Thread: East vs. West

mtbr member

East vs. West

I was in Norcal in early October. I rode my cousin’s bike to a local coffee shop. Not a Starbucks, just your generic Northern California East Bay coffee shop.

I got in line for coffee. This should have told me something was wrong. I usually get my coffee form a Middle-Eastern gentleman on the street in New York City. What the Hell is a line?

The first person waiting at the counter, who had waited patiently to be served, asked for a Latte. The next person, who waited just as patiently, asked for an Espresso when their turn at the counter arrived. The person behind that, yet another person waiting patiently to be served, showed that they were truly a manly man and asked for a Double Espresso.

A DOUBLE ESPRESSO! Lord, I thought, a real risk taker.

Than it was my turn. I did not wait patiently. Patience is not a virtue of the eastern coffee drinker. I asked for a small black coffee. The person behind the counter looked at me as if I had two heads. I looked at my reflection in the counter to see if I had two heads. After confirming that, indeed, I only had one head, I again asked for coffee. I noticed an audible murmur from the people waiting patiently behind me.

Just to be sure I did not miss anything, I again checked my reflection in the counter. Perhaps my fly was open? It was not. I was glad it was not. It did not seem to matter that it was not.

With great hesitation, the server appeared to comprehend my request and I was brought a small cup of hot black liquid. I soon saw what had caused such consternation. Nowhere on the menu was coffee listed. You just did not order coffee in Norcal. Maybe I should have ordered a Latte without milk? I still do not know how to order coffee in Norcal.

Which brings me to another observation. I have found the real reason for the high cost of housing in Norcal. Inefficiency! Inefficiency with a capital “I” people.

When I approached a crosswalk, I looked both ways and seeing no cars close enough to hit me, I crossed. The streetlight said “Don’t Walk.” The natives of Norcal waited patiently for the streetlight to say, “Walk.” When it did, they walked. In New York City, streetlights are merely a suggestion.

When in San Francisco, TurboB!tch (you people remember TurboB!tch from other stories, don’t you?) and I crossed the street when we felt like it, not when the authorities told us it was safe. Once, a man followed us, looked up at the “Don’t Walk” sign after he was halfway across and immediately turned around and ran back to the curb. I would have found this quite amusing if it did not have such a negative effect on the economic climate of Northern California.
    I was told that Germans, too, wait for the sign to read, “Walk.” Germans also try to take over the world periodically.

I can only conclude that the reason housing costs so much in Norcal is that people spend inordinate amounts of time waiting to cross the street and ordering coffee. Time is money, as the saying goes (not that I know who really came up with that saying – I can not trace it to the Bible or Shakespeare who seem to have come up with almost every other saying other than the few sayings credited to Forrest Gump).

If people in Norcal were less patient they would be more productive. Greater productivity would lead to lower housing costs.

It is really that simple.

Peace
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 11-18-2005 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    LOL, funny story Bubba!

It's a Turner!
    Man that's funny. Now if only if that only were true of East v West mtn bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    I was in Norcal in early October. I rode my cousin’s bike to a local coffee shop. Not a Starbucks, just your generic Northern California East Bay coffee shop.

I got in line for coffee. This should have told me something was wrong. I usually get my coffee form a Middle-Eastern gentleman on the street in New York City. What the Hell is a line?

The first person waiting at the counter, who had waited patiently to be served, asked for a Latte. The next person, who waited just as patiently, asked for an Espresso when their turn at the counter arrived. The person behind that, yet another person waiting patiently to be served, showed that they were truly a manly man and asked for a Double Espresso.

A DOUBLE ESPRESSO! Lord, I thought, a real risk taker.

Than it was my turn. I did not wait patiently. Patients is not a virtue of the eastern coffee drinker. I asked for a small black coffee. The person behind the counter looked at me as if I had two heads. I looked at my reflection in the counter to see if I had two heads. After confirming that, indeed, I only had one head, I again asked for coffee. I noticed an audible murmur from the people waiting patiently behind me.

Just to be sure I did not miss anything, I again checked my reflection in the counter. Perhaps my fly was open? It was not. I was glad it was not. It did not seem to matter that it was not.

