mtbr member

Carrying your camera

For those that don't wear a pack of any sort, how do you carry your camera?

My jersey pockets get pretty full when I'm out for a full day. I was searching for an alternative way to carry a camera, but I'm not so sure there is one. Another problem with a jersey pocket is sweat, and there is enough of that to ruin my camera for sure.

Has anybody come up with an alternative to carrying a pack?
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    I was wondering this today, as well. I wanted to take my XSi, but there was no way that was fitting in the pocket....so camera phone it was.
    2010 Motobecane 700 HT
    Thrill of the Ride - Automotive Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Are you against wearing a pack? There was a thread about this just a couple days ago, but it was regarding different packs....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'll take one of these Mountain Feed bags to carry my cell phone, camera, keys etc. http://epicrideresearch.com/

mtbr member
    Otterbox...

mtbr member
    Back in the day I carried a point and shoot camera in a tool bag (under the seat). I stuffed the camera in a Crown Royal bag then stuffed it under the seat.

Traditional film cameras didn't hold up to the pounding to well. I'd think a cheap digital would work better.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvt
    Are you against wearing a pack? There was a thread about this just a couple days ago, but it was regarding different packs....
    Hate packs and never wear them unless forced to.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Ride & Smile
    KanzaKrūzer
    Salsa Warbird | Kona Unit

High Desert MTBer
    hating packs must cut down your riding potential some? I dont have any good ideas if you do not want to wear anything like that.

Retro on Steroids
    I don't carry a backpack. I wear cargo shorts over my bibs, with suspenders under my jersey to keep the crotch from hanging over the nose of the saddle. I have lots of pockets. I even carry a tiny tripod along with my camera.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc
    hating packs must cut down your riding potential some? I dont have any good ideas if you do not want to wear anything like that.
    Well, no not really. But thanks for posting to add nothing to the thread
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    pentax optio w90 comes with a carabiner and is pretty rugged. waterproof too. check it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    Well, no not really. But thanks for posting to add nothing to the thread
    Not trying to give you a hard time, but on really long hot rides, how do you carry enough water along with all the other stuff you might need? I came from a roadie background and have no problem stuffing the jersey pockets full. But after a couple summer rides where I ran out of water, I decided a camelback and sweaty back was a better way to go. Just sayin...

In your case, have you looked at some sort of bar mounted bag for your camera?

saddlemeat
    I carry my ps camera in a small bag that attaches to my seatpost. It's very convenient to access the camera. Mine was designed to attach to a backpack strap but velcros around the seatpost just fine.

Like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rToReadReviews
    Last edited by bsieb; 03-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Not trying to give you a hard time, but on really long hot rides, how do you carry enough water along with all the other stuff you might need? I came from a roadie background and have no problem stuffing the jersey pockets full. But after a couple summer rides where I ran out of water, I decided a camelback and sweaty back was a better way to go. Just sayin...

In your case, have you looked at some sort of bar mounted bag for your camera?
    There are several solutions I have come up with. Planning is the major thing. The places I ride the most are public parks/ forest areas. These all have water if you know where to find it. If I'm going on a long, back country excusion that a camelback of some sort is needed.

I'm now thinking some sort of stem mounted bag may be the way to go. I would like to attach it to me somehow, but there just doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this and keep the camera somewhat safe.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I'm now thinking some sort of stem mounted bag may be the way to go. I would like to attach it to me somehow, but there just doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this and keep the camera somewhat safe.
    For stem mounted, you could use the mountain feedbag. I've got a buddy that'll zip tie his camera case to his top tube as well. Personally, I keep mine in my hip pocket on my osprey pack when I'm wearing it, or on a side thigh pocket on my shorts when I'm not.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There are several solutions I have come up with. Planning is the major thing. The places I ride the most are public parks/ forest areas. These all have water if you know where to find it. If I'm going on a long, back country excusion that a camelback of some sort is needed.

Gotcha.

That worked for me as a roadie. I would scout for drinking fountains and faucets along routes. Tennis courts and schools are almost always good.

I've seen folks on century rides with a top tube mounted box called a "Bento box". Nice little container that can hold some bars and gels, or a small digital camera. And I've seen touring bags that go on handlebars.

