local trails rider

Fun on a road bike

Spotted this video on a local forum:

... I know that guy does well on a mountain bike too ...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Spotted this video on a local forum:

... I know that guy does well on a mountain bike too ...

+ .5

Oxymoron for a title, but I'll give you a big 1/2 pt for the video. might be MORE fun on a mtbike with slicks!

Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    i know it ain't Ray's but i'm sorry, that was pretty lame.

surly inbred
    Rabid hyenas & flaming horse poo. That would spice things up.

mtbr member
    BMXs, knee pads and contact rules would make that more fun, nice idea though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    i know it ain't Ray's but i'm sorry, that was pretty lame.
    +1 sorree

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    might be MORE fun on a mtbike with slicks!
    Probably more slow, though. They weren't racing but still...
    Last edited by perttime; 01-11-2011 at 12:53 PM.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Add some barriers and something to decrease traction and you've got an indoor variant of cyclocross. It has potential.
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    It needs some jumps....and some dirt. I'm not sure what that grey stuff on the ground is but it doesn't look too fun.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    I think it would be fun to ride, but not that fun to watch.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What a waste of time...

for the guys riding that is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    See the number one problem is that there is not enough people on the track. put 20 guys out there and tell them whoever wins gets a sixer of their choice and it would be a ton of fun.

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    See the number one problem is that there is not enough people on the track. put 20 guys out there and tell them whoever wins gets a sixer of their choice and it would be a ton of fun.
    I'd force each one to drink a 90 minute ipa beer on each lap. Then we might have some fun.

local trails rider
    OK, OK,

I see you guys would prefer driving a tractor over boulders to driving a Ferrari on a twisty country road

mtbr member
    Although driving tractors over boulders is awesome, maybe navigating a rally car through back roads would be a better comparison. Or is that cyclocross....

This would definitely be cool if there was an actual race going on, and don't kid yourselves about traction, that concrete is so buffed and smooth it's a lot slicker than you'd think. A couple missed squirts from water bottles and there'd be all kinds of people down.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by akura
    Although driving tractors over boulders is awesome, maybe navigating a rally car through back roads would be a better comparison. Or is that cyclocross....

This would definitely be cool if there was an actual race going on, and don't kid yourselves about traction, that concrete is so buffed and smooth it's a lot slicker than you'd think. A couple missed squirts from water bottles and there'd be all kinds of people down.
    Yeah, I was going to say I'll bet traction is a bit sketchy.

mtbr member
    OK, OK,

I see you guys would prefer driving a tractor over boulders to driving a Ferrari on a twisty country road

that analogy is a SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRETTTCCCHHHHH.

maybe if the carts were pinning it at the same time it would give a death race 2000 feel.
    if you cant drift when its slick its a waste of time!

why not hit a 20 story parking garage instead?!!!!!!

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    OK, OK, I see you guys would prefer driving a tractor over boulders to driving a Ferrari on a twisty country road.
    Yes, I can afford a tractor.

mtbr member
    really i thought it looked like a lot of fun! and i agree get more people out there- could be a blast to watch!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119
    that analogy is a SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRETTTCCCHHHHH.

maybe if the carts were pinning it at the same time it would give a death race 2000 feel.
    if you cant drift when its slick its a waste of time!

why not hit a 20 story parking garage instead?!!!!!!
    Hitting an 10 story parking garage with some friends this weekend, one of them is guna be on a longboard, should be fun when the mall cops realize what we're doing

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    I think it's cool. Man, if you lived up north, it was snowy and you were jonesing for competition.... Back in the day Velodrome racing was huge. Definitely be cool as a full contact sport (rubbing is racing). I'm surprised there isn't more indoor racing up in the great white north.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazdxb
    Hitting an 10 story parking garage with some friends this weekend, one of them is guna be on a longboard, should be fun when the mall cops realize what we're doing
    got my holesom board ready for some of that, too! make sure to take the elevator up and stay in stealth mode away from johnny law!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride
    Man, if you lived up north, it was snowy
    Conditions are not exactly ideal for road bikes in their town now. Snow, and it is a bit chilly too. Almost 5 hours of daylight ... Don't know if they manage to keep some trails open in Winter.

