mtbr member

Here's what you miss when you sleep in.

I did the Cowboy trails this past Saturday morning in Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas. Still one of my favorite trail systems. Lots of fun techy, flowy, droppy, climby, singletrack.

I couldn't get any of the Vegas boys to join me with the dark start time (6:00am) and the "cold" weather (32 deg) but I can't blame 'em. It was sunny and well into the forties by time I got back at 8:15. If you don't have to be at work at 9:00 who wouldn't rather do that? The problem is.... you'd miss views like this. I love the early am.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    1.My kids say I always close my eyes and make stupid faces in pictures. I guess they're right.
    2. They've added a sign for the Boneshaker downhill. fun, fun stuff... though I didn't do it this morning.
    3. Happy trails. Maybe I'll see you guys next time .

NIce shots!

Krob,
    Love these, especially that first one. Made me think of getting up at 5AM to beat the heat in Phoenix in the summer. I too loved the early morning colors.

Thanks for sharin.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Nice view you've got there!!

I can't honestly say I've ever done an early morning ride that's started quite that early!!

Top stuff.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I set the first pic as desktop wall paper, should be a good week!

Thanks!

MT

paintbucket
    Very nice. There's something about a sunrise. More gentle and less lurid than a sunset, or maybe just that most people miss it.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

More Chasmism
    Great pictures, KRob.

One of the best rides I've ever done was a trip around the Cowboy Trails about two years ago. Rode down the Boneshaker behind (way behind) the guy who "built" those into bike trails. He had no front brake.

Gotta go to Vegas again this winter.

hfly

Loser

Certainly a different kind of winter ride!

As much as I like CT riding - seeing pics like that make me realize that the scenery is certainly lacking...

Great shots.
    John

you know your crazy right

Nice!!

I would say that is a reasone to get up and ride in the morning. The sunrise is the best part of my commute but the views are nothing like your picts.K
    Boobs to the tube.......

mtbr member

Another morning

While others slept.
    (1) A deserted trail and I get to make the first impressions
    (2) The sun burns the dew off
    (3) There are some other early birds

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Great pics!

Thanks for sharing. Admittedly, I have gotten up that early to go kayaking, but never for riding. Perhaps I will after seeing those shots;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I love riding up there in the early morning like that, however it's a little easier to do in the summer than when it's 30 degrees! Could someone clarify for me where "Cowboy Trail" is? I think I've ridden almost everything out there, just don't know all of the official names. Great pics, thanks for the post!

Neal

E !

cowboy trails

Quote Originally Posted by njcoppola
    I love riding up there in the early morning like that, however it's a little easier to do in the summer than when it's 30 degrees! Could someone clarify for me where "Cowboy Trail" is? I think I've ridden almost everything out there, just don't know all of the official names. Great pics, thanks for the post!

Neal
    That is the trail system across the road from red rock canyon area. The trail head is the area where they rent horses,just a tad north and east of the redrock visitors overlook.
    the - E - dog

E !

Next time

Sorry Krob. I woke about 4:30 am. stepped outside and it was just too darn cold and dark for me. I was just waking when you finished your ride. I didn't need to slow you down either. Which route did you end up doing?
    James and i hit bootleg at 8 am yesterday. It was right about 40 degrees when we started with a raging wind. BRRR! My posted limit is now 45 degrees. 0 is just crazy. Unless you have all the right gear i suppose.
    the - E - dog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Krob,
    Love these, especially that first one. Made me think of getting up at 5AM to beat the heat in Phoenix in the summer. I too loved the early morning colors.

Thanks for sharin.
    Thanks. I like to think I would still ride at sunrise if I didn't have to beat the heat... make it to work on time, be there for family duties, etc. Whatever gets me out there, I'm glad.

I've done Phoenix (and Vegas) at dawn to beat the heat. Oooooh. I nice cool 85! LOL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Nice view you've got there!!

I can't honestly say I've ever done an early morning ride that's started quite that early!!

Top stuff.

Dave.
    See what you're missing? I think if I lived somewhere in the thick trees where you can't see the sunrise anyway.... I'd not be as enamoured with early am riding. The views and the sunrise make it worthwhile though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandkthomas
    I set the first pic as desktop wall paper
    MT
    Thanks. That's a great compliment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Very nice. There's something about a sunrise. More gentle and less lurid than a sunset, or maybe just that most people miss it.
    Thanks. Maybe that's what it is.... I don't have to share it with many people. The air seems fresher and cleaner like it hasn't been all used up already too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Great pictures, KRob.

