Des(s)ert Rat

Latest installment of ride and food photos....

And this might be the last. I'm so excited to say that I have a commercial outfitters permit for the BLM lands in the Grand Valley of Western Colorado (Fruita and Grand Junction)! What does that mean? It means that I am one of the few legal mountain bike guides for my area. It also means that my photos may be construed as spam. Anyway, since I haven't guided anyone thus far and these photos are not from any trips or tours, I'll post them. In the future, I may only post photos that are from trips out of my area or possibly from races. I really do enjoy sharing my photos and hope you have enjoyed them, too.

First things first, happy Year of the Rabbit! I've got a bit of Asian blood in me and I do enjoy a good get together:

This becomes Red Velvet cake (red being the appropriate color for CNY).

I also made chocolate chip cookies and enough eggrolls to use up 6 packages of eggroll wrappers.

The next morning we went here:

There was a bit of snow in some sections, but it was so worth it!

The stone bunny:

In most areas there was little or no snow:

This guy below is legally blind. He has to follow relatively close in some sections to follow the line of the rider ahead:

The we were treated to this series:

First there was just one across the river:

Then there were two:

Then they flew by at eye level, only 15 feet away as we were heading back. We stopped, I went ahead with my camera (hoping for something, anything) and got these shots:

Then on Sunday, we went out. I took a little time to think of my mom (it was her birthday). She's been gone for almost 18 years, still miss her:

We didn't see any eagles or amazing wildlife on this ride, but since it was Sunday, it was appropriate to ride this trail:

The Holy Cross:

And just a reminder we found, trails don't build themselves:

Back at the house, I fired up the espresso machine and we warmed up with some cappuccinos (breve style, of course):

Cheers to a dawn of new beginnings!

Last edited by screampint; 02-07-2011 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing! And best of luck with your new future

mtbr member
    Congrats, are you setting up your own tour company or joining one?
    Let us know and hopefully you can help us one day

Bike Matron
    Jul 2004
    I felt a little thrill and a pang of "homesickness" just seeing the thread title, and was not disappointed. Beautiful pictures and what a gift to see eagles.
    I think the grass is Indian Rice Grass (a native). You see it where there is no disturbance from grazing. I've always enjoyed seeing it.

Congrats on your permit! I know it isn't an easy process to get one! You (or a fellow spirit) posted a thread about a hike/boat/bike trip a couple years ago. Can you go joint with other permit holders and do this commercially? Bliss.

mtbr member
    Aloha Scream,

Once again, thanks for posting. Excellent. Also, congrats on that achievement. Great job. I've only ridden out there in Fruita once and loved it. I often pass through GJ when I'm headed to Crested Butted.

I say KEEP 'UM COMING!! I won't think they're spam.

Aloha,
    g

Des(s)ert Rat
    You (or a fellow spirit) posted a thread about a hike/boat/bike trip a couple years ago.

This thread perhaps? That was a fun adventure!

Des(s)ert Rat
    Setting up my own, with a partner. Click on the link in my signature to get to our Facebook page. The website still needs work.

Des(s)ert Rat
    I wouldn't want to upset the powers that be. However, an ad campaign will include mtbr.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Thank you!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Awesome pics as usual, I can't see where posting passion pics would be spam? I hope you keep posting ride and cookie pics!

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Nice post 'n pics. That first shot of the eagle pair face to face is excellent.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Honestly there are times I come to the forums just for your pics.

Makes me want to ride.

I vote NOT spam!

mtbr member
    Sweet stuff there SP, please keep 'em coming, always great to see real passion pics and you've got the eye and equipment to provide them. Good luck in your endevour, hope it's super sucessful and you manage to take loads of fantastics pics to share with us.

BTW, your linky no worky.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Best of luck, sounds like an awesome job!

I can't seem to get that FB link to work... anyone else having the same problem?
    this space left intentionally blank

Des(s)ert Rat
    Hmmmm.... Let me look into the link problem.

Anybody else have issues?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    awesome as usual. best of luck in your new venture. keep posting, we won't snitch

Young, Shawn Young
    Most excellent!
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Never mind the trail shots - just keep the cookies coming!

Seriously though, no way is good trail passion going to be construed as spam. It is not like Anthony held back too much on that account. I for one very much enjoy your picture posts and they would be a great loss.

Loved the eagles in this post - the two of them facing on the ledge is superb. We have rarely seen anything but turkey buzzards on our trips so that is a real treat
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

mtbr member
    Awesome pictures and good luck on the new venture....Eagles are really cool and your pics came out really nice

mtbr member
    Great pictures especially the eagles....amazing. We are completely snowed in now up on the Front Range.....

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new job, and thanks for the pictures!
    2013 Moots MootoX YBB

mtbr member
    Dangit, now I'm hungry again. Thank you. And cograts on the permit! I'll have to check out the FB page from home later, can't get to it from work.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for that, S.- awesome pics! - and congrats on the permit. Reminds me of the expression "Do what you love, and love what you do." Few of us ever truly reach that state, but I'm guessing you're getting there. Best of luck to you.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Great pics. I always check your posts out. I vote nonspam. Keep the pics coming.

This guy below is legally blind. He has to follow relatively close in some sections to follow the line of the rider ahead:

I don't see anyone in front, just what to me looks like the top of a cliff. I hope you didn't lose him..

Des(s)ert Rat

Snow Ride Photos from today....

Well, our weather changed drastically, as did the trail conditions. This is what today's ride looked like:

mtbr member
    What are
    Some of the routes you run tours on I was thinking of doing one with my fiancee. How much and how much singletrack?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Very super pics Screampint!!! I am soooo jealous of you getting to enjoy that sweet Western Colorado life..... If I could find an IT job with the VA out there, I'd be out there yesterday.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics. Love the eagles!

Team Fearless Descender
    Scream -

Well, as others have said, "love the eagles"! Great stuff. I've been out to Fruita two times now (from Los Angeles), and love the shop (OTE, and the one in Hurricane - nod to FixieDave), and the pizza!!! So, looking at your shots, I can remember the spots along the trail. Of course it was late spring, as we were heading to Crested Butte, and or Moab as well, so the temps did not support snow! I think we were riding by 6am to "beat the heat".

Hoping to make it back to the fruit this year. Always enjoy your posts / pix.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Keep the rubberside down
    Dec 2004
    Screampint - Thanks for the great pictorials...awesome eagle shots!! I live in Pac NW so seeing other landscapes is always a great part of MTBing. I have been a guide (flyfishing) for years and have loved it, you're gonna love getting paid for sharing your passion with your clients. Keep up the good work and attitude!!

The White Jeff W
    Love this shot.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Wow. Nice pics screampint. Makes me want to plan a trip out west, I haven't been out there in such long time. (and another vote for NOT SPAM)
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Very cool to see the eagles! I saw a Golden eagle on my run at lunch the other day, almost made the run enjoyable (OK it did).

Thanks for the desert inspiration, it feeds the fire to plan mtb trips this Spring.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Desert Rat Tours is permitted to guide day trips in Fruita (18 Road, Kokopelli Loops to Rabbit Valley) and the Lunch Loops/Tabaguache area in Grand Junction. There is a good amount of singletrack in all those places. I could put something together for you guys that could include a wine tour of the local wineries and staying at a winery. Just guiding and transportation will run about $100 a day per person, if you want rooms and wine tours, those are add-ons.

PM me with any questions so this doesn't get any more "spam-like."

Granny Gear Abuser
    The rabbit may be found in Stuff Posing As Meat, but your pics may not!!
    I am not worn out, I am just taking my bike for a walk!

Members who have read this thread: 0