With great hesitation, the server appeared to comprehend my request and I was brought a small cup of hot black liquid. I soon saw what had caused such consternation. Nowhere on the menu was coffee listed. You just did not order coffee in Norcal. Maybe I should have ordered a Latte without milk? I still do not know how to order coffee in Norcal.

Which all brings me to another observation. I have found the real reason for the high cost of housing in Norcal. Inefficiency! Inefficiency with a capital “I” people.

When I approached a crosswalk, I looked both ways and seeing no cars close enough to hit me, I crossed. The streetlight said “Don’t Walk.” The natives of Norcal waited patiently for the streetlight to say, “Walk.” When it did, they walked. In New York City, streetlights are merely a suggestion.

When in San Francisco, TurboB!tch (you people remember TurboB!tch from other stories, don’t you?) and I crossed the street when we felt like it, not when the authorities told us it was safe. Once, a man followed us, looked up at the “Don’t Walk” sign after he was halfway across and immediately turned around and ran back to the curb. I would have found this quite amusing if it did not have such a negative effect on the economic climate of Northern California.
    I was told that Germans, too, wait for the sign to read, “Walk.” Germans also try to take over the world periodically.

I can only conclude that the reason housing costs so much in Norcal is that people spend inordinate amounts of time waiting to cross the street and ordering coffee. Time is money, as the saying goes (not that I know who really came up with that saying – I can not trace it to the Bible or Shakespeare who seem to have come up with almost every other saying other than the few sayings credited to Forrest Gump).

If people in Norcal were less patient they would be more productive. Greater productivity would lead to lower housing costs.

Peace
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

innefficiency

I thought it odd the first time I was in Hollywood as a wee little lad and saw everybody waiting at the corsswalk. Then, somebody, probably a New Yorker, decided not to wait and promptly strolled through the intersection. Two seconds later, one of LA's finest was issuing a jaywalking citation............first time I ever heard of that law being enforced!

FWIW, I don't drink coffee but will have the occasional cup of hot chocholate if I"m with friends at a coffee house. you think it was hard to order just COFFEE! Try ordering a small hot chocholate when nothing SMALL or anything called Hot Chocholate is even on the focking menu!

Um. Yeah, could I get, like a small cup of hot chocholate?

you mean Venti?

Um, well, if that's small, then I guess so.

It's smaller than Grande.

is Venti the "smallest" container

you have to hold the drink?

Yes

Then that would be a small.

YR

YR

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    "Germans also try to take over the world periodically."

hahahaha so true, great story

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I asked for a small black coffee.
    You should have asked for a "short drip" - you probably would have gotten what you wanted.

I had similar issues when I lived in the Seattle area a few years ago. I learned to hate green aprons. I can tell you a horror story when one of them crossed an order and I got a latte with soy milk - which was as tastey to drink as sucking barf through a straw.

Sometimes I just was to ask for "coffee without all that other sh!it in it".
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 11-18-2005 at 09:57 AM.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    In Seattle, it seems that the words 'short', 'tall', 'grande', & 'venti' are just part of normal vocabulary and you can ask for any of those in any coffee shop. I was attending a wedding in San Diego and we stopped at the closest coffee shop to the old Mission where the wedding was held. Being groggy from the night before I just fell into routine and asked for a tall coffee......oops....as the guy behind the counter glared at me as if I'd just skinned a baby I saw the "Friends don't let friends drink Starbucks" sign hanging above the cash register and the menu listing 'small', 'medium', and 'large' in bold, 72 point font. Then he said something to the effect of, "I don't know what you're talking about" with a strong hint of 'smartassness'....so I tried again...."Can I have a MEDIUM sized cup of coffee please?" Then I watched to make sure coffee was the only thing that went in the cup. That guy needs a bike.

As an aside, you know you're in Seattle when you see people without umbrellas standing in the rain on a street corner with no traffic, waiting for the signal to change to 'WALK'. We're weird here.

mtbr member
    Ahhhhhhhhhh HA HA HA! This is awesome Rev, thanks for sharing.

Speaking of the crosswalks, I was in SoCal (Santa Barbara) last November, and I stopped at a Barnes & Noble for a book on hiking trails in the vicinity. When I had my book, I left the store and was on my way back to my car when I did something that no one in their right MIND would do! I CROSSED THE STREET! I wasn't near a crosswalk, and the people that were at the crosswalk were patiently waiting for the walk signal. But there wasn't a moving car within a half mile in any direction.

