Slow riding mama's boy

Life threw me a curve.

I just wanted to drop a message because I’ve gotten so much enjoyment from this site, even though I haven’t posted nearly as much over the past year or so.

I went to the doctor several months back with some chest pain and shortness of breath. If figured it might be stress related, as I had been going through a long, difficult divorce (is that redundant?) and some job struggles. Even though I’d been trying to manage my stress, I knew it might have not been enough.

Turned out that was it, but they sent me to the hospital to have a few tests just in case. After a couple months of tests and follow up, I was told I need to have open heart surgery next week. My aorta is dilated and the valve is leaking. So I have to have a graft done for the aorta and may have to have the associated valve replaced, which is even more risky. It’s pretty serious stuff, although the odds are still pretty good that I’ll survive it and be okay. I’m 41 and in pretty good shape, so hopefully that helps some.

My doctor told me after the tests that “your divorce might have saved your life. People with this issue generally don’t know they have it. It just bursts and they die.” So, needless to say, I feel very fortunate, especially after remembering how I’ve pushed myself on my singlespeed recently.

Sure does put things in perspective. I spent this week trying to wrap up a lot of loose ends, seeing some people I want to be sure to see, etc. I have two kids and they’re obviously concerned, as is everyone else I care about.

I have a lot of faith and I know that there is a purpose in this, and I feel I’ve been very blessed in life. And I feel confident that things will work out fine, although of course it’s still a little scary. Either way it goes, I know that God can be trusted and He’s ultimately the one who I’ve given my life to. So it’s not really a matter or chance anyway. He’s never let me down, and He won’t now. However it turns out. (Please don’t make this aspect the point of this message. Just sharing my beliefs because of how they affect this. Not trying to convert anybody. )

Anyway, I’m going to try to get in one ride over the weekend. Isn’t it funny how something like riding a mountain bike is still something that I felt I wanted to try to fit in? There’s something about it that almost feels spiritual to me, so it will be great to spend an hour or two appreciating it. I sure appreciate all that God has done for me.

If any of you are the praying type, I’d appreciate any thoughts and prayers. Hopefully in a few months I’ll be back in action, although my chest modeling days are probably over.

Here’s a pic of me from AZ Spring Fling a few years back. Hopefully I’ll be back here in a month or so, assuming all goes well.

With the holiday madness upon us, I hope that you all are reminded how blessed you are too.

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Billy Zoom; 12-02-2005 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Lousy typing

It's like butta baby~ !

Next week

Will be here before you know it and you will get through it...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Good Luck and God Bless

Best of luck to you. I'll keep you in my prayers, Joel.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator

Best of luck and lots of healquick vibes!

I have two uncles who have had valve replacements and both of them are doing great now. Are you going with the pig valve or the mechanical one (or something else)? I wish you the best of luck and know that you'll be back in the saddle quickly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good luck with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Zoom
    I just wanted to drop a message because I’ve gotten so much enjoyment from this site, even though I haven’t posted nearly as much over the past year or so.

I went to the doctor several months back with some chest pain and shortness of breath. If figured it might be stress related, as I had been going through a long, difficult divorce (is that redundant?) and some job struggles. Even though I’d been trying to manage my stress, I knew it might have not been enough.

Turned out that was it, but they sent me to the hospital to have a few tests just in case. After a couple months of tests and follow up, I was told I need to have open heart surgery next week. My aorta is dilated and the valve is leaking. So I have to have a graft done for the aorta and may have to have the associated valve replaced, which is even more risky. It’s pretty serious stuff, although the odds are still pretty good that I’ll survive it and be okay. I’m 41 and in pretty good shape, so hopefully that helps some.

My doctor told me after the tests that “your divorce might have saved your life. People with this issue generally don’t know they have it. It just bursts and they die.” So, needless to say, I feel very fortunate, especially after remembering how I’ve pushed myself on my singlespeed recently.

Sure does put things in perspective. I spent this week trying to wrap up a lot of loose ends, seeing some people I want to be sure to see, etc. I have two kids and they’re obviously concerned, as is everyone else I care about.

I have a lot of faith and I know that there is a purpose in this, and I feel I’ve been very blessed in life. And I feel confident that things will work out fine, although of course it’s still a little scary. Either way it goes, I know that God can be trusted and He’s ultimately the one who I’ve given my life to. So it’s not really a matter or chance anyway. He’s never let me down, and He won’t now. However it turns out. (Please don’t make this aspect the point of this message. Just sharing my beliefs because of how they affect this. Not trying to convert anybody. )

Anyway, I’m going to try to get in one ride over the weekend. Isn’t it funny how something like riding a mountain bike is still something that I felt I wanted to try to fit in? There’s something about it that almost feels spiritual to me, so it will be great to spend an hour or two appreciating it. I sure appreciate all that God has done for me.

