Results 1 to 46 of 46
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    285

    Harsh words or not?

    Ok riding in this morning with two other co-workers and we are going through town at 6:30 in the AM. Dark very dark but a light changes to red and no car is around. There is a lady crossing the street and was waiting for the cross walk to say go. We blow through the light because there is no cars around and she yells at us "hey boys that was a red light" and then mutters a few harsh words towards bikers. We don't say anything but keep riding. How many of you stop at the red light with no one around? I just did not think it was appropriate for her to mutter harsh words at us. We I guess were in the wrong but still the first line would of been enough. "Boys that was a red light". Are we as a society angry towards every little discretion these days? Just curious she got me to thinking the rest of the ride in. Cheers

  2. #2
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-doo
    Ok riding in this morning with two other co-workers and we are going through town at 6:30 in the AM. Dark very dark but a light changes to red and no car is around. There is a lady crossing the street and was waiting for the cross walk to say go. We blow through the light because there is no cars around and she yells at us "hey boys that was a red light" and then mutters a few harsh words towards bikers. We don't say anything but keep riding. How many of you stop at the red light with no one around? I just did not think it was appropriate for her to mutter harsh words at us. We I guess were in the wrong but still the first line would of been enough. "Boys that was a red light". Are we as a society angry towards every little discretion these days? Just curious she got me to thinking the rest of the ride in. Cheers
    well, you were in the wrong. and in similar situations, i.e., when i'm riding/commuting and someone in a car does something like that i've been known to utter some pretty harsh words. mostly under my breath but still.

    on the other hand, i've also been known not to stop (but i do slow down) for a red light if no cars are around.

    fyi, you might want to check on the laws about giving pedestrians the right of way where you live. i got stopped and then screamed at by a cop during a group ride (yeah, i was off the back a bit and chasing like mad to catch back on) for not stopping for pedestrians in a cross walk. it irritated the h#ll out of me that he stopped me and no one else, not to mention i then had to sprint that much harder to catch the group, but i was in the wrong....

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  3. #3
    grasso e lento
    Reputation: Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    410

    Well bikes have to follow the VC

    You are a moving vehicle and the law does state you must stop at a red light.... I do, but if I see no cars and the crosswalks are clear I will take a red after stopping because the light will change for a bicycle alone..... We have cops around here that love to get red light runners.....

    Put yourself in her position.... Would if you guys hit her, or better yet would if she was in a car with the lights off driving to work half sleepy and she has a green and hits you guys... You have just messed up her day.....and life for that matter.....

    Why is it that people feel so compelled to due something wrong and not own up to it? You did something wrong and she blasted you for it... Good to her..... Now stopping running red lights and thinking it's not your fault...
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    285

    Now now.

    I know we were in the wrong. I stated that. Yes I do stop for Red lights and slow down for them as the case was. We always almost come to a rolling stop and then just keep going. Which was the case this morning. She was not endangered and we saw her ahead of time and were through the light before she even thought of stepping out into the cross walk. I have been pulled over myself and let go for running a red. I know the laws. I have been commuting for about ten years now. Everyone i don't care who you are does not always abide by the laws. NO ONE IS PERFECT. Yes I was in the wrong and yes I have muttered harsh words at drivers. So I'm lumping myself in with society just being angry these days. That is what got me thinking about the muttered words that were angry and harsh. Just like your email.

  5. #5
    Art is Resistance
    Reputation: djcrb9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,376
    I was the other guy on the ride with Scooby this morning.

    One, sure, we ran the light. No two ways about that... but, it had JUST turned. Two, the lady was off staring in space, and not even walking as we were parallel to her. It's not like we nearly mowed her down or anything. Even if she had started walking when she got the walk, she couldn't have sprinted and gotten to us, so we were not threatening to her in the least. We could have NEVER hit her.

    And besides, Scooby and i are so screamin' fast that we had no choice to keep going! When you're riding on a gentle incline at over 50mph, you need all the stopping distance you can handle! Ok, so maybe this was a bit of a stretch....

