Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    63

    Just happy to be on one track, two wheels and one gear.

    Today I skipped out of work early and drove 90 mins to a new trail. It was not the prettiest day, the greatest trail or the best ground conditions (it is also a horse trail so pretty cut up and swampy in places) BUT I was so happy just to be out there.

    I hit some lines wrong but also nailed a few which made me smile. I tried to brake less and pedal more and succeeded until my fitness failed me. BUT I was still so happy to be out there.

    Missed a turn and added 5 miles to my ride. Happy to go the extra distance. My dog wasn't...

    The whole thing was enhanced by riding my rigid SS. The happiest, funnest bike I know.

    While some want the lightest, squishiest, 30speediest bike on the most perfect trails while eating energy bars and drinking protein shakes others make the most of what we have around us (and still hit the trails for 15+ hours a week!)

    PASSION!

  2. #2
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,681
    There is beauty in simplicity.
    I ride with the best dogs.




  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dadstoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    270

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    375
    why is it taboo to ride bikes in wet conditons but all right to ride horses.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,732
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002
    why is it taboo to ride bikes in wet conditons but all right to ride horses.
    T'is an age old mystery...

  6. #6
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24,362
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002
    why is it taboo to ride bikes in wet conditons but all right to ride horses.
    You can spray off a horse with a pressurized jet of water to knock the mud off and it's not going to cost you a bunch of money later replacing bearings.

    Most horse people don't care about the trail conditions.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,121
    Just be happy you can ride... it's still low 30's here and snowy/muddy.

  8. #8
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,355
    I had a great ride today too. Granted, it was raining and windy and a road ride and I only got 5 miles in, but it was also my first ride in three months, after knee surgery last December. Before today I'd worried that I'd kinda gotten out of riding and moved on to other things to take up my time. That was not the case, AT ALL.

    I has also drunk the eggbeaters aid. I've usually used SPDs, but those were trashed and I decided to try eggebeaters because they're cheaper and lighter than my M520s. I can't get over how much I like the eggbeaters!
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  9. #9
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,943
    Dude you remind me of shel silverstein.

    Something about "i was still so happy to be out there" really rings of me.

  10. #10
    The Road Warrior
    Reputation: LandSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by keene1
    Today I skipped out of work early and drove 90 mins to a new trail. It was not the prettiest day, the greatest trail or the best ground conditions (it is also a horse trail so pretty cut up and swampy in places) BUT I was so happy just to be out there.

    I hit some lines wrong but also nailed a few which made me smile. I tried to brake less and pedal more and succeeded until my fitness failed me. BUT I was still so happy to be out there.

    Missed a turn and added 5 miles to my ride. Happy to go the extra distance. My dog wasn't...

    The whole thing was enhanced by riding my rigid SS. The happiest, funnest bike I know.

    While some want the lightest, squishiest, 30speediest bike on the most perfect trails while eating energy bars and drinking protein shakes others make the most of what we have around us (and still hit the trails for 15+ hours a week!)

    PASSION!
    I was with you until it turned into a fixie thing. Your post sucks

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CYCLEJCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed
    I was with you until it turned into a fixie thing. Your post sucks

    SS doesn't = fixie

  12. #12
    Clydesdale by CHOICE!!!!!
    Reputation: rcp916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    39
    Where's the pix here's mine. NEVER DOG ANOTHER MAN'S WHEELS!!!!! EVEN IF IT WAS A FIXIE that's just not cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just happy to be on one track, two wheels and one gear.-cannondale-closeup.jpg  


  13. #13
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,108
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002
    why is it taboo to ride bikes in wet conditons but all right to ride horses.
    That's why you would ride a rigid singleschpeed izsn't it. No weather can affect it. No bearings, no chainlube, no worries, just riding. Seems that way with my SS riding buddies. All for the fun of getting out fast and often. (Not saying they destroy wet trails by the way)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    426
    I ride single speed right now while I am in graduate school. just doing it to save money. Didn't realize how much I would save as compared to a bike with all the transmission on it. in fact i just had to put my 29er GF away in the shed until I graduate because it has so many problems and I need to save money. Just happy to ride. SS does = simple.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

  15. #15
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    That's why you would ride a rigid singleschpeed izsn't it. No weather can affect it. No bearings, no chainlube, no worries, just riding. Seems that way with my SS riding buddies. All for the fun of getting out fast and often. (Not saying they destroy wet trails by the way)


    ???? Singlespeeds have just as many bearings as most multispeed bikes, and do require chainlube(though a little less).......

  16. #16
    saddlemeat
    Reputation: bsieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    That's why you would ride a rigid singleschpeed izsn't it. No weather can affect it. No bearings, no chainlube, no worries, just riding. Seems that way with my SS riding buddies. All for the fun of getting out fast and often. (Not saying they destroy wet trails by the way)
    Lube chain and adjust tire pressure.

    Remember that when you are getting your two year old latest greatest fork/shock rebuilt and installing new pivots. I bought a house with the money I saved.

    I don't ride on wet trails because around here it's not particularly kind to ss's either, so it's a natural political choice as well. I get to feel smug and self righteous and that is better than feeling dirty and ashamed of myself and going through all kinds of dishonest rationalizing and head in sanding. Plus there's that house... win/win for me!

    I ride with the best dogs.




  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    Lube chain and adjust tire pressure.

    Remember that when you are getting your two year old latest greatest fork/shock rebuilt and installing new pivots. I bought a house with the money I saved.

    I don't ride on wet trails because around here it's not particularly kind to ss's either, so it's a natural political choice as well. I get to feel smug and self righteous and that is better than feeling dirty and ashamed of myself and going through all kinds of dishonest rationalizing and head in sanding. Plus there's that house... win/win for me!

    Singlespeeding = home ownership

    Funny I didn't read that one in the FAQ

  18. #18
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,961
    No chain lube required:


Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.