If any of you are the praying type, I’d appreciate any thoughts and prayers. Hopefully in a few months I’ll be back in action, although my chest modeling days are probably over.

Here’s a pic of me from AZ Spring Fling a few years back. Hopefully I’ll be back here in a month or so, assuming all goes well.

With the holiday madness upon us, I hope that you all are reminded how blessed you are too.

Joel
    That is very serious surgery for 41. Have you gotten a second opinion? One more thing, make sure the hospital where your going performs at least 200-300 open hearts a year. The quality drops off below that level.
    Romani ite domum

indigosky
    Thinking good thoughts for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve several years ago and told I may eventually have to have valve replacement surgery. So my thoughts and prayers definitely go out to you.

Look forward to seeing your first post-surgery ride post.

contains quinine

Joel

Not funny at all, after family and friends, it would surely be first on my list if I was in your spot. Of course, having friends on that ride would kill 2 birds with one stone!

Here's to getting well soon, and many more bike rides to come!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

beer thief
    Best of luck. Think positive!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Smile

Thanks for a great post that reminds us what is important in life. Most people in your situation get angry , cynical and run and hide. You have put a positive face on a tough kick in the gut. You will be in my prayers and and hope we will see you out there next summer raging on.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Make sure you post updates on how you are doing through the healing process.

don't try this at home
    hey joel,

good luck with everything. really hope it all works out alright and you'll be in the saddle soon enough.

no better time then winter to be off the bike anyways.

let us know how it went?
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

My prayers are with you. My mom had this surgery a few years ago and recovered well, you should do the same.

Good luck and happy recovery training.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    God Bless Joel, Thanks for the great post.

Freshly Fujified

Amen, brother

Excellent attitude to have. Put it in His hands, and trust that the God-given skillful hands of the surgeon will repair the damage. You'll be in my prayers.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Cheezy Rider
    ... although my chest modeling days are probably over.
    No problem, I can fill in for you! Seriously, good luck, keep up the positive 'tude.

life is a barrel o'fun
    Seems like a bunch of heart stuff is going around. Hope everything goes smoothly!

Biking is helping me through a rough time, too. Nobody here thinks it's unusual to ride in response to stress, which is what I love about the biking community.

And as long as we can ride, it's a good day
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member
    Good luck and rest well. I'm a firm believer that God doesn't give us anymore then we can handle, it seems that you have a handle on this with him.
    My thoughts are with you!!
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

pewpewpew Moderator
    Thanks for sharing that. You have a lot of people here who will be awaiting your return, so heal quickly!!!

Look out!
    Better check with your doctor before your last ride, I had a friend, Bill, who had the same problem but it was diagnosed as "acid reflux". He was riding one day and felt really weak. His riding partner went for the pick up truck and by the time he got back Bill was just about ready to pass out. Bill died on the way to the hospital. Best of luck and good luck. Heal up and get back on the bike. I wouldn't worry about the chest modeling, "chicks dig scars", right?

Mark
    Ride the bike.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    I will be praying for you. What day and time is your surgery?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

those are Rollercams...
    Only the best to you.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

That's gonna leave a mark
    I'd wish you luck, but I don't believe you will need it. All will be well. Your bike will be waiting for you to put it through the paces again. And I look forward to reading your riding posts during the recovery. I'm not a religious man, as I admittedly have never believed in a creator. However, if it means anything, my thoughts will still be with you.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member

Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of...

My younger brother has some Bovine in his heart now, thanks to a leak such as yours. We are lucky his Doctor caught the leak soon enough before it was too late.

Long story short: Had the surgery in August '03 and was back on his bike that November. Took him a little while to get back up to the front of the pack, but he is definitely back.

If you want to talk to him about this, just in case you want some answers from a MTBer point of view, pm me and I'll put you in touch with him.

jps

Keep The Rubber Side Down

... and if we just ... God speed...

quick recovery vibes heading your way
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Slow riding mama's boy

Thanks so much everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by zon
    I will be praying for you. What day and time is your surgery?
    It's wednesday at 7am. Thanks a lot.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us Ephesians 3:20

your in my prayers...looking forward to seeing your posts as your recover
    Your Brother in Christ
    DMR

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Life is not a given, but a gift!!

You will be back and shredding it in no time!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    you have my prayers friend

as for the riding - i can identify with you

my bike not only got me through my divorce, but it also whipped me into shape and has done wonders for my post-divorce dating life

i say it is the cheapest therapy available - and it will work great as a cardiac rehab program too

and who knows - you may come out of this with a freakish VO2 max and go on to dominate the sea otter classic 7 years in a row
    clunger

surly inbred
    Thoughts & prayers are with you.

My church is the woods and I expect to hear that you are back partaking in regular singletrack sermons quickly.
    Last edited by TroutBum; 12-02-2005 at 09:01 PM.

