mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Cold weather gear

I am looking for a good wind resistant jacket, sweater, or shirt. I have everyting else I need for the cold, just need a good windstopper that won't break the bank...
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

bi-winning
    Cold means different things in different places. What temperature range are you planning to be riding in?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

My spelling is atroshus
    Any run of the mill, cheap wal-mart windbreaker jacket will do.

........or you could go down to the local bike shop, spending upwards of $100 on the fancy windbreaker with the fancy bike name on it. (that's what I did)

IMO, Bike clothing has got to be one of the biggest $hams known to man.

Granny Gear Abuser
    I bought a $20 jacket from Sam's. Said H2O proof on it. That on top of a couple water wicking layers with some cotton over that has turned into a pretty good 15* with winds into the 30mph range and about 8" of fresh stuff laying around top layer jacket. I just rode in it yesterday. The only thing I could think of needing is a bit more warmth around the mid section.from where the wind comes up from the bottom. Maybe a drawstring. I will have to see if it has one and report back tomorrow.
    I am not worn out, I am just taking my bike for a walk!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a patagonia traverse.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=24996-0-602

A little on the pricey side, but it was a gift. The jacket fits true to size and has been amazing. It has literally replaced my columbia winter jacket. I'm with RBowles ^^^ though, cycling specific clothing isn't worth it. That's why I went with Patagonia, all around use and fantastic quality

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Remember that cotton kills and layers are your friend. Although you may be inclined to get some kind of nylon shell with fleece attached on the inside, it will be more versatile to get a separate shell and insulating layer.

With shells, I always have to choose whether I am going to get wet from the inside or the outside. Waterproof/"breathable" shells rarely breathe that well for me when I am doing a high-exertion activity like bicycling. Windproof/nonwaterproof shells breathe better put will get saturated more quickly.

Ryan

Des(s)ert Rat
    Rode in 10 degrees today. I used two layers of tights (one Polartec), neoprene booties over my bike shoes, ski gloves, a windstopper earband, Pearl Izumi undershirt, Polartec fleece jersey, Patagonia windproof jacket, and I was fine.

mtbr member
    Endura makes nice ones, expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Our normal high for winter averages 60. But I do not have a windshirt type of thing for weeks like this one where the high tomorrow will be 39 with a 10 mph wind. I agree that some bike clothers (or clothes in general) are a rip off!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wear under armor or tight on as a base layer, then a loose fleece or insulating layer. then windbreaker and waterproof shell over. That usually does the trick.

I got a Kelty rain jacket that is compact that I bought at Target and it does a good job keep wind and water off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Two words: Merino Wool.

A merino base layer stays dry no matter what! And it doesn't stink either.

The Shimano MW80 winter shoes are expensive, but if riding in the snow for 4 months of the year is your only option, they pay themselves off pretty quickly.

Cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Over the Hill
    On some remote rides I take full gore-tex with me but that is more for if something happens. Normal riding anything that stops the rain and I just get wet from within unless it is very cold. I am more inclined to bring extra smart wool jersey with me to change into...I have found nothing for wet and cold works like merino wool. For warmth I rely heavily on arm/leg warmers and fleece vests.

Dean

surly inbred
    Whoa, whoa. Whoa. Hold on. Hooooold on.

Passion? Clothes? Mention a lack of clothing & we can talk shop. The nice overlords at mtbr'dom have gone so far as to provide us with an appropriate forum for "how do I put my pants on?" type stuff. Sheeesh, next thing you know some joker's gonna ask about 1x9 in the Singlespeed forum. Crazy.

Fock.... I think the shack nasties are creeping in already.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjim57
    Endura makes nice ones, expensive.
    Agreed. I love the Endura, tough as hell too. Sharp dead and broken cedar branch tried to rip into me hard on a turn where my tire snagged on major frost heaving in the trail. Not the slightest mark on the shell, let alone any tearing of the fabric.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    I am looking for a good wind resistant jacket, sweater, or shirt. I have everyting else I need for the cold, just need a good windstopper that won't break the bank...
    These work well, just not alot of sizes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...00008.m2000041

Apr 2007
    I rode last week, 19 degrees, overcast with some snow dustings throughout the day. I just had on a thermal top, heavy cotton long-sleeve, baggie shorts, soccer socks pulled up to the knees, fleece gloves over regular mtb glvoes, and duct tape on my shoes. No complaints. But one thing I will do is get one of those covers for the helmet (or duct tape). My head got cold on a road decent back to the house. I also carry a magazine/newspaper to put under the front of my shirt if I get cold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Are you riding in open spaces, or in dense woods? It's woodsy around here, so pretty well sheltered (even when leaves are off the trees), and I prefer not to wear a wind stop layer because you get wet from the inside. If I'm riding hard, 2 base layers and a fleece vest work for me down to 20 degrees.

I have an expensive bicycle-specific neon-yellow wind jacket for when I ride on the road and it's cold, but it still gets wet inside, so I can't recommend it.

If you ride in more open/windy locations and still want a wind jacket, l would look for something that has arm pit zippers or breathable panels under the arms. I have also seen some nice jackets (bike- or x-c ski-specific and expensive) that have breathable panels or flaps covering mesh on the back. Basically, I would go for something that you can ventilate if you overheat.

Members who have read this thread: 0