Don't think for a SECOND that I wasn't PULLED OVER (while WALKING!!) within 30 seconds of reaching the other side, by a Santa Barbara cop, who took my license, and then proceeded to grill me about "What? There aren't crosswalks or signals in New Jersey?"

My honest-to-God response?

"None that people will sit and wait for when it's obvious the coast is clear."

It was almost like he didn't believe me, no kidding. No ticket either, but I'm still in shock about the whole thing. The way this guys tone was with me, you'd would think I was shootin' babies, no ifs, ands, or maybes.
    Last edited by wandr; 11-18-2005 at 10:14 AM.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I was in Oakland a few years ago, taking care of my nephews while my sister was in Italy. I went to the Peet's on Grand Ave ( I think) and ordered a vanilla latte. This is my standard that I can get no questions asked up here on the Idaho border. I was told by a very snotty barrista that "we dont' do flavors, it ruins the coffee". Oh, puh-leese.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman
    In Seattle, it seems that the words 'short', 'tall', 'grande', & 'venti' are just part of normal vocabulary and you can ask for any of those in any coffee shop.
    I make it a point of pride to always order S/M/L/XL when getting coffee, no matter where I am or what store I'm in. Anybody gives me lip about not ordering tall/venti/grande, I look around and ask if we've been magically transported to italy.

P.S.: Starbucks makes really crappy coffee - tastes like it was scraped out of a hiking boot. There's more to a good, strong cup of coffee than bitterness and acidity...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    As an aside, you know you're in Seattle when you see people without umbrellas standing in the rain on a street corner with no traffic, waiting for the signal to change to 'WALK'. We're weird here.
    When you ask for directions in Seattle they will give distances in Starbucks. "Walk 4 Starbucks and make a left."
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    When you ask for directions in Seattle they will give distances in Starbucks. "Walk 4 Starbucks and make a left."
    Those directions would be for something 2 blocks away!

Samsonite Tester
    The X-walk thing gets me the weirdest looks. I'll walk to the median half way across and have people on either side yell "What the hell you doing?" . Me " X-ing the street . What you doing here? "

There was a day when there would be a x-walk button in the medians. The half across walk against the singal, used to be leagal in x-walks. Who knows these days ?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm pretty much a straight up plain the way John Wayne would only drink it coffee drinker.I like my coffee the way I like my women- now jus hold on with your thoughts. I love women. Anyway, I was in Mammoth Lakes last summer for a week, and no shop employees thought I was supposed to have my coffee dressed up. No, "dressed up" ain't got nuthin' to do with the coffee and women above. It might just be one of them regional things with the coffee. I saw 'em go out the door in all varieties while in Mammoth Lakes, CA. gotta git me one of them friends don't let friends drink Stabuck stickers. They been out fer some time here.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    P.S.: Starbucks makes really crappy coffee - tastes like it was scraped out of a hiking boot. There's more to a good, strong cup of coffee than bitterness and acidity...
    The worst. A good friend of mine has a name for them, which I have adopted...Charbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Incidentally, in Rhode Island you can replace "Starbucks" with "Dunkin Donuts". There's one about every three blocks.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member

don't forget smell and taste are interrelated

I usually get my coffee . . . on the street in New York City.
    Coffee's just not the same without that week-old-urine-on-pavement smell to complete the flavor.

taxi mechanic
    in california south i order dark roasted coffee and no strange look for this. i see many order strange long names coffee and am smiling because funny.

mtbr member
    The coffee world has absolutely gotten far to complicated... ten years ago you were just plain happy to walk in any gas station and poor yourself some from a pot that was brewed god knows when and be done with it...

Now I just say large black coffee... I let them determine if that means tall or short. Hell, I am short yet somehow still large. And if they ask how I want it I tell them - IN A CUP geez

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank God for Peets -- their lines are usually much shorter because theres no "Cinnamon Roll Double Caramel Frappuccino" types there.

The barista was 100% spot-on. Peets beans are truly high-quality, unlike the stuff at Starbucks. It's like making a margarita out of Cuervo Reserva de Familia, or a spritzer with Dom Perignon.

