mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Made in Hong Kong ( video + pic )

Hong Kong Cycling
    At the beginning of 2010, six mountain bike lovers volunteered to jointly set up a mountain bike park in So Kwun Wat (Tuen Mun, Hong Kong) with their own money. They rented a piece of land and bought the materials needed for constructing the park. Unfortunately, the number of attendance failed to reach their expectation. Being further held up by other rental/financial problems, the park was finally closed in fall 2010.

At the beginning of 2011, these bike lovers get back together again and have successfully bargained a lower rent with the landlord and the rent is now shared by eight to nine bike lovers. They run the park at their own expenses so that all other bikers can use the park for free. What these bike lovers want is to keep this one and only mountain bike park alive in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong – A Tiny City in the Orient Stuffed with 7 Million People
    It’s pretty hard to move 1 single step in our downtowns like Mong Kok and Causeway Bay every day. No one wants to get squeezed and suffocated in the train or bus in the early morning, so here we got a lot of riders in this crowded yet exciting city. How can they pave their way for cycling in such a tiny place?

For me, the only “benefit” for living in a small city is that within 15 – 30 I could get myself to a mountain bike trail with a van.

The clip shows you one of our cross-country tracks in our city. You must try it if you have a chance visiting here. You will love it!

The Hong Kong government has built us some bike trails. Though it is not 100% covering Hong Kong (as a matter of fact, many of these segmented trails scatter over Hong Kong), some of them do provide the folks with an alternative getting themselves to work.

Photo: These green and red trails connect our small city as one.

Photo: Don’t be scared by these “rock blocks”! Just dodge them and keep riding! Perhaps our government built these only to make these narrow trails even more challenging!

“Okay, can I ride my bike in downtowns?” My Austrian friend asked me once. Of course you can! Like other cities around the world, just always ride on the roads, dude.

Photo: The upper one probably is the most flammable bike you could find in pinkbike.com! No one dares to touch it I guess. And the lower one is a guy doing some lunchbox deliveries with his bike. It’s very common in Hong Kong.

Photo: Sram (Wun Pang Bicycle Company Limited)! Yes, this is one of my favourite bike shops right here in Hong Kong! They sell good stuff!
    Last edited by asali; 04-11-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: a better topic to describe this post

used to be RipRoar
    Looks like fun times! If Im ever in HK Ill be sure to check in....

RideOn

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I'm still trying to get Bill Gates to finance my next trip there...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I would so love to visit the "Orient" some day. Only place I've been is Seoul, Korea and surrounding area.

Surfin' da mountain
    I love seeing that little munchkin catching air!

Des(s)ert Rat
    Thanks! Building and maintaining is hard work, takes a lot of passion!

CoolArrow
    More photos of the bike park! Cool stuff!
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a ton of relatives in HK. I guess that the next time I go I'll have to buy a bike and check out the park=) Good job to everyone who helped build that park!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    I love seeing that little munchkin catching air!
    He's got bigger stones than I do.

Delirious Tuck
    Hmmm... I've been wondering what's more MTB friendly, S'pore or HK. S'pore doesn't have the DH, but it has Ubin, this is tilting my preference to HK even though S'pore is my hometown.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks all support , I will try to upload some more pic later

mtbr member
    very cool video's you ar making me want to siderail my next trip to the orient to hong kong !!!!

mtbr member
    very cool video's you ar making me want to siderail my next trip to the orient to hong kong !!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I may never go to that fascist mess over there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cool kid! Keep up the good work!

Unpredictable
    Thanks for a great post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    love the vid, i am a regular at HK and visit flying ball and bullbike regularly. I will see if i can try this trail next time haha

Delirious Tuck
    Quote Originally Posted by hyrepower
    I may never go to that fascist mess over there.
    Check your history you ignorant cupcake. HK isn't same as mainland china, at least not for another 36 years. Yank ignorance is amazing sometimes.

Bro Mountainbiker
    You should change the title. I almost didn't want to click on it. I thought is was some passion for bikes made in honk kong or something.

Bad ass btw,
    Its cool that a few mountain bikers took it into their hands to open a public park.
    And that midget can shred!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'll be in town next weekend. I'll try to stop by to check things out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here is the Re-Open Party , enjoyed !

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good stuff!

mtbr member
    I miss the days when I could faceplant like the kid at 40 and just not even care

mtbr member
    I miss the days when I could faceplant like the kid at 40 and just not even care

mtbr member
    How do prices compare in the LBS there to here in US? Do they have killer deals if their products are made locally?
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    no killer deals, i was in HK 2yrs ago and prices were through the roof. Prices are better here in North America.

You got to understand that in HongKong mtb in not popular for many reasons. First, it is perceived as something rather extreme, radical and dangerous. In Hong Kong peoples mentality is very work focused; making money is the #1 priority and anything getting in the way of this will be ignored. So people will be afraid to get injured doing something that can potentially put them out of work. Secondly, most people in HK live in very tight living space, sometimes not even enough space for a dinner table let alone a bike. So in this respect, bringing home a dirty mountain bike to put in the living room might not go so well with other occupants in the home setting.

MTB market in HK seems to mostly attract only the social elite where, in most cases, the above mentioned problems don't apply.

Social elite crowd = social elite sport = social elite prices.

mtbr member
    That video is great. Awesome to see the youngsters getting after it.

mtbr member

And lumping all Americans in with one idiot is any better?

Quote Originally Posted by thefriar
    Check your history you ignorant cupcake. HK isn't same as mainland china, at least not for another 36 years. Yank ignorance is amazing sometimes.
    Dude, How about you say something about the person in specific as opposed to an entire nation. By the way, do you actually think we all think this way?

Slave to the grind
    what? no pictures of flying ball?! kidding aside. great job there. hats of to you n your crew.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    pretty wild. I havent lived there in 5 years, but I used to love the mtb trails out behind the prison... Some super flowy and technical singletrack lives in there, just watch out for the occasional ox herd chilling in the middle of the trails...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    cool pics/!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can you rent bikes? I will be there in June.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    reading this thread in Hong Kong

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    http://hkmba.org/

This is the biking organization in HK .
    They are helpful and nice ( for those riders who are interested to ride in HK )
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0