Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005

End of an era...

After over 17 years of service, my Deuter pack finally gave out.

What once was a shiny red pack, bought for me by my wife when we first starting dating became a faded pink, grubby old pack. Despite that, it always stayed true. It has been through several bladders in its time.

Well, yesterday I was feeling alright after a ride and took a detour on the way home to explore a side track where the pack got snagged on an overhanging branch that I didn't duck far enough for. The UV weakened fabric tore the main compartment open. There is no fixing it - well, it could be fixed with a big patch and whole heap of stitching I guess...

Shame, because despite it's looks, the air-back is in perfect order as are the straps. The bungees are a bit stiff and one of the hooks for the hose snapped.

There is some merit is repairing it with a canvas section and seeing if I can get another decade out of it but maybe, it's time to hang it up knowing that it's the most loved and well used pack in Australia, if not the world.

Stats: I've had it for 17 years. It has done 10 x 24hr races (6 of those solo), 6 x 12hr races, 3 x 100km races. It's been to New Zealand. All up it would have done over 100,000km.

It's like a part of my identity has been taken from me. Despite dozens of bikes that nobody could keep track of, the constant was that faded red pack.

Time to find a new friend. It will also be a Deuter with the air back system. Circle of life and all that crap.

So long old girl, thanks for errr... having my back all this time.

End of an era...-img_1927.jpg

Grumps

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    End of an era...-2562c270-5623-470d-83f0-8dc70313774d.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I hate it when Iíve completely worn out a piece of gear, because no matter how close in style and function the replacement may be, itís not the same.

So long, pack...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    I have a Pearl Izumi Fat Tire Ale jersey that I bought in 1999 and am still wearing regularly. I did have to have it sewed up once.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i sold my first mtb on the weekend. wasnt a high end bit of kit by any means (acera running gear, mozo pro fork) but had seen me down many trails since 98, later serving as a commuter, trailer and baby seat rig but not been ridden much in 3 years, sitting in the garage behind my roadie. $40 and its gone. almost crashed car into shelving today. saddle on that bike was always my reference point for parking
    Last edited by tubby74; 6 Days Ago at 06:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    I hate it when Iíve completely worn out a piece of gear, because no matter how close in style and function the replacement may be, itís not the same.

So long, pack...
    This exactly. I hate it when a great piece of gear or component gives up the ghost. My Koobi silver saddle died a few years back and trying to find a suitable replacement has been challanging since Koobi has been out of business for many years. I've tried a few others and none have really wowed me.
    Change begins by doing something different.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post

So long, pack...
    At risk of sounding like an ad for Deuter - I went out and bought a Race Exp Air. I'm a fan of their air-comfort mesh back.

I did a search for the same pack as my old one - even though it hasn't been made for like 15 years - I thought if there is one for sale in the back corner of some store in western Mongolia or the high country of Argentina - I'm buying it. No such luck.

The new pack does have some improvements and I hope I get a good 15+ years out of it but it's not the same.

The new pack is a Christmess present from my folks (they give me money to buy something I need) so I've patched old faithful with gaffer tape for the next few weeks. Kind of seems wrong to do that, a bit undignified or something - so I might buy myself something else to swap for the pack and put the new one into service.

Meh, first world problems at the end of the day.

Grumps

mtbr member
    looks like you never washed it

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    looks like you never washed it
    It would have disintegrated. The dirt held it together all those years.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I'm sorry for your loss, but I think I can smell that thing from here...