mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Feeling indifferent sometimes?

Do you worry that you are losing interest if you are not in the mood to go out on your bike.Sometimes at the end of the week after being at work i actually feel less than enthusiastic about cycling and it bothers me.I suppose that it bothers me is a good thing because maybe i am just feeling off and thats it in a nutshell.Do you think too much ,isnt it boring............zzzzzzzzzzzz. .I do seem to get a thought that i am getting to old for this sometimes ,i am 42 and feel uncomfortable out on my bike thinking other people are saying why doesnt he grow up.Sad isnt it,feeling insecure at my age.I have been a pasionate cyclist all my life but sometimes life wears me down.Negative thinking can be so bad if you let it get the better of you but sometimes is it actually real or not.Please discuss.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My friends give me grief whenever I tell them that I'm going to go hit the trails. I just laugh it off because I know they don't understand the joy that you can get from biking. The winter is really tough for me, since there aren't any trails open around me and it gets to be so cold. This site is what keeps me sane and looking forward to biking. Reading other people's stories and looking at their bikes keeps me excited. Also the fact that when I think about how much I've spent on this sport in such a short amount of time and the fun I get from it almost forces me to get out there and bike. I'm glad that it forces me to get out there because when I do finally get biking I'm usually the happiest I've been in a long time.
    2005 Gary Fisher Advance
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ran into this when I was racing cyclocross.

I had to ask myself, "Why do I ride?"

When I came up with a good, honest answer, I never get bored of riding. Riding for training purposes, for me, SUCKED. So I quit the race season and went back to my old self.

Weather and health permitting (no injuries or flu or something like that) I ride nearly everyday without getting burned out. Plus, I just don't put a ton of importance on riding even though I ride everyday. So if I miss a day, or two, or three... it's all good. Sometimes my rides will last 4 hours, sometimes 30 min.

Plus, it's fine if I'm not climbing like a goat, beating my previous accomplishments, dropping a rider or bombing down singletrack. Sometimes, I just get on my urban cruiser and ride around, clearing my head.

I grew up freestyle BMX'ing - when we just grabbed our bikes, opened the door, and pedalled. We rolled until we found something interesting, sessioned it, and moved on with no real commitment. If we found a fruit tree in the street, we'd stop and eat. We'd stop to talk to girls and watch the surfers (Santa Cruz, Ca.). Sometimes we'd hit the mountain bike trails, or find an empty parking lot and practice our ground tricks.

I think "grown-ups" want to do things with "purpose". In our busy, lack-of-time lives we want to "get things done". So we end up getting out to ride with a ride check list: climb this trail, descend, hit an average speed of "X", beat my last time, etc.

Unless you have that type of personality for constant grinding, burn out is inevitable.

Try this: get on your bike and start pedalling. Ride through local parks, stop and chase the ducks, pet a friendly dog, stop at a coffee shop and grab a drink, bring a sandwich, bring a camera, bring your iPod or phone and listen to a podcast, hit a skatepark, ride down some stairs... just enjoy rolling in your environment. Sh*t... paint a watercolor!

But you have to ride like this with NO expectations. The moment you feel like you're "wasting time" is the moment you destroyed an R&R ride. If the itch really get's to you, point your bike toward the trails and ride 'em. No biggie.

Not every ride has to have a reason. Sometimes I'll do this and at the end, have covered 40 miles of street, parks, alleys, urban and singletrack - burned a ton of calories and cleared my head. And I guess if you want to think in terms of accomplishments - I've done something that made my soul feel good - and that's what passion is all about.

Big John
    Sometimes when you're not in the mood to bike, forcing yourself into the saddle for a ride is the very best thing you can do. But then, sometimes a day or two off does you good. You're never too old, I met a guy after a MTB event one time who was 76. 76! And he finished the ride an hour before me, I was 28 then. Don't care what others think. I have tons of people who think I'm nuts for riding where I do, and that's fine. They will never understand that what the contents of a childproof little orange bottle with a white cap provides for them, cycling provides for me. I find that when I'm in a negative mood, riding is just the thing to knock me out of it. The only time I don't ride is when I'm pissed off at something to the point where I can't see straight, which isn't often.
    Road, mountain, commute, CX... who cares? Shut up and ride!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I want to go for a ride, despite it being in the 20's, windy, and snowing with 14" on the ground.

mtbr member
    It happens to me sometimes in the middle of summer. After working my ass off, balls to the wall week after week I lose the motivation to ride the same best half dozen trails after 11 years. I sleep in all weekend, I relish the veg time but feel really guilty at the end of the weekend. Wintertime is a great revitalization time for me. The work hours slow down, I take out the semi-fatbike and rekindle my love for just riding, even if the snow is barely rideable.

It's about showing up.

Meh.

Whatever.