I live in NorCal and can assure you that yes, we drink plenty of regular, black coffee here.

As for crosswalks, Id say the main problem in CA is drivers not stopping for peds in non-light controlled crosswalks. Santa Cruz PD ran a sting a few months ago using "decoy walkers," pulling over drivers who didnt stop after the walker started in the crosswalk. It was amazing how many drivers claimed not to know they were required to stop in that instance.
    Last edited by Reposado Man; 11-18-2005 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    This is why I don't drink coffee. Actually getting what you want is too darn complecated.

dead weight
    Dec 2003

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Here, here......

Thank gawd for Peet's! Starfux sucks ass, all the ass.
    I've lived in Central Cal., on the coast for 34 years. Crosswalks??? Nevermind em', never
    been ticketed, what are you New Yooooookers talkin' bout?

Medium?
    Starbucks makes really crappy coffee - tastes like it was scraped out of a hiking boot. There's more to a good, strong cup of coffee than bitterness and acidity...
    That's corporate policy. Next time you come in you'll order a $3 something. The secret is the "Americano". It's a quarter more than coffee, but tastes similar to a cup of Peets Italian Roast.

I heard their profits were up 20% last quarter.

Medium?

My fave Seattle/Starbucks story

We were in Seattle on business, staying at a downtown Marriot. We asked at the desk for a restaurant recommendation and the clerk brought out a map of the neighborhood. When I jokingly said, "Ha ha, look at all the Starbucks", (they obviously sponsored the map, with their green logo on seemingly every corner in town) the clerk, with a straight face and slight excitement replied, "Oh, those are just the big ones!"

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reposado Man
    Thank God for Peets -- their lines are usually much shorter because theres no "Cinnamon Roll Double Caramel Frappuccino" types there.

The barista was 100% spot-on. Peets beans are truly high-quality, unlike the stuff at Starbucks. It's like making a margarita out of Cuervo Reserva de Familia, or a spritzer with Dom Perignon.

I live in NorCal a
    Just because I like a little flavor in my latte, doesnt mean I get coffee at Starbucks, hate the place actually. I like my little locally owned espresso drivethru - Time Out.

~f.

Village Dirtbag
    I'm origninally from the northwest, and you're right about the Starbucks density. There is a plaza near my mom's house that has two in the same little plaza- a big one in the parking lot, and a small one inside one of the larger stores. There is one more in the plaza across the street. And that is pretty common, too.

I'll also agree about the whole sizing nomenclature being weird. "Grande" and "Venti" are both words meaning "big" or "large", but they mean absolutely nothing with respect to one another, so there is no logical way by merely reading the names to determine which is bigger. Something that is tall isn't necessarily very volumnous if it is skinny, and something that is short can have a lot of volume if it is wide enough. There is no reason not to use more descriptive words like "medium" and "extra-large" other than marketing snobbery. Weee...look at me! I'm in the club and I can deciper coffee sizes!

I go into starbucks a few times a year, but it definitely isn't my favorite. They're usually soooo sugary because they need to be to cover the bitterness.

Oh yeah...someone mentioned 10 years ago...well, in the northwest, there were STILL a ton of espresso spots 10 and even 15 years ago. Little mobile coffe stands were pretty popular for a while then, too, although their popularity has decreased since there are so many bonafied shops now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

peets story

Quote Originally Posted by formica
    I was in Oakland a few years ago, taking care of my nephews while my sister was in Italy. I went to the Peet's on Grand Ave ( I think) and ordered a vanilla latte. This is my standard that I can get no questions asked up here on the Idaho border. I was told by a very snotty barrista that "we dont' do flavors, it ruins the coffee". Oh, puh-leese.
    That happened to my wife.
    funny thing is that peets supposedly was started by rebel Starbucks employees who thought that Starbucks was loosing their "edge". Bizzarre all around!
    So if you go to Peets remember it is real tough and they (which explains the burnt coffee) and no pumpkin lattes.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maker
    That happened to my wife.
    funny thing is that peets supposedly was started by rebel Starbucks employees who thought that Starbucks was loosing their "edge". Bizzarre all around!
    So if you go to Peets remember it is real tough and they (which explains the burnt coffee) and no pumpkin lattes.
    Peets has been around for a lot longer than Starbucks.

mtbr member
    When I went to UCLA I had a warrant out for my arrest because I didn't pay my jay-walking ticket. The light was green, but I was outside of the white crosswalk lines. I had to go to court and beg for mercy. oy.

