mtbr member
    Nov 2010

How much snow do you ride in?

Getting sick of all the snow and can't wait till spring. Just wanted to ask, how deep of snow do you ride in and is it worth it just for a ride or two? Go to a rocky or smooth trail?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

CoolArrow
    The middle word in snow is NO... cannot wait for spring, though we've had an easier winter than normal so far... But I won't let the snow stop me:

Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    I'll ride in a few inches of fluff, esp over icy hardpack. I won't ride in what's outside now - two freakin' feet of the white stuff.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I will see about riding in the next week or two. Mabe I will hit the trails on one of my old mountain bikes
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

Retired User
    Depends. Snow conditions can be very unpredictable. One can ride in deep snow if there's a solid base. I keep things simple - my rule of thumb - if I can ride in it, then I will ride in it - if I can't, well...I can't

is buachail foighneach me
    I prefer to ride 'on' the snow as opposed to 'in' it, and don't much discriminate on the basis of depth...

iti1024

iti1023

iti1022

fingerlake

DSC00502

gm05

gm03

mtbr member
    About 4" of loose snow is my limit, front tire gets all swishy and washes out a lot with that much snow, plus it's real work to pedal through that stuff. Lots of spills and lots of hike a bike, you don't get much traction going uphill in the loose stuff.
    Still better than riding on a trainer in the basement!
    Around here, some of the trails get used a lot in winter, they get packed down and are amazing to ride on. They are difficult until they get packed down, though.

hbrogan57
    Here's the coldest I ever rode anything in. 20 below zero with about 12 inches of hardpack snow. So cold that the snow was hard enough to ride on top of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much snow do you ride in?-sunrisebelowzero01012003_02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I try to ride on snow when I can. Unfortunately Baltimore weather prevents us from getting any "normal" snow conditions. We have ice, then fluff, then ice, then mud. Very difficult to ride on, especially given my skill set

mtbr member
    When I lived in the Colorado Front Range I would ride up to about 12"-14" of virgin powder. More than that just got silly. If the trail was packed from hikers alot more was possible.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I just keep trying, got a pugsley this year, so that helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Some pics from the winter of -03.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Sometimes I end up riding in more than other times. This was taken a few years ago. I had to stick to the road, as there were no tracks on the trails and I wasn't equipped to break trail.

Plus size jersey model
    Snow? I don't even ride if it gets below 50 here. Good thing that rarely happens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wish it didn't get below 50, lucky for you!
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

hbrogan57
    NOT ride below 50 degrees? WOW. I find it hard to appreciate the really good weather without having to deal with, at the very least, some of the bad.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll take as much snow as possible

mtbr member
    [/QUOTE]

This picture shows the main problem I find with riding in "deeper" snow. When your feet are having to break snow with every pedal it gets tougher. If they are just barely hitting the top it's not to bad, but if you are penetrating 6-8" every revolution, it gets tough.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

offroader
    Dec 2008
    This much

AZ
    banned
    Don't mind a little snow .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The bottom half of the hills are ice, so I bought a set of Scwalbe ice spikes. They are like riding on velcro on the ice. The rest just depends on how hard the snow is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much snow do you ride in?-camp.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Few weeks ago. Now we got a few inches more, which is fun too

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I dont go hunting the snow for purpose it just seems more chore than joy BUT I have found that at this time of year it's difficult to predict what the conditions will be when on the trail so I have a simple bike for just this purpose. The Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tires are also quite great on the general rails and so long as the snow isnt too loose or too deep it's pretty good also.

I find I enjoy the trails the colder it is as the ground/snow/ice is harder and thus a more enjoyable surface to pedal on, when its above freezing it allows the snow to begin melting and the runoff and loosening snowpack isnt as much fun as it might look.

I cant wait for these tires to come out in 29er sizes.. Shame thing is that typically after the winter has gone it's the wet and rainy spring season which brings its own misery....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You only need one tire to ride in the snow!

mtbr member
    WTF is going on there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is that electric?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It's electric.

Sorry about the crappy picture and wal-mart bike, but here it is. Don't worry, the lil mongoose is on the way out this spring.

I bought a set of skis from goodwill for $5. I attached the front part of the ski to the middle part of the ski with a door hinge then I bolted it to my fork. It works great wherever real skis would work great, like 3" of fresh powder.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

We love snow!

shot and produced by my good friend mGe.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Ska
    Steel is real.
    We ride whenever we can but the temps were the problem last week. It was just too cold for anything. It would have been stupid to be out in it. Yesterday was MUCH milder so we headed out. A friend had the camera rolling and caught my little tumble. LOL

Nothing crazy but the CX bike wasn't the best choice for the day. Also, I didn't realize just how close my face got to the ground until I watched it in slow-mo. Sheesh.....

Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Members who have read this thread: 0