mtbr dismember

Downieville, CA in late November! pics

Because of near record snowfall in the Sierras this past winter we got screwed out of at least one month of riding in the early summer. Well, the bike gods decided to make it up to us by greatly extending the fall riding season. Yesterday I rode at Downieville, high in the California Sierras with 29erchico. It was 25 degrees in Downieville at 7:30 in the morning so we bundled up, expecting the worst at the 7,100 ft. starting point. However it turned out to be clear blue skies, no wind and perhaps 65 degrees! We shed most of our winter clothes and headed out towards Pauley Creek, intending to do Big Boulder, Second Divide and then 1st Divide. However, on Big Boulder we occasionally hit some frozen trail and even a bit of ice in some shaded areas.

I'm much more of a XC aerobic enthusiast so I've always felt a bit guilty just doing all the downhill stuff at Downieville. So this summer I mastered the Big Boulder Trail, which has quite a bit of XC and some pretty serious climbing. However, three years ago when I was just back on the bike I did 2nd Divide with The 0gre and all I remember was pushing my bike a lot and killing my knees walking down a lot of steep descents. But this day was just so perfect, reaching 70 degrees by the time we got to 2nd Divide, that we went for it.

Apparently I've improved quite a bit in the past three years because it was quite a blast! There were only two hike-a-bike sections that probably very few could ride. And since I could do all the descents I spared my knees the torture of walking downhill. 2nd Divide has a lot of really nice flowing singletrack and a lot of fairly gnarly stuff on narrow rocky trails high above a roaring river. I highly recommend it. On Big Boulder 29erchico had what at first seemed like a fairly harmless fall. But he dinged his head a bit, bruised some ribs, and started feeling it later in the ride. But who would have thought we could have such a beautiful ride at the end of November in the Sierras? Thanks biking gods! It was pretty dark in the forests so I didn't get very many decent photos. Below are a few.

Beautiful day

Downieville Outfitters hottie unloading the bikes

Do we qualify?

29erchico on Big Boulder

On Big Boulder

29erchico post fall

Lot of this on 2nd Divide

29erchico on 2nd Divide

On 2nd Divide

29erchico on Big Boulder

Me on 1st Divide

Last edited by Wherewolf; 11-20-2005 at 01:07 PM.

surly inbred
    Good stuff!

What are you shooting with? ...pics are very sharp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool stuff. I'm pondering whether or not to head out there for this yr's gathering. Your pics are leaning towards going.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Cool stuff. I'm pondering whether or not to head out there for this yr's gathering. Your pics are leaning towards going.

What gathering is that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

weekend before Thanksgiving riding in Downieville

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Because of near record snowfall in the Sierras this past winter we got screwed out of at least one month of riding in the early summer. Well, the bike gods decided to make it up to us by greatly extending the fall riding season. Yesterday I rode at Downieville, high in the California Sierras with 29erchico. It was 25 degrees in Downieville at 7:30 in the morning so we bundled up, expecting the worst at the 7,100 ft. starting point. However it turned out to be clear blue skies, no wind and perhaps 65 degrees! We shed most of our winter clothes and headed out towards Pauley Creek, intending to do Big Boulder, Second Divide and then 1st Divide. However, on Big Boulder we occasionally hit some frozen trail and even a bit of ice in some shaded areas.

I'm much more of a XC aerobic enthusiast so I've always felt a bit guilty just doing all the downhill stuff at Downieville. So this summer I mastered the Big Boulder Trail, which has quite a bit of XC and some pretty serious climbing. However, three years ago when I was just back on the bike I did 2nd Divide with The 0gre and all I remember was pushing my bike a lot and killing my knees walking down a lot of steep descents. But this day was just so perfect, reaching 70 degrees by the time we got to 2nd Divide, that we went for it.

Apparently I've improved quite a bit in the past three years because it was quite a blast! There were only two hike-a-bike sections that probably very few could ride. And since I could do all the descents I spared my knees the torture of walking downhill. 2nd Divide has a lot of really nice flowing singletrack and a lot of fairly gnarly stuff on narrow rocky trails high above a roaring river. I highly recommend it. On Big Boulder 29erchico had what at first seemed like a fairly harmless fall. But he dinged his head a bit, bruised some ribs, and started feeling it later in the ride. But who would have thought we could have such a beautiful ride at the end of November in the Sierras? Thanks biking gods! It was pretty dark in the forests so I didn't get very many decent photos. Below are a few.

Beautiful day

Downieville Outfitters hottie unloading the bikes

Do we qualify?

29erchico on Big Boulder

On Big Boulder

29erchico post fall

Lot of this on 2nd Divide

29erchico on 2nd Divide

On 2nd Divide

29erchico on Big Boulder

Me on 1st Divide

Everyone had fun with the shop mascot Brutus included at the saddle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Weekend before Thanksgiving Riding in Downieville

Thanks Steven for your enthusiasm and bringing up the energy level! This weekend was Serendipity !... everyone was buzzing with the weather and trail in perfect harmony and the knowledge that this Fall goes on record as being one of the longest and warmest. They're still going at Downieville Outfitters. There are people scheduled for the 4 day Thanksgiving weekend if anyone else is interested in accompanying them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dirt
    What gathering is that?
    I was under the impression that there's a gathering out there every yr. I know there's one in the '04 gathering archives.

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by Harp
    What are you shooting with? ...pics are very sharp.
    Canon S410

Members who have read this thread: 0