  6. #6
    Hairy man
    Reputation: Dwight Moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,935

    It's all four way yeilds as far as I'm concerned

    I approach every intersection as if it's got a yeild sign. I'm aware of the laws, I just break them. I figure if I'm being very, very aware (as I am when I'm riding in traffic) I might as well not have to restart at every stop sign and red-light.

    If the lady hadn't stepped into the crosswalk she had no reason to be pissed at you. If the street was clear and you could view the whole intersection and see it was safe and the lady was in the crosswalk I would have gone into the oncoming lane to go around her. If you didn't have a clear view you should have slowed to the point of being able to stop if her foot hit the pavement.
    We all get it in the end.

  7. #7
    grasso e lento
    Reputation: Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    410

    Ok

    Why the justification?? We are a pissed off place because people have lost the loving feeling.... My point is this..... You aren't any better than she is so why is it that she is in the wrong for the harsh words?

    Had you stopped and offered the right of way "I am only saying this too make a point" I am sure the results would have been different.

    It's just like parking in the handicap parking spot to "just run in for a minute" or park in the fire lane "just to grab something from inside"..... IT'S WRONG PEOPLE!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG..... Stupidity is not a handicap nor is it an excuse....

    People always ask why we have so many stupid laws on the books.... BECAUSE WE CAN'T SELF POLICE OURSELVES!

    Own up to what you did and give her, her props for standing up... Does two wrongs make a right? No, but you started it so take your lickings and go on....
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

  8. #8
    Art is Resistance
    Reputation: djcrb9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude
    Why the justification?? We are a pissed off place because people have lost the loving feeling.... My point is this..... You aren't any better than she is so why is it that she is in the wrong for the harsh words?

    Had you stopped and offered the right of way "I am only saying this too make a point" I am sure the results would have been different.

    It's just like parking in the handicap parking spot to "just run in for a minute" or park in the fire lane "just to grab something from inside"..... IT'S WRONG PEOPLE!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG..... Stupidity is not a handicap nor is it an excuse....

    People always ask why we have so many stupid laws on the books.... BECAUSE WE CAN'T SELF POLICE OURSELVES!

    Own up to what you did and give her, her props for standing up... Does two wrongs make a right? No, but you started it so take your lickings and go on....

    Take our lickings??? Like i said in an earlier post, she couldn't have run into us if she had tried. We weren't endangering her. She just want to spout some tough words, kind of like you are doing now. This is nothing like parking in a handicap spot.
    Speaking of cops, there was an article in our daily newspaper a few months ago from the police chief, stating that he didn't ticket cyclists running lights, as long as they were safe about it.

  9. #9
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-doo
    NO ONE IS PERFECT. Yes I was in the wrong and yes I have muttered harsh words at drivers.
    I think you need a hug.

    And a picture of a cute and cuddly Magical Merino sheep to make your day happier.



    There - now don't you feel better?

  10. #10
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,199

    Wtf?

    The fact that the two of you have posted here justifying your actions means that you feel convicted. Yes, you admitted wrongdoing, yet you continue to justify why you did it. Maybe the lady was wrong in stereotyping you in what she said, who knows, it really doesn't matter and is just a way of distracting from the point of the issue. I just find it interesting that your conscious got to you bad enough that you had to post here. Contrary to your claim that this post is about "anger", it's about you coming clean.

    Forgive yourself and move on.

    Just my thoughts as always.

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  11. #11
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    Take our lickings??? Like i said in an earlier post, she couldn't have run into us if she had tried. We weren't endangering her. She just want to spout some tough words, kind of like you are doing now. This is nothing like parking in a handicap spot.

    Have you heard of the new "Stand your Ground" law in Florida?

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...557282,00.html

    Better watch who you threaten with your wild ways...

  12. #12
    Art is Resistance
    Reputation: djcrb9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,376
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Have you heard of the new "Stand your Ground" law in Florida?

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...557282,00.html

    Better watch who you threaten with your wild ways...

    Good thing we don't live in Florida... the penis of America. Especially with Jeb in charge... Eek.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6
    [QUOTE=Dude]

    People always ask why we have so many stupid laws on the books.... BECAUSE WE CAN'T SELF POLICE OURSELVES!

