mtbr member

Just An Average Video Of Average Riders On An Average Day

I posted this to the Western Colorado forum the other day, but a few people have suggested that it may be of interest beyond our state...

from wandr on Vimeo.

The Backstory

I read a post on a bike-related blog last week, that basically asked the question- Is it possible to make an engaging bike video without basing it around a race or featuring a bunch of freeride professionals? After thinking about it for awhile, I basically responded to the guy with a "no, I don't think it is."

That left me with a little problem. You see, we're launching a website soon, and I'd like these kinds of videos to play a role (not sure how big of a role just yet...). I don't race, and I don't really have an interest in racing. I'm also not really a freerider, nor do I have Cam McCaul on my speed-dial. I just have some patient friends, and the trails that we ride.

So we shot this video on Saturday afternoon at the Kokopelli Trails. Yesterday I posted it to the same blog with the comment- "Average riders, certainly not 'freeride', not pro-racer fast. What do you think? Do these types of videos have a place?"

That guy apparently doesn't respond to blog comments, haha. So I'm asking you guys- What do you think? Is there an audience between "helmet cam video" and "NWD"?

--Mark

mtbr member
    I loved watching this video! I think most of us ARE average riders on average days. I liked seeing a video of people having fun, backing off things I slid my butt down on, out for a beautiful ride. More, please.

mtbr member
    Iv'e spent too much time in my life watching videos on the interwebs. Need to spend more time riding.

What I have found, in my opinion, is that the key element to a good video is the goal of making a good video!!

If the goal is to show a big jump, then the viewer sees a big jump. Just a POV to show the trail, then viewers get to see a trail. But when someone wants to make a good video and thoroughly thinks out the music, cuts, editing, camera angles, etc... they usually end up with a pretty entertaining video regardless cycling style.

Check out this thread, its got some good videos along the lines I'm describing

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=663770

I liked your video, very well put together. There is always an audience for good videos!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    wandr,
    Are you starting a new guiding business/B&B catering to mtbers? Sure, show your average client what they are in for. The editing, angles, focus and content are cool; however, lighting is key. The flat lighting makes all the scenery boring. If this were put together by a friend of mine, say, chronicling last summer's mtb trip, it'd be great thing to watch in the dead of winter; but it lacks the pop to really draw potential clients IMO.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Anna, that's what we're trying to figure out, should we do more of these? I'll count your vote in the yes column!

Dans, thanks for sending me to that thread, there is definitely some inspiration in there! I wish that it didn't get hijacked from (what I believe the original poster's intent was) being just great homebrewed riding videos. Next thing you know you've got Danny and Chris and Life Cycles, not exactly your everyday riding! haha But I watched every video, and I thought they were all great!

AJ, hilarious. I'm pretty sure most mtbers would run rings (chainrings?) around me. Not to mention every state/county/bureau has all these rules about insurance and first aid and whatever. That sounds a little too much like real "work." lol Don't get me wrong, the people that are guides (at least the ones I know) work their asses off. But that's my point, I want to have fun on my bike, not work.

Anyway, I know what you mean about the lighting, and I'm glad you mentioned it. The thing is- I'm not really trying to show this trail at its best. I'm trying to show it at its "averagest." If we wanted great light, we could wait until June and shoot for 3 hours, 3 days straight, every evening, with the late summer sun just killing it with awesome shadows, each rider kicking up traildust as they zip by. AND I could get WAY better riders (no lie, I watched a video yesterday of these guys just clearing the entire Horsethief Bench entrance, and they made it look so effortless, it was amazing) that can really destroy the technical sections. But I'm taking what we're given, on whatever day, and trying to show it in the best way we can, so that when people see it, they're not seeing that shrink-wrapped "marketing version" of it. They're seeing the real thing. It just happens to be the real thing, on a specific day that we were there. Know what I mean? Authenticity, I guess. The trail still looks fun, even though the sun isn't out, right? :-)

--Mark

powered by peanut butter.
    Great vid!

The whole thing was well done, and I especially liked the editing between 3:05 - 3:19 and 5:17-5:55. Nice flow, interesting angles, cuts were timed well.

