Bro
    Content from my avatar

Even the road bike is acceptable

So, I am now allowed to ride my road bike, three months after a knee surgery to repair cartilage. And I'm only allowed to ride on flat areas. For those of you who don't know, the Bay Area is kinda hilly, especially on the coast... So I've been riding the most boring circuits imaginable, down the street, back up... down the street, back up.... one lap of down-and-back is a little over 4 miles, slightly downhill down, then slightly uphill back.

Last time, I managed 8.5 miles in 33 minutes. Even for it being only my second ride in three months, I managed to increase my average speed by about 0.7 MPH from my first ride half a week prior. But that's not the point.

Those were the most boring, most grueling, 8 miles I've ever ridden... But they they were the best 8 miles I've ever ridden, too. Dammit, I'm just happy to be riding a bike again.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Congrats! Ya road bikes are certainly boring to ride lol. Thats why I switched to mountain.. I appreciate the team aspect of road cycling in a real race scenario, but just riding it around is boring as hell.

I hope you heal up sooner and better then ever.
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper -- STOLEN! *cry*
    09 Stout SE(Its like your sister, cheap and fun)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am no expert but I would ride the roads on a mountain bike going up the hills in the granny gears. Road bikes don't have that 3rd small chain ring.

local jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by maxforce
    I am no expert but I would ride the roads on a mountain bike going up the hills in the granny gears. Road bikes don't have that 3rd small chain ring.
    Yes they do just depends on the setup you have. This is a very uneducated statement!
    Granny ring road bike
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...01&scname=Road

OP congrats man!!
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maxforce

Some road bikes come already equipped with triple cranksets.Congrats to the O.P.

Ride.
    Jan 2011
    OH Man do I know how you feel!!!!!! I have been through a reconstruction on one side and an acl / meniscus arthroscopic repair on the other. The first rides regardless of what bike or where are absolutely great(although sometimes painful)!

mtbr member
    I personally enjoy riding my road bike...not as much as my mountain bike, but it's nice to change things up sometimes. It's also nice to just ride right out my front door instead of having to put the bike on the rack and drive to the trail head.

Congrats OP, once you get used to the road bike it's not enjoyable.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    I personally enjoy riding my road bike...not as much as my mountain bike, but it's nice to change things up sometimes. It's also nice to just ride right out my front door instead of having to put the bike on the rack and drive to the trail head.

Congrats OP, once you get used to the road bike it's not enjoyable.

Changing things up and leaving from the front door IS nice! However, I like riding my other mountain bike (HT) when I go on these rides as I don't have a road bike, there are off road trails scattered throughout my town, and I can't help but jump off a couple of curbs here and there. I like to sit and spin, but also like being able to ride aggressively on variable pavement, sidewalks, grass, dirt, etc.... I do remember liking how fast I could ride on my old road bike, though!

Ryan

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    So, I am now allowed to ride my road bike, three months after a knee surgery to repair cartilage....

Those were the most boring, most grueling, 8 miles I've ever ridden... But they they were the best 8 miles I've ever ridden, too. Dammit, I'm just happy to be riding a bike again.
    Hang in there and be thankful you can even ride. A coworker of mine got hit by a car six months ago. Ten fused vertebrae, a surgically repaired pelvis that was broken in two places, and a shattered ankle likely mean he will never ride again. You may not be riding where you would MOST like, but at least your riding.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    I've been where you are! Three months to the day of the surgery to repair a very broken leg, my orthopedist (who is also a cyclist) gave me the green light to go on easy rides. It sucked not being in the shape I was in prior to the accident, but it was great just being on my bikes again, even if it was just on a beach path while my legs got their strenght back. Speedy recovery, OP!
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Congratulations on getting back on the bike.

Francois posted a funny graphic here a while back from some dude who pedaled 100 miles just in Foster City. It's pretty much dead flat.

The Coyote Creek bike trail down by San Jose is fairly flat, and not bad scenery.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Congratulations on getting back on the bike.

Francois posted a funny graphic here a while back from some dude who pedaled 100 miles just in Foster City. It's pretty much dead flat.

The Coyote Creek bike trail down by San Jose is fairly flat, and not bad scenery.
    I saw that map, seems like something I would do if I was bored one day. I'm up in Pacifica, so commuting for a flat trail just ain't my style.

Thanks for the support, peoples.

I had a talk with my physical therapist the other day. I'm allowed to ride the road bike on hills again, but still no mtb'ing for a few months yet. She also said, (and I quote) "If you run at all before I say so, I'll have your head on a platter." I'm not allowed to do anything with impact; I hope that graded trail I went on today was okay. The knee feels fine, at any rate.

I got in my third ride today! I've also recently encountered some unnecessary, stupid stress in life too, so the riding definitely helps there. It was the mid-afternoon, so it was freezing and cold and rainy and windy. I got to the other side of town, and the crosswinds and headwinds nearly knocked me back and sideways at the same time. I also got to climb a short hill that I usually have no trouble with... Well, I was in my smallest gear ratio (34/25, I think?), and I still had trouble with it. The strength will come back though. On the other hand, my cardio is getting better so I'm actually able to clear the hills.

This whole riding again thing just keeps getting better and better!
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Glad you're at least partially back in the saddle.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

Members who have read this thread: 0