks like i got one more out of towner to ride with now,when he's down.
    the - E - dog

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    That's one of the best things about cycling, getting someone involved in the sport and seeing how much they really enjoy it. When I worked at a shop I would see people bitten by the bug and rapidly buy better bikes. One friend got another guy he worked with involved and the guy went from a hardtail to a nice FS and then bought a SS, and he is now a heck of a rider. I think these two guy have gotten many of their coworkers to ride. Passion is sometimes easy to pass on.

Sometime riding with new riders is a blast, especially when you get to see how much they enjoy the sport, even after crashes and pain. And it reminds us of why we are in the sport, to have FUN.

Passion for biking, pass it on.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by demtbiker
    Unless you want to ride every ride with her, and have her make you feel guilty if you go out without her, just be grateful for the time to yourself.
    I think I would prefer to have her go with me. She makes me feel guilty for going anyway!
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Members who have read this thread: 0