Quote Originally Posted by EtE
    Ahhhhhhhhhh HA HA HA! This is awesome Rev, thanks for sharing.

Speaking of the crosswalks, I was in SoCal (Santa Barbara) last November, and I stopped at a Barnes & Noble for a book on hiking trails in the vicinity. When I had my book, I left the store and was on my way back to my car when I did something that no one in their right MIND would do! I CROSSED THE STREET! I wasn't near a crosswalk, and the people that were at the crosswalk were patiently waiting for the walk signal. But there wasn't a moving car within a half mile in any direction.

Don't think for a SECOND that I wasn't PULLED OVER (while WALKING!!) within 30 seconds of reaching the other side, by a Santa Barbara cop, who took my license, and then proceeded to grill me about "What? There aren't crosswalks or signals in New Jersey?"

My honest-to-God response?

"None that people will sit and wait for when it's obvious the coast is clear."

It was almost like he didn't believe me, no kidding. No ticket either, but I'm still in shock about the whole thing. The way this guys tone was with me, you'd would think I was shootin' babies, no ifs, ands, or maybes.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

jrm
    mtbr member

Starbucks Vs. Peets story..,

theres a local road ride that would meet at starbucks here on alameda. Soon we became many and the staff started giving us crap for taking over the couchs and being kinda rowdy. Then a peets openned accross the street so now we meet at the peets..We take over the couches and chairs facing the starbucks and hang till everyone shows up then we roll. no hassles plenty of dogs to pet and lick up spilled coffee and muffin droppings too.

mtbr member
    Last time I was in Brooklyn, I went into a little corner store, the type with the deli counter in the back. I ordered a "coffee." What I got was coffee with cream and sugar automatically added. Yuck. I guess it's a regional thing. Anyway, as someone else said, stick with Peets in Nor Cal. If you're forced to go to Starbucks, go with the Americano rather than plain coffee.

Preemptive Revenger
    I make it a point of pride to always order S/M/L/XL when getting coffee, no matter where I am or what store I'm in. Anybody gives me lip about not ordering tall/venti/grande, I look around and ask if we've been magically transported to italy.

I'm with you. Even in StarSucks I won't use their terminology - it's ridiculous, and it's wrong. Any Italians in here? I don't even think that's how they say S/M/L in Italian!

Also agree, Peet's is a number of years older than Starsucks.

Also agree, Starsucks is actually quite mediocre; most any coffee shop you go to will be at least as good, if not tremendously superior, and always cheaper! Pay attention people!
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    I'm with you. Even in StarSucks I won't use their terminology - it's ridiculous, and it's wrong. Any Italians in here? I don't even think that's how they say S/M/L in Italian!

Also agree, Starsucks is actually quite mediocre; most any coffee shop you go to will be at least as good, if not tremendously superior, and always cheaper! Pay attention people!
    this is where i disagree...the reason (i believe) starbucks is so popular is that most people open a coffee shop without a simple clue on how to make coffee..they don't know the length a shot of espresso should be extracted in and could care less..i don't like starbucks but they do have quality control and trained people working the espresso machine (i just defended farbucks)...but here in my neighborhood there are probably 10 coffee shops in a mile radius and not one can make a decent cup of coffee...

i have given up and now roast my own beans....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

try driving your car less

In Italy you dont get coffee in paper cup. Coffee in a paper cup "to go" is just so disgusting to me now after having spent last winter in Italy. They dont have paper cups in the coffee bars there at all. Some neighbor places will get coffees to bring back to their office, and they use little empty bitter soda bottles (campari sodas) that the bar saves. there are no cup holders in italian cars. think about that for a second. people actually stop what they are doing, drink their coffee and then carry on.

