mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good places to LIVE

Ok here is the deal. I am graduating from college in December with a degree in math education, and I'm looking for ideas on good areas to live. Some place with awesome road ridding or mountain bike riding, and a large group of local riders. Fast people are great and lots of close local races would be a major plus.
    I am inclined to enjoy mountain areas over flat ones but I'm open to anything

So where should I start looking for a JOB!!!
    Last edited by brkfstman; 11-29-2005 at 09:09 PM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    A place that accepts spelling like ridding when you mean riding. j/k
    Seriously, aren't math teachers in demand about everywhere?

Maybe check out the lists you can find on the Internet of the best places to live; the ones that look promising for mountain biking, research further.

banned
    First, I'd be careful not to mention awsome road ridding, mountain bike ridding or group of local ridders on your job application or they might question how any college would graduate someone who can't spell awesome, riding, or riders. They might even make you prove that a math major can add and subtract.

On the other hand you could get a job here in Flagstaff where nobody can add or spell and our local university leads the country in drop-outs.

I'd look for work in North Carolina, West Virginia, Colorado, Northern California, Oregon, Arizona, and maybe Idaho and New Mexico. You'll have to contact bike shops in any town or city you might be interested in to see how large the local riding community is and how much racing is going on.

mtbr member
    Austin, TX

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Denver ain't half bad.... you should be able to find a job here no problem, its one of the high needs areas in Colorado...good riding throughout the state...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Stockton schools could always use another good math teacher. Especially in the Lincoln School District.

You can ride with Finch Platte and his merry gang, Ogre, some Troggs, and myself.

http://www.sjcoe.org/

Your welcome,

jps

E !

Don't come to VEgas

This place sux!
    the - E - dog

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Check out Flower Mound Texas. It's a booming town of 55-60k people and growing near Grapevine lake. I have about 5 good trails within a 10min drive from my house and you can ride all year round. They are building new schools left and right so I'm sure it would be easy to find a job. Checkout DORBA for info about the trails around here.

bob
    mtbr member

Well....

There aren't many areas that aren't screaming for teachers so you can go just about anywhere. But, I would look at pay vs. cost of living then look at the biking amenities. Don't just look at a school district's starting pay, look at the entire pay scale. What will you be making five years down the road? I have no doubt you can find an area that has a good school sytem to work for, reasonable cost of living, and great biking.

I live in south FL and I'm married to a teacher. Don't come here.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by imjps
    Stockton schools could always use another good math teacher. Especially in the Lincoln School District.

You can ride with Finch Platte and his merry gang, Ogre, some Troggs, and myself.

http://www.sjcoe.org/

Your welcome,

jps

The Bay Area of California, cant go wrong for avail. riding,
    Sean

Samsonite Tester
    Ashville N Carolina
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    Ashville N Carolina
    Nashville Tennesee

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Samsonite Tester
    Nashville Tennesee
    Santa Cruz Cali.

Samsonite Tester
    Santa Cruz Cali.
    Denver Colo.

Samsonite Tester
    Las Vegas NV.

Made my 666th post at 9:11am 11/30/05

it's not about the bike
    Denver Colo.
    Thing about Denver is it doesn't have year round riding, unless you like freezing to death

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I second Austin, TX. I'm a teacher and will be moving back to Austin at the end of this school year. The Raleigh, NC area has some great riding but the school district is horrible and teachers don't make squat. There is good money in and around Austin and the racing scene is top notch. Check out tmbra.org for state races. Austin has a ton of local races throughout the year as well. As far as the teaching profession in Texas goes....I think it's great (depending on your administration of course) and the state test (TAKS) is alligned with your curriculum so you're actually teaching what the kids are going to be tested over. Good Luck and keep us updated!