    QUOTE]

    Although this is a little off-topic, I can't resist responding to this part of your post.

    It seems to me that many of us can self police ourselves, we are just not allowed to. For example, red lights are designed to prevent accidents by regulating traffic flow. Therefore, if there is no traffic, the red light becomes irrelevant. However, if I choose to ignore it in such a situation, I am still legally wrong. I have self-policed myself in the sense that I have considered the situation and taken a reasonable action, however, the law does not account for "reason". This seems stupid to most people. I'm sure there are lots of slipperly slope arguments, etc. But my point is that there are often situations in which the law is unnecessary, yet it still applies. This is what I complain about.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    285

    Forgive myself ok. all is forgiving.

    I guess truly what I'm getting at is and I busted myself for this as well, is the fact that she just could not yell "boys that was a red light" she had to add a few harsh words under her breath. That is what got me thinking. Me going through a red light does not even bother me. Nor her yelling at us that it was a redlight. It was the extra that got me. I have been trying to yes as the saying goes here on this thread "police myself" with the harsh comebacks towards drivers, people crossing the street when the signal says stop and most other things. Ok here it goes again and yes it may need to be posted somewhere else but this happend commuting in and it is my passion to ride my bike, but are we getting to be a bitter and angry society? Like Dude is in this thread. Just lash out at people because we can.

  15. #15
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,199

    We do live in an angry world

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-doo
    I guess truly what I'm getting at is and I busted myself for this as well, is the fact that she just could not yell "boys that was a red light" she had to add a few harsh words under her breath. That is what got me thinking. Me going through a red light does not even bother me. Nor her yelling at us that it was a redlight. It was the extra that got me. I have been trying to yes as the saying goes here on this thread "police myself" with the harsh comebacks towards drivers, people crossing the street when the signal says stop and most other things. Ok here it goes again and yes it may need to be posted somewhere else but this happend commuting in and it is my passion to ride my bike, but are we getting to be a bitter and angry society? Like Dude is in this thread. Just lash out at people because we can.
    I have to give you that much. She added insult to injury, and taking a potshot at you because you're a cyclist wasn't right.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,931

    Apologize to her

    The problem with a little indiscretion is that we're not always in a position to see the consequences. Riding on trails we encounter unleashed dogs even though signs say "Leashes Required". To the dog owner it's no big deal, his dog is a good dog. Yet my riding partner can't stand dogs and could injure herself trying to avoid the animal. What's missing is empathy for other people, you didn't know if the lady pedestrian had had a bad experience or a dead relative thanks to red light scofflaws.

  17. #17
    life is a barrel o'fun
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,502
    The way I see it, the biker is the one at risk for running a light or stop sign. So if they feel safe enough to do it, there's probably a good reason, like a complete lack of traffic or enough speed/momentum to get through without incident.

    It's the wrong answer, I know. I know! It's also perfectly legal for a bunch of bikers to take up room on a city street for a ride, but I can't see joining the Time's Up! ride that takes place every month downtown. It deliberately pisses drivers off despite being legal; riding through lights pisses off non-bikers unintentionally.....we can't win.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

  18. #18
    grasso e lento
    Reputation: Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    410

    Not angry

    I am not "ANGRY"...

    Ok I will give you she did add insult to injury and that was wrong of her but it doesn't make your point more valid.

    If you really want to find the answer to your question "Are we as a society angry towards every little discretion these days?" Just watch the news for a few days.. Don't watch anything else but the news. The news reports nothing but bad news, consumers are driven to purchase by mass media hype, the government lies, steals and cheats everyone of us. The cost of living is rapidly exceeding our ability to earn equal amounts. The rich continue to get richer and the rest of just happen along. Your local government shows a great distain to your needs and we become the cercaria of all the politicians. People fail to take responsibility of their own actions and therefore take a no harm no foul approach to life. It's all about us and me.... I need to get to the front of the line.. You had better get there first or they will be out... You must be the best at this and that.