Have you watched TSCheezy's (I may have misspelled his name) vids in his Alaska riding thread? He does some really interesting stuff with camera mounts that make his movies really fun to watch. Lots of unusual and unexpected angles can make even an "average" trail look interesting.

BTW - in my very humble opinion, from what I saw in my short stint in Fruita, the "average" trails there rival the exceptional trails in many other states. You live in a beautiful place!

Edit: I just saw that a few of tscheezy's vids are in the thread that dansMTB linked to above.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Great Job!

For what it's worth...that vid made me want to leave my desk and drive the 21 hours to ride Horsethief. That is such a fun trail and your vid really captured the essence of it. I love the guys at the top of the drop in running to see if someone is actually going to ride it. I have seen that everytime I have been there. You may call the riders average...but that is where most of us live. What is not average is your ability to use the camera. I thought it was very well planned out. I like the sequences with the bikes entering and leaving the frame, the scenery shots to set the stage. The shot at 5:15-5:22 is great. Limited use of helmet cam added sense of motion with out overdoing it. I really enjoyed it and hope to see more. Thanks for sharing!

Surfin' da mountain
    Actually the type of video I most prefer!

This vid makes me want to get out and ride. Whereas the professional videos only make me wish I could ride like them...

Thanks for sharing...and I'll be stalking yer site.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    I think you change the title.

Average Riders on an Average Day in an Extraordinary Location!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I like the video, nice to see that people walk the section at first besides me.

How much time did it take to shoot the video?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I loved the video! I would much rather watch videos like this than ones with freeride professionals...

mtbr member
    Cool, it makes me happy to hear all this positive feedback!

@heartland- I actually don't live out there, I'm in Denver. I agree that the location makes it REALLY easy to pull off a great looking video, so for our next one, we're gonna try to use just one of our regular local trails. Probably be a solid couple weeks before I get around to it, but I'm even MORE curious now to see what happens when you take away the views, and it's just the essence of the trail and the riders themselves.

@cucucachu- That's really the point of all of it- we just want to show people some trails in a way that make them want to ride. I know too many people that just ride the 5 closest trails to their home. I want those people to take a road trip somewhere. Anywhere!

@cabinfever- Thanks! I'm with you on the helmet cam thing, I know some people love watching em, but I can't do it for more than 30 seconds or so.

@fatnoob- Yeah, definitely an extraordinary location! We'll turn the location down a few notches for our next one, just to see if we can still make people want to ride without the scenery!

@summitparkrider- We started shooting around 1pm on Saturday, and we finished up around 6pm, so there was definitely a lot of stopping. We wanted to shoot it in a way though where everything is in order, so 99% of the video is shot as you would experience it while riding it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull that off on every video, but for this one, it was the goal. The only clip that was not shot this past weekend was the opening one behind the video title. That was taken from across the river above Rattlesnake Canyon last fall.

@sportster- Thanks! I don't agree with you, but I appreciate it! hahaha Seriously though, I like watching freeride videos, because it shows me what is "possible". Will I be doing Superman Front Flips anytime in the near future? Not intentionally! lol But I am in awe of the people that can, and I love to see things pushed to the level that they are. Not to mention- any shooting skill in the video that we made was probably subconsciously learned while watching "Follow Me" 200 times in the last year. :-)

--Mark

mtbr member
    I really like your video; personally I liked the second portion better just because you can hear the chain slap and the tire noises over the music. Those background noises just make it click for me.
    Ok now let’s see the next one!

Linoleum Knife
    IMO - the video leaves me feeling meh-tastic. Good quality production, I'd say slightly above average riders, but I didn't bother going past the first 2 min.

BUT - I do believe there would be an audience for it. I've sent my G/F videos of more aggro riders, and she can't associate those videos with HER actually riding the trail. It took me forever to convince her that she would be fine on Porcupine Rim because every video has someone launching off the little ledges.

As for you - I guess it all depends what your target market is for your new company.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I like the video. Good to see riders riding a place that doesn't look WAY, WAY out of my skill level. Or going warp speeds.
    Looking forward to more videos for the average rider!