One of the best rides I've ever done was a trip around the Cowboy Trails about two years ago. Rode down the Boneshaker behind (way behind) the guy who "built" those into bike trails. He had no front brake.

Gotta go to Vegas again this winter.

hfly
    Thanks Tim. NO FRONT BRAKE???!!! Yikes. The boneshaker rocks. I need to get a bigger bike (or bigger cajones) so I can launch all those drops. I launch the two footers, roll a couple of the 3-4 footers, and walk a few others. My style on that section is slow and controlled, especicially on the lower, steeper, droppier parts. One day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    Sorry Krob. I woke about 4:30 am. stepped outside and it was just too darn cold and dark for me. I was just waking when you finished your ride. I didn't need to slow you down either. Which route did you end up doing?
    James and i hit bootleg at 8 am yesterday. It was right about 40 degrees when we started with a raging wind. BRRR! My posted limit is now 45 degrees. 0 is just crazy. Unless you have all the right gear i suppose.
    Yep. I think if I'd've had a choice, I would've gone back to bed too.LOL. Although I warmed up pretty quick once I started climbing.

My route: I climbed up Bunny, up Cat in the Hat crossing over to Fossil canyon at the second divide, then I did that long skinny inner loop, then up SARS (I finally cleaned that steep switchback with the 3 foot step-up in the middle and the small Joshua tree on the inside of the switch. The trick was to stay left and attack the steep rock face rather than try the cheater line on the inside by the little joshua tree) then up to the "Y" for Boneshaker and the Vegas Overlook (avoiding the moonscape and the "road" climb), climbed up to the overlook, then retraced
    back the same way except I came all the way down on Fossil back to Bunny (I was looking for one of my neoprene toe booties that fell off somewhere in Fossil canyon.)

Good ride.... and no wind at all, which was funny because it was blowing like crazy the night before in Cottonwood and was blowing again by time I got back to my hotel room at 8:30am after my Cowboy trails ride. Another advantage of early am riding? perhaps.

See you January.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-05-2005 at 04:40 PM.

meh....
    Nice. I start work too early for the AM rides, but they look cool.

Monte

mtbr member
    Nice!
    I'm a serious morning person. I haven't slept in past 6AM in over a decade. Most mornings I'm up at 4:30 or 5. I love the early rides. Problem is, it was minus 4 here at 7 AM.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Nice!
    I'm a serious morning person. I haven't slept in past 6AM in over a decade. Most mornings I'm up at 4:30 or 5. I love the early rides. Problem is, it was minus 4 here at 7 AM.
    Yep. Back in Ely this morning it was pretty darn close to zero at 6:30 when I went on my ride. Still gotta ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    That is the trail system across the road from red rock canyon area. The trail head is the area where they rent horses,just a tad north and east of the redrock visitors overlook.
    Can't say that I've ridden there yet......key word being yet! Let me make sure I know where I"m going..... If I'm heading west on Charleston, go past the "loop" entrance, road makes a sweeping left hand downhill turn and the stables are on my left, park and ride on the trail that heads along the road for a little bit back towards the northeast? All on the south side of 159, right? If it's the trail I'm thinking of, I've only seen horses on it, never any bikes. I'll have to check that out, probably Christmas morning.

Thanks
    Neal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njcoppola
    Can't say that I've ridden there yet......key word being yet! Let me make sure I know where I"m going..... If I'm heading west on Charleston, go past the "loop" entrance, road makes a sweeping left hand downhill turn and the stables are on my left, park and ride on the trail that heads along the road for a little bit back towards the northeast? All on the south side of 159, right? If it's the trail I'm thinking of, I've only seen horses on it, never any bikes. I'll have to check that out, probably Christmas morning.

Thanks
    Neal
    Yep. That's the place. Here's a link to the trail review and description I did. When you cross through the fence out of the parking lot, turn immediately to the right. Enjoy. Sounds like a great Christmas present.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    This was my ride on Monday just before sunrise ... there was a crust of snow just grippy enough to get me up the hills into work. It snowed all day, and I rode home in the Northern twilight with a headlamp following the ruts left by cross-country skiers.

You be you. I'll be riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0