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    your money and riding will go the furthest anywhere in the southern appalachains...start at the va/west va/maryland line and go south to chattanooga. riding is awesome, and there are about 5 major college towns along the chain which would at least give you some degree of culture to hang with, and again...the biking is great.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    I've been looking at Austin, TX for a bit. Seems like one of the better places to be. I live in CT right now and it pretty much sucks from my point of view. Some of the other places I've checked out were Mammoth Lakes, CA, Lake Tahoe, CA, Fruita, CO. All these places have good riding, but not year round. I'm not a teacher, I'm a chef and like a teacher I should be able to get a job just about anywhere. The questions to be answered are how good is the economy, how good are the restaurants. I spent a lot of money going to The Culinary Institute of America and spent years eating **** fighting my way up the kitchen ladder and all that time dealing with A-Holes has to pay off. Believe me restaurant kitchens produce a lot of A-Holes, I'm one myself.
    Back to Austin, TX. It seems to me to meet all my requirements. I'm most likely going there in the spring.
    I like to ride bikes.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    i'm sure as hell indiana isn't the place to be....thats for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2004

2 good places

Quote Originally Posted by brkfstman
    Ok here is the deal. I am graduating from college in December with a degree in math education, and I'm looking for ideas on good areas to live. Some place with awesome road ridding or mountain bike riding, and a large group of local riders. Fast people are great and lots of close local races would be a major plus.
    I am inclined to enjoy mountain areas over flat ones but I'm open to anything

So where should I start looking for a JOB!!!
    Orange County, CA
    Boise, ID

I have lived in both places and currently reside in Boise
    I like it here but do prefer Cal.
    someone on the Idaho board doesn't like me. True, we would like to move
    but this person is taunting me unprovoked....

Anyhoo, both places are very good for riding, but would have to give OC the nod
    for more diversity of riding and the best weather around.

For teaching, I think the Meridian and Eagle school districts in Idaho treat their teachers good, or are you going to try and teach at a junior college?
    If so, I would not recommend Idaho and would steer you to the OC
    since Idaho has a very weak JC system aka non existent almost

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    I've been looking at Austin, TX for a bit. Seems like one of the better places to be. I live in CT right now and it pretty much sucks from my point of view. Some of the other places I've checked out were Mammoth Lakes, CA, Lake Tahoe, CA, Fruita, CO. All these places have good riding, but not year round. I'm not a teacher, I'm a chef and like a teacher I should be able to get a job just about anywhere. The questions to be answered are how good is the economy, how good are the restaurants. I spent a lot of money going to The Culinary Institute of America and spent years eating **** fighting my way up the kitchen ladder and all that time dealing with A-Holes has to pay off. Believe me restaurant kitchens produce a lot of A-Holes, I'm one myself.
    Back to Austin, TX. It seems to me to meet all my requirements. I'm most likely going there in the spring.
    Tons of good Restaurants here in Austin. I hope you like hot weather too cause we've got it. Being serious, it is a nice place to live and play.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailgirl
    Thing about Denver is it doesn't have year round riding, unless you like freezing to death
    denver isn't very cold, except for a couple of stretches...most years you can ride almost year round...like this year, some of the trails are still dry..but today is cold, but friday is supposed to be 55...
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    denver isn't very cold, except for a couple of stretches...most years you can ride almost year round...like this year, some of the trails are still dry..but today is cold, but friday is supposed to be 55...
    Harrisonburg VA has great road and incredible mountain biking. You could find a job pretty easy teaching I would imagine. There are also three colleges i nthe immediate area so you could always land a job there eventually.

Elitest thrill junkie
    LA or New York.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BustyRucket
    Check out Flower Mound Texas. It's a booming town of 55-60k people and growing near Grapevine lake. I have about 5 good trails within a 10min drive from my house and you can ride all year round. They are building new schools left and right so I'm sure it would be easy to find a job. Checkout DORBA for info about the trails around here.
    GACK!!

Belltown Brazer
    I vote for Connecticut. The highest paid teachers in the country (though the COL will eat that up and your overall quality of life would be about the same as, say, Ashville NC). Good place to raise a family...less good for single folks. Great riding 9 months per year. tough riding the rest. Great road biking...so many back roads. Huge road racing scene. Huge cyclocross scene. Good WW kayaking, good sea kayaking. Good hiking. Skiing 2 hours away. Ocean stuff right here. Fairly benign weather...the property-destroying storms are rare (actually from a natural-disaster point of view CT is the safest state in the union). We don't have mountains, but we have more than enough hills.

New Englanders not the most friendly folks at first...our puritan ancestors taught us to keep to ourselves...probably to a fault.

B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailgirl
    Yeah, I'd stay away from Colorado all together. The whole state sux!
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

MCF
    mtbr member

Austin...