Rolling
    WOW, A coworker of mine just had this surgery. She got a pig valve. She did really well in the surgery and is strong. I think her only complication is some poor healing of the collarbone where it meets the sturnum.

BTW, if you have to get a valve, are you going for the pig valve or the mechanical one? That seems like a hard question to answer if I was in that situation.

Salad Days
    Best of luck.

MTBr ReMember

Log on to a friends computer and...

...what a post Joel!

I'll race you up Bell Rock Pathway this spring...
    Heal quick.

BTW...Riding is the cure...I've been off work for two years and the only consistant thing is riding and the Passionites.
    I'm now starting a new career that keeps me in cycling and may even pay the bills.

We'll keep our thoughts going your way.
    Tim

It's the axle

We're sending good thoughts your way!

I used to work in cardiology and have seen several valve replacement surgeries. You are young and in shape. And they've refined this operation.

I also want to say that my neighbor is 87 years old and just had either a mitral or aortic valve replacement. So........ you will be back to tell us how it went.

mtbr member

Can't they

make the valve out of something bike related like Ti or carbon fiber or other space age material? Seriously though, good luck.

I lost my mother a while back and that sent me into a major depression where the mountain biking pulled me out where the Prozac couldn't.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Not helpful.

You'll be fine...

...and we'll ride again next year at Annadel, right? Right!

Keep us posted.

Gary

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    you'll be fine! work with valve and open heart stuff fairly often, and at your age, you should cruise right on through!

heal up, and keep us posted on how things progress with the recovery!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Wishing you and yours the best...

Remember James 1:2-3

LP

mtbr member

Best wishes from Denmark...

Thoughts will be with you, hope to see you back here really soon!

Keep us posted.

Thomas

Binge Rider
    You'll be fine. You said and know everything that I would tell you. I had spine surgery with a total disc replacement in my neck (C6/C7) in July and I'm already back on the bike. The miracles of modren medicne are awesome when combined with God's healing hands! Relax and rest.
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer" General Patton

CAUTION: ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION CONFUSES ME

here today

And France

Quote Originally Posted by Maskedman
    Thoughts will be with you, hope to see you back here really soon!

Keep us posted.

Thomas
    Look forward to the recovery, you'll be able to spend some time here!

godspeed!
    old fart cyclist

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    make the valve out of something bike related like Ti or carbon fiber or other space age material? .
    Actually mechanical valves work really well. There are two problems though. They click and the person has to take blood thinners to prevent clots.

The pig valves are almost perfect but only for around 20 years.

Faller - Expert Class

You'll be back!!

You'll be back and better than ever. I'm sure everyone's thoughts in here will be with you Wednesday at 7am when we look at the clock. Best wishes to ya.
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

banned
    Good luck, heal quick!

Part-time rider

<< -- Sending quick-healing vibe

You'll be back on your bike before you know it!

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

xtrememaniak
    Nov 2005
    [I hope all is fine. Good luck to you and the Docs taking care of you. Hey maybe you'll get a cute nurse out of this. As soon as you come through this- keep on riding!!!

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    I'm looking forward to your 1st post-surgical post. Let us know how it goes!

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Best of luck!

And try to think positive.....it makes a huge difference.

Want to vent?
    Good luck with the surgery.......i had my stomach opened up twice in 2004....ugh.......and MTB raced again in 2005..........modern surgery is amazing ..................you'll be back on the bike in no time........just start off easy......
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Good luck to you, your story reminds me that no matter how much stress or a hard time one goes through, there is always someone else with more on their plate.

I hope you have the Happiest of Christmas's and that your New Year is the start of many more happy ones!

Probably drunk right now

My prayers coming your way....

I'll drop a few for you. Godspeed and a quick recovery.

Ken

mtbr member
    May 2004

What a great group we all belong to here at mtbr!

Reading this brought me great joy. All this love being generated reminds me of how much good there is in the world we live in.

Joel, you have such a great attitude considering all you're going through! This will aid in your recovery and you'll be back on the SS in no time.

Cyclist
    I'm not very religous unless you call mountain biking a religion, but I'll be thinking of you on my next ride.

Good vibes coming your way from riders all over the country. That's got to count for something.

T
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Joel,
    My thoughts are with you through this. I have a BAV with severe regurg with AAA (4.5cm). If you have not been to it yet please go to www.valvereplacement.com it's a great site and most of us have either been through this surgery or will be through it soon. It will handle all the questions you have as well. If you are going with a mechanical valve go to http://www.warfarinfo.com/ it deals with the issues of being on coumadin. You will be through this and back on the bike before you know it. If you have any questions or want to chat feel free to PM me.

David

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

good luck

you'll be riding soon

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Hey, sorry I'm coming into this late.

Best of luck to you my friend.