    Ask yourself this: Why did I do it? I am not quantifying what she did as right either I am just trying to answer the question.
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

  19. #19
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,749

    A little perspective....

    Two riders were big ringing down what amounts to a deserted street at 50 mph. The traffic light made an arbitrary change to red. There happened to be a lady waiting on the sidewalk to walk in the same direction as the riders. What would you do? Get real people. You would have done the same thing.

    Scooby and DJ didn't disembowl a kitten in front fo a 1st grade class; they blew an orange light.

    It seems to me that a little does of MYOB would be good for the pedestrian.

    Ken

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    285

    Ok why did I do it?

    Because it was 6:30 am ball freezing cold out and no one was around. The lady was not even out in the cross walk and like another poster here said if it is clear and there is no inherent danger to anyone then I will go through stop signs and lights. If I get pulled over for doing so then I do not turn around and yell or argue with the police officer I just apologize and tell him he is right and that I know I was in the wrong. I did it and got caught. My own choice. As for Forkboy thanks for the hug and Merino wool. But I don't know you that well so I guess for now I will just take the Merino wool sheep. As for what pacman said he might be right. She might of had a bad experience with a cyclist in some form or another. I like to think it is that way and she was not lashing out. Dude, ok your not angry just playing the devils advocate or a police officer.

  21. #21
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,245

    Listen!

    I have run red lights, I admit it but never when traffic or pedestrians are near, the reason...not caus its the law, but out of courtesy. I know that to people, cars, whatever, ...bicyclists can seem brash. Its not because they taunt anyone while riding, it b/c they come flying by at speed and its very difficult to tell if they are observing the same things you are, and any mix up could end up a very bad accident. For the most part you can't see their eyes, you don't know what they are thinking, don't know if they even acknowledge your presence so as a pedestrian or driver one can feel tense about the bike encounters.

    When leaving my house I stop at a light leading onto the main street. There is very little traffic on this street, especially at 5am. However about once a week I meet here at the same time as a group of morning roadies, maybe 15 to 20 riders. Its the norm for a few stragglers to try to make the light as it changes red in order to keep up with the group. They blow through just after its changing to red. The rest do stop if i'm waiting to make a left turn. But those who just barely run the red light give riders a bad name. One day as i'm approaching the light at speed and it turns green in perfect timing I might enter (legally i might add) just as one is screaming across in front of me. Thats not a situation anyone wants. And even if it never happens every time I come to a green light with a bicyclist going the other way I have to think about it, caus I can't read everyones mind.

    I'm just cognizant of what other peoples points of view are when I'm riding. I'm also the guy in my group who is last back to the trailhead on the d/h fireroad run b/c I slow down A LOT when passing hikers. My buddies blow by at 25mph kicking dust everywhere and leaving some hiker cursing bikers, but thats just me, most people really DON'T get it. Just look at some of the replies...

    I say if no one is around to witness this minor traffic violation, go for it. I do. Otherwise think from others perspectives once in a while and just follow the rules in that situation.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 12-06-2005 at 01:01 PM.

  22. #22
    grasso e lento
    Reputation: Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    410

    Right on bro

    So the next time I run a red in the morning I am going to yell at the top of my lungs
    SCOOBY-DOO! and only a fellow mtbr'er will be in the know...

    and yes the tolorance level has been sliding for years now.....
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

  23. #23
    Hup, Hup
    Reputation: cbuchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    536
    Slightly off topic but...I feel that people tend to stereotype rather easily. When a person sees you running a red light, even when it is clear and safe, they assume that all cyclists are this way and therefore feel that they can justify the "harsh words". I am not saying that it is right or wrong, just my .02.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

  24. #24
    Cheney for Sith Lord '08
    Reputation: ArroyoBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    179

    Can't believe I'm getting sucked into this...