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    So, how many hours did it take filming this? I'd love to try putting together a little video, but dang, shooting takes up a lot of time.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Normally I don't care for vids, but this was a very enjoyable watch.

Jack
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    @E.T.- Thanks! I'm also all about the noises, you're right, gotta find a good way to get better sound in the next one!

@forkboy- I know I can't please everyone, so let me know what your girl thinks of it!

@bitewerks- I don't even know what warp speed LOOKS like! The only speed I'm familiar with is "stop regularly to take pictures" :-)

@ski_adk- We started filming this on Saturday afternoon at about 1pm, and finished up around 6pm. It didn't take long, but it was 3 times as long as the ride itself usually takes me. Honestly- you sacrifice a lot of the enjoyment of the ride. Nothing kills an awesome downhill quicker than making your friends stop in the middle of it 3 times. I'm just thankful that my friends put up with me!

@Jack- This "not caring for vids" business is coming to an end! Keep an eye out for the next one! To steal forkboy's phrase from above- I promise it will be just as meh-tastic! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Wandr, just wanted to say thanks for the vid. I have built my girlfriend's first mountain bike over the last couple months (during the winter up here in Quebec). I'm pretty excited to share my passion with her but she told me that she feels like I have high expectations for her. Showing her your video allowed me to give her an idea of how riders can approach the same trail differently. Also, it showed her that mtb is not just about high speed and stunts but it can be about the simple beauty of the surroundings, the quality of the people you ride with and exploring your limits.

To answer your question, I do think videos such as yours are truly valuable in that they are the expression of the passion a lot of us share for biking.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by summitparkrider
    I like the video, nice to see that people walk the section at first besides me.

I was just about to post the same thing!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    This "type" of video is great, it not only makes me want to ride but it reminds me of riding that trail 2 years ago and I really really want to go back now.

I know some of the collective/nwd films are done on actual trails, but I feel like this "type" of video made me look more at the trail, and less at the riders and their skills.

I am more motivated to pack up my bikes in my Jeep and make my way across the country to ride that trail again, than I have ever been after watching a big film made in the BC.

That being said, I wouldn't spend more than say 10-15mins watching something like this, truthfully I was losing attention around 4 mins in, but I wasn't watching the riders just the trail going by (no offense to any of the riders featured).
    Willis

meow meow
    flannel and baggies. i can dig it.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Great video. Good to see there are others that rock flat pedals and street clothes on the trail.

Also, that hip hop song at the end is WAY better than the song up front.

Ryan

Live Dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNoob
    I think you change the title.

Average Riders on an Average Day in an Extraordinary Location!
    That is what I was thinking as I was watching it. Somethin more like " A fantastic video of average riders on an great day on one of the best trails in the country", or something like that.

I enjoyed it a lot. I think the well thought out camera angles and editing are what make it possible to have an entertaining vid with average riders. The scenery doesn't hurt either. The only change I would make might be to make it a bit shorter.

bicycle addict
    definitely a fan of wearing human clothes, functional things where they belong but human stuff the rest of the way. That was a super fun ride. Only sucko part was doing that final runout 3 times to get a touch of decent helmet cam footage,.. Good times ya'll.
    Think about it, our community gets to see and do stuff that the majority of the population only hears about or catches a glimpse of on the local news. All because we figured out how to pedal a bike over a couple rocks.

looking forward to the next one,

meow meow
    so cool i went back and watched it again. very good angles and editing.

mtbr member
    average? above average on stoke! made me want to go ride so it was great to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    "Just an average Joe with an Average flow, doing average things with average hoes"
    Meth

mtbr member
    Just a quick update, when I went to sleep last night, I uploaded an HD version of it, so anyone that has watched it today (and going forward) can see it in better quality!

@nightnerd - Thanks! Hopefully videos like this can help to alleviate fears of first time mountain bikers all over!