http://www.foreca.com/Finland/Oulu
    (temps in Celsius)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    OK, OK,

Yeah, my tractor-like Sanction 1 bombing the rocks may be humble but IMO road bikes on concrete indoors under flourescent lighting just isn't that exciting, let alone inspire adrenaline-pumping connections to tearing it up on the curves in an high-end Italian sports car along the Riviera outside Monte Carlo.

Music was though.

pxx
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm the rider behind the camera. That video was shot just to show that some kinda indoor cycling is possible even in our city. Not many other chances here up north. Tomorrow, it's gonna be -24 degrees Celsius here. That's about -11 F I guess..?

So, a friend of mine (the other guy in the video) called this local karting track and asked if a test ride could be possible. They agreed and we went for some 45mins there to test whether it would be reasonable at all to arrange something on this very track.

My initial opinion was that the track is too tight for serious training or racing. And I still think that is the case. It's got too tight corners and the track is kinda short for such. Would you be able to scale that track up 150%, it might be a totally different story.

But, for a 10-15 ppl group for having fun there, that just might be great place. They've got chips there, which you can attach to your bike with zip ties and also a video projector so that you can see your lap times realtime, and compete against your friends. Also they've got a Sauna (duh, of course, it's Finland ) and some other facilities. Perfect escape from the freezing winter

In the end, it was much better workout than I would have imagined. Due to those tight corners and accelerations. Will go there again too, if we just get the chance

pxx
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The track surface is slick, yes. Especially if wet. That too is that's a +1 for the +150% scaling. We sure are thinking of some kinda time trials there, with above-mentioned chip timing. That CX idea with some kinda barriers would be nice

And, we are hitting garage parks too here. Small city though, so we don't have too high ones here. Still, the amount of snow and ice that travels inside with the cars totally prevents using road bikes here. Believe me, I tried. It took quite a lot of time to get down to ground level

The other option is this (warning, a 15-minute video), but the other roadies just prefer to stay inside. Boring

Last edited by pxx; 01-14-2011 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pxx
    I'm the rider behind the camera. That video was shot just to show that some kinda indoor cycling is possible even in our city. Not many other chances here up north. Tomorrow, it's gonna be -24 degrees Celsius here. That's about -11 F I guess..?

In the end, it was much better workout than I would have imagined. Due to those tight corners and accelerations. Will go there again too, if we just get the chance
    I think it looks like fun, but with a big potential for someone to get hurt if they went down hard in a race. I'm thinking flat pedals and maybe some pads if you get into serious racing.

(later)

Just checked out the cx video - that looks like a blast!
    Last edited by HarryCallahan; 01-14-2011 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Probably more slow, though. They weren't racing but still...
    No way, haven't you heard? Everyone on MTBR passes roadies on their mounatin bikes, going 35mph with knobbies on.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by pxx
    The other option is this
    That looked pretty good. I think we've been getting more snow, further south.

Like: as soon as the trails get nicely packed, we get enough new snow to make them almost unrideable. One of the guys has been building drops and jumps out of snow in Leinola (pxx knows where that is). He's already done a pretty good face plant out of the biggest one he built...

Bizarro
    Apr 2010

I'd be there

Looks way more fun than a stationary trainer (which I wont do) I'd rather get fatter,
    I'm looking out my window at 18 inches of snow wishing I could ride.
    Time for a hike or cc skiing i guess.
    Gotta do something

RC

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My Spec Allez has been hanging in my garage for at least a year. Just don't have the motvation to ride road, the woods are much more interesting to me. Since I live in FL the weather is not an issue. With snow on the ground the kart track would be fun I guess.

Members who have read this thread: 0