mtbr member

Have you ridden with one of these guys?

The type that jumps out in front every chance they get, then they seem to hold the group up by either not making the technical features or just riding slow.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 01-08-2011 at 06:36 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Rolling
    Up your game. You just have to track-stand better.

Remember this; if someone bugs you, It's your problem. And if you keep riding with them, it's your continuing problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Up your game. You just have to track-stand better.
    I can track stand very well, it's actually one of my better skills.

Remember this; if someone bugs you, It's your problem. And if you keep riding with them, it's your continuing problem.
    Yeah, but there is also the need to think about others in the group. Most people do pretty good and can figure out there place in the pack, but every once in a while you run across the guy that always wants to be in front, but doesn't belong there.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    ... but every once in a while you run across the guy that always wants to be in front, but doesn't belong there.
    MEH, it's MTB, not a 'class' system.
    Either ride harder so you're in front or ride with someone else.

"Rosa Parks, you do not belong at the front of this bus"
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll

It is by no means a class thing, it's more about knowing your skills and those around you. If somebody is on your butt, you let them by, if you can't make the technical feature, get out of the way, the next guy may be able to.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 01-08-2011 at 06:36 PM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I was thinking the same thing. If you think they need to be in back of you don't let them get ahead. Maybe they're thinking "I'm fitter than a lot of my partners, but I don't have great technical skills so I'll take advantage of my strengths". What would you say if this same person posted something along the lines of, "I'm riding with these guys and they hold me up on the climbs"?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    A few of my faster friends and I went on a spirited all single track, emphases on spirited, about 36 miles, around 5000 ft of climbing. One guy heard about it and just showed up, he couldn't keep up, so he would jump in front to hold us up. haven't gone on a ride with him since

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I had that happen on one ride, but usually it just works out.

~Disc~Golf~
    It is by no means a class thing, it's more about knowing your skills and those around you. If somebody is on your butt, you let them by, if you can't make the technical feature, get out of the way, the next guy may be able to.
    well, you said earlier: "The type that jumps out in front every chance they get"

How is he jumping out in front?
    Is he making passes you can't seem to make?

Either way, I've ridden with all skill levels.
    Some A-holes thinks it's cool to leave slower riders in the dust - and then complain that we're holding them up by making him wait...
    I say F-It - go ride solo then if the GROUP is holding you up.

Personally, I like riding behind noobs, that way I (we - others I've ridden with feel the same) can be in the vicinity to give encouragement or tips for something tech.
    Plus it's nice to be there when someone succeeds.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trevrev97
    A few of my faster friends and I went on a spirited all single track, emphases on spirited, about 36 miles, around 5000 ft of climbing. One guy heard about it and just showed up, he couldn't keep up, so he would jump in front to hold us up. haven't gone on a ride with him since
    I'm having a hard time understanding how someone who can't keep up manages to jump in front and hold you up.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If it's that important to you then maybe you need to either be in front of him going into those technical sections, or back off so you'll have enough room to be able to clean the section when he stalls or falls off.

On wuss patrol
    well, you said earlier: "The type that jumps out in front every chance they get"

How is he jumping out in front?
    Likely he's taking off first from the break/regroup stops. Or, he jumps onto the big ring on flat or downhill sections of double track or road sections. I've seen 'em. Heck, I've probably been him on occasion but I try to assess things and allow faster riders to do the thing, even if I am a ride leader.

Jeez Chris, making this something it's not? Rosa Parks?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Snowjnky McDreamy
    The type that jumps out in front every chance they get, then they seem to hold the group up by either not making the technical features or just riding slow.
    I fell ya bra

I ride with a dude that makes his passes at regroups and then wont pull over. It turns into a agro passing session.

As long as I can prevent him from leading a DH I can deal.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

~Disc~Golf~
    Another thought is - and it's just speculation - maybe the guy knows features in the trail that he has troubles with, so he jumps out ahead (somehow) and tries to get to said feature and buy some time try to clear it before the GROUP has caught up; thereby being able to "keep up" with the GROUP.