    So,you made a simple,human error.You obviously weren't out to hurt anyone.No harm,no foul.Personally,I would have apologized to her BEFORE she started talking smack.In case you can't tell from the responses,YES,we live in a very angry,hostile,and intolerant world where people are constantly looking for justification to lash out at others,of which I have been guilty as well.Many of these folks would be just as happy to hear that she yanked you off the bike and kicked you in the junk.It's nothing more than a simple miscommunication which should have been a relative non-issue,and I truly think she was probably already mad about something (being up at 6:30 am,perhaps?) and you were a convenient target.Try as I might to tolerate everyone's intolerances,but sometimes it becomes impossible. So,hopefully,you have learned a valuable lesson about taking care at seemingly empty intersections,and hopefully she learns a lesson about manners before she spouts off to the wrong person (people get shot over stupid crap like this,for chrissake!).Besides,ya already got cussed out by a stranger,so I see no need to be tarred and feathered on top of it all....the original reprimand should have been sufficient.Besides people,HE ADMITTED TO BEING IN THE WRONG!Go buy a punching bag or something, jeez.

  25. #25
    Cheney for Sith Lord '08
    Reputation: ArroyoBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude
    ..... You aren't any better than she is so why is it that she is in the wrong for the harsh words?

    ....
    Scooby did what he did out of simple human error....anyone without sin care to cast the first stone?Let's say it together..."Hypocracy".What she did was out of venomous spite from what I can tell.Their intentions seem to be quite different.If he had actually hit her or even come close to doing so,that'd be another story.Maybe you need a hug or somethin,dude.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745

    Absolutely

    I agree, you nailed it.

    Cheers,

    KavuRider
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  27. #27
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,563

    those damn car drivers

    When a person sees you running a red light, even when it is clear and safe, they assume that all cyclists are this way and therefore feel that they can justify the "harsh words".
    Why is it I only see cyclists use this argument? I never see this with car drivers, hikers, horse riders, stilt users, carnies, ect.

    I'm not saying it doesn't have merit but I just don't buy it for cyclists any more so than for road rage and car drivers.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    397

    With all due respect...

    I do agree with the post that states you are seeking some form of validation.

    If you guys were riding around 50 mph, how was it that you could hear her first comment and what she muttered...?

    I personally hate red lights now that I'm riding so much on the road. Whenever I get the opportunity, I run 'em. However, this is what I do:

    1) if the road is deserted - with the exception of a pedestrian, jogger, etc. - I take a quick glance back and then drift away another 6 feet or so into the lane. The person will see this and know instantly that I am deferential to her space.

    2) if the road does have traffic and I still need to go by, I will give a quick wave and/or a pre-emptive "Thank you!" as I pass. Again, this shows an acknowledgement that most people appreciate. Try it. More often than not, it works - on the road or trail.

    3) if I see a potential for confrontation with pedestrians or drivers, I give a quick wave. It is absolutely amazing how it mollifies the situation.

    4) if 1, 2, and 3 are not possible - I stop. I would rather risk going down solo as opposed to taking someone with me.

    I don't mind fighting. And quite honestly, it would not be a great idea to fight me. However, pro-actively avoiding conflict makes things easier for everyone. And, ultimately, it is more satisfying.
    Last edited by 514Climber; 12-07-2005 at 02:15 PM.

  29. #29
    Start slow and taper off
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    790
    The thing that you should or should not think about is the image presented. Unfortunately, everyone on a bike is considered a "biker" to any non-biker. I live in a small city, for example, and there are a whole lot of people who ride bikes all the time, yet are in no way like anyone who posts on mtbr. These are the guys who ride 24" and 20" girls bikes, bikes from department stores with the forks on backwards, etc. There's even a guy in my town who has a whole lot of issues (former bad drug abuser now semi-homeless with mental issues) that rides an old schwinn varsity, who often rides with no tires (riding on the rims, literally). This guy particularly doesn't see lights, doesn't see cars, doesn't see people. He'll ride on the street, with or against traffic, sidewalk, you name it. He usually has a front basketfull of scrap metal (how he makes a living) and often a bag or box tucked under his arm. When you see this guy coming you get out of the way.

    Now I know I can walk down my main avenue any day of the week and as a pedestrian, follow every rule, and still almost get hit by at least 1 or more 'bikers' and 1 or more cars. Never do I think these people are examples of all bikers, but for someone who doesn't ride a bike...