The smallest coffee at any of those places like starbucks is much bigger than anything you would get in italy. so it doesnt take an hour and 4 trips to the bathroom to drink.

and while we are on the subject... what the fock is up with the gigantic muffins and cinnabuns? do people eat those things? OK, maybe halfway into a huge ride, but i dont think that's the major consumer of those monstrosities.

why can we not produce a decent cornetto in this country? because it's simply not large enough for our stretched out gullets.

and if you are trying to be italian: no cappucino or latte or anything resembling milk in your espresso after about 10:30 am... unless you are a tourist. I would get a macchiato (stained with a drop of milk) as some sort of compromise because i am yankee capitalist.

i am not saying everything in italy is better... but please stop with the pseudo italian crap. it just makes you (the coffee people) look ignorant. like eating a burger with a knife and fork.

I go to a local coffee place that will put my coffee in a ceramic cup if i ask nicely. but i usually make coffee at home like a normal non-lazy person.

starbucks vs peets vs whatever is like mcdonalds vs buggerking vs happyfunburger or whatever. they will suffice in a pinch, like when travelling, but they generally blow.

and for the east vs west coast. i live on the east but used to live in the east bay: you didnt mention that you rode to the coffee place in what, jeans and a sweatshirt? in NY you would be wearing gloves and a balaclava and spitting ice tonight.

i got ticketed for jaywalking in LA once.

the ONLY time i will not walk on red is when there are little kids around. same reason not to smoke crack or ride crappy bikes in front of little ones. it just sets a bad example
    Only boring people get bored.

WWYD?

West versus East

Rev Bubba,

I go back to Baltimore every year from Marin County and I really like the change. There are some strange people in Baltimore; just like the John Waters movies.

I go to this diner called Fields every year with the family and we sit at the counter and order a big lunch. The waitresses always call us "Hon" and the busboy (for three! years now) looks just like Edgar Allen Poe. There isn't really a diner like it out here. These are honest people without any egos. I like that. And the crab cakes and shrimp are out-of-this-world.

Crime in Baltimore is real compared to San Francisco. I can walk or ride around the central and north part of The City without any real fears. But just a block or two away from the Inner Harbor in Baltimore you can run into some crime quick.

But the REAL thing that bugs me about the east coast are the crowned roads. Dam, they take a lot of getting used to when you are riding a bike. Don't ride without hands on that stuff. Plus the awareness of bike riders in Baltimore is zilch, they would rather run you over than slow down.

Paper or plastic?
    At least we can thank Starbucks for making espresso coffee a household name. First time I ordered coffee in this country (15 years ago) was at a Mc Donald (okay I know better than that now...) and I could see the bottom of the cup. Oh the horror.

Funniest thing is they now have Starbucks in Europe now.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    This is why I drink tea ! Tea- Earl Grey-Hot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Y'all been drinking coffee long enough, you should know how big a 12 oz., 16 oz., or 20 oz. cup is. I just order it that way, and screw the fancy Italian words.

In SoCal, at least in the west San Fernando Valley, there are no mom and pop coffee stands like in Eugene, so I started to go to Star-schmucks. I'll probably take some flak for this, but now I just go to 7-11, get the darkest coffee they have, and throw one of those flavored creamers in there. Not the foo-foo stuff, but it works for me.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider
    This is why I drink tea ! Tea- Earl Grey-Hot!
    Hold on now. Do you want loose or bagged? Pot or just a cup? Decaf or full caf?

Oh yes, I am a true Californian indeed. I like the street lights because I can sip my hot tea/coffee while the light changes

Nat
    mtbr member
    I like Starbucks. There I said it. [peep!]

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I like Starbucks. There I said it. [peep!]
    Now you've done it! I've emailed the mods about you - hopefully you'll be banned for posting such an ugly statement! Bastard.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by 'fiend
    Last time I was in Brooklyn, I went into a little corner store, the type with the deli counter in the back. I ordered a "coffee." What I got was coffee with cream and sugar automatically added. Yuck. I guess it's a regional thing. .
    That's a "regular" coffee in diners throughout most of the northeast. If you want something else, like black, you need to specify.

If you order a double-decaf-latte-hold-the-foam in a diner in the northeast chances are you'll get either a blank look or a dope slap. Preferably the latter.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    I lived in New England for ten years. During that time Peet's tried to establish itself by co-marketing through Au Bon Pain. Coffee was too strong for Bostonites -- they're all hooked on Dunkin' Donuts coffee! With cream and sugar, of course...