Notice how I'm capitalizing "GROUP" for emphasis?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    ...Jeez Chris, making this something it's not? Rosa Parks?
    for effect man, for effect

From essentially, 'he's in the front and doesn't belong there'

Who's to say where someone "belongs"?

MTB is about FUN, not belonging in a certain place.

Cannonball!
    Someone get first tracks in the freshies before you?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d
    That's different!!!

mtbr member

How is he jumping out in front?.

Some A-holes thinks it's cool to leave slower riders in the dust - and then complain that we're holding them up by making him wait...

Personally, I like riding behind noobs, that way I (we - others I've ridden with feel the same) can be in the vicinity to give encouragement or tips for something tech.
    Should have been clearer, I'm referring to group rides, Typically it happens when everybody regroups. I usually don't care for the big groups rides, group dynamics are usually just a big pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Likely he's taking off first from the break/regroup stops. Or, he jumps onto the big ring on flat or downhill sections of double track or road sections. I've seen 'em. Heck, I've probably been him on occasion but I try to assess things and allow faster riders to do the thing, even if I am a ride leader.

Jeez Chris, making this something it's not? Rosa Parks?
    I believe we have ridden together? Don't remember this being a problem with you.

Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky
    I fell ya bra

I ride with a dude that makes his passes at regroups and then wont pull over. It turns into a agro passing session.

As long as I can prevent him from leading a DH I can deal.
    Yep, I just need to pay attention more when the group starts to move again.

Another thought is - and it's just speculation - maybe the guy knows features in the trail that he has troubles with, so he jumps out ahead (somehow) and tries to get to said feature and buy some time try to clear it before the GROUP has caught up; thereby being able to "keep up" with the GROUP.

Notice how I'm capitalizing "GROUP" for emphasis?
    Or, Maybe the rider holding everybody up should find a more compatible group to ride with. I guess this could be said about the person being held up too.

That's why I get an early start when skiing, I hate not getting first tracks.

Cannonball!
    I try very hard not to hold anybody up, but it does happen sometimes. I do try to make changes to keep it from happening continuously. Anyone can always feel free to tell me to get the heck out of the way! It wouldn't hurt my feelers too bad, it can even be good motivation!

mtbr member
    I try very hard not to hold anybody up, but it does happen sometimes. I do try to make changes to keep it from happening continuosly. Anyone can always feel free to tell me to get the heck out of the way! It wouldn't hurt my feelers too bad, it can even be good motivation!
    Agreed, I try to be aware of what's going on and I don't mind being told/asked/yelled at to get out of the way.

mtbr member
    F*ck his Mom.

Stucco Bucket
    theres a couple of those in our group. They gear up first after breaks and purposely takeoff early.
    Then its him showing us the good line...

EDIT. keyboard is slow.

Afric Pepperbird
    Ahh... the joys of riding solo. Beats a group ride every time

since 4/10/2009

This. Depending on who I ride with, I might be the fast guy or I might be the slow guy. When I'm the faster rider and I'm riding with slower folks, I'll let them lead*

When I'm the slow guy and I'm riding WITH others, all I ask is that I am not dropped like a bad habit. For some folks, they would rather I ride in front (to ensure nobody rides faster than the slowest rider). Others prefer to roughly order by how fast you ride. If this is the case on a group ride (especially rides indicated as being social), then three things need to happen:
    1. there must be a sweeper who rides at the back always.
    2. everyone at the front must regroup at certain points (like the tops of climbs when people are thrashed) and wait until the slowest rider is ready to go before restarting
    3. at every intersection, each rider is responsible for ensuring that the rider behind them knows which way to go unless the group has split, in which case each sub-group operates like its own group ride.

Riders should not label a ride as social or beginner unless the above conditions are met. If the above rules are not going to apply in some fashion, then the ride needs to be labeled as competitive. but even if that's the case, everyone needs to know the route and the destination and have their own map.

On a GROUP ride when you're riding WITH others (not AGAINST them), it shouldn't matter who's in front of the group.

* unless they don't know the trail and want someone to choose the route.

nodejitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_
    F*ck his Mom.

~Disc~Golf~
    F*ck his Mom.
    FoShizzle?

nodejitsu
    FoShizzle?

