wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

Lets discuss what should be in "Passion"

There seems to be a major "house cleaning" going on in this forum. My page shows 22 posts remove/moved whatever to another location. I get some of it but are these posts a symptom of too many forums to know what goes where and where to find whatever we're looking for? (Yes that's a run-on sentence)

How fragmented do our forums need to before they become too burdensome to filter through and find what is supposedly the correct place to post/look for stuff?

I think MTBR is become a little too detailed with forum specialization. Now, I really like this site. I've made good friends and had good times with many folks here so don't take this a just whining but wondering whatsupwitdis?

Cranky old user voice...I remember when there were just a few forums and everyone from everywhere would post ride reports, clash, comment etc. Now I don't see AZ or CO, East Coast stuff as much since many people just post in their regional forums. My NorCal forum has most of our ride posts, these rarely show up in Passion. I don't have time or desire to wander through a bunch of different forums to find or just peruse stuff. So, I limit myself to NorCal, Passion, occasional General and the Knolly forum. Many other forums do not even receive a glance. I think there are close to 140 forums listed.
    If things get too fragmented, things fall apart.

Thoughts?
    Don't harsh my mello

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004
    This sounds more like a "General" post than a "Passion" post

My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

since 4/10/2009
    To some degree, I'm with you.

But I remember the later days on the last forum software that a post in one of the boards could have been wiped from page 1 in half an hour.

If the forum was like that, I'm sure you'd want it to be split up more. I honestly post the most in the GPS forum and in General. I don't post a lot in Passion because I don't take many photos of my rides (my local trails are short, and I tend to spend my time riding rather than snapping photos), and I'm not the most eloquent writer, which I think is the kind of material best suited for Passion. Too much emphasis on technical writing in school, I suppose.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by neveride
    This sounds more like a "General" post than a "Passion" post...
    I actually agree with that.

People asking for freaking computer hardware advice? I mean, come on. This is a bike site, and this is a forum purely concerned with passion for riding.

If it doesn't have good riding-related prose, good pix or video, it's gone. Period.

Like this thread.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    Thoughts?
    It will never be like the good ole days of looking at the source code to grab an IP address and then tracking down some coward's sock puppet and having a laugh at their expense.

It will never be like the good ole days when "General" was actually "tech talk general" and not the "hey, somebody just sent me this funny video of a cat driving a car" or "what's the best furniture for a loft in Bismark, ND?"

The forums are fragmented but many folks who start inane threads in Passion apparently can't understand what the following means:

Passion (88 Viewing)
    Share riding experiences.

p.s. Rockville 8 am Sunday. Be there, be rhombus.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    More online forum talk rules?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

EDR
    I don't feel much like "discussing".

But you did mention AZ. Here's a semi-comical SoMo x-post from Grave9...hope he doesn't mind. (ya, your right, the best stuff is kept local nowadays). There have been a lot of great videos on the AZ board lately, most of which won't be seen by most MTBR'rs.

from Drew Hutchinson on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    There are so many members here they can afford to break it down into ridiculously small subforum topics.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Things went "downhill" here ever since scorpionwoman stopped posting.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55
    n Polarris n Stine n *rt* n a bunch of others.

mtbr member
    As long as screampint keeps posting with photos, I'm ok.

mtbr member
    I say they should keep going and sort out all the forums. Remove stuff like "Do Eggbeaters work" or "What seat is best" from the 29er forum, etc.

mtbr member
    I don't understand what passion is supposed to be about. Kill it and just have General.

Granny Gear Abuser
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug
    As long as screampint keeps posting with photos, I'm ok.
    x2
    I am not worn out, I am just taking my bike for a walk!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Depending on this evening's fermented beverage intake, I should be able to make that
    Don't harsh my mello

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    discuss whatever you want @ www.f88me.com !

(heh)
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    i liked it when it was mostly ride pics.

another bozo on the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by joshman108
    i liked it when it was mostly ride pics.
    I agree. General Discussion used to be at the top and it seems since Passion moved up there we get a bunch of high school kids asking about how cold is too cold and how hot is too hot. What's too wet and too much snow. Ride bike, take pics, and write about how great it was. Chicks posing with bikes? I believe there are sites that deal only in that. til your heart is content.

I used to post much more, but it seems people are more interested in what's best, who is posing next to what bike and how it sucks that I9 gold doesnt match the King Rasta headset, rather than peeping the pics. I have just been posting elsewhere.
    Last edited by washedup; 02-13-2011 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Share riding experiences.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouchy The Clown
    It will never be like the good ole days...
    Yet you've only been here a month
    Can we get a sock puppet shout out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55
    Yet you've only been here a month
    Can we get a sock puppet shout out!
    Wrong.

Not a sock puppet.

If you're still struggling for understanding just let me know and I'll buy you a clue.

