mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hope to be riding like this dude... inspirational

I was out on a road ride a few years ago, and pulled up next to an older guy on a recumbent. He was cruising up a long grade, and I slowed down to chat with him. "Nice Rig!" I offered to get the conversation rolling. He told me that he had put 11,000 miles on it, had ridden it all over the US, etc. I asked him what he liked about the recumbent, and he responded that because of his double hip replacement (!), he could no longer ride comfortably on a standard saddle. A little further into the conversation, we started talking about age- when he told me he was 77 years old, I nearly fell off my bike! I hope to be riding like him when I'm in my 70's...

Singletrack groupie
    That's awesome, I sure hope that I'm biking at 77 as well.

mtbr member
    I'd be overjoyed to be riding at 67. Props.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rode an xc race yesterday and was passed by George. As usual. George is 77, and on flats, uphills, and flowy sections is faster than most folks 40 years younger! Understandably, he walks most sketchy technical sections, and rides the brakes a bit on steeper downhill sections. I have had the pleasure of going on a ride with him previous to yesterdays race and he was fast then too!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

Members who have read this thread: 0