Rolling
    I see this is really an "OldHouseMan" insecurity thread.

Funny to see you defend it so much.

Unpredictable
    Not really lidarman cause that rider was me yesterday....

Asked to lead and OK I could do it for a while, but mud, clay, slick roots, chain suck, forced to ride in middle ring, siezing bottom bearings, floods, locusts, plague, it wasn't my fault, ault, ault...

But on the downhills - kiss my grits suckas!!!

mtbr member
    +1
    I myself is all over the place - in the front, in the middle and sometimes last. Another thing I try to fight in group rides is when a slower (weaker) rider finally catches up and the group wants to start going right away. We're here for the fun - not to punish the weakest
    That being said if it is an option to divide a bigger group in a fast and a slow it should be considered.

Kasper

Kicker of Elves
    F*ck his Mom.
    Nice contribution there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I almost always choose to be the last guy in a group ride which isn't often since I usually ride solo. No pressure, I set my own pace, fast guys racing for the podium can drop me without problem. Once or twice, I ended up more in the middle of a relatively fast pack by accident, got hung up on a log, and ended up holding everyone up behind me. Felt bad and didn't want to be "that guy" ever again.

mtbr member
    Seems like on our group rides it all works itself out. It's kind of an unspoken rule that is you fail on a technical section you get your bike off the trail as quickly as possible until everyone has made it through. On the climbs the people who have the lungs and legs to make it up the fastest are the ones who get up front. If someone is on your a$$, it's also kind of unspoken that you move to the right and even wave someone past. If I'm burning out on a climb I usually get to a flat spot, put it in the granny and let people pass.

BUT, the important thing about a group ride to remember is that it's a GROUP ride. If you want to go fast and not be "held back" by anyone, go ride by yourself or with 1-2 other people that are your same speed and ability level. If it's a large group, it's better to set at the beginning that there will be a fast group and slow group. Meet up at the turnaround point halfway in the ride and at the end for some BS and/or beers.
    "Got everything you need?"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I find this can happen when someone is riding with new people, and they have not figured out where they fall in the pack for given terrain. For example, sometimes on a ride with people unfamiliar with each other, a pack order may get established climbing a hill, and then when the DH comes it takes a bit for that order to get re-arranged in people's heads.

However, there are people like you describe. I don't let it bother me much, if they are slowing me down on a DH section I just stop for a minute and let their lead grow, then I can go as fast as I want without getting held up. Or I will just ask to play through on a flat section or climb. If they continue to be a stubborn problem (which has never happened to me) it would likely be the last time I rode with them.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Seems like on our group rides it all works itself out. It's kind of an unspoken rule that is you fail on a technical section you get your bike off the trail as quickly as possible until everyone has made it through. On the climbs the people who have the lungs and legs to make it up the fastest are the ones who get up front. If someone is on your a$$, it's also kind of unspoken that you move to the right and even wave someone past. If I'm burning out on a climb I usually get to a flat spot, put it in the granny and let people pass.

BUT, the important thing about a group ride to remember is that it's a GROUP ride. If you want to go fast and not be "held back" by anyone, go ride by yourself or with 1-2 other people that are your same speed and ability level. If it's a large group, it's better to set at the beginning that there will be a fast group and slow group. Meet up at the turnaround point halfway in the ride and at the end for some BS and/or beers.

Exactly!.......Well said Twohead!
    Our "regular" group seems to have a natural pecking order....a few leaders and a few laggards!
    It just seems to work out. When a newbie rides with us...well ....we find "their" place for them real fast!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    35 responses = 35 reasons why I ride alone.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    Hear Ya!
    Just makes shuttleing more difficult!
    LOL!

mtbr member
    4 or 5 guys is fine by me more then that is just plain retarded.

mtbr member
    :Personally, I like riding behind noobs, that way I (we - others I've ridden with feel the same) can be in the vicinity to give encouragement or tips for something tech.
    I like this attititude
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

It's about showing up.

Another lively discussion

about expectations, unwritten rules, cooperation, the fallacy of "common sense", and forming a culture.

mtbr member

Yup...