I'm forty and this is one of my biggest fears. Things are going well for the family but anyone of us can get hurt or fall ill. It's not likely but I think about it a lot.

Anyway, be strong and know that we're all rooting for you.

francois

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All of our family's prayers are with you and your doctors tonight and in the morning. Keep the faith, it will not fail you.
    c

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm
    That is very serious surgery for 41. Have you gotten a second opinion? One more thing, make sure the hospital where your going performs at least 200-300 open hearts a year. The quality drops off below that level.

I do agree with the second opinion, I hope your PCP (primary physician), and cardiologist considered the sport that you are passionately involved in. The implication for this is the blood thinner that you'll be on indefinitely. But if it is the case then... Good luck and may God guide the cardiac surgeon(s) hands, and may your recovery be a speedy one...
    JD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone heard how our boy is doing?
    c

trying to ride
    Sep 2005
    I haven't posted here much but my thoughts will be with you and your family !

Stay strong
    Adam

trekker
    Jul 2005
    I'm not the "praying type," per se, but I do wish you the best of health and to post the nitty-gritty details and cool scars you get aftwards.

My family is big on religion, I'll have them put in a word at their church to pray for you.

I don't believe in luck, but best of health. Stay strong and don't flirt too much with the hot nurses

James

Old School

Joel -- Heal Well My Boy!

Hope you are resting, recovering, and itching to hit the trail again soon.

Here's to cycling, good health, and AZSF06!!

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Good luck man! I'm a fellow 41 year old and cancer survivor. Riding still ranks right up there.

You'll be back in no time.

good luck man... it's stories like this that keeps the rest of us on our toes as well.. just a reminder to the rest of us to be thankful for what we have...
    testimonies like urs remind me to keep my body in check, and to keep up with the doctor appointments.. regularly and also when something doesn't feel right. My uncle passed away from cancer.. he was sick for a real long time.. and didn't go to the doctor. By the time he did go, the cancer had spread too much. Just a remind to our family not to take those aches and pains too lightly.

Cheney for Sith Lord '08
    Good luck man...I'm shakin' the chicken bones for ya,trying to get some good juju goin'.Hope they don't give ya a Foley !
    R.I.P.-George Carlin

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Good luck

And get well soon.

Greetings,
    Cristián

5 x 5

Best wishes

Good vibes coming your way.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Ok, it's been more than 7 days and no word from Billy Zoom...

Can someone from Southern CA look him up and see if he's ok?

Birthday:
    October 12
    First Name:
    Joel
    Last Name:
    Dempsey
    From
    (City, State or Country):
    Orange County, CA

francois

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    He's been on my mind a lot this week too. I thought about him while doing a cold weather epic night ride with Striker last night, knowing that as miserable as my numb feet were, that Billy Zoom probably would love to be riding with us instead of laying in a bed.
    c

MTBr ReMember

I called both...

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Ok, it's been more than 7 days and no word from Billy Zoom...

Can someone from Southern CA look him up and see if he's ok?

Birthday:
    October 12
    First Name:
    Joel
    Last Name:
    Dempsey
    From
    (City, State or Country):
    Orange County, CA

francois
    ...phone numbers I have for Joel and no return yet...
    If I hear anything I'll post.
    Tim

VTT
    mtbr member
    I was browsing through the SoCal forum and saw your post. I will be thinking about you on my ride today and I hope everything went well with your surgery. Merry Christmas and the best of health for next year.

Alain

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Healing vibes to you!

Same thing happened to my dad a few years back - only his burst. The doctors told him only 1 in 10 survive a thing like that, but he's still kicking around. Wicked chest scar, and a bit of teflon piping though.

Definitely check with your doc before you ride again.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

Medium?

Bump

Anyone heard from BZ? It's been a week...

Freshly Fujified
    O.P. said he'd be back in a month. Hopefully someone in the know can post an update.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member

Joel
    That sounds all too familiar to me in some ways, though not really in others. Sorry maybe this will clear things up a little. My name is also Joel. On Oct 12th I broke my collar bone and was sitting arround thinking wo is me. I wasn't remembering the old saying things can alway get worse. And be greatful for what you have. Then on Nov. 23rd I accidentaly shot myself with a pistol through my right thigh. I the bullet missed the femur but hit the femural artery and I nearly died. I lost half my blood by the time the Life Flight helicopter was able to come pick me up from the mountain side where I was and take me to the hospital. Neadless to say my flirt with death has made it very easy to remember how fortunate I am and how good life is. I am so sorry to hear about your surgery and I hope all goes great for you. Not to be as my wife says "Tony Robbins" but keep life positive!

Joel D.
    `..><((((>`..`..`...><((((>`. .`..`...><((((> `.. `..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Merry Christmas Billy Zoom.
    c

Members who have read this thread: 0