Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member extraordinair
    Reputation: Stupendous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,075

    A different kind of passion

    Good stuff

    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

  2. #2
    mtbr member extraordinair
    Reputation: Stupendous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,075
    so much for embedding the vid...go here and watch it big:


    edit: fixed!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

  3. #3
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,961
    Very cool! And the embedding worked for me.

    I would love to get more kids on bikes!

  4. #4
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,626
    Seems pretty posative

  5. #5
    rmi
    rmi is offline
    Still using dork disk.
    Reputation: rmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    304
    Great find. Great video.

    Ryan

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    341
    Seems like a good idea. But how is it any different than roaming the streets. You're still roaming the streets except now your on a colorful bike.

    And I am just going to throw it out there. Why would you paint a bike in the first place. cough cough stolen.

    Not being racist, just calling it how I see it.

  7. #7
    rmi
    rmi is offline
    Still using dork disk.
    Reputation: rmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    304
    Getting kids "off the streets" doesn't mean physically removing them from public streets and other areas. It means getting them off drug selling, gangs, violence, etc. Taking a less productive/socially constructive practice and turning it into something fun and positive.

    Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    Seems like a good idea. But how is it any different than roaming the streets. You're still roaming the streets except now your on a colorful bike.

    And I am just going to throw it out there. Why would you paint a bike in the first place. cough cough stolen.

    Not being racist, just calling it how I see it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member extraordinair
    Reputation: Stupendous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    Seems like a good idea. But how is it any different than roaming the streets. You're still roaming the streets except now your on a colorful bike.

    And I am just going to throw it out there. Why would you paint a bike in the first place. cough cough stolen.

    Not being racist, just calling it how I see it.

    Antipassion

    Promoting bike riding in whatever form is a good thing
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi
    Getting kids "off the streets" doesn't mean physically removing them from public streets and other areas. It means getting them off drug selling, gangs, violence, etc. Taking a less productive/socially constructive practice and turning it into something fun and positive.

    Ryan
    You can sell drugs, and cause and be caught up in violence while riding a bike. I actually live on the south side of chicago, not around chicago, in the city limits and this is no different than standing on a street corner with a bunch of your thug friends. The only difference is that you are riding a bike trough the hood instead of walking. IMHO this could actually cause violence, and promote wrong doing.

    To really get kids off the streets someone should get them involved in some type of competitive riding were they could focus their energy and stay out of trouble. whether it be road or track or mountain. Anything to actually get them off the streets.

    Anti passion over

  10. #10
    powered by peanut butter.
    Reputation: heartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    To really get kids off the streets someone should get them involved in some type of competitive riding were they could focus their energy and stay out of trouble. whether it be road or track or mountain.
    Or that energy could be focused, say, on something creative and aesthetically innovative, like fixing and decorating refurbished bikes into unique, artistic pieces that their creators can take pride in riding.

    I think this project is a great idea. It's not going to stop violence, drug abuse, etc. - eliminating poverty is the only way to do that - but it's still a great outlet for people with limited resources.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: annamagpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    234
    love it--thanks forfinding this and sharing it!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland
    Or that energy could be focused, say, on something creative and aesthetically innovative, like fixing and decorating refurbished bikes into unique, artistic pieces that their creators can take pride in riding.

    I think this project is a great idea. It's not going to stop violence, drug abuse, etc. - eliminating poverty is the only way to do that - but it's still a great outlet for people with limited resources.
    +1

    Fantastic video, thanks for posting.

    When all looks bad ride your bike and you'll enjoy the sunshine again - even more so when riding with your buddies.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    17
    They all talked about MOM's NOT DAD, Just saying!!

    We have dumped trillions of tax money into the HOOD and all kinds of nonprofit organizations and it's failed miserably, can you say Baltimore? We cant even publicly say all lives matter without getting booed of the stage, just ask Democrat presidential candidate O'Malley??? It all starts in the family and the way we love and teach our kids!! Dad in the hood?? NOT

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.