    Personally, I run stop lights all the time. However, in my town, knowing some of the police, I KNOW that they'll pull me over and ticket me if they catch me, so I'm darn careful. I also am hyper aware of pedastrians, and make it an obvious point to stop, no matte what speed I'm going, when I see one in the cross walk, because most probably assume I wont stop, but I'm going to at least present the image that one does.

    Ever been in NYC? Pedestrians don't give a crap whether you're in a car or bike or boat--when they have the light they go, consequences be damned. Likewise, a lot of bikers dont give a darn about anything other than cutting though lines of pedastrians.

    I'm not passing judgement, but...what you did was wrong, but big deal. What she did was wrong, but big deal. You "should've stopped", she shouldn't have made comments, but so it goes. I'd rather someone make disparraging comments than throw a bottle my way.

    My Artwork

    Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

  30. #30
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude
    Why the justification?? We are a pissed off place because people have lost the loving feeling.... My point is this..... You aren't any better than she is so why is it that she is in the wrong for the harsh words?

    Had you stopped and offered the right of way "I am only saying this too make a point" I am sure the results would have been different.

    It's just like parking in the handicap parking spot to "just run in for a minute" or park in the fire lane "just to grab something from inside"..... IT'S WRONG PEOPLE!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG..... Stupidity is not a handicap nor is it an excuse....

    People always ask why we have so many stupid laws on the books.... BECAUSE WE CAN'T SELF POLICE OURSELVES!

    Own up to what you did and give her, her props for standing up... Does two wrongs make a right? No, but you started it so take your lickings and go on....
    There is a difference between wrong and illegal. There are many laws that, if broken, do not result in a wrong. Hell, there are so many differences in state laws, how can one say something is wrong just because it is illegal? Scooby may have broken the law, but he did nothing wrong.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  31. #31
    Old man on a bike
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,383
    So just what were the "harsh" comments anyways?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  32. #32
    Start slow and taper off
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    There is a difference between wrong and illegal. There are many laws that, if broken, do not result in a wrong. Hell, there are so many differences in state laws, how can one say something is wrong just because it is illegal? Scooby may have broken the law, but he did nothing wrong.
    Maybe I'm dumb but this sounds like the "victimless crime" deal. Essentially, breaking the law is a "wrong". Plain and simple.

    Take J-walking. If no cars are around, no one gets hurt, etc. But under the law, its still "wrong". No one was "wronged" per se, but laws aren't always about that, unfortunately. And depending on the cop involved, some have no quams writing a ticket.

    One other thing is this--we as bikers want to be taken seriously by other vehicles(tho' maybe some dont care about that)--under the law we're supposed to be treated equal. Often doesn't happen, but should be the case. In most instances, when, a car ignores a bike as a legitimate vehicle with legitimate right of way, that car is breaking the law. But if no accident occurs, didn't really result in a "wrong". Regardless, the law was still broken and probably the biker who was "wronged" would be as pissed as the old lady.

    Also, if we do want the "protection" offered under the law that we are presumed to have, then willy-nilly breaking the law doesn't serve us well.

    And what is the difference really of going through a red light on a bike if no one is around, versus going through one with a car? Suppose the car comes to a complete stop, makes sure no one is around, then goes? Still wrong under the law, though again, no one wronged.

    I'm just playing devils advocate here, I already weighed in that it neither what the op did or what the old lady yelled should be that big of a deal.

    And last, regarding difference in laws--I learned early on the Negligence of the law is NOT and excuse to break the law--most times you will not get off for playing dumb regarding a law.
    My Artwork

    Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    So just what were the "harsh" comments anyways?

    Bring us back to the practical part of the story. Thank you. It only took 30 replies . . .

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-doo
    Are we as a society angry towards every little discretion these days?
    Apparently you are....

    Angry enough to post your whine on a public internet forum.
    Last edited by skiahh; 12-08-2005 at 06:13 AM.