Actually, yes. I just gave up my high school racing teams and that structure formed my riding for years. It got to the point where I was no longer enjoying it was a task and that's a shame. Now I'm not riding at all. I'll need to rediscover why I used to ride to begin with.

Today my wife came back from the dog park. She said its really nice out and asked if we could ride out by the Bay. She rarely does this so of course I'll do it. Who knows.

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Whatever.

Actually, yes. I just gave up my high school racing teams and that structure formed my riding for years. It got to the point where I was no longer enjoying it was a task and that's a shame.
    Same here with the school bike club. For 9 years, every Thursday no matter what. I did it because they needed me. Now they have all the adults they need & I only go if I feel like it.

I find I'm riding a lot more now. It used to be 2 hours every Thursday and maybe one weekend ride. Now I'm out almost every day and on Thursdays I'll put in 4 hours, 2 with the kids and a couple more to get to town and back home.

If you don't feel like you have to, it seems to be much more enjoyable.

I also use my bike for transportation. Rather than going to a trail and riding it for no reason (in my mind), I've managed to develop a trail system that will take me anywhere I want to go and keep me off the roads. I don't even consider that "riding", it's just "going somewhere"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    "i am 42 and feel uncomfortable out on my bike thinking other people are saying why doesnt he grow up."

This statement is exactly what drives me to keep doing it! It's so fun to see class mates and friends who are 50 lbs over-weight and I'm at the weight I graduated. Now, my 10 yr. old son is getting into and the keeps the fire going. One thing I do try to avoid is riding with people who are older but trying to act like they're kids. Just keep it fun and don't let the negative thoughts drag you down!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    After much thought and in depth analysis, I have devised this precise process for overcoming the problem you are having. It does, however, require you to pay complete attention.

Step 1: Log off.
    Step 2: Read step 3, and remember to do step 1.
    Step 3: Ride.

In all seriousness, if you don't feel like riding, then don't ride. Nothing can make a mood worse than riding when you don't feel like it. If you go on a ride, and would rather be sleeping, that will just make the situation 2x worse. You know, just because you don't feel like riding one day doesn't mean that you won't want to tomorrow.

If you want to keep the DOT brake fluid rushing through your veins, just get on the bike and ride around the block. Trust me, you won't lose the love you have for riding. I've gone a couple weeks without riding just because I didn't really feel like it. Breaks can be good every once and a while; your body will thank you for the rest.

If the weather is for shi-, then look at some big "Post your __________" threads on here. That's what I do and it keeps me pumped. Posting your bike and continuing to talk about it never hurts either

-Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    Try this: get on your bike and start pedalling. Ride through local parks, stop and chase the ducks, pet a friendly dog, stop at a coffee shop and grab a drink, bring a sandwich, bring a camera, bring your iPod or phone and listen to a podcast, hit a skatepark, ride down some stairs... just enjoy rolling in your environment. Sh*t... paint a watercolor!

But you have to ride like this with NO expectations. The moment you feel like you're "wasting time" is the moment you destroyed an R&R ride. If the itch really get's to you, point your bike toward the trails and ride 'em. No biggie.

Not every ride has to have a reason. Sometimes I'll do this and at the end, have covered 40 miles of street, parks, alleys, urban and singletrack - burned a ton of calories and cleared my head. And I guess if you want to think in terms of accomplishments - I've done something that made my soul feel good - and that's what passion is all about.
    I agree with Dion - I just got back from an hour of this kind of riding - it was awesome. No goals except to go for a little ride. I cut across town - through parks, neighborhoods, off curbs, little trails, through some rare snow here, etc. The first 20 minutes were kind of boring, things on my mind etc. The next 40 it got better and better. I just went out to see the world.

Or if this doesn't work, go do other things - find new outdoor adventures. By the way, I think this kind of feeling you are having happens to all of us at times.

All the best

PS - I'm past 50 now, remember feeling the same way in my early 40's. You'll get over that. There are two kinds of people from here on out in age. Those that are staying youthful and those that are "acting their age" and aging fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i appreciate this thread it made me go out for a nice 20 mile ride today. Sometimes its the feeling you get afterward that make the ride feel good.

My spelling is atroshus
    Many people in my circle are people that loathes bike riders, lycra, and everything else to do with biking. I am 43, and I ride because not only does it piss them off, but it's a fun and healthy activity.

mtbr member
    I had that feeling today. Very wish-wash.....do I want to ride or not......I didn't. I hung out with the kids instead. I get that way some times. My riding buddy and I will go hit the trails tomorrow though. I find it hard to get motivated to go by myself......guess I need more friends to ride with....Haha

mtbr member
    The best "advice" I have is this:

Negative thoughts actually require active thinking... Meaning, you have to "actually" think about **** in order for the negative thoughts to stay. If you simply DONT think, they'll go away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am 47, and have a road bike, an MTB, a 20" bmx racer and a 24" bmx racer. I change it up, riding one style for a while, then changing up whenever I want to do something different. I ride the road bike mostly with a "fitness" goal in mind, but the BMX and MTB rides are all about fun - that feeling of riding for the pure joy of going fast on a bike. Sometimes I ride till I am exhausted, but still hate to load the bikes and go home... But when none of the bikes get me excited, I canoe or hike....

