mtbr member

Does anyone have 50+ years old riders videos to share?

Hello.

First of all let me explain why I'm asking this. My father is about to have his 60th birthday, and he feels older than he actually is. I always have thought that the age is somewhat mentally, but I just can't get him out of his house to do some riding or even a simple walk because he claims that he's too old for this.

Then I thought that if I show to him some videos of people of his age riding and enjoying a nice ride, maybe there will be a chance of getting him out.

I don't want him to be jumping and racing, but doing some enjoyable rides just to get him in a better shape. I'm just trying to fuel up his passion and to do something for his own body.

I would really appreciate any videos, stories, photos, or anything that could help me to get him out of his place.

Thanks all for reading this and sorry for my English.

To moderators: Sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but I couldn't figure a better place to do it.
    Last edited by rafab; 01-18-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: grammar... =/
    Sorry for my lousy English. Please feel free to point out my errors.

mtbr member

This guy came to mind first(NM)

I'm just messing with you
    Not a video, but this fellow still gets with it at 72 http://www.wvmountainbike.com/id15.html
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

DynoDon
    I've got a few for ya, I'm 64 yrs old, I've been off work this year, and took it off the road, and on the dirt, I hope to never go back on the road, I've gotten some 40+ rides in this year, won a 2nd place in the 60 year and over class at a time trial, I've lost 30+ pounds, I'm in better health then I've been in in years.
    I wish my Spanish was a bad as your English, you have great English..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoHdy7QKSuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMt7Vx05IAU

mtbr member
    Please take the followings words in the most respectful and polite way. Honestly I don't know how to put it in some way that doesn't sound harsh.

It's really nice and beautiful to see people of your age riding with such enthusiasm!! I hope I can ride like that at your age. Keep it up

Thank you all for your replies!

PS: manabiker, if you need help with your Spanish don't hesitate to drop me a PM!

mtbr member
    I am 62 years old and far from a good MTBer, but , I enjoy getting out in the woods for a couple of hours. Here's my first attempt at a video this winter while taking my dog along.
    I hope it's not too lame.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9usmj6Qtxag
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

DynoDon
    Quote Originally Posted by galtzaiLe
    Please take the followings words in the most respectful and polite way. Honestly I don't know how to put it in some way that doesn't sound harsh.

It's really nice and beautiful to see people of your age riding with such enthusiasm!! I hope I can ride like that at your age. Keep it up

Thank you all for your replies!

PS: manabiker, if you need help with your Spanish don't hesitate to drop me a PM!
    I hope I can ride like that at your age. Keep it up

Thank you, you said it as good as anyone can, I will keep it up, and get better next year,
    I met a guy in October, he is 78 yrs old, we were doing a 60 mile mountain bike ride, I hope I can be half as good as him in a few years, he passed 10,000 miles for the year that day, with over a month left in our riding season, he rides road, and trail.
    I hope your Padre gets out there, and enjoys it too.

slow
    Not as hard core as some of the others posted, but here is my Mom riding one of my bikes around the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. She will be 66 next month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have 50+ years old riders videos to share?-cruisermom.jpg  

the mostly reverend
    i'm a 58 year old cat 1 road and off-road racer. first started racing in 1983, i race road, mountain bike, cyclocross, bmx, and now tandem [road, cyclocross and mountain--we don't have a bmx tandem yet]. my wife is 53. i have won state and regional championships in all disciplines except bmx, but i'm trying. i train and race against kids 1/2 and 1/3 my age on a regular basis, and continue to help dish out the hurt.
    my wife just started racing in september, 2009, doing cyclocross, which i think is the hardest of all disciplines, and LOVES it.
    so, really, you are NOT too old to ride, or even race for that matter.
    no matter how your day is going, it ALWAYS gets better once you throw a leg over a top tube. try it. and good luck.
    i'll post some pics and vids next.
    kim

the mostly reverend
    here's a brief clip of me winning the masters 50+ state criterium championship in 2006 in pella, iowa, at a racing age of 54. notice that i have a 2+ block lead over the rest of the field, having attacked at the gun, and soloed the entire 45 minute race. i love doing wheelies and bunny hops for style points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZiwoZnGJTc
    kim

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here is another one of Rich "Godfather" Strang and some buddies.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Turned 50 last March and hit Whistler for the first time in Sept. Videos in my rides below. (I want to be like the godfather when I grow up.)
    Last edited by whoda*huck; 01-18-2011 at 10:20 PM.

