Silence! I kill you!

How often do you ride?

I was looking at my riding log that I have (I've got the Cyclotour stuff) and I found out that the beginning of the year through August I was riding about 3 times a week. Now that I got married its dropped down to 1 day a week. Hopefully when my wife starts riding (We're goin this weekend!!) I'll get back up to my old normal amount of riding. But I'm wondering how often ya'll get out for a ride?
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    due to having school and work during the week, the only times i can ride are on the weekends... since i just picked up a light, i'll be going at night during the week. can't wait!

mtbr member
    Well with the time change I'm riding a whole lot less. I have been doing a single ride on a weekend day. During the summer I was riding 3 or 4 times a week. A lot of that was done after work and early on Saturday or Sunday.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I was looking at my riding log that I have (I've got the Cyclotour stuff) and I found out that the beginning of the year through August I was riding about 3 times a week. Now that I got married its dropped down to 1 day a week. Hopefully when my wife starts riding (We're goin this weekend!!) I'll get back up to my old normal amount of riding. But I'm wondering how often ya'll get out for a ride?
    last week: 10 hrs (5 days)
    week before: 12 hrs (5 days)
    this week: 6-7 hrs (3 days - i'm calling it a rest week)
    during the month of Sept: 0 hrs
    during the race season: 8-15 hrs
    during the off-season: 6-12 hrs

sometimes life gets in the way of riding. the good news is, your bike will be there when life frees you up.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I probably average somthing like 1.5 times a week overall. I usually get a ride in on the weekends, and sometimes one during the week. Depends how busy I am w/ work and whatnot.

mtbr member

106 days in a seven month season

Lots more in summer with longer days and warm weather. Just about not at all right now. Switching over to ski season. I start in Mid-April and finish up by early November. Guess that means I ride 3.78 days a week. Those .78 rides are not nearly as rewarding as the longer ones.

Seriously, I have done stretches where I've gone 10 straight days on a bike with maybe only one day a week by now.

I've tried riding in the dead of winter but snow and cold are just not the conditions I like on a bike.

mtbr member
    6 days a week. I always rest one day. It probably adds up to 9-10 hours a week generally.... unless I'm doing a really long ride on the weekend like this one.

I find time to do it. Right now it's at 6:30 am before work. It was 19 degrees F this morning. Burrrrr..... and yet I go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    How's Nola doing? Is she still eating shoes? My pup has never eaten a shoe (knock on wood ) but she wrecked pretty much all the wood moldings she had access to!
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

www.mtbnj.com

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Once a week usually. Family time, work and general around the house work takes its toll on the available hours. I envy those of you who can get out 3 or more times in a week.
    Don't harsh my mello

banned
    Mar 2005
    i commute and ride at mid-day (3 hours/weekday), road rides and XC on the weekends, keep 2 winterbikes for snow...just a long way of typing that i ride everyday (never less than 40km) and missed only 8 days last year because of the cold...missed 4 in January 2005, and hope to finish the year with 360 riding days.

aka baycat
    Due to changing times,

I usually ride 2x Weekday Mornings at the butt crack of dawn and get in around 11 miles.

Weekends ride both days and usually log 20+ miles a ride.

mtbr member
    Since daylight savings is over, I am limited to weekends. I will probably average 1.5 rides a week this winter hopefully.

no weekday riding for me since the time change. hopefully i can get a light soon and get in one midweek ride.

during the summer I try to ride 3 times a week with at least one road and one mtn a week.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Not Enough here Lately

i'm getting two rides in a week and that aint enough! usually a week night ride Tues or Wednesday 10 -15mi and Sundays 18 - 25mi ride. if i had my way id ride at least every other day, but with a nine year old / homework / turtoring / rock climbing (gym) / My work schedule hasn't panned out to ride that much during the week.

you know your crazy right
    Well it is getting very cold but I am tring my best to commute at least 3 days a week this year and then snowboard on the weekends. At 3 days a week it works out to about 4 hr a week.In the summer I ride everday to work and then 3 or 4 days a week for fun.Karie
    Boobs to the tube.......