@willis - Pack up the jeep, let's do it! lol I know what you mean about the length. If you heard me on the trail that day, I kept saying I needed to get it under 5 minutes. That's something I'm going to have to work on. Every video I've ever created prior to now has been a "just slap some music on" at the end production. This was the first time I went looking for a song that fits afterwards, and then re-edited the entire thing to try to fit the song(s) well. It's hard, because I'm trying to only use music that I can legally obtain the rights to use. (We'll see how long that lasts, cause there is a video in the next couple months that is getting an Alice in Chains song no matter what...)

@rmi- Thanks! I agree with you on the songs. For example- I would never listen to that first song while riding down the trail. Or anywhere for that matter. lol But the one thing I've noticed in all mtb/ski/skate/snowboard videos, is sometimes the song just fits, even when it's not in my normal frame of good. For this video- that song fit.

@b-kul - Yeah, Eric is hardcore. Except for that dress he's wearing in his mtbr profile pic. On second thought, that's pretty hardcore too...

@53119 - Thanks! Hope you like the next one! Sign up on our site or our FB page to automatically get notified when it's up!

@redbaron - There is perhaps no greater honor than having wu-tang comments left on this video. Thank you.

@EveryoneThatHasWatchedItAndHasn'tPostedHere - Thanks for watching! :-)

--Mark

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi
    Great video. Good to see there are others that rock flat pedals and street clothes on the trail.

Also, that hip hop song at the end is WAY better than the song up front.

Ryan
    And I was thinking the exact opposite. I'd put some cool Bluegrass music behind it myself
    Goes to show, you can't please everybody, but I really enjoyed it. Like others said, it makes me want to ride, not wish I could ride better. Great job!

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by wandr
    I posted this to the Western Colorado forum the other day, but a few people have suggested that it may be of interest beyond our state... Is there an audience between "helmet cam video" and "NWD"? --Mark
    It's of interest beyond borders, too

Absolutely there is an audience for such 'average' videos! Sure, I enjoy watching the professionally made Collectives and Roams of the world, but it's videos like yours that stoke me (even more so when I've ridden the trail featured in the video). As an 'average rider', I hanker for 'average rides' regularly, especially on average work days on an average winter day in the Pacific North Wet

Keep up the great work!

Vermonter to the Core
    I really like the Vid.. im am nothing of a vid guy or photo guy.. the 5+ minutes passed without blinking and made me want to ride!!

The only comment I would have is if you are after "couples" have your lady friend do more leading and setting pace.. It helps us husbands sell it to our wife!!

and I would keep on the trail when you are coming down hill in the last section... you straight lined it and in the video you can see the trails weave..

JEM
    09 Marlin Disc
    2010 Cannondale RZ 120....
    2011 Trek XO Crossbike
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

Backyard Adventurer
    This is really great! It's so awesome to see regular "average" people! Thanks for posting. And the scenery and terrain is so different from my muddy, rooty, rocky, wet Vermont. Oh, and also waaaayyyyyy cool to see a lady out riding with the guys. Clearly my kind of girl!
    - SARAH - Adventure is a state of mind!
    www.greenmountainlines.blogspot.com

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by JEM2
    and I would keep on the trail when you are coming down hill in the last section... you straight lined it and in the video you can see the trails weave..

JEM
    That's a double track section where there are multiple lines, so I'd let him off the hook.

Cool vid, I liked all the different angles! I made vid of the same trail last year, mostly helmet cam. It's nice to have 5 minutes away.

NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Des(s)ert Rat
    Is that Ryan who took the helmet cam down to the Dead Cow portage (it's clearly not your bike)?

Still loving my Loop. Best suspension fork I have ever ridden! Thanks!

Des(s)ert Rat
    Noah's right, it's doubletrack in the last section.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Very nicely done, as I told you before. I look forward to more of them.

bicycle addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    That's a double track section where there are multiple lines, so I'd let him off the hook.
    thanks, I seem to lose those the lines on that section at speed, it all becomes gray rock and the faint tracks disappear. It is a Jeep road so I think we are alright, I am a strong supporter of sticking to the trails so definitely no harm intended.