I third, fourth and fifth Austin... I live in Houston and it sux!!! Going to Austin is depressing because I always have to come back to Houston. Austin - lakes, rivers, trails, etc., etc. Houston - flat, concrete, ugly (but we do have a large pool of inexpensive laborers - called illegal aliens)....before any one asks...the reason I don't move to Austin is because there isn't much of a need for a Mechanical Engineer in the petrochemical industry in Austin...I figure if you want to live in Austin, you better teach, work with computers, enjoy working at a record store or delivering pizza.....

German dude

Chattanooga, TN

Chattanooga, TN has made the top ten list of Outside Mag before as one of the most affordable and cool outdoorsy places to live. It constantly gets better and all my friends who have visited this place have raved about it.

Cheers,
    Herbert

Look out!
    Anywhere but Boise Idaho, too many people here now. The trail system is overloaded and it is rainy and snowy in the winter and hotter-n-hades in the summer.

Mark
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr
    I vote for Connecticut. The highest paid teachers in the country (though the COL will eat that up and your overall quality of life would be about the same as, say, Ashville NC). Good place to raise a family...less good for single folks. Great riding 9 months per year. tough riding the rest. Great road biking...so many back roads. Huge road racing scene. Huge cyclocross scene. Good WW kayaking, good sea kayaking. Good hiking. Skiing 2 hours away. Ocean stuff right here. Fairly benign weather...the property-destroying storms are rare (actually from a natural-disaster point of view CT is the safest state in the union). We don't have mountains, but we have more than enough hills.

New Englanders not the most friendly folks at first...our puritan ancestors taught us to keep to ourselves...probably to a fault.

B
    I've lived in CT for about 9 years. It's not a bad place. As said above not a fun place if your single. I lived in Hartford for the last 8 years and just moved to Old Saybrook. It's incredilbly boring here. Hartford as it turns out is better. The towns surrounding hartford have really good school systems there's good mtb riding. Road riding is a little better in Saybrook because of the lack of traffic that the Hartford area has. We have a pretty good mtb race series too. Check it out at Root66raceseries.com. They put on really good events. Personally I'm most likely going to Austin, TX.
    I like to ride bikes.

fc
    head minion Administrator

Here is the the deal.

Work and live in Los Gatos, CA. It is a town on the highway 17 foothills between San Jose and Santa Cruz.

The mountain biking is the best in the bay area because you're in the foothills and you have Santa Cruz and Saratoga hills close by.

The road biking is insane!! Norcal peninunsula road riding is probably the best in the country.

There are half-nekid rich girls getting fit everywhere. Everyone is a hottie and an athlete.

Real estate is a mess. $1.5 million average for a house. But don't worry about that. You have to rent anyway. Share a nice studio with two hotties like Three's Company.

francois

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    In San Diego you can ride all year. There seems to be less mountain biking than one would expect for this area. Also cost of living is absolutely ridiculous (CA), and the city governement and finances are a disaster of epic proportions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    New Jersey,aint that bad.
    prunepit

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    New Jersey,aint that bad.

sorry to burst your bubble, but i grew up there....its bad, very bad
    BBZ

Get Down Do you
    1st of all lay off the guy for spelling he is after all graduating with a math degree. Which last time I checked had very little to do with spelling.

As for places to ride and live. In the east NC is the only way to go. Live in a place like Raleigh or Charlotte and you will have access to great local trails that are wonderfully maintained and be within a short driving distance of some of the greatest trails in the east.

http://www.trianglemtb.com/

http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/index.cfm

You will also be able to ride most of the year b/c although NC gets hit by some cold spells they never seem to stay long. Indian summer is a way of life there.

Out west I am sure that Texas would be nice although Texas is not just a state it's a way of life.