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    An inspiring thread! Love to see the old guys rip! Reminds me of a time when I was 38 years old and riding in Breckenridge. It was Fall and the area was pretty desolate. I met a fellow rider on the trail. He asked me if I wanted to join him for a ride. He was 72 and kicked my butt that day. I wonder if he still rides. He'd be about 85 now. Anyone know of an oldtimer about this age in Breckenridge that still rides?

Bandolero

Don't Step On The Grass

Look up Traildoc in the AZ forum.

He takes "Get off my lawn, get on my trail" to a new level. An inspiring person and scary good rider.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Retro on Steroids
    Here is a video shot last summer on Repack by an English rider of me and Joe Breeze. When it was shot Joe was 56 years old and I was 64. You gotta love the theme music.

Joe and I immediately pulled away from the camera, then I dropped my chain, which put me behind the camera, but I smoked him when I passed.at 2:05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_hV8QMqiFI

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for all these inspiring and great videos, photos and stories! I'm truly amazed

I'll will catch up with my father on the weekend, and for sure I'll show him all the videos and translate all the stories.

Then again, thank you so much sharing this!

mtbr member
    Half of these riders are over 50, some over 60.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jkstorer#p/f/3/r1mKI3hDbOM
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here is a video of the Enchilada Buffet in Austin Texas. You dad needs to watch the guy at about 1 minute 15 seconds. Not shown in the video is a guy named George who rode -and finished - his first Enchilada Buffet. That is 90 miles of road and trails in and around Austin Texas. George followed that up by turning 70 about a month later!

George is MY HERO!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I see guys in there very late 40s+ riding all the time. One thing they have is really nice bikes. Yes I'm jealous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Some people are players and others are spectators. Many players don't age but just slow down physically. Spectators tend to be spectators for life.

Maybe your Dad is a spectator? ... he probably enjoys knowing that you are a player but playing is not for him.

Warren.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not sure his exact age, but he is into his retirement years.
    http://runutsadventures.com/bike/ He's even a member here, maybe he'll chime in eventually when he's not traveling and riding.

mtbr member
    Two of the guys in this stud riding video are over 60.
    All four of us are over 50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b06n4DUiPyo

The other youtube videos by the same poster are by a guy who is 50+.

Muskoka

I'm 59 and ride or ski most weekends...

he might enjoy this one

from BlackCanoeDog on Vimeo.

Buckwallow Cycling Centre

Gravenhurst, Ontario

Canada.

A late season ride at Buckwallow. A new trail opens, so there is the question of a name. Hoof Hearted or Buck Naked?

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    My 78 year-old father a year and a half ago when he was "only" 77.

SacPass 019

Here he is a few years before that. He's still riding trails and will be 79 in April.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Lots of passion on the pictures, videos and stories. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa
    Some people are players and others are spectators. Many players don't age but just slow down physically. Spectators tend to be spectators for life.

Maybe your Dad is a spectator? ... he probably enjoys knowing that you are a player but playing is not for him.
    I thought about this, and I have to admit that you have a solid point.

Its a long story, but trust me, I don't want to force him to do anything that he doesn't want, I'm just trying to start the spark and see what happens.

I honestly feel that if I can get him out of his house to do a bike ride or even a simple walk around the neighborhood he eventually will feel better.

Thanks all!

Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    My 78 year-old father a year and a half ago when he was "only" 77.

SacPass 019

Here he is a few years before that. He's still riding trails and will be 79 in April.

Your dad is so inspiring!

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    I'm 57 and started riding XC/Trail when I was 50. He can do it, just start riding with him on easy flat trails, and work up from there at his speed.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Never trust a fart
    I have a long time family friend that will be 70 this coming year. And he still races occasionally. His last race he did, he finished in 11th out of 21. Pretty darn good IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe
    I am 62 years old and far from a good MTBer, but , I enjoy getting out in the woods for a couple of hours. Here's my first attempt at a video this winter while taking my dog along.
    i'm 56 great vid. but the music really, really sucked. it was like the mary tyler moore show or rhoda. next time - Welcome To The Jungle

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No video , but this guy Kranky Karl is 66 years old !

and then there is Ed , what courage this man has 71 years old with a Sever case of Emphazema , but he still gets out and rides!

I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by galtzaiLe
    Then I thought that if I show to him some videos of people of his age riding and enjoying a nice ride, maybe there will be a chance of getting him out.
    Here's a quick raw video, nothing epic. It's day 3 of a 6 days crossing the alps trip. I'm 40 and following one of my best friends. He's 50-something - think it's 52 but not sure. A big inspiration for all that rides with him!

