Fragile - must be Italian

Daddy's little helper

I came in from a night ride a few weeks ago with a broken shifter. I had to cut my ride short and was pretty upset about it. My daughter asked "What's wrong daddy?" and I told her my bike was broken.

Well she marched right into the house, found her little toolbox, and proceeded to fix up my bike. It was the cutest thing I have ever seen...so of course I whipped out the camera and took a few pictures.

I hope she continues to have an interest in bikes. She loves her little Giant trike. I can't wait for the day that we get to ride together.

Thx...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    brings a tear to the eye!!!!!!!!!!

avg. joe

Awesome helper

I remember whan my 2 kiddos were that age and helped out with the wrenching. Now, at 5 and 7, they are riding on the trails with me. Boy, time sure does fly by.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.

Reviewer/Tester
    ..Ya gots to hold yer toes just so...when fixing the pedals..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK......Have to admit it.......Too damn cute.

Cyclist
    Nice post!

Kids are great that way. You can have a crappy day at work or something, but when you get home and the kid says "Daddy, you want to play with me?"... it all seems to go away.

Kids rock.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My son, now just over 21 months, loves tools and bikes. When he sees me wrenching on something he will grab a wrench of his own and proceed to "fix the spokes", ie: bang on them. For Christmas he's getting a tiny Norco bike with training wheels that nearly the diameter of the main wheels, plan on teaching him to ride in the basement over the winter so he's ready to roll in the spring.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

That Looks oddly familiar!

my little guy would just walk around the bike sticking a screwdrive or something wherever it seemed to fit! they're just too cute when they "help".

So far, mine has started riding his tricycle off the one step on our patio so I may have to bump him up to something with a little more travel pretty soon..........

So I'm doing some work on the trusty Yeti ARC this week in preparation for an epic that was planned for 8:00 Saturday AM. My Bottom Bracket and seat rails have been squealing like a stuck pig for some time now and I finally decided that I've had enough of it so I stripped everything down to clean and lube properly. In doing so Thursday evening I noticed that I had about 2 strands of rear derailleur cable actually doing any shifting while the remainder had apparently been severed for God knows how long. Friday at lunch I pick up a new cable with the plans to install it when I got home from work.

Well, Friday evening I take the plastic screw cap thing out of the XTR shifter bodies to remove the old cable. as I'm unscrewing the cap, pieces of shifter body start falling into my hand! I had noticed some cracks in the plastic body in the past but I figured, no harm no foul! The shifters still worked and the bodies were only cracked. Well, apparently Friday was the day that just cracked turned into just broken!

I will say that my XTR shifter pods are vintage 1998 so I've more than gotten my money's worth out of them. The shifters still actually function even though 80% of the plastic body is now gone but shifting is a bit more diffiuclt. I"m sure that the body was offering some structural integrity to the device and with it now gone things just aren't lining up like they are supposed to. RAther than chance breaking the whole thing 90 miles from nowhere, I had to opt out of the epic today. Instead, I got to go shopping for bike parts!

II knew I needed new shifters but what to get? i could get some new XTR pods but my XTR rear derailleur is also circa 1998 (original pulleys even!) and I know it'll eventually die. I was a bit worried about dropping some coin on new XTR shifters and then have to buy an @ss backwards Shimano derailleur when my current one broke. So, I decided to swith over to SRAM shifters. I know I could have gone with the Rocket shifters and kept my Shimano derailleur but I decided to get the X9 shifters mated to a shiny new X0 rear derailleur. I really wanted the X0 shifters but nobody has them in stock right now and I really need them now so I figured I can always upgrade later. The X9 shifters were only 65 bucks after haveing Supergo Price match them so they weren't a ton of coin.

Anyway, I got the parts home and promptly put the new mechanic to work!

Looking for the correct tool.

This one might do the trick!

hmmmmmm, where does it go?

maybe it goes in here. But I better not put down my pretzels or my sippy! In a few years, the sippy will probably have Arrogant Bastard or something similar in it but for now it has some mighty tasty 2%!

I think I just about have it

Perfect! I figured out why the shifting wasn’t working. This will work MUCH better……

what’s better after a hard day’s worth of wrenching than catching a little shut eye with your bunny?

