mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Heavy pro riders

I'm just trying to get some inspiration. Does anyone know of any heavy, or heavier pro riders....road, XC, bmx whatever.

I'm 200 now, gonna try to get to 190 at 6' before summer...down from 215 in december.

Stucco Bucket
    Peaty?
    You probably wont find a lot of pro xc riders in that weight range.
    Im 6' and 204lbs. Perfectly happy with my weight.
    lost 13% body fat over the last 14 months and gained 6lbs. Im no where anything pro except beer drinker.

mtbr member
    Wasn't Indurain the heaviest one to win the tour at 172lbs? Not positive, but I think I read that somewhere.
    Good luck with your weight/fitness adjustments . Been 6"3" 225ish since college myself.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    some of the larger downhillers are about that, but they're muscley and lower body fat. some of the bigger bmx guys are probably there too. for "big xc guys, wells and trebon and wicks are all 6'+ and 160-ish. i think trebon is 6'3 and 168 iirc.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm not pro or anything, but I ride at a pretty high level, my qualifications are that my riding weight is 225lbs at 5'11''. Mononucleosis and my first year of marriage have me up to 240lbs, but after a few months of getting back into it I'm still able to ride very well both in terms of technical ability and aerobic ability. Big is beautiful, so send a huge gap
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Magnus Bäckstedt is a big rider who has returned to racing after a two year break ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_B%C3%A4ckstedt He won a stage of the Tour de France and the Giro. He now manages a pro team and is a Eurosport cycling commentator. He is one of the best cycling commentator going. His knowledge of training techniques and racing is extraordinary. 'Magnus Maximus' announced yesterday, It's official: Paris-Roubaix winner Magnus Backstedt to pilot an attempt on the RRA 25 mile record! on a tandem. Riders have to average 40mph to break the current Road Racing Association 25 mile record.

Steven Hodge, was an Olympian and six-time Tour de France cyclist. When ever he is interviewed at a Grand Tour or at a Classic, he towers over those around him.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 02-09-2011 at 08:37 PM.

The Road Warrior
    Analytic Cycling has some good info and calc programs. For instance, it says that at your current weight of 200 pounds, riding a 20 pound bike, if you lost 5 kg (about 10 pounds), you would see these changes:

Benefit From Less Weight
    This Much Less Weight 5 kg
    Over This Distance 2000 meters
    On Hill of Slope 0.03 Decimal
    Faster by 10.05 s
    Ahead by 63.65 m
    Frontal Area 0.5 m^2
    Coefficient Wind Drag 0.5 Dimensionless
    Air Density 1.226 kg/m^3
    Weight Rider & Bike 100 kg
    Rolling Coefficient 0.004 Dimensionless
    Power 250 watts

http://www.analyticcycling.com/

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Peaty?
    You probably wont find a lot of pro xc riders in that weight range.
    Im 6' and 204lbs. Perfectly happy with my weight.
    lost 13% body fat over the last 14 months and gained 6lbs. Im no where anything pro except beer drinker.
    Peaty is not that heavy. He and the other tall top riders are very lean - no surprise to be at their level of performance there is not any place for excess baggage.

Nathan Rennie on the other hand has some girth to him for a Pro Rider.

local trails rider
    Many Track racers look like Body Builders on bikes.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

DynoDon
    Sue Haywood was an underdog, in her words she carried more weight then the other women, What a great racer she was, now retired, she coaches for Better Ride now. Google her, read about her great accomplishments, (Trek Team, National Championship etc.) that she should be remembered for, not the suit that shouldn't have happened, I'd like to think she would have won the GOLD at the Olympics. I'm always for the underdogs.. good luck

the train keeps rollin
    Pro Road Racing, Tom Boonen and Thor Hushovd are both over 6' and 180lb range. Thor is the 2010 World Champion.
    beaver hunt

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    Sue Haywood was an underdog, in her words she carried more weight then the other women, What a great racer she was, now retired, she coaches for Better Ride now. Google her, read about her great accomplishments, (Trek Team, National Championship etc.) that she should be remembered for, not the suit that shouldn't have happened, I'd like to think she would have won the GOLD at the Olympics. I'm always for the underdogs.. good luck
    Hell yeah- Sue rocks!

I wouldn't call Amanda Carey big, but she's not an anorexic-looking toothpick, either.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Omar Fraser, rides for Cahaba Cycles out of Birmingham. Not sure if he's "full time pro", but he's riding pro classes and competing in Xterras at the world champ level. I don't know his exact weight, but I'm guessing he has to be north of 200. Of course the dude is like 6'8 or something. He is a force to be reckoned with, frightening site to see coming up behind you, I promise.

DynoDon
    I wish Sue could be my coach,, I'm trying to figure out how I can go to one of her camps, I'm retired now (broke LOL). Ride Right is coming to Pontiac, Mi I would have to give up a race to go to that camp, if she is there I may, thats alot of money for me now though, she is coaching one in VA, but that would cost me more, I may have to wait for the Ride Right DVD, I train with Sue on CTS mountain bike dvd now.. she is an inspiration !!!
    I should see if I can get a senior discount..LOL!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Peaty is not that heavy. He and the other tall top riders are very lean - no surprise to be at their level of performance there is not any place for excess baggage
    Peaty weighs 14stone, near as damnit 200lbs (196), don't be fooled by DH pro's being lean, they're solid bricks of muscle.

DynoDon
    Mike Bell was a big dude, (retired I think) he was a great downhill racer, before that he was, Supercross Champion, and World 4 stroke Motocross Champion.. I don't know how much he weighed, but I would think over 200lbs..

mtbr member
    Fabian Cancellara is 6'1" and 180lb so its not impossible to be really good and heavy
    (for a cyclist) that gives me hope at 200lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A lot of the freeriders are big guys:
    Darren "Bearclaw" Berrecloth (sp?) comes to mind.
    Dave Watson is tall, but I'm sure he's over 170 lbs.
    Downhillers are usually heavier too (gravity is your friend!)
    BMXers are usually a little leaner, but there are some big guys, as well.
    But don't worry too much about weigh.
    Just go ride and the weigh will sort itself out...

Stucco Bucket
    yea I knew Peaty was a big dude. You can just tell.
    I think Vanderham comes in pretty heavy too. Maybe its the camera.

My dogs are barkin
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    Hell yeah- Sue rocks!
    +1
    I know just enough to be dangerous
    --Me

SoCAL
    06/17/2009

Members who have read this thread: 1