As for harm, NoahColorado, I am jealous, getting through those sections all smooth and stuff. I can't get myself to man up on those and let it roll,. damn,. nice to see them cleaned though !!

mtbr member
    I swear if I see one more of these damn video's I am going to quit my job, leave my wife and lousy kids and move from MD to out West somewhere.

Awesome video. Now stop posting them where I can see them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So how long does that trail take, start to finish? I'm in TX so no mountains nor do my local trails have prolonged descents so constant speed is not something I've experienced yet (hills, all up n' down). Sections in the vid's def look very tech but doesn't look super intimidating plus I'm on a steel hardtail...

mtbr member
    @mikecito - Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! Now I just have to find some bluegrass rappers to please everyone. :-)

@theotherh - Thanks! I know what you mean about when "it's a trail you've ridden!" That's probably why I've watched it myself 50 times this week. lol

@jem2 - Thanks, now go ride! :-) I don't think we're after any one audience in particular. I'm guessing that there probably aren't any Athertons that will be watching our videos and saying "man, this has got me psyched to ride!" Who knows though... Gee, you out there? lol

@backyardadventurer - Thanks! I just subscribed to your blog, keep up the great work!

@noah - be honest, you fast forwarded your video to 200%. lol And holy hell you got some manualing skills! That's some great video of some obviously above average riders! I've already been subscribed to your blog, so I know you're out there killin it.

@screampint - Thanks for the backup! And seriously, I really am glad to hear that it was ok to ride that part of the trail that way. No kidding, for years I've been descending like that, so to get called out on it made me briefly crap myself, thinking I may have been in the wrong for too long. :-( Glad it's all good in the hood!

@lumber825- Heck man, you've got Gambrill and Patapsco, two of my favorite East Coast spots! If you want to take it easy- White Clay to the North, and if you want to take it hard, Douthat to the South. And those are just the spots I'm familiar with! Don't expect me to feel bad you're in Maryland, I miss the hell out of that area! :-)

@bitewerks - Well, you've got a lot of different levels of riders out there, so it's difficult to say. I know some people that pull it off in less than an hour. It's usually a two hour affair for me, but I take a lot of pictures, and sometimes I just stop and chill because I'm in awe of the scenery and environment. Other times, we'll stop and try to ride up, or down something a few times, trying to up the ante in the skills department. I had the same kind of trails that you describe when I was on the east coast, which is why I became addicted to road trips, I think...

Have a GREAT weekend everybody! I hope everybody gets a chance to get outside and find someplace new to ride!

--Mark

mtbr member
    Great video! Just like many others I prefer this type of video. I try not to use too much chesty mount footage because that gets boring but a lot of times I don't want to stop to get the 4 second clip of someone in our group ride by then have to do that again and again. Even though I know it will look so much better it really takes a lot of effort to stop and get the shots you want. Nice job!

I'm surprised this hasn't been asked yet but what camera are you using?

mtbr member
    Thanks GreenEGg, we shoot with an arsenal of cameras, actually. This particular video was shot with a Panasonic TM300 camcorder and a VIO-HD helmet cam. This was my first time out with the VIO, and it was extremely unreliable, just shutting off at random whenever it felt like it. I'm gonna give it one more shot, but if I can't figure out what's wrong with it, it's going back...

Des(s)ert Rat
    If you're putting your nose down and going for it, it can be done on a rigid singlespeed in less than an hour. But in reality, if you are stopping to look at the scenery (the right way to ride), I would say that 1.5-2 hours is average.

mtbr member
    I'd say these videos do have a place.... overall this video was really sweet! This is way better than most of the videos that I make. It definitely takes time to get all of these shots and then edit them together.

Also, you are blessed with some very photogenic (I think that's the appropriate word) trails that lend themselves to great videos.

3 Suggestions though:
    1. Video of anyone walking down a downhill is lame. If the trail is going down, I want to see riding! There was plenty of travel on those bikes...
    2. Was that girl riding a single speed with that much suspension? Since I'm assuming she's not, tell her to shift up.
    3. Keep the videos coming!
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

Des(s)ert Rat
    The average to great rider walks that section. The exceptional rider rides it.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

The trail's the thing

I dig any video that shows a great trail--that's my stoke. Your vid does that very well. These types of vids are also great to give folks a little advance intel so they can both select where to take their next MTB trib as well as what to expect when they get there. Time off and money are usually limited resources, so anything that helps us make better use of them is most welcome.

