mtbr member

Need advice on On-line shopping

Hi all,

I live in Mexico, perhaps not the best place to buy MTB parts/bikes, and have come to realize that in some cases is even cheaper to buy from online stores in the US - paying all the shipping expenses and import duties - than buying from a local dealer. Not even talk about the limited variety of products and brands offered down here (here is a Bizz Opp).

This is why I am considering buy from an US Online store. I know i´ll be hard, and costly, to get any post sale service or guarantee on whatever I buy. However, what I intend to buy is a hardtail frame, and I am guessing the probabilities of having a defect on it are very small. Anyways I want to take a chance.

I am considering in buying a “2004 rumble” frame, and found two online places selling the product; Cambria and Adrenaline. I really don’t know the reputation of any of them though. Are these places reliable? Is there any other place where I can find this frame for that price? And… talking about online shopping, what kind of parts are not worthy of online buying?

Thanks for your time and you attentions, all comments are welcomed.

Regards,

D.

Eager to get better bike parts in the south.
    Last edited by ritopc; 12-01-2005 at 08:26 PM.

mtbr member
    http://www.nashbar.com/?PID=1454296&...FQ7ISAodRmo7qA

http://www.pricepoint.com/

http://www.supergo.com/

this took almost 37 seconds. try google. We put in our own work around here.
    Just kidding. Good luck.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc
    Hi all,

I live in Mexico, perhaps not the best place to buy MTB parts/bikes, and have come to realize that in some cases is even cheaper to buy from online stores in the US - paying all the shipping expenses and import duties - than buying from a local dealer. Not even talk about the limited variety of products and brands offered down here (here is a Bizz Opp).

This is why I am considering buy from an US Online store. I know i´ll be hard, and costly, to get any post sale service or guarantee on whatever I buy. However, what I intend to buy is a hardtail frame, and I am guessing the probabilities of having a defect on it are very small. Anyways I want to take a chance.

I am considering in buying a “2004 rumble” frame, and found two online places selling the product; Cambria and Adrenaline. I really don’t know the reputation of any of them though. Are these places reliable? Is there any other place where I can find this frame for that price? And… talking about online shopping, what kind of parts are not worthy of online buying?

Thanks for your time and you attentions, all comments are welcomed.

Regards,

D.

Eager to get better bike parts in the south.
    Hi Ritopc

I too live in Mexico. I don't know the latest custom's law in Mexico, but the last time I checked, I think from Fedex or UPS site, you could not ship bike parts to the ports of Mexico city, Guadalajara or Monterrey. This info. may be wrong, but just double check on this.

About prices in Mexico compared to the States, I've found that some were cheaper, some the same and some more expensive.

What I agree with you is product availability. When you're searching for something, it's usually what you see on the store or wait forever for it.

Good luck!

Misfit Psycles
    try to avoid courier companies.
    if you can get the store to ship postal the brokerage, duty, taxes and problems are greatly reduced.

depending on the value of the item brokerage is included in the postal cost.
    just be prepared to wait, depending on your location.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

"El Whatever"
    Hi Ritopc... another mexican forumite here.

It's a difficult situation for us here. To make a long history short, you have to think twice before buying online. Your best bet is to schedule a trip and get the goodies with you.

Parts I would order:
    - Frames
    - Forks
    - Shocks

Things I would not order:
    - Wheels and / or rims
    - Seatposts
    - Handlebars
    - Tires

As for the rest of the components, the shipping and customs prices are so freaking nuts that sometimes the gain is minimal... unless you get a hell of a deal.

Once I ordered an Avid Brake... 65 bucks at Pricepoint. After shipping (DHL only for Mexico at PP) and customs the freaking brake costed me like 140 bucks.

I've bought some loose small parts from the US to some friends, shipping via USPS / Sepomex (Servicio Postal Mexicano) and almost everything I've bought had been cheap and delivered... but expect long delivery times and I still have no confidence to order a fork (for example) this way. If it gets lost at the mail.... you'll never be reimbursed.

Good Luck!!

PS... where are you at in Mexico??

BTW... the best value in suspension components around here are the Fox products. Fairly at the same price they would cost at the US + shipping. Not bad.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Another mexican here; If you're buying a full bike it may be cheaper traveling to El Paso, Sn. Antonio or something like that... I also bought a hard-tail (merida) and the Trek bikes are around 3 times the price here in Mexico... You can pass a bike without paying taxes IF the bike is complete AND part of your lugage, an airline may charge you about $80 USD to transport the bike. In my case I found that the merida bike had good components and a fair price. My next bike will be a F.S. (a Turner maybe!) and will surely be bought in the US.
    For components sometimes you can get good discounts but try to avoid shipping via FedEx, their way of calculating taxes will kill almost any bargain you can get.

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by arivas
    My next bike will be a F.S. (a Turner maybe!)
    Yeah, more Mexico Turner Homers!

I smuggled mine through on Tuesday. If you just bring a frame you don't have to pay the oversize fee!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Yeah, more Mexico Turner Homers!

I smuggled mine through on Tuesday. If you just bring a frame you don't have to pay the oversize fee!
    Thanks for the tip Tigerdog!! It's a valuable one!
    Check my Site

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Thanks for the tip Tigerdog!! It's a valuable one!
    I had to use a full-size bike box and cut it down to size because superformancego didn't have any frame boxes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip! That's a good thing to consider when the time to smugle comes...

mtbr member

Thanks for the advice

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate all your comments; I think I’d better wait a few months and make a flash trip to the north and get a complete bike.

Warp2003 (Rene??), you´re right about fox products, and even marzocchi´s, have a good price around here (with their post sale service and guarantee). It is a shame the variety of frame and complete bike brands is so limited. The general economy doesn´t support more retailers anyway though.

About carrying the bike in the plane, I took mine to Canada (back and forward) when I was living over there; my mistake was not bringing a bike with me at my return to Mexico though. I use to travel with AA and United and they’ve never charged me for oversized luggage; you should consider traveling with them in the future.

Thank you all again for the advice, and have nice ride.

BTW, soy defeño.

Cya.

D.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc
    Thanks guys,

I really appreciate all your comments; I think I’d better wait a few months and make a flash trip to the north and get a complete bike.

Warp2003 (Rene??), you´re right about fox products, and even marzocchi´s, have a good price around here (with their post sale service and guarantee). It is a shame the variety of frame and complete bike brands is so limited. The general economy doesn´t support more retailers anyway though.

About carrying the bike in the plane, I took mine to Canada (back and forward) when I was living over there; my mistake was not bringing a bike with me at my return to Mexico though. I use to travel with AA and United and they’ve never charged me for oversized luggage; you should consider traveling with them in the future.

Thank you all again for the advice, and have nice ride.

BTW, soy defeño.

Cya.

D.
    AA may or may not charge you, depending on the flight dates, cities and humor of the booking officer, the same foes for any airline, I think. AA charges like $50.00 for a bike (because of the oversize box).

It would be good if you buy the whole bike and bring it as a complete package. I think that in customs you can bring any sports equipment that is 'used' and you can carry it.

And Rito... please consider the next gatherign, since the one we were planning didn't follow through... BTW, which bike do you want?

Members who have read this thread: 0