Is it play time yet?

too much!

I love seeing these kind of pictures. So far, our little guy is into cars only .

Wax on:

Sleep it off:

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Great stuff. Does Barnett Bicycle Institute offer scholarships? Sign her up and make her earn her keep!
    Don't harsh my mello

Hairy man
    That's so adorable.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Being a Dad is the BEST! Our little girl is 19 mo and makes my day every day.

I recently built up an old Cannondale Ridgid as the "Kenna Carrier" (Kenna's our daughters name . I use it for hill workouts around the neighborhood...nothing like hearing those squeals on the downhills!!

I'm stoked for all you guys- congratulations!

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipV
    Being a Dad is the BEST! Our little girl is 19 mo and makes my day every day.

I recently built up an old Cannondale Ridgid as the "Kenna Carrier" (Kenna's our daughters name . I use it for hill workouts around the neighborhood...nothing like hearing those squeals on the downhills!!!
    I get a kick out of "Faster, Faster" from the trailor after we've just done 10 miles and then a couple hours at the playground. I try "I'm doin' the best I cahn, cap'n", but I don't think she get's Star Trek jokes.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    When mine was young I used to try and sneak out an early morning ride. It never failed though, if she heard me go into the closet or saw me with any bike gear in hand the next thing you would hear was "bike! bike! bike!" and she'd be coming around the corner with her little helmet in hand. At that point it wasn't a "sneak" ride, it was a daddy-daughter ride.

Years later we still "sneak" out for those rides before anyone else gets up.

Are you talking to me?

I look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerr
    When mine was young I used to try and sneak out an early morning ride. It never failed though, if she heard me go into the closet or saw me with any bike gear in hand the next thing you would hear was "bike! bike! bike!" and she'd be coming around the corner with her little helmet in hand. At that point it wasn't a "sneak" ride, it was a daddy-daughter ride.

Years later we still "sneak" out for those rides before anyone else gets up.

My kids are 5 and 3, and they are nuts about anything bike. (Go figure)

They enjoy rock climbing and hide+seek, also.
    gfy

those are Rollercams...
    Awesome pics!!!

Best thing I ever did in my life was becoming a parent...and I did it twice!

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004
    My guys (5 & 7 y/o) were cleaning my bike up the other day, but I didn't realize it until yesterday when I went for a hand full of brake on my first good sized decent and didn't have any! After doing a little "interview" with them, I learned that they did a real good job wiping down the chain then they did a real good job wiping down my brake rotors. I couldn't even get angry with them if I tried, they're such beautiful kids with big hearts. Hell, I needed new pads anyways.
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    My little one.

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Wonderful pictures!

My two year old has shown an interest in bikes. In a garage full of her toys, she always makes a beeline for my bicycles. When I take her to the LBS, she goes bonkers with all the bikes and wheels around.

We enjoy trailering, too. If I stop, or I'm going too slow, she starts to complain, and I usually get an excited squeal when I'm going fast.

Like you, I can't wait for the day that we can ride together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    I get a kick out of "Faster, Faster" from the trailor after we've just done 10 miles and then a couple hours at the playground. I try "I'm doin' the best I cahn, cap'n", but I don't think she get's Star Trek jokes.
    I get the kicking all the time from my 23 month old during the climbs. It is to funny. Like the others he has to "help" me while getting ready, either checking to make sure the freewheel is working properly, or if the bike is in the stand, making sure the wheels spin correctly.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

here today

Littlest mountain biker

Quote Originally Posted by SaxMan
    Wonderful pictures!

My two year old has shown an interest in bikes. In a garage full of her toys, she always makes a beeline for my bicycles. When I take her to the LBS, she goes bonkers with all the bikes and wheels around.

We enjoy trailering, too. If I stop, or I'm going too slow, she starts to complain, and I usually get an excited squeal when I'm going fast.

Like you, I can't wait for the day that we can ride together.
    My youngest just turned one today, she a biker, says so on the card!
    old fart cyclist

I like to ride my bike.

Smile Can I hire her?

It looks like she's better at fixing bikes than I am. Looks like she's old enough to ride.
    I'll give her $20 an hour.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Members who have read this thread: 0