mtbr member
    Jul 2005

City Winter Riding

I posted this on the Wisconsin forum too:

So yesterday we got 20 inches in downtown Milwaukee. I took the dog out for a walk and while on the walk saw two guys riding their mountain bikes in the street. I could see that one of these bikes was a top end Trek. Don't these bikes get ruined by the salt on the road? The streets are loaded with salt. What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Nothing! That is too damn cold to be on a bike! It is a balmy 22 here while our normal temp is 45 this time of the day. I have no plans to get on a bike till it gets into the 40s!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

mtbr member
    20" of snow is just crazy, and even with 5" of snow the first day or two can be pretty crappy. But I do love my winter commutes.

(although my winter bike is a crappy beater. And next year it will be a rigid 29er.)

Off the back...
    Pffft. If you can ride in the snow, then you can ride in the snow. Regular salt, NaCl, is bad for steel but won't do anything major to carbon or Al. CaCl is bad for steel and Al but won't hurt carbon.

Don't fear the snow! Embrace it!

[Also, HTFU. It was -40 with the windchill on Monday - ]
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    I posted this on the Wisconsin forum too:

So yesterday we got 20 inches in downtown Milwaukee. I took the dog out for a walk and while on the walk saw two guys riding their mountain bikes in the street. I could see that one of these bikes was a top end Trek. Don't these bikes get ruined by the salt on the road? The streets are loaded with salt. What am I missing?

Yes salt can be very damaging to bikes, you need to wash it off say once a week, I ride 5 days a week in the winter.

Some equipment stands up well some doesn't....

Typically the high end stuff usually does much better than the lower end stuff....

Sealed cartridge bearings seem to work better than cup and cone..ISIS bbs are worthless, Externall BBs with good bearings last well, a nickle plated chain CN-77001 will last an entire winte.

Members who have read this thread: 0