And thats why the only time I ever lead a ride is when the rest of the riders haven't been on a course that I already know, etc.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

As old and as slow as you are I'm surprised you could find such a guy

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep, my dog and me!

A great combination and I have time to think and listen.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Most of the time I ride XC by myself, but when I'm not alone I only ride with friends. That way when they're in front of me and riding slow I find creative, fun, sometimes borderline dangerous ways to pass and vice versa. It's great.

If someone sucks and they jump out in front just go around them. If they get butthurt about it, don't ride with them again. If they look at you while you're going around them and can laugh about it, you've found a good riding buddy.

We're all just out riding bikes. Don't take it so seriously.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I find this can happen when someone is riding with new people, and they have not figured out where they fall in the pack for given terrain. For example, sometimes on a ride with people unfamiliar with each other, a pack order may get established climbing a hill, and then when the DH comes it takes a bit for that order to get re-arranged in people's heads.

However, there are people like you describe. I don't let it bother me much, if they are slowing me down on a DH section I just stop for a minute and let their lead grow, then I can go as fast as I want without getting held up. Or I will just ask to play through on a flat section or climb. If they continue to be a stubborn problem (which has never happened to me) it would likely be the last time I rode with them.
    That is how I handle it.

And if I know there has been somebody behind me for a while I ask if they want by.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I see this is really an "OldHouseMan" insecurity thread.

Funny to see you defend it so much.
    If I would have started the thread and never posted it in again, I would have been labeled a troll. Ah damn, I'm defending myself now.

Kinda funny comment coming from a guy with over 10,000 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta

Yeah, it usually works itself out but there are a couple guys in the riding circle I ride with that are very stubborn and always want to be out in front, I usually try to avoid riding with them, but sometimes it just happens. It does kind of bug me when they continue to do it on every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    As old and as slow as you are I'm surprised you could find such a guy
    You must have me mistaken with somebody else, I'm not old, nor am I slow.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yeah, it usually works itself out but there are a couple guys in the riding circle I ride with that are very stubborn and always want to be out in front, I usually try to avoid riding with them, but sometimes it just happens. It does kind of bug me when they continue to do it on every ride.
    Just wait longer to start after the regroups. Then if you are the last to arrive at the next regroup, do not stop. Just say something about needing to keep moving.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I just ride with me, myself, and I. I mean, we're always racing and competing against each other, but nobody gets in the way, except for myself sometimes.

You should hear some of our conversations....
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    duplicate post
    Last edited by rideitall; 01-10-2011 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Personally, I like riding behind noobs, that way I (we - others I've ridden with feel the same) can give them hell when they mess up and then show them how it should be done.

Plus it's nice to be there to watch the yardsale and carnage when these same folks get taken down by the trail.

There fixed it for you, j/k. Although crashes are fun to watch if no one gets hurt too bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    I just ride with me, myself, and I. I mean, we're always racing and competing against each other, but nobody gets in the way, except for myself sometimes.

You should hear some of our conversations....
    Yeah... just reading the example the OP wrote me pissed off. I HATE people like that.

I live a life of competition - forced into it by the nature of my job. Then, you sit in traffic and there's that one azzhole that won't merge one-car-after-the-other just because they don't want you to be there... and a whole lotta other examples of people trying to one-up you.

Mountain biking? That's the last place I need to play king-of-the-mountain with a bunch of adult males trying to fulfill their needs and wants through a game of Tag You're It.

I know a lot of you like to go on group rides. Been there, got pissed. Unless there is a definite consensus among the group of the pace and intent, then they are not for me. I'd rather have the group say, "Okay, this is a fast ride where duking it out for front is okay..." than to not say anything and some idiot is trying to "win". When I race cyclocross, we are ALL on the same page. When I'm riding San Jose Bike Party, we all know what's going on... but for "group rides" - everybody ought to be on the same page of what the ride is. Hammer? Chill? No-Drop? What is it?