Or I'll let you wallow in that sea of confusion that you're stuck in.

bi-winning
    There seems to be a major "house cleaning" going on in this forum. My page shows 22 posts remove/moved whatever to another location. I get some of it but are these posts a symptom of too many forums to know what goes where and where to find whatever we're looking for? (Yes that's a run-on sentence)

How fragmented do our forums need to before they become too burdensome to filter through and find what is supposedly the correct place to post/look for stuff?

I think MTBR is become a little too detailed with forum specialization. Now, I really like this site. I've made good friends and had good times with many folks here so don't take this a just whining but wondering whatsupwitdis?

Cranky old user voice...I remember when there were just a few forums and everyone from everywhere would post ride reports, clash, comment etc. Now I don't see AZ or CO, East Coast stuff as much since many people just post in their regional forums. My NorCal forum has most of our ride posts, these rarely show up in Passion. I don't have time or desire to wander through a bunch of different forums to find or just peruse stuff. So, I limit myself to NorCal, Passion, occasional General and the Knolly forum. Many other forums do not even receive a glance. I think there are close to 140 forums listed.
    If things get too fragmented, things fall apart.

Thoughts?
    I also spend most of my time and my posts in my regional forum - Eastern Canada. I used to cross post some of my picture posts in Passion, but it seemed like they got few views, and few (if any) comments. I find it more enjoyable to share with riders I actually know, or who might actually ride the same trails.

NateHawk did make a good point about how quickly a post would fall off the first page (and be forgotten), if there were only a few sub forums.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    [QUOTE=washedup]I agree. General Discussion used to be at the top and it seems since Passion moved up there we get a bunch of high school kids asking about how cold is too cold and how hot is too hot. What's too wet and too much snow.

Plus one.General should be at the top.

NedwannaB

Heh. Too funny

Quote Originally Posted by norton55
    Yah what's that all about??.....

Edit: In keeping it under the "Passion" topic, I allways longed for her posts.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Rolling
    I recall the days when passion was the only forum I considered useful content and the CO forum was full of the idiots who just troll. Now I find myself there more.

The bike brand forums have become a clique.

Otherwise, I think mtbr has changed with the new generation having different motivations and the popularity of facebook.

Blame it on Pete leaving.

Scorpiowoman left? I didn't know that, but I'm not bothered by it. That people care about that right there says what they want in the quality of posts.

How about BrianC, Does anyone remember his posts? AndyN doesn't post anymore either. Where are these producers?
    Last edited by lidarman; 02-13-2011 at 10:54 PM.

NedwannaB

Rockville Passion

Depending on this evening's fermented beverage intake, I should be able to make that
    Where's that ride going to fall under, here or NorCal? Don't see it in either yet.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Yah what's that all about??.....

Edit: In keeping it under the "Passion" topic, I allways longed for her posts.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    [QUOTE=Huck Pitueee]
    Quote Originally Posted by washedup
    I agree. General Discussion used to be at the top and it seems since Passion moved up there we get a bunch of high school kids asking about how cold is too cold and how hot is too hot. What's too wet and too much snow.

Plus one.General should be at the top.
    plus two. I hate the "Official blah blah" threads that get posted. Punt that cr@p back to PB.

mtbr dismember

Some local passion

I agree that the passion forum has become pretty boring and it includes too much non mountain biking crap. I've been posting most of my local rides and photos in the Norcal forum because I don't think many people are interested in hearing about ordinary, everyday local rides. But here is one from Saturday. Is it Passion worthy?

Des(s)ert Rat
    Far better than many inane threads here. I would love to see more photography from the trail.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    I don't understand what passion is supposed to be about. Kill it and just have General.

Look at Anthony Sloan's Passion (Thread Index), you'll understand.

mtbr dismember

Always enjoy yours

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Far better than many inane threads here. I would love to see more photography from the trail.
    I always enjoy your posts and photos. I post a local ride with photos nearly every week. But I figure they are only of interest to locals. Here are a few more from Ft. Ord.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Thanks! Weekend photos are up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6
    Thanks for making my point. A lovely thread but currently on page 4 of this forum with nothing added this year. I'd suggest putting it in General and stickying it.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Ride reports, photos, videos and such. Less one-up-manship, more sharing the ride.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    Thanks for making my point. A lovely thread but currently on page 4 of this forum with nothing added this year. I'd suggest putting it in General and stickying it.

He passed away a few years back.

AZ
    banned

/\ This , all that needs to be said .....................IMHO.

mtbr member
    He passed away a few years back.
    Yeah, I get it. And the thread he inspired is currently passing away on page 4 of this forum.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Here's an example.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouchy The Clown
    Wrong.

Not a sock puppet.

If you're still struggling for understanding just let me know and I'll buy you a clue.

Or I'll let you wallow in that sea of confusion that you're stuck in.
    Wow, the ban-hammer fell quickly and decisively. Maybe you're slipping Pete . See ya [too] soon

Members who have read this thread: 0