  35. #35
    me like bikes
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,094

    i never stop

    well, i never stop. infact my friend and i wanted to do those races where you race through downtown new york or boston at rush hour. well our town gets really really busy and what took about 9 mintues to get from side to side 6years ago now takes 45mins in rush hour. so we decided to do our own race. we blew all the lights and stop signs. i think we didn't everything illegal that there was to do that involved your average normal driving laws. granted i did almost get my ass ran over cause i was on the wrong side of the road passing people and need to the right side to turn.

    well the point of my story is....riding through traffic is prolly the most fun i've ever had AND extremely dangerous, but hey it wouldn't be fun if it was safe. PS i beat the kid and he is sponsored and only has 2%body fat and is strong. made me feel like a bad ass, but i looked dumb riding through town with hairy legs i must admit. oh well

    screw traffic lights....just another form of the man trying to bring me down.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: majura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    523
    Where I live here in Australia (Canberra)... almost all of our traffic lights are triggerd by magnetic field (just at the white line). Essentially a bicycle can't trigger the sensor! It is only at certain times that the traffic lights change to a timer (during peak hour). So I do run red lights when there's no one around, but I do slow down and always give way to pedestrians. When there are cars around, i move onto the pedstrian crossing, where there's a handy button to trigger the lights- it's illegal (to ride on and off the road like that), but one time when a MTB police guy pulled me up about it I had to explain to him the aforementioned. The idiot let me off with an unoffical warning saying that I should wait till the next car comes along... in which I then proceeded to out-sprint his fat ass!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    397

    The practical part of the story

    Quote Originally Posted by MTBChick44
    Bring us back to the practical part of the story. Thank you. It only took 30 replies . . .
    is NOT the exact words the pedestrian uttered.

    The practical part of the story is that a fellow rider experienced confilct with a non-rider.

    The practical part of the story is a discussion on how similar occurences can be avoided.

  38. #38
    Old man on a bike
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,383
    Practical or not, I want to know what the lol (the original lol meant little old lady) said...I mean it must have been pretty good to get this guy to whine here.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,658
    You guess you were wrong??? You mean you aren't really quite sure it's wrong to run a red light? Even with no one around? Personally I think she was right and you were totally wrong. Would she have lambasted you if you'd have "OBEYED" the law. Not likely.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,829
    Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    The practical part of the story is that a fellow rider experienced confilct with a non-rider.
    Oh boy. The practical part of the story is some little old lady muttered "harsh" words and you're deeming this a conflict? YGBSM!!!

    The OP wanted validation that running red lights is OK and the little old lady was rude, anti-cyclist and a part of our "angry society."

    The practical part of the story is that he broke the law, got called on it and is now whining about it.

    He should just let it go, don't tell anyone he broke the law (regardless of how insignificant that infraction may be) and certainly don't post it to a public internet forum.

    HE'S *****ING ABOUT SOME MUTTERED COMMENTS THAT SOMEONE MADE BECAUSE HE DID SOMETHING WRONG, PEOPLE!!

    Why is everyone jumping to defend this guy? He was wrong, he got called on it. It is what it is and nothing more.

  41. #41
    Rat Fink
    Reputation: mbmojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,135
    I have a friend who got a traffic ticket for running a red light on his bike.
    .
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

  42. #42
    Art is Resistance
    Reputation: djcrb9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,376
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Oh boy. The practical part of the story is some little old lady muttered "harsh" words and you're deeming this a conflict? YGBSM!!!

    The OP wanted validation that running red lights is OK and the little old lady was rude, anti-cyclist and a part of our "angry society."

    The practical part of the story is that he broke the law, got called on it and is now whining about it.

    He should just let it go, don't tell anyone he broke the law (regardless of how insignificant that infraction may be) and certainly don't post it to a public internet forum.

    HE'S *****ING ABOUT SOME MUTTERED COMMENTS THAT SOMEONE MADE BECAUSE HE DID SOMETHING WRONG, PEOPLE!!

    Why is everyone jumping to defend this guy? He was wrong, he got called on it. It is what it is and nothing more.

    WOW! Aren't you the bitter little creature?

