mtbr member

Ever get the feeling you're being tracked?

Found these suspicious looking tracks at the start of my ride this morning. There were several in the immediate area. I always knew "they" were out there wathching me.... but seeing their tracks on the trail I'm riding is just kinda freaky.

It rained (and snowed higher up) about a week ago and apparently left the dirt just about perfect for paw impressions because the trail was full of them today. Deer, skunk, cat (mountain lion or bobcat), rabbit, Elmer Fudd (that's why I'm wearing the flo orange), and a couple more I couldn't identify. Beatiful day.

A couple images.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice day! The track in the photo is canine, but without scale to determine size, it's difficult to say if it is from a domestic dog or a coyote.

mtbr member
    This nearly impossible climb goes up for about 1-2 miles with 6 swithchbacks, two of which are so sharp as to be nearly impossible and keeps it up at a steady 15-18 % grade the whole way.... oh, and this is all at 7500-8000'. Aaargh. It always hurts. One day I'll climb the whole thing without stopping. Today there was about an inch of crusted, tracked up snow to really increase the resistance on parts of it..... so I did some hike-a-bike. Still a great climb.

When I got to the view point in the last pic I found out I was being tracked.... And they found me. The ER called with a patient of mine in alot of pain. Darn. Oh well. I beat a quick retreat instead of the long way down and was able to help out my patient and enjoyed another type of satisfaction. It's all good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

me like bikes
    Oct 2005

cool pics man

hey i like the pics, but its a bummer you to end early. oh well thats life i guess. man i'm glad there aren't bobcats here in indiana!!!!! i'm always afraid that i'm going to get attacked by one, but then i remember the only thing thats going to get me is a rabbit lol.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob

When I got to the view point in the last pic I found out I was being tracked.... And they found me. The ER called with a patient of mine in alot of pain. Darn. Oh well. I beat a quick retreat instead of the long way down and was able to help out my patient and enjoyed another type of satisfaction. It's all good.

That happened to me too yesterday. Had a patient with a recurrent corneal erosion go south on me. But that's price we pay for doing what we do. If we worked for someone else, we wouldn't be able to sneak away for midday rides.
    Astigmatic Visionary

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid
    hey i like the pics, but its a bummer you to end early. oh well thats life i guess. man i'm glad there aren't bobcats here in indiana!!!!! i'm always afraid that i'm going to get attacked by one, but then i remember the only thing thats going to get me is a rabbit lol.
    Do bobcats attack people?

There have been several mountain lion encounters here in AZ lately. Today on my ride in the desert hills I was making noise and looking behind me like some kinda of freak! Lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

To my knowledge there has never been a....

bobcat attack on a human being reported in North America. Primary reason is bobcats are pretty much nocturnal (most active at dawn and dusk) so humans and bobcats rarely bump into each other, also they are a very shy and wary animal, more inclined to go the other way. Plus they are quite small as wild felines go. The average male runs between 19 and 23 inches at the shoulder, 24 to 37 inches long, and weigh between 19 and 29 pounds. So they are about the size of a medium/small dog or a very large house cat. Primary prey are rabbits, birds, mice, rats, and other critters of that general size. Should primary prey be scarce, they have been known to hunt deer, but this is only in extreme situations, bobcats tend to not hunt or attack animals larger than they are unless they are starving or are cornered. When cornered or threatened the do fight ferociously and could do some damage, but it would be highly unlikely that an attack would be fatal as it would most likely be a defensive attack to protect young or itself. As for them not being in Indiana, think again! The bobcat ranges from Canada to the Mexican border. Their prefered habitat is forested areas or swamps, so you won't find them much in the plains states, but they are around.

I used to live in northern Michgan (almost 30 years) where bobcats are plenitiful. In that time I only saw 2 bobcats, one up a tree watching me as I walked by, and the other from a considerable distance with binoculars. Both were very early morning winter sittings while hunting squirrels.

Anyway, bottom line is, the chances of you even seeing a bobcat, let alone being attacked by one are EXTREMELY remote!!! You stand a better chance of being attacked by a stray dog, than you do even knowing that a bobcat is around. So don't sweat it!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimc
    Looks like a nice day! The track in the photo is canine, but without scale to determine size, it's difficult to say if it is from a domestic dog or a coyote.
    LOL. Now I feel silly. You mean I was being "tracked" by some tourist's house pet? It was about four to five inches across. Prolly too big to be a coyote, right? I'm thinking Clifford the big slobbering lab.

sunnyside up

Bobcats are commonly seen in California

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    bobcats are pretty much nocturnal (most active at dawn and dusk) so humans and bobcats rarely bump into each other, also they are a very shy and wary animal, more inclined to go the other way. Plus they are quite small as wild felines go. The average male runs between 19 and 23 inches at the shoulder, 24 to 37 inches long, and weigh between 19 and 29 pounds.

...Their prefered habitat is forested areas or swamps, so you won't find them much in the plains states, but they are around.

...Anyway, bottom line is, the chances of you even seeing a bobcat, let alone being attacked by one are EXTREMELY remote!!! You stand a better chance of being attacked by a stray dog, than you do even knowing that a bobcat is around. So don't sweat it!