As to keeping it on your body, how about a shoulder strap, sort of like a bandoleer? That way you could clip the case to your chest, for easy grabs when a photo opportunity came along. I've seen folks clip phones and cameras to the shoulder straps on packs, so this would be similar without the pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    As to keeping it on your body, how about a shoulder strap, sort of like a bandoleer? That way you could clip the case to your chest, for easy grabs when a photo opportunity came along. I've seen folks clip phones and cameras to the shoulder straps on packs, so this would be similar without the pack.
    I'm looking for such a thing. Not sure exactly how it would work out as it would need to be snug to prevent excessive moving around.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Jason
    I usually carry a DSLR in a heavilly padded trunk bag. Works great.
    Jason

turtles make me hot
    In the winter, I actually carry my camera in my sleeve with the wrist band around... Well, my wrist. The Trek jacket I use in winter has tight enough cuffs for this and my camera is pretty small. I sometimes also hang it around my neck on a lanyard, but again, only with a jacket to stow it in. In hot weather, I really have no good way to carry it where I can access it quickly unless I happen to have shorts with cargo pockets on. Then, it's just the luck of the laundry draw.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30
    I usually carry a DSLR in a heavilly padded trunk bag. Works great.
    Dude, you have a trunk on your bike? Sounds sweet but not sure it is for me
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    In a Hawg when I carry it(DSLR)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ottonator
    In a Hawg when I carry it(DSLR)
    Did you read a single post in this thread
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I carry my stupid little point n shoot (nikon coolpix s210) in one of these

banned

I have read every post in this thread.

Even the two posts where the OP, some "DavidR1" wanker, whines about people who have responded to his inane, ill-defined request for suggestions.

My suggestion: don't carry any camera with you.The internet doesn't need any more crappy snapshots added to the visual pollution that already plagues it.

Failing that, please attach a camera to your stem so we can hear you whine when it gets shaken into uselessness after a bit of riding.

Jason
    Dude, you have a trunk on your bike? Sounds sweet but not sure it is for me
    Well, I call it a trunk bag. I use this bike for touring type rides. Nothing too technical or jarring and the bag on the rack works perfectly.

Jason

High Desert MTBer
    People try and help and you diss them? I am quite glad you don't carry a pack... less chance of bumping into you out on the trails where you probably will need to be willing and able to carry a pack of some sort...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    In all seriousness, attaching a nice camera to your bike is not a good idea unless in a padded case(even then not so safe). Whether it's mounted on the stem, seat post, or frame, it will get banged around more than it should. If you really want to safely carry a camera then use a pack of some sort. I am not saying there isn't another way of carrying a camera, just that a pack is best way, imo. I carry a full frame SLR with other gear in my camelbak, even if I have no use for the hydration pack itself that day. It is the best way to keep an investment like a camera safe and secure. my .2

saddlemeat
    I've carried a P&S in a seatpost bag on every ride I've done since about 2000, and have never experienced any damage to a camera despite some spectacular bike flying through the air mishaps. On both fsr and hardtail and rigid bikes. Including a tour down the Dempster Highway in Nunavut and Yukon Territory. A few rub marks maybe... nothing more serious. I now line it with a fleece bag and no rub marks either. I have, on the other hand, landed hard on my back on my Camelback a number of times, fortunately never with my dslr in it. Camera damage is the new sky is falling...
    I ride with the best dogs.

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    I carry my stupid little point n shoot (nikon coolpix s210) in one of these

Basically that is what I do. Than I attach the camera bag to the front chest strap of my camelbak. Easy to take out when needed to and for the most part, safe from impact, unless I slam into a tree head-on or something ( i guess, but my bag has some good cushion around protecting the camera. lol.

I used to carry a DSLR, but no more, pain in the A$$ to remove and takes more time to get it ready and shoot. Either way, I don't like to stay put too much. When I ride, I like to keep moving .

These P&S cameras shoots stunning pictures and with the lastest programs out there by ADOBE offers, you can do lots of correction if needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    An important piece of the puzzle is what type of camera the OP is talking about. A P&S camera has many options because of the size and durability. A DSLR camera...not so much. I don't think "camera damage is the new "sky falling"". If you're not worried about damaging a camera then you didn't pay for it or its too cheap to worry about. I would strongly suggest you don't take your DSLR unless its in a backpack within a carrying case. If you're against a backpack then don't take your DSLR.

born to chill
    Something you could consider is the Maxpedition Rat Wallet (https://www.google.com/search?source...8&q=rat+wallet) you could just attach it to your bars and pop a small point and shoot in there. I have one of these and it is pretty awesome, supremely tough, and basically cheap. I carry a camelback on most of the rides where I'd want a camera, but when I don't I just stick the cam in my front pocket. Just something else to consider.

FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedMCMLXXIX
    I would strongly suggest you don't take your DSLR unless its in a backpack within a carrying case..
    I would strongly disagree about the carrying case bit.

Members who have read this thread: 0