    Honestly, i don't know what the lady muttered, it was "bikers blah blah blah." Or blah blah bikers blah blah" i don't quite remember. We kind of chuckled about it. Hell, as we rode by, and she was on the sidewalk, i waved to her, nodded and made eye contact, all of that stuff.
    And i don't know about all the whining... you guys have made a bigger deal out of this than us. Scooby and i work together. We rode back home that night. We built a buddy's bike in my garage last night, while drinking many PBRs and Kokonees, and never brought this up. It was a funny thing to starta minor discussion on here to pass some tim eon a slow day at work, and now look! Some dude from Rhode Island, that neither of us have never met, nor will we, is freaking out about this. Ah, the wonders of the internet.
    I understand that's the nature of this forum and all, but it IS a little funny.

    What bothered me WAY more than the lady muttering at us was on the way home, we almost watched a dog get blasted by a truck. It was on the other side of the street, and it started running out to greet us. Oof, creepy. That would have not been cool at all. Luckily it sat right at the edge of the road.

  43. #43
    Cookin' in AZ
    Reputation: Berge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    238

    ... and if we just ... Well

    Are we as a society angry towards every little discretion these days?

    I think that since you did not turn around and "offer to debate the issue further" that society can cling to that small glimmer of hope that we will some day reach a more enlightened state of humanity.
    This space intentionally left blank

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    285

    Wow you like to keep saying I'm whining.

    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Apparently you are....

    Angry enough to post your whine on a public internet forum.

    Angry enough? I never once said I was angry nor do I really care that the old lady used harsh words. It seems to me that a lot of times people come on here to start a little arguement and you seem to keep calling me out by calling me a whiner so here ya go WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    285

    Once again when I say I guess or my other compatriot

    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    You guess you were wrong??? You mean you aren't really quite sure it's wrong to run a red light? Even with no one around? Personally I think she was right and you were totally wrong. Would she have lambasted you if you'd have "OBEYED" the law. Not likely.
    Said it. They mean in our eyes yes not the laws eyes there is a grey area here. I'm not here to debate wrong or right. In the laws eye I was wrong. In my eyes when there is no one around I will blow through as many red lights as I see fit. If I get caught which I have mentioned before that I have and was not ticketed I will except the crime of running a red light. But until then I will keep running the lights. The lady was on the sidewalk standing by the crosswalk button. We passed probably 15ft away from her. She had not even stepped off of the sidewalk or even started walking across the street yet. I'm a whiner, I'm asking for forgiveness, I've been yelled at but hey thats ok because everyone is entitled to there opinion. Now get out and ride those beautiful machines you have in your garage or where ever you keep them.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    397

    All you do is generalize.

    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Oh boy. The practical part of the story is some little old lady muttered "harsh" words and you're deeming this a conflict? YGBSM!!!

    The OP wanted validation that running red lights is OK and the little old lady was rude, anti-cyclist and a part of our "angry society."

    The practical part of the story is that he broke the law, got called on it and is now whining about it.

    He should just let it go, don't tell anyone he broke the law (regardless of how insignificant that infraction may be) and certainly don't post it to a public internet forum.

    HE'S *****ING ABOUT SOME MUTTERED COMMENTS THAT SOMEONE MADE BECAUSE HE DID SOMETHING WRONG, PEOPLE!!

    Why is everyone jumping to defend this guy? He was wrong, he got called on it. It is what it is and nothing more.
    Not everyone is jumping to defend the rider. Re-read the posts. Many have flat out stated he was in the wrong. Some have defended his actions.

    And he may have broken the letter of the law by running the red light. However, the spirit of the law under such conditions (early morning, no cars, etc) makes running the red light somewhat debatable.

    You're seeing this as black and white. Unfortunately, as any honest road rider will admit, instances like this happen quite frequently.

    If you have the ability to calm yourself down, do so and go through this thread again.

    The original poster may be guilty of an indiscretion.

    You are definitely guilty of being narrow-minded.
    Last edited by 514Climber; 12-08-2005 at 11:53 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.