paintbucket
    I commute 5 days a week, but actual rides are more like 3-4 days a week. I think I've got 150 rides in my log this year.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

bacon up that sausage
    Since the sun sets at 5:00 these days. I usually get in 3-4 night rides and then race on the weekend. Yesterdays surprise arctic storm during my ride might have given me second thought about riding for awhile. Hail, rain, wind, dark and cold is really a downer when you far from home. Well at least I was not the only crazy out there.

mtbr member
    Race season 4-6 days 10-15 hours a week, with lots of recovery days after HARD training rides or a race.

Off-Season (now) 3-6 days a week, 6-18 hours a week depending on weather, and a mix of long steady base stuff and some peppier team rides 1-2 times a week (shorter & harder - say 1.5-2.5 hrs.) with 2-3 days in the gym, jogging and light weights work.

Sept - Oct 2005 maybe a total of 8-9 hours. Recuperate & recover time this year. Lot's of beer.

When the weather is "bad" (i.e. snow) my buddy and I head into the backcountry for monster aerobic work skinning up fresh powder, and the ensuing quad work on the descent in all that powder!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    in TX--at least 3X a week
    here-- 1 to 2X a week mainly road w/ an occasional dirt ride. And lots of trainer/spinner time.
    i'm moving back to TX dirt-soon!

mtbr member
    I try to ride at least 3 times a week but with work and the fact that I am going back to school now it's really hard to make time except on Saturdays and Sundays. The sad thing is that I live less than fifteen minutes away from Bent Creek. I need to get some lights so I can do some night riding.

mtbr member
    at least 5 days a week counting commuting, MTbing, and road riding. For the past two years thats averaged out to be just over 5000 miles per year.
    Bikes are my time machines.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    April - October, I can usually find time for 4 - 5 rides per week, one of which is usually a road ride, and one of which is usually a longer (3 - 5 hour) mountain bike ride. The other 3 rides each week are usually shorter (~2 hours) mountain bike rides. November - March, weather and trail conditions permitting, I'm usually down to 2 - 3 rides a week, but I also run and snowboard in the winter, so my overall fitness level usually doesn't drop in the winter.

Black Lion
    As much as possible. 5-6 times a week.
    My riding season is winding down, with the snowboard season around the corner.

I find myself trying to cram as many rides in right now as I can before I hang up the bike.
    Voltron

me like bikes
    Oct 2005

i ride a good amount

i usually go mtn. biking around 4times a week, but not its cold and rainy. i ride atleast 20miles on rollers everynight though. i also would road ride about 3times a week, but its too cold and the wind is killing......i'm being a sissy lol. i hoop on my bike every day and just ride around town and neighabor hoods every day if i can't got mtn. biking. so i do a pretty good amount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Being more mature than probably most on this board (meaning I'm just older and retired), I average about 5 rides per week, 2 to 3 hours per ride. I have four trail systems within a 20 minute drive from home, and I ride regardless of the weather. I also run almost every day, I'm a member of 40 for 35 (minimum 40 miles per week for 35 years). Before I retired three years ago, I would get in only one ride per week, after balancing family, work, etc. Riding just wasn't much of a priority as I had so many other responsibilities as you all have identified. I always ran during lunch at work, so that wasn't a time management issue. Good luck to all on your passion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    4 days a week for 1.5-2 hours....when the time change happens, I work in the evenings instead and ride in the mornings....unless there is a night ride! On the weekends, I ride 3-4 hours each day...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It was 8 degrees last night on the ride home from work. Sometimes I turn the ride into a workout or training ride, taking a longer way home. IT's can be difficult when I ride darn near every day of the year. THen I do my regular fun rides too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    8 degrees, man thats cold. In Washington, we deal with late fall/winter rain, and in the Puget Sound area, wind, but it is usually in the 40's. It dips into the 30's occasionally, but for only a day or two. This week and next, no rain and up to 50 degrees during the day. Riding and running in the rain is only a minor issue, but single diget temps, that may be another story.