Other than that if you wanted to split your time between MTB in the summer and say Snowboarding/Skiing in the winter than Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado are great places to go.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i'd move to austin....plan on moving back to austin as fast as possible.....great city, culture, people, music, parks, trails.....you name it and austin has it....it even ices/snows every few years.....yeah, it's normally only a one day thing, but kind of cool when it happens....and the hill country is beautiful

only downside is that it's pretty hard to get a teaching job in austin......had several friends graduate when i did that couldn't get a job there even after student teaching in the district for several years......another option is to live in round rock, 20min north of austin (eventually they will merge....I'm sure) Or live in north austin and teach in round rock, although i'm partial to sw/central austin myself.....

texas is a way of life.....most people who spend any kind of time there decide that texas is home though and plan on coming back.....if they can ever manage to tear themselves away in the first place!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by polartrekker

texas is a way of life.....most people who spend any kind of time there decide that texas is home though and plan on coming back.....if they can ever manage to tear themselves away in the first place!
    No. I've been to Texas many times. I lived across the border and went there on trips many times. I've been to Austin, Amarillo, El Paso, DFW, Houston, and many many little places in between.

Much of it is flat (not all of it, but much of it) and in the summer, friggin hot. Gotta love that "oven wind" that kicks up and is somehow hotter than the surrounding air. Also gotta love the severe thunderstorms.

It doesn't have many redeaming features in my experience. No real "mountain trails", mostly boring flat terrain, and crappy weather.

The huge metro sections of the big cities are what give it a good sized population, but are the cities any different than the cities in any other state?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Loser

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by otis24
    I live in CT right now and it pretty much sucks from my point of view.
    I'll agree that there are aspects of CT that are sucky, however its not that bad. There are about a dozen places to ride within an hour of my house, most have 20-30 miles of trails. I've ridden in AZ, UT, NH and NC, among other places - the trails around here compare favorably against anything I have ridden. There is little conflict with user groups. I ride year round, missing perhaps 6-10 weekend rides in a year. Its a relatively short ride to either NYC or Boston. Most importantly within my part of CT - there is NO traffic.

All that defending done, as soon as I get done putting my kids through college, I'm off to the west - Utah's looking like a good place to retire to me. Not so much to "get away" from CT, but for a change of pace.

John

just along for the ride
    My wife is a 8th grade math teacher in SLO, California and its an awesome place to ride year round but I hope your wife will make 40K++ too so you can afford a shack here. Fcking real turds are pumping this place into oblivion. Oh well, riding tomorrow cool 50's with 80-100 mile visibility on the ridgetops, I feel like I died and went to heaven

just along for the ride
    This is what January looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I currently live in Chattanooga, and grew up in a small town called Blue Ridge (Aska Adventure area, Tsali, Ocoee, etc). My wife & I moved back east, to Chatt, a few years ago after livng in San Diego for six years. Both east & west coast have some great riding to offer, but the fundmanetal difference, for us, has been the people.

Even though we are from the east coast, we found that we "fit" better out west. Most folks out there are into some form of recreation- weather it's biking, surfing, running, whatever. Because of that, it seemed to me that the predominent cultural philosophy was more of a "Work to live" outlook.

Since we have moved back east, we have found it increasingly difficult to find people we have much in common with. Yes, there are people that ride and parsue outdoor recreation (other than hunting or fishing), but they are a tiny, tiny minority. People here seem more inclined to watch spectator sports, sit on the couch, and focus on work(Live to work). The vast, vast majority of the people that door consider themselves "outdoors" people, spend there recreation time in a tree styand or on a bass boat. I'm not knocking it, I grew up surrounded by it, I'm just stating that there are some huge lifestyle differences.
    With all that, my wife and I are doing the same thing you are; we are searching for the "perfect" place to live- but it will be out west.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    No. I've been to Texas many times. I lived across the border and went there on trips many times. I've been to Austin, Amarillo, El Paso, DFW, Houston, and many many little places in between.

Much of it is flat (not all of it, but much of it) and in the summer, friggin hot. Gotta love that "oven wind" that kicks up and is somehow hotter than the surrounding air. Also gotta love the severe thunderstorms.

It doesn't have many redeaming features in my experience. No real "mountain trails", mostly boring flat terrain, and crappy weather.

The huge metro sections of the big cities are what give it a good sized population, but are the cities any different than the cities in any other state?
    Well, you just exemplified why Texas is a great place....anyone who has negative feelings towards the state, cities, culture, or whatever leave and take their negative attitudes someplace else....like "across the border". Thanks for keeping Texas a great place to live!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    The Bay Area of California, cant go wrong for avail. riding,
    Sean

but you afford to live there on an entry level teachers' salary?