Complete Bastard
    East-West, also one of the best albums ever put out by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band

mtbr member

I can only conclude that the reason housing costs so much in Norcal is that people spend inordinate amounts of time waiting to cross the street and ordering coffee.

Peace
    So I guess what you are saying is housing cost in New York City are very low? I think the real point is New Yorkers/Folk from Jersey, don't know how to "live" and work 100 hrs a week. Therefore, why not charge an exorbinant amount for a 400 sq ft loft and laugh all the way to the bank. Ya know what they say....."East is least, and West is BEST!!!" So chill out, live, and have a latte!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Now you've done it! I've emailed the mods about you - hopefully you'll be banned for posting such an ugly statement! Bastard.
    Hey look over there [point]!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    thanks Rev...i though i was the only one out here who found things are pretty crazy out west...i've got some good stories from down here in LA area...where people can not act unless they have seen it on tv or a movie...i really can't figure out the people down here
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member

Housing in NJ is about 1/2 Nocal cost

A 2 bedroom "starter" home in Pleasenton, California was going for $1,000,000 and that was 40 miles from San Francisco. No, costs in that area are just plain crazy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Hey look over there [point]!
    What? What?

Nat, I don't see- hey, where'd he go?

Aw, crap...

mtbr member

Post Script

I went to a Starbucks on Saturday. I had a tall (small) Eggnog Latte.
    It was good.

mtbr member

Post Post Script (PPS)

All is right with the world again.

This morning (Monday) I got my coffee from my regular Middle-Eastern gentleman on the streets of New York City while dodging bicycle messengers, buses, yellow cabs and people.....

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    Coffee in a paper cup "to go" is just so disgusting to me now after having spent last winter in Italy. [snip 8 paragraphs of highly entertaining snobbery]
    God I love snobs. Thankfully jh_on_the_cape is only one of many on this thread.

Preemptive Revenger
    Quote Originally Posted by bock
    God I love snobs. Thankfully jh_on_the_cape is only one of many on this thread.
    Bock, you come back from the dissappeared on a coffee thread? Huh? Don't you need to tell us about your most recent epic ride first?

Snobbily yours
    Tom
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

...master of none
    Bock, you come back from the dissappeared on a coffee thread? Huh? Don't you need to tell us about your most recent epic ride first?

Snobbily yours
    Tom
    Ha, I'm just grumpy because I've got a day and a half of work before I leave for Moab for 4 days...

And to prove I'm doing more than just beech about you coffee snobs, here are some Fruita pics from a couple weeks ago:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=142751

Got any trips coming up?

bock

mtbr member

Totally unrelated & useless trivia

I got curious and looked up your bio and I see we were both born on June 21....

Now, that is useless trivia, isn't it. Enjoy the trip.

PS: I surprised at all the responses to what should have been recognized as humor, not some earth shattering comment on cultural differences.

Hairy man
    I'm trying to change that. Not the umbrella thing, but I jaywalk fiendishly. I don't really believe in umbrellas, they're too easy to lose and very inefficient when biking.

And I order large coffees. When the person says "drip?" I sigh heavily.

But really Seattle is a wonderful city. If people would just start driving the speed limit on the highways...
    We all get it in the end.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    That's a "regular" coffee in diners throughout most of the northeast. If you want something else, like black, you need to specify.

If you order a double-decaf-latte-hold-the-foam in a diner in the northeast chances are you'll get either a blank look or a dope slap. Preferably the latter.
    Well, it's regular if you order take out. At an eat-in diner you'll get a ceramic cup with some creamers in a saucer.

I've noticed some diners (and all Dunkin' Donuts) have added cappachino" machines that pump out some sort of instant coffee blend for way, way too much money.
    We all get it in the end.

120 pounds of xc sex!

i cant believe you guys...

you have left out The coffee Bean!!! (which, by the way, is more $$$ than starbucks now. ark) Coffee bean stopped their card punching program, and now I have 5 cards which are not worth crap. that sucks. and dont try to email them, they dont listen.

So for the home roasters. How do you do it, and post methods. lets make this useful!

Btw, is there a diff between expresso and coffee beans? or propaganda!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Members who have read this thread: 0