So, OldManWinter... if this behavior bothers you... don't ride with those people. Best thing about riding is you don't need others to do it. It's a solo sport. (except for roadies )

mtbr member

What Highdell says, and my 2 cents is that we all should keep in mind that group rides are for everybody...even the lesser cyclists with imperfect social skills. Group rides are the roots of the MTB community. If ya don't like it, don't go, because we don't need a weiney in addition to the knucklehead. Or maybe we do, since group rides are for everybody. Ah crap, now I'm confused.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall
    There fixed it for you, j/k. Although crashes are fun to watch if no one gets hurt too bad.
    ha!

Cannonball!
    Wow! You got me worried, the next time we ride I will definitely be behind you! And yes I am stubborn, just ask my wife!
    Last edited by coiler-d; 01-10-2011 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah... just reading the example the OP wrote me pissed off. I HATE people like that.

I live a life of competition - forced into it by the nature of my job. Then, you sit in traffic and there's that one azzhole that won't merge one-car-after-the-other just because they don't want you to be there... and a whole lotta other examples of people trying to one-up you.

Mountain biking? That's the last place I need to play king-of-the-mountain with a bunch of adult males trying to fulfill their needs and wants through a game of Tag You're It.

I know a lot of you like to go on group rides. Been there, got pissed. Unless there is a definite consensus among the group of the pace and intent, then they are not for me. I'd rather have the group say, "Okay, this is a fast ride where duking it out for front is okay..." than to not say anything and some idiot is trying to "win". When I race cyclocross, we are ALL on the same page. When I'm riding San Jose Bike Party, we all know what's going on... but for "group rides" - everybody ought to be on the same page of what the ride is. Hammer? Chill? No-Drop? What is it?

So, OldManWinter... if this behavior bothers you... don't ride with those people. Best thing about riding is you don't need others to do it. It's a solo sport. (except for roadies )
    I don't care for slow people in the fast lane either, so maybe this is rooted much deeper than I originally thought.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    +1 on highdell's second post (#6)

I rarely find what the OP asked about to be a problem. I usually ride sweep because I am old, fat & slow. On almost every ride I assume I am the worst rider in the group so I should be riding sweep. I slow down to create space when we get to a technical spot. I often end up trying to make a climb on whatever line is still available when I get there since people who missed will still be in the better line or walking up it. Or I have to track stand until some make-able line opens up. Now days I usually make the technical spot even if I had to wait or take a tougher line.

That practice has helped me TONS in the few races I have done. I'm not fast enough to keep the race pace on the flats but I can bomb down hills with all this "road hugging weight". But when we get into the technical sections I start passing. If somebody misses I am past them and rarely see them again.

The point to all of this is to ride whatever the group has to offer - you will learn and benefit from it. If you get all wrapped up in 'the proper order', you will miss chances to learn. If those guys keep jumping in front and going slow - pass them. If you are having trouble passing them - you need the passing practice. Racers don't always pull over and let you pass. If they are missing technical sections - pass them when they miss. If there truly is only one line (rare) - then wait, make that line and pass while they are getting back on their bike.

If none of this seems to help - you may need to find a different riding group or ride solo.

mtbr member
    Did you "Talk to THAT guy?"
    After the 3 rd time if I do not say something it's MY fault...

mtbr member
    You could ask to pass when it's safe to do so and if they don't let you pass when there have been opportunities buzz their rear tyre. I sometimes do this mucking around with mates and they'll do it to me as well. You get the message pretty quick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    One more vote for solo riding. I don't want to take the rat race with me to a ride, that is supposed to be unstressing. So my answer to the OP's question is no.
    But a few days ago on another forum in another language I came across a thread describing exactly the same behavior - some guy on a wrong turn apparently took a place in the front of pack he, in others' opinion, didn't deserve and somehow he was holding up the group, not letting them pass by. It nearly ended in a fist fight, let alone a verbal battle online. So "these guys" are real and, in a group loaded with ego, may do some damage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    Ahh... the joys of riding solo. Beats a group ride every time
    Amen!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    if you know the group is "slow" either show up early and get a few laps in or ride to the group ride.

Bandolero

Helmet Cam

It's also nice to be there with a camera when they fail. I've seen some spectacular OTBs by hanging in the back.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    I'd probably just start yelling at them to speed up, or move out of the way. If that fails a nice tire bump/buzz will do the trick. All of this in good fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0