Good Dirt
    I see bobcats several times a year here in California, usually during broad daylight. They are usually rather casual about humans, but tend to avoid being seen if they can crouch down in tall grass or slip behind a bush. I've had one lead me down a trail before. Dropped off a grassy bank onto the trail in front of me, and after it noticed I was there, it walked, trotted, then sorta loped off ahead of me. Then looked back to see if I was following (I was, at a polite distance). Then it kept going for a while and finally dropped off the trail and went downslope. Stopped to watch me go by.

I agree you are pretty much guaranteed not to be attacked by a bobcat unless maybe you were to approach a momma with kittens. They are just too small to tackle a human.

In California, they are often found in grassy and brushy habitats and oak woodlands where they can find birds, reptiles, insects, and small mammals to eat.

So, your mileage will vary on where you might see this really interesting wild cat. Look for very round tracks with very round toes, something a bit larger than the size of a silver dollar.

Patty
    "...So forget all your duties, oh yeah! Fat bottomed girls, they'll be riding today..." Freddie Mercury

mtbr member
    ... the chances of you even seeing a bobcat, let alone being attacked by one are EXTREMELY remote!!!
    True. I've lived here pretty much all my life, spent a lot of time out in the hills, and have only seen one...... and that one was crossing the highway in front of my car. There's plenty of them around though. Very cool animal. In fact it's our High School mascot.

I've never seen a mountain lion in the wild either, but I've got a couple of friends that hunt them... so I know they're out there. And eventhough there's only been one reported attack on humans in Nevada in the past 10 years (down by the test site near Mercury), I do worry about them a bit sometimes when I'm out by myself (normal for me) near dawn or dusk (also normal for me), panting like a wounded animal suffering up some stupidly steep climb (par for the course as well ).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    That happened to me too yesterday. Had a patient with a recurrent corneal erosion go south on me. But that's price we pay for doing what we do. If we worked for someone else, we wouldn't be able to sneak away for midday rides.
    True. It's very rewarding to be able to help someone when they need you. This one had IOP of 50mmHG three days post scleral buckling procedure for a retinal detachment. I was glad he was at the ER though because they got to sit with him while we were waiting for the drops to bring his pressure down and I came back in an hour and a half and got to be the hero.

Yes, it is very nice to be able to get away to ride.

mtbr Decade+

They DO attack...

bobcat attack on a human being reported in North America. Primary reason is bobcats are pretty much nocturnal (most active at dawn and dusk) so humans and bobcats rarely bump into each other, also they are a very shy and wary animal, more inclined to go the other way. Plus they are quite small as wild felines go. The average male runs between 19 and 23 inches at the shoulder, 24 to 37 inches long, and weigh between 19 and 29 pounds. So they are about the size of a medium/small dog or a very large house cat. Primary prey are rabbits, birds, mice, rats, and other critters of that general size. Should primary prey be scarce, they have been known to hunt deer, but this is only in extreme situations, bobcats tend to not hunt or attack animals larger than they are unless they are starving or are cornered. When cornered or threatened the do fight ferociously and could do some damage, but it would be highly unlikely that an attack would be fatal as it would most likely be a defensive attack to protect young or itself. As for them not being in Indiana, think again! The bobcat ranges from Canada to the Mexican border. Their prefered habitat is forested areas or swamps, so you won't find them much in the plains states, but they are around.

I used to live in northern Michgan (almost 30 years) where bobcats are plenitiful. In that time I only saw 2 bobcats, one up a tree watching me as I walked by, and the other from a considerable distance with binoculars. Both were very early morning winter sittings while hunting squirrels.

Anyway, bottom line is, the chances of you even seeing a bobcat, let alone being attacked by one are EXTREMELY remote!!! You stand a better chance of being attacked by a stray dog, than you do even knowing that a bobcat is around. So don't sweat it!

Good Dirt
    Recently in Northern Ontario a woman went out to fetch kitty who was making strange noises. I guess a bobcat had kitty lined up for brunch! The woman picked up her kitty and subsequently was attacked! Moral of story: Do not stop to pick up any of the bobcat's prey. No squirrels for snack time!

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbyknees
    I see bobcats several times a year here in California, usually during broad daylight. They are usually rather casual about humans, but tend to avoid being seen if they can crouch down in tall grass or slip behind a bush. I've had one lead me down a trail before. Dropped off a grassy bank onto the trail in front of me, and after it noticed I was there, it walked, trotted, then sorta loped off ahead of me. Then looked back to see if I was following (I was, at a polite distance). Then it kept going for a while and finally dropped off the trail and went downslope. Stopped to watch me go by.

I agree you are pretty much guaranteed not to be attacked by a bobcat unless maybe you were to approach a momma with kittens. They are just too small to tackle a human.

In California, they are often found in grassy and brushy habitats and oak woodlands where they can find birds, reptiles, insects, and small mammals to eat.

So, your mileage will vary on where you might see this really interesting wild cat. Look for very round tracks with very round toes, something a bit larger than the size of a silver dollar.

Patty

i was going to say...

i've only seen a couple of bobcats but they were mid-day in a fairly busy park. one was running up the trail i was just cresting, it saw me then jumped off the trail into some bushes. the last time it was in the middle of a field, sitting on a rock and watched me the whole time as the trail went around the field. they may be small, and i'ld probably survive an attack but i'm sure i'ld be hurtin'. heck my housecat can hurt people, let alone a bobcat.
    will you rep me?

Members who have read this thread: 0