mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Epic Fail and the Incredible Comeback!

Everyone has had one of these. You reach beyond your talents, skills or fitness will allow and KABOOM! Epic Fail! It might be a big jump, a risky trick, a huge race or endurance event. Whatever it was, it became the toughest lesson of your riding at that time.

But it was a lesson. You learned from it. You recovered, trained, worked yourself into shape and eventually had the incredible comeback!

What is your story? Inspire us.
    MTB Reviews and Opinions: Secret Stash

Bandolero

Black Heart Inertia

Quote Originally Posted by bogdogs
    Everyone has had one of these. You reach beyond your talents, skills or fitness will allow and KABOOM! Epic Fail! It might be a big jump, a risky trick, a huge race or endurance event. Whatever it was, it became the toughest lesson of your riding at that time.

But it was a lesson. You learned from it. You recovered, trained, worked yourself into shape and eventually had the incredible comeback!

What is your story? Inspire us.
    Gravity, momentum and finally inertia conspire to thwart me in my pursuit of happiness.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My first adventure race ever.... which was also the first time i'd really ridden a bike since I was about 10.... I was struggling to get to the top of the first climb. It was about 2 miles long and a decent grade. But I still had 23 miles to go from the top. I borrowed a bike that had clipless and I couldn't figure out how to get out of the pedals so I fell over several times from pure exhaustion. A couple times several feet down a dune. Needless to say I didn't finish the bike portion of the race. Now I can at least keep up with people when riding in groups. I'm doing my first mtb race in may after the big thaw out.

By the way notaknob, I'm making my first brew tomorrow.
    Life is all about knowing how to be lucky

mtbr member
    Not sure if this quite goes with the thread, but here's a fail with an instant comeback.

Night riding alone on a local trail. Cruising along enjoying the ride and as I came around a corner there was a HUGE spider in the middle of the trail on web at eye level.

I have about 3 years mountain biking experience and around 15 years dirt bike experience. My dirt bike instincts kicked in and I reached for the clutch. Well, it turned out that the left lever was actually a front brake

The front wheel locked up and I started to endo. I came up off the seat, somehow my knee hit the front tire, and my thighs the bars hard enough to leave a couple very large bruises.

Somehow I saved it though and rode it out

mtbr member
    It may not be much, but it seems like it to me.

Back in September I wasn't able to ride the entire length (5.5 miles) of what is now my favorite trail without taking a 10 minute rest break on a log about halfway through. I was pushing my bike through the whoop-de-doos and up most of the climbs. I couldn't even make it throught the one (teeny tiny itsy bitsy) rock garden or over the one small log. Now I'm not only riding it all the way through, I'm rolling the rollers at ~20 mph and that's after riding nearly 15 miles of other trails first. The final goal is to be able to table-top the one extra high, extra narrow whoop-de-do and then I will own that trail. I'll pay for the new signage.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

High Desert MTBer
    Not me, but riding with me. I was out at Bass lake CA. on a day off from a tour, and met a couple of locals who were showing me the trails around the lake. We climbed up to the weather station, and were on our way back down when we hit some tight rocky singletrack. One of the locals, showing off, took off at speed and hit a rock almost immediately that threw him over the bars, and over the edge of the steep slope next to the trail into the trees. We were convinced he would be messy toast, but when we got to the edge and looked over, he was perched in the branches of a pine tree about 15' below. The fail was epic, but the recovery was epic-er! Took a while to get him back, but he was unharmed...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It was my first Downhill Race and it was nerve wracking. I had only been riding DH for two months but never tackled anything this technical. On the first three practice runs I crashed. Once was washout in a rock garden, once I hit a tree and once the seat caught me in the gut on a roll down. The third happened right in front of a course marshal, very embarrassing.

That night in my tent I had nightmares about running this course. During my practice run the next day I hit the same tree, again.

When it came my time to race, I went for it. The path became a blur of rocks and trees. I pedaled hard, jumped steadily and nailed it. My time was only fifty seconds slower than the fastest run of the day.
    MTB Reviews and Opinions: Secret Stash

Members who have read this thread: 0