mtbr member
    Jan 2010

MTB New Zealand, January 2011 - lots of pics

My Wife, Son and I have just come back from a 3 week holiday in New Zealands South Island.
    My wife and I are both Kiwis but had not been back for several years, in which time the growth in the Mountain bike scene has been huge. New Zealand has tried and succeeded in marketing itself as the worlds premier adventure destination particularly centered around Queenstown in the lower center of the south Island.
    AJ Hackett set up the worlds first bungy jumping operation here, jet boats were invented in the south island for the common braded gravel rivers, the ski season is long and consistant, hiking and the pristine environment all being prime atractions
    But our interest for the 7 days we spent Queenstown was the mountain biking which has recently had a lot of coverage in the Kiwi and Australian MTB press as becoming the Whistler of the south.
    Has it suceeded?
    Having never been to Whistler I find it difficult to comment but from I saw and experienced it making a pretty good attempt.
    The Queenstown MTB club with a lot of support from local council has produced some of the best riding I have every seen, from white knuckle world class DH with a gondola to the top, huge free ride and jump parks to beautiful high country XC, it has it all.
    All set out in a map that will cost you $3.00 US from one of the many first rate bike shops
    Queentown is a town of about 10,000 on the shores of lake Wakatipu. [Crystal clear, 50 miles long, freezing cold and 1380!!! feet deep in parts] ringed by steep mountains with ski fields 20 minutes drive away it make s a pretty cool destination.
    Pumped full of powder hounds during winter and it seems, MTBers, hikers and general tourists in the summer

From the center of town to the top of the peak runs the skyline gondola, as of late Jan this year it has been opened for MTBs for access to the number of fantastic DH runs in the Ben lomond forest.
    Beutifully groomed Black diamond and double black DH trails, all clearly marked run like spagetti down the hill to finish at the base of the gondola station. $70 kiwi dollars [approx $50 US] will get you an all day pass on the gondola.
    Bike hire shops abound with all types of rigs available

Views from the top
    Awesome

My son suiting up for a run

Lift off for my 12 year old son on one run

Scenery and single track

Fancy hitting the local jump park - no problem, its all free!

or maybe doing a little wood work at the Wynyard free ride park - these photos do not do this area justice, a 10 minute ride from downtown.
    Is case you are wondering why we are not in any shots in this area, I'm 46 and sensible, my son is 12 and exactly the opposite but with his dad to control his exuberance

Helibiking. $270 US will get you a bike, in my case a 2011 Giant Reign 2, 1800 meters of vertical decent over 18 kms from well above the snow line to a finish amoungst the vineyards at 200 meters asl
    It is like riding on the moon at the top at just over 2000 meters
    AWESOME

Franz Joseph Glacier on the west coast approx 300km from Queentown - 100 meters above sea level

The river is the Waiho and flows directly OUT of the glacier. The photo was taken at 4.00 pm, air temp was 13 degrees, river temp is around 0.5 degress C hence the mist rising off the river as the freezing [literally] water hits the relatively warm air
    You DONOT want to fall in

My Trance X1 next to the river - full natural colours, no photoshop

I had to throw these two shots in.
    Baldwin Street in Dunedin, a city 200km from Queenstown and is officialy the steepest street in the world, at its steepest it has a grade of 1 in 2.86, I had to have a crack.
    Did I make it, sadly no, about 3/4 of the way up I could not keep a straight line or the front wheel on the deck.

If you are an Aussie, do your self a favour and jump on a plane.
    3 hours from Sydney is riding paradise and at an axchange rate of 1.35 it bloody good value.

We a planning a return visit in real soon

mtbr member
    Very jealous. One of my biggest goals in life is to make it there. Such a beautiful place.
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

High Desert MTBer
    It has been too long since I was in NZ the last time. I have been a few times for work, but never had the opportunity to do very much out in the wild there. Your pictures might just be the spur I need to get me out there again for some leisure time! Truly a beautiful location.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great thread. Thanks for the pics and writeup. Too bad its the other side of the world for me, but who knows maybe one day.

g3h6o3
    Wow, my cousin lives in NZ near Nelson where they have a little farm. I'd like to go visit her and bring my bike!!!

Amazing pictures, I'm jealous.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Village Idiot
    Oct 2007
    I was in Queenstown on the 24th for my birthday, hired a Norco DH bike and had a blast, live in Dunedin
    **** Looking for a Sram 9.0SL rear hub *****

Village Idiot
    Oct 2007
    Hope this works!
    DSCF7027

26 for life.

Here's a pic of me, 2 weeks ago riding the Craigieburn forest.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Outstanding pics and write up.

I'd say that they are well on their way in creating a mountain bike mecca with all the goods.

Stunts, jumps and heli-lift NICE!
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    I wanna ride that boardwork and the jumps so bad, my big bikes are crying right now...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    very cool pictures!

this road is a few blocks from my house. it actually has a steeper grade than Baldwin, but for some reason it never received the title of steepest road
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue

slow
    Great photos and writeup. We did not make it to the south half of the south island on our family's last visit to NZ, but that is exactly where we are planning the next visit. Saving our pennies now and hoping to go back this time next year.

Village Idiot
    Oct 2007
    Some good tracks on/around Signal Hill in Dunedin

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by equinox
    Some good tracks on/around Signal Hill in Dunedin
    Yeah, I know, we went up to the top for a look but it was blowing a gale, raining & freezing cold [10 degrees C - Summer BS!]
    We only had 2 days so had to give it a miss

Village Idiot
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163
    Yeah, I know, we went up to the top for a look but it was blowing a gale, raining & freezing cold [10 degrees C - Summer BS!]
    We only had 2 days so had to give it a miss
    next time

Lets ride!
    looks great!
    11 Ellsworth Evolve still in box
    10 Salsa El Mariachi Ti
    96 Kona Hei Hei Ti

Members who have read this thread: 0