I must admit, however, that I'm more inspired by seeing someone ride the Horsethief entry than walk it--of course there's nothing "average" about somebody being able to actually ride it!
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

bicycle addict
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    The average to great rider walks that section. The exceptional rider rides it.
    .....annnnd the reasonable decision makers rides what they can and bails before they screw up. Time to work on growin those man pieces and get back there,.. to ride a couple more feet, and then a couple more, and hopefully make it through by 2015

mtbr member
    This makes me wanna move back to Colorado, that state is so shexy.

bi-winning
    Sexy video. I enjoyed watching it. It made me want to ride my mountainbike on some nice dirty singletrack.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    Actually the type of video I most prefer!

This vid makes me want to get out and ride. Whereas the professional videos only make me wish I could ride like them...

Thanks for sharing...and I'll be stalking yer site.
    Exactly!
    Just getting back into riding after 15 years of not riding. This vid is MOTIVATION

mtbr member
    That was a great video It shows what mountain biking is all about and that is having fun!
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    @mtbGreg- Thanks Greg! There are definitely some beautiful trails here. I have to say, as much as I agree with you that it's not that fun to watch people walk down a trail, we want to try to show as many perspectives as we can. I've only ridden that specific section of trail once, and by the time I got the bottom, I was dragging a derailleur like Linus drags a blanket. I'll try it again some day...

@Fischman - Thanks! People using our (future) website to get ideas for vacations is definitely the direction I'd like to see things go! I am slightly biased though... haha

@aaabronco - You're in Richmond? Well... you've got Powhite Park, which, the one time I rode there, wasn't worth getting out of the car for... BUT- Walnut Creek is about an hour away, no? That place is so much fun, just thinking about it makes me itch for a road trip!

@rkj - hopefully it's warmed up enough where you are that you're out doing that right now!

@fixitman - we aim to motivate! Get out there! You have 15 years of not riding to make up for!!

@Idriver - Thanks, that's exactly what we were going for. :-)

--Mark

banned
    Fun video.

5 hours to shoot? That's on the extreme end of capturing that trail during a "fun ride." (as opposed to a ride solely dedicated to making a video).

Suggestion: You might want to spend some time in post fixing that VIO HD footage as it's really, really flat/unsaturated/poorly white balanced compared to the other captures.

Again, good stuff. I look forward to the next one.

mtbr member
    @aaabronco - You're in Richmond? Well... you've got Powhite Park, which, the one time I rode there, wasn't worth getting out of the car for... BUT- Walnut Creek is about an hour away, no? That place is so much fun, just thinking about it makes me itch for a road trip!

--Mark
    Could you maybe give me directions to the place? i tried searching it on Google but nothing came up

bi-winning

@rkj - hopefully it's warmed up enough where you are that you're out doing that right now!

--Mark
    Unfortunately, my tires have not seen dirt since November. The trails where I am are currently still buried under a foot of snow. Current temperature is -12C.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks GreenEGg, we shoot with an arsenal of cameras, actually. This particular video was shot with a Panasonic TM300 camcorder and a VIO-HD helmet cam. This was my first time out with the VIO, and it was extremely unreliable, just shutting off at random whenever it felt like it. I'm gonna give it one more shot, but if I can't figure out what's wrong with it, it's going back...

I have a VIO POV 1.0 camera and had random shutoff problems with some older sets of rechargeable batteries. These batteries were fine while using the camera for the first year. Then theyb sat for a year with no use and likely allowed to self discharge too far. I tried alkaline batteries since I figured the rechargeabnles were toast and had the same random shutoff problem. After digging around the internet, it appears that alkaline batteries are not good for high-draining devices like cameras. I picked up new rechargeable batteries and all is well.