Salad Days
    I haven't been on a MTB ride since it snowed in town two weeks ago. I still commute by bike and ride to the liquor store for a max of 5 hours a week or so.

This summer I rode 5-6 days a week, around 5-8 hours and 2,500' up (3,000+ down) a day like it was my job.

Now I'm back engineering on a computer during the day. I've been BC snowboarding around 3-4 days a week lately, but I do miss bikes. I think a trip to the south is in order.

Thats me in front, hard at work this August in Chamonix.
    Last edited by jparker164; 11-16-2005 at 09:31 PM.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Neen
    How's Nola doing? Is she still eating shoes? My pup has never eaten a shoe (knock on wood ) but she wrecked pretty much all the wood moldings she had access to!
    nola's doing great. no more shoes recently. mostly because i've become very careful about what i leave lying around. for the most part she sticks to chewing the stuffing out of her toys but occasionally she'll go after the living room rug. grrrr. happy to say she hasn't discovered the wood moldings....that i've noticed. hehe.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Hairy man
    About three rides a week, plus short commutes (1.5 miles to the bus stop) and trips to the store. One of those rides is 14 miles home on Thursday nights (the bus doesn't run after 9:00, I get off at 10:00 on Thursdays). I get in a real trail ride on the weekends and an hour or two of urban on a weeknight.

Yesterday I took the afternoon off and did about 8 miles pulling the trailor while my daughter napped, then another mile home after we put in 2 hours at a different playground. (She likes exploring new playgrounds. This one had some different climbers and a cool supermario-esque obstacle.) I want to work half days from now on.
    We all get it in the end.

Alright, let's ride!
    I generally get about 4 - 5 rides in a week. So far this year I have about 180 rides in with a total of a little over 3,000 miles. Unfortunately right now about 1/2 of my rides are on the trainer.

This week is my rest week so I only get to do three short rides. Next week is my first week of base 2 so I will be on the bike 5 times next week. I can't wait. I hate resting, it gives me more time to spend money.

mtbr member

Commuting accounts for most of my saddle time

With a two year old, wife and two dogs... Its a struggle to get away for epic trail rides (I know some of you have it worse so so I ain't b!tchin'). I generally get in 3 to 4 days a week commuting (23 miles round trip) and at least one sometimes two rides on the weekends. And it all just alternates between road and trail. Sometimes I skip on a commute for an evening trail ride in the summer. They are all sort of short though, between one and two hours. 6 to 10 hours a week I guess. I am hoping next season is more trail time than road time!

grasso e lento

well looking at my belly

I would say..... Not enough!!!!

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

Savvy?
    5 days a week, counting mtn and road. Thank God for Florida weather during the fall and winter.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Bad Hand In Life
    College: Once a day on the week days and Twice a day on weekends (1.5-2 Hr. stints every ride.)

Groveland Trail Heads

4 days

a week- Tuesday and Thursday after work, night rides during the time change then Saturday and Sunday usually in the morning. I am not married, not even a girlfriend now(single mtn. biking females are you reading this?)and have no kids... just a spoiled cat. This enables me to ride whenever I want.
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

Gravity Rides Everything
    early spring thru summer usually 4-7 times a week.

by the end of the summer this year I had tapered it off to about 3 times a week (burned myself out doing too many long races)

fall has been hit or miss. anything from 3 times a week to zero. mostly due to bad weather/mechanical problems..

bla..

lidless ascender
    Latelly it's been 2-3 times a week.Will change in the near future Mostly in the shape of morning road rides during the week, but it's still better than nothing

Marko

Riding with...
    i ride every single day after school and long rides on the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanL
    5 days a week, counting mtn and road. Thank God for Florida weather during the fall and winter.
    Good weather for doing all those hillclimbs.

Oh, wait...

'94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    I try to get a minimum of 3 days in per week. That gets harder in the off season, with whatever crap weather we get here in NJ. Summertime, 5 days a week is average I think.

Members who have read this thread: 0