Cheney for Sith Lord '08
    Wow!Polartrekker,I absolutely couldn't have put it better myself.As a native of South Texas (San Antonio,one of the most underrated and underappreciated cities around,in my opinion) I feel that too much undeserved flack is given to Central/South Tx,which truly can't be generalized with the rest of the state by a simple blanket statement.The S.Texas hill country is most certainly NOT flat or boring,Austin has one of the most (if not THE most) temperate climates in the state, the socioeconomic climate is substantially less rabidly right-wing than many people assume the entire state to be(there's actually a *gasp*...GREY AREA in the middle!Ya don't have to be a staunch conservative blowhard OR an ultraliberal preaching douchebag!),as well as having a more than fair pay scale as compared to cost of living.Don't get me wrong though,the Tx stereotypes do fit some areas of the state, not this one so much though(Ditto on H-Town being a pit;that's almost unavoidable)...just remember how big a state it is.How much do San Diego and Sacramento have in common,for example?
    So,let's go ahead and get the obvious out of the way.Texas has very few mountains which are reserved mostly to far-western Tx (El Paso area).NOWHERE in Texas is "cool" in the summer...but if ya don't know that already,here's your dunce cap.And yes,Dubya is from Tx...kinda....sorry 'bout that,but many of us hated him as governor too (ever heard of the "Texas Death Machine"?Guess who was "pullin' the lever"...).Now,accept those things,or not,and then decide.
    Personally,I think the Bay Area is absolutely gorgeous,but I cannot in any way justify the difficulty in moving to a place where I'm going to dish out $1500-$2000 a month for a one bedroom, because I hate eating ramen noodles,shopping at X-Mart,and not being able to upgrade my bike.Were it not for that I'd live there right now.I feel there are better options from a practical standpoint,and perhaps Austin will be one of them for you (Chattanooga is a great place as well...gorgeous place).But that's just my opinion.I have nothing against SoCal.***rant alert*I**t just gets SO old being a frequent traveller and having to hear so many ignorant and unfair opinions about my home.No flaming intended,except for maybe the conservative/liberal statement ...if we can't meet in the middle sometimes,we're wasting our breath.Rant off....thank you,and good luck with your decision.
    GREAT reasons to live in Austin:
    1.Fast-growing economy,especially in computer/comp.-information industries(both requiring many math-related courses as prerequisites)
    2.Easy to make a decent living
    3.Good,rocky,hilly(but NOT mountainous)terrain with many lakes,rivers,and beautiful foliage
    4.EXCELLENT music/singles scene (sweet,pretty,single girls aplenty thanks in large part to U.T.)
    5.YEAR-ROUND RIDING!...as long as you don't mind the rainy seasons too much.But mostly 40f-65f during the day in the winter,and it barely cools off at night
    Last edited by ArroyoBomber; 12-05-2005 at 04:39 PM.

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    How about Hagerstown, Maryland?

Advantages: Close proximity to some great MTB trails, and lots of them all within an hour. Reasonably close to D.C. & Baltimore, but the cost of living is cheaper. Great roads for road riding as Hagerstown is nestled between two mountain ranges, so when you look to the East or West, you see mountains. Good, organized mountain bike (and road bike) groups in the area. Decent teacher's pay in nearby Montgomery County (not to mention a whole slew of trails to ride after school).

Disadvantages: Most of your neighbors will have family trees with crossing branches. Pay in Washington County (where Hagerstown is located) isn't great. Pretty wet & cold winter, and hot, humid summers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Four years ago I had a job that allowed me to move anywhere in the country I wanted. My wife and I kept our search to the east coast and chose Atlanta. North Georgia is beautiful with incredible riding. The two things that bother me the most here (as a former New Yorker) are a deplorable lack of anything resembling a decent restaurant and museums that seemed to forget that they should include things to look at. Over all this has been a great place to live and being able to buy a 5000 square foot house for less then my 1000 square foot house in NY is a definite plus.

More Chasmism

Thread Trajectory Observation

What portion of these responses involve people talking about where they themselves live? Seems that threads of this type (I have seen many before) always bring out the local pride.

It appears that the average mountain biker (or at least as represented here) is much happier with with her/his locale than is the average American. For the purpose of substantiation, I guess I'll have to fish for some survey info on general geographic satisfacion.

Most everyone thinks they've arrived. That's an optimistic state of affairs.

hfly

Members who have read this thread: 0