If you dont feel like riding, you dont have to... but maybe you could do something else that will engage your mind and body - you might find that you enjoy that activity too!

Bollocks
    had the same feeling this morning after looking forward to riding all week. with a drastic change in life style for my wife and i [for the time being i'm a stay at home dad] my riding time has been cut by 75% [i have ridden once since the week before christmas]. i have been dying to go out and ride all week, looking forward to the weekend, despite the snow. this morning rolls around and i just can't be bothered... so this afternoon i pulled out the old fully rigid marin and headed off to some of the local multi purpose trails and just rode. i love the old bike, it sailed through the melting snow and ice. i stopped when i felt like it, sat on a bench in the sun, took some pictures, looked at my trail on my phone, talked to an old fella and his dog, said hello to some runners, watched the deer graze and when i got home i jumped in a hot shower with a cold beer. man am i glad i made the effort!

keep your chin up...

mtbr member
    DION Well said. I raced, and trained and trained and trained. Motorcycles. It's the same. Training was a job for me, not being paid but personal. Training was what started to be a chore, even though it always paid off. Still! was a sort of chore that had to be done.

Today I watched football, Ate like a pig, and loved it.

You hit the nail on the head. +1

OP. You can keep your rides for when your pumped! And only then.

CoolArrow
    Best advice in the forum, best I've seen in a long time.

I also grew up in the bmx era, just wandering and sessioning whatever we came across. The only goal in my head when I go out on the bike is to have fun. And I always accomplish this goal (except when something breaks ) so it feeds the desire to go again...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE
    Do you worry that you are losing interest if you are not in the mood to go out on your bike.Sometimes at the end of the week after being at work i actually feel less than enthusiastic about cycling and it bothers me.I suppose that it bothers me is a good thing because maybe i am just feeling off and thats it in a nutshell.Do you think too much ,isnt it boring............zzzzzzzzzzzz. .I do seem to get a thought that i am getting to old for this sometimes ,i am 42 and feel uncomfortable out on my bike thinking other people are saying why doesnt he grow up.Sad isnt it,feeling insecure at my age.I have been a pasionate cyclist all my life but sometimes life wears me down.Negative thinking can be so bad if you let it get the better of you but sometimes is it actually real or not.Please discuss.

There's a lot of good advice here and without wanting to get all "Dr. Phil" on you, it sounds a little like mild depression may be creeping in ("..but sometimes life wears me down.Negative thinking can be so bad if you let it get the better of you...").

You're not too old. It's not a matter of growing up - you're looking after your health by riding - are those you think are judging you looking after theirs?

Maybe your just tired, a little burnt out, or just over thinking. If you need to have a break, have one. Do something else, whatever other hobbies you have. If you think the problem is deeper than that, seek some advice. Chances are, after a little down time, you'll be champing at the bit to go riding again.
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

...Try this: get on your bike and start pedalling. Ride through local parks, stop and chase the ducks, pet a friendly dog, stop at a coffee shop and grab a drink, bring a sandwich, bring a camera, bring your iPod or phone and listen to a podcast, hit a skatepark, ride down some stairs... just enjoy rolling in your environment. Sh*t... paint a watercolor!
    [/I]
    I'm laughing and getting teary...words that resonate, because I live them. My work and responsibilities, my fears and regrets all melt away in the pure bliss of experiencing the world under my own power and at my own pace. I try to share with others how it can feel so amazing that I often just laugh out loud without any obvious cause. Your body is experiencing joy. I get some strange looks, sometimes nods with smiles, but overall unless I'm talking to bikers it is a puzzled bewilderment.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    I used to sometimes say "eh, I'll just take some time off from riding." Maybe I burned myself out on it from riding so much, so I'd take a break.

Now I have a kid and I'm regretting those breaks as missed time riding. Now that my opportunity to ride is so diminished, I'll ride any time I can. I'm thankful for that though - the trails and forest look a lot different in the fog at 30-ish degrees than in the summer at 75-100
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Seems like you are not alone in your situation. For me, I havent been hitting the trails the last few weeks but rather opting for a road ride as driving to the trailhead, dealing with the snow, and then having to clean my bike afterwards seems like to much of a bother. What didn't help is that on my last snow ride I went otb HARD and was pretty sure I snapped my collarbone. Turned out the only thing I broke was a hydraulic brake line but I have been wary of the snow ever since and have been hitting the road on my cross bike instead.

Be forewarned though, this is a slippery slope. Today I decided it was to cold for a road ride and spent 2 hrs spinning on my rollers. Still better than not riding at all I suppose.

mrr

Members who have read this thread: 0