mtbr member

Epic Ride Passion, in the largest sense of the word

We recently interviewed Erik Schlimmer , who just completed the 2,640-mile Western States Mountain Bike Route.

I can't imagine riding even 200 miles, nevermind 1000. So I was just wondering-- how many of you guys/girls out there have been on a 1000-mile ride? Give or take a few miles? How many people are planning a ride that long, or longer?

--Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    hell no!

yeah, uh............bikes
    WOW, great article. After only riding for ~2 years I wouldn't dream of a ride that long, but it's definately intriguing.

one question i would have asked........How many mech. problems did you have? I'm kinda prone to breaking stuff, so that would be my main worry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    WOW, great article. After only riding for ~2 years I wouldn't dream of a ride that long, but it's definately intriguing.

one question i would have asked........How many mech. problems did you have? I'm kinda prone to breaking stuff, so that would be my main worry.
    Thanks, I've been riding for 13 years, and I STILL don't think I'll ever go on a ride for more than 200 miles, nevermind 2000! I was suprised that was so little response to this thread, but when I think about it, I guess very few people are out there saying "Man, I can't wait until the next time I get to spend 10 days in a row, 100 miles a day, riding and camping, and carrying all that s#!t!"

Edit: And you're right about the mech probs, can't believe we didn't ask that! :-(
    Last edited by wandr; 11-15-2005 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EtE
    Thanks, I've been riding for 13 years, and I STILL don't think I'll ever go on a ride for more than 200 miles, nevermind 2000! I was suprised that was so little response to this thread, but when I think about it, I guess very few people are out there saying "Man, I can't wait until the next time I get to spend 10 days in a row, 100 miles a day, riding and camping, and carrying all that s#!t!"

Edit: And you're right about the mech probs, can't believe we didn't ask that! :-(
    I think it would be kind of fun... with a few changed circumstances.

First, fully supported. I don't want to carry all that gear every day. I suppose a couple of days, carrying light gear between accessable support points would be OK, but not for the whole trip.

Second, 100 miles a day off road would be too much for me. I'm sure I could get my legs and lungs in shape to handle that, but I'm not sure my butt would!

A 30 day trip where you could do anywhere from 35 to 50 miles a day seems much more appealing to me.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    I think it would be kind of fun... with a few changed circumstances.

First, fully supported. I don't want to carry all that gear every day. I suppose a couple of days, carrying light gear between accessable support points would be OK, but not for the whole trip.

Second, 100 miles a day off road would be too much for me. I'm sure I could get my legs and lungs in shape to handle that, but I'm not sure my butt would!

A 30 day trip where you could do anywhere from 35 to 50 miles a day seems much more appealing to me.
    It sounded like he didn't have to carry too much weight, I think it said 17 pounds for non-foood/water. The article also said that he stopped to get shipments of food? from his wife/gf every few days too.

Fahrrad fahren

Established?

That is an awesome ride, and he deserves kudos for accomplishing it. The longest bike tour I've done was only about 500 miles, with only 150 off road and that on an easy towpath.

But, I just don't get where anything was established. He linked together several existing venues and had a great adventure. Should this be "The Western States Mountain Bike Route?" Why the horn tooting? I once kayaked from Lake Ontario, along the Erie Canal and Hudson River to the Intercostal Waterway, the Delaware-Chesapeake Canal, and the Chesapeake Bay to Annapolis, MD. Did I "Establish" a new kayaking route, or just take a boat trip. Maybe If I mark up a couple of maps with the route and hawk them on the internet, it will mean I established something. Why detract from a considerable accomplishment by hyping it into something it isn't?

Particularly grumpy today, aren't I?
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

Scott in Tucson

Schlimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalti

But, I just don't get where anything was established. He linked together several existing venues and had a great adventure. Should this be "The Western States Mountain Bike Route?" Why the horn tooting? I once kayaked from Lake Ontario, along the Erie Canal and Hudson River to the Intercostal Waterway, the Delaware-Chesapeake Canal, and the Chesapeake Bay to Annapolis, MD. Did I "Establish" a new kayaking route, or just take a boat trip. Maybe If I mark up a couple of maps with the route and hawk them on the internet, it will mean I established something. Why detract from a considerable accomplishment by hyping it into something it isn't?

Particularly grumpy today, aren't I?
    I don't think you're grumpy. I agree completely. Schlimmer did a nice offroad tour for himself, but ground-breaking? No. Established a new route? No.

As you said, he combined 1000 miles of the Great Divide Route, ~800 on the Arizona Trail and then his own route inbetween, which he made up as he went along through Wyoming and Utah. So most of his "new route" is on existing trails!

It's kind of funny that he claims to be the first and only person to ride the "Western States Mountain Bike Route." He was the first person to ride a route he made up? Impressive.

I don't care for the horn tooting either.

Members who have read this thread: 0