Great video, too!!

mtbr member
    @virulentclown- Thanks! I'm not really a video editing guy, this was thrown together in iMovie in about an hour. I would honestly have no idea how to adjust the saturation, or if iMovie can even do that. The VIO is going back if it doesn't shape up for other reasons stated above! As far as the fun, I had fun! But I'm not the type of person that just blasts through a ride like this anyway, even if I wasn't shooting. I would be stopping to just take in my surroundings, and I would definitely stop repeatedly to session various rock features along the way. None of us are really the "racer" type. Eric wears a flannel for petes sake. lol

@aaabronco- Take 64 West til you hit charlottesville, then 29 south for 5 minutes to RedHill Road. Then it's like a mile to Old Lynchburg, and another mile to Walnut Creek. There's about 15-20 miles of great trails, and the free maps at the trailhead make it easy to find your way around. Again- I love the place, I can't imagine someone going there and being disappointed. If you go, let me know what you think!

@rkj- I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds like you need a vacation! -12, brrrrrrrrrrrr... Hopefully you take up some kind of sliding on snow in the winter! Don't worry, you're only about a dozen more hot chocolates away from being to ride (assuming you only have hot chocolate once every 3 days or so....). :-)

@wheatgerm- I bought 3 sets of brand new NMH rechargeables 2 days before our shoot. It took 2 days to charge them all! I really don't think it's the batteries. Honestly, I don't know what it is, but it usually shut off between a minute and two minutes, except one time (when I wasn't even filming anything of course) it stayed on for 9 minutes. I had the VIO POV.1 before this, and never had this issue...

Thanks for watching everybody!

--Mark

banned
    @virulentclown- Thanks! I'm not really a video editing guy, this was thrown together in iMovie in about an hour. I would honestly have no idea how to adjust the saturation, or if iMovie can even do that.
    Lots of info available via Google, iMovie can do color correction.

A few extra minutes during editing can make a big difference!

mtbr member
    Damn, that does make a big difference, thanks for the tip!

--Mark

mtbr member
    I'm an average rider from canada and think there is a place for vids like this .
    it was awsome.
    we were down a couple of years ago and rode the horse thief bench trail.
    great place,

is buachail foighneach me
    I like xc/trail videos, but I want to see people with lots of skills and speed. It was a nice vid, just not something I would ever consider paying money for in longer format, even with better production quality. I would definitely pay money for a well made, 40 minute plus fast xc/technical xc/am/trials video.

mtbr member
    @trailtrash Thanks!

@sean I'm with you. Actually, I don't even know if I'd pay for that. Haha. (What I'd really like to see is an Anthill Films sequel to Follow Me that features a segment with Danny MacAskill and Chris Akrigg. Sick!)

We're not looking to sell videos, we just want to tell stories that inspire people to seek out new places to explore. They don't have to be the highest, the fastest, the furthest, or the biggest, they just have to be worth talking about...

Which means our supplies are practically unlimited. :-)

--Mark

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Lots of good trails in the VA area that I got acquainted with in 2003. Camp Hilbert, Poor Farm, Hollywood Farm, Panorama (think it might be history), Pocahontas and, yes, Walnut Creek. We have a Walnut Creek here in Austin too and both Walnut Creeks are fantastic places.

@aaabronco- Take 64 West til you hit charlottesville, then 29 south for 5 minutes to RedHill Road. Then it's like a mile to Old Lynchburg, and another mile to Walnut Creek. There's about 15-20 miles of great trails, and the free maps at the trailhead make it easy to find your way around. Again- I love the place, I can't imagine someone going there and being disappointed. If you go, let me know what you think!

--Mark

mtbr member
    I took the Clown's advice and spent some free time this weekend learning about color correction in iMovie. I edited the helmet cam sections, and republished the whole thing to vimeo. It's still weird though, because some sections look a little better, some sections I can't tell that anything has changed, and some sections look borderline unnatural. No matter what, I couldn't get the color to match the shots that came from the camcorder...

--Mark

It's all about the FSR!
    Very cool. I really liked it.

Members who have read this thread: 0