Just get your dad out there - It'll be great

Kasper

Last edited by Kasper; 01-21-2011 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr dismember

When I was younger, at 58

When I was younger, at 58, I made this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerkim
    i love doing wheelies and bunny hops for style points
    Nice! Good thing you didn't bunnyhop the sensors - beware!

Kasper

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Two of these guys are in their 60's and on in his 50's. They put in a ton of hours on the bikes.
    http://www.woodysbicycles.com/web/out_of_grace.html

Look out!
    Here is a 54 year old mountain biker I know who does very well at local races. Tell pops that it is never too late to get started. Be sure and have him get a check up and clearance from the Doc before he does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have 50+ years old riders videos to share?-mtnbkridemy%2520passion.jpg  

Ride the bike.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry no video, but my Dad started riding when he retired at age 59. He was your typical very out of shape retiree. He turned 70 last summer and finished the year with 11,600 miles.

mtbr member
    Thank you all SO much!

My dad watched some videos while I was translating some of your stories. He's willing to take a slow and easy ride with me, just for fun.

Thanks again for all the inspiring videos, pictures and stories! I hope this thread also inspire someone else to ride, despite his or her age

RHRF!

I just turned 53...

...and I am still loving 'The Chunk'!

from Mark Jenness on Vimeo.

"The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Best way to get your dad up and moving is to kick his behind out the door and go on a ride with him, even if he is initially not into it. Sounds silly, however, if he enjoys it the experience will be self-reinforcing and get him moving on his own. If he doesnt enjoy it, riding may not be for him.

MrR

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    I turn 50 in March. Most of my riding buddies are in their late 40s. I see plenty of people on the trail older than myself - very encouraging. Plenty of entertaining material (ride reports, videos, etc) on our blog at http://mo7s.blogspot.com/. I think it's awesome you want to share something so special with your Dad, good luck!

cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Turning 50 was difficult for me. I had my third knee operation, and that spelled the end of my more than 3 decade running career. Former running adventures include high-school track, college cross country, and, later in life, participating in distance relays like the 197-mile Mount Hood to Pacific Ocean race. Running was as much a part of my life as eating breakfast.

So it was not easy for me to untie his running shoes for the last time. But soon I found myself strapping those old feet to a shell and now, after hundreds of hours of practice and over 1500 km of rowing, I am rowing in regattas and even won a gold medal in a men's masters race last fall. In a couple weeks, I am rowing in an indoor regatta (ergometer race) and hope to break into the top 30 in the world for my age-gender-weight class for the 2000m race. I row on water or on a rowing maching 3-5 days per week, and mountain bike on the remaining days. I ride mostly fire roads and a typical ride is 20-30 miles. I am also an active scuba diver, a sport that I started at age 42. With rowing and biking, I have revived my athletic competitiveness and I can train as hard as I did in my thirties.

Getting old in life involves getting things taking from us. But sometimes we can fight back and not only regain what was taken from us, but go on to new achievements. That gold medal I won was the first time I had won any race since college.

We only get one chance to live and even though I am getting older, I want to make sure that I do everything possible to make sure that the guy I see in the mirror every morning is the same guy that competed with fire in his twenties. That way I know I am still living. The following rowing video sums the person I want to see in that mirror every morning. Note that the message works for any sport whether it be mountain biking, rowing, or football (the speech comes from the movie, On Any Given Sunday).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmZmKsL5eE

mtbr member
    What about that guy who rides the unicycle? I think he calls himself Unigeezer, or something like that. I think he's about 50. I know there are vids of him somewhere around here.

mtbr member
    No movies but I just turned 50 and have only been MTB'n about a year, god how I wish I had discovered it sooner !! Get him off the couch and on a bike now.......start him out on pavement..

Because I am !
    I'm not an extreme rider and neither are the guys we ride with, however we do like challenges. Our club has an wide age span from kids to folks in their 70's. In this video there are two guys with us in their mid 60's (one in a red jersey, the other in lime green, another in his early 50's and I myself at 56.

If he does get an interest, start him out like noted in earlier post on easy stuff like rails to trails or flat easy trails. That should spark his interest if anything will. Hope some of the videos have helped.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    outdoornut...fantastic !!..thanks for sharing!!

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe
    Not lame at all, great vid!

Members who have read this thread: 1