E !

Cool-blue Rhythm Blue Diamond Epic (long)

This year MATTBIKEBOY took it upon himself to continue the annual tradition of the blue diamond ride.Check out the wbsite www.BARTA-NV.com for details. Usually the ride is a point to point. Blue Diamond to Jean Nv. However, the fires this year destroyed the cottonwood area. No permits for activities are being issued for a few years to come. As a side note i asked about the local races. From the promoters mouth"There are no scheduled Vegas races for 2006" Lame! So MATTBIKEBOY hosted a informal gathering of riders to a 28 mile ride with 2,500 feet of climbing(seemed like it was all climbing). The turn out was about 50 riders i'm guessing. All level of riders and a dog also. I teamed up with fellow mtbr member REDMON, for the lenght of the ride. Withen the first few miles the group bottlenecked on a g-out,kinda like a natural 1/2 pipe, about 20-30 ft. deep. One after another we went down while others watched on. The group quickly spread out and me and REDMON were out alone. A couple on tandem was tearing it up through some pretty rocky stuff up ahead. Then through a sandtrap we grinded uphill to our first rest area. From there it was all flowing single track to a mild climb that we just grinded along for a few miles. Once we reached the highway to crossover , the main group of riders had gathered. After crossing the road we climbed up red valley. This is where all the fire damage is. A quick stop at the overlook and all the riders were guessing wich way to be going. The intended route is called bonnie and clyde. So off we go following the signage. Bonnie and clyde is a hardly ridden trail. It is i think a horse trail that parallels a wash that goes from atop cottonwood valley and descendsLight usage of this word here) back to Blue Diamond. So at the B and C trail turn-off more riders are wondering exactly how to get to the single track. A group takes off ahead of us down the dirt road. We follow shortly after but they are no where in sight.

Now then this is where our epic starts. The road dumops into a really loose rocky wash. Finally we see the markers for the ST. The trail is so badly washed out at some spots and at others it dissapears. I don't have a computer on my bike but REDMON says we have been riding about 3 hours. My total estimated ride time. Oh well. A younger guy is riding along with us and he only has one small water bottle. We all work together to keep our direction sense active. The cool thing is we got to see a group of wild horses with a stallion getting all aggro towards us. We stayed our distance and just watched. When we think we are closer back to the highway we are finally caught up by 2 other riders. They have no idea were we are at also. Oh well! Off we go we then come to the power line jeep road. Shoot we have to climb up and out of here to get back to the road. At this point it is the 5 of us and about 4 hours of riding. No others are within site looking back or ahead. At this point all of us have bonked and are mostly walking up the short but steep uphill sections. Finally get to the road and cross. Fumble our way through a loose sandy wash and hit some known ST. We then just go all out with what is left and make it back in just under 5 hours. To finish up i have been off the bike for about 6 weeks due to an knee problem. I think i'm gonna be hurting tomorrow LOL!
    P.S> Matt, you owe me a hamburger. (just kidding.)
    Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the - E - dog

E !

Cool-blue Rhythm A few more pics

The wild horses. I guess we can call this an epic ride. I feel totally hammered but in the same sense feel great inside. Matt, lets try another route next year.
    the - E - dog

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    that view looks about the same as the view i remember from the backside of some of the outer bootleg canyon loops...am i correct?

E !

This is cottonwood valley

Quote Originally Posted by hardrockmtn
    that view looks about the same as the view i remember from the backside of some of the outer bootleg canyon loops...am i correct?
    These trails are about 20 miles southwest of Vegas. Bootleg is located south east.
    the - E - dog

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    hmm, looks nice though
    i got up before dawn one morning, hopped on a bus, and 2 hours later waited until a shop opened up at bootleg just so i could rent a rig and ride it
    we were visiting from bama for a few days...i couldn't pass it up
    think you could hook a brother up with gear if i'm ever back in that part of the world?

desert dweller
    Some of my photos from todays adventure. If you see one you like -- PM me your email address and I'll shoot you over a higher resolution version.

Anyway, I don't know if I made a bunch of new friends today -- or if I'll be parking my truck in the garage for the next month and cowering with my wife and kids in our closet. It was a beautiful day for a ride in the hills outside of Las Vegas. Temps in the 70s and no breeze at all. My GPS reported that we climbed 3146 feet, rode 28.5 miles, max speed 25.9 and had a trip time of 5:40 including photo stops, breaks, chats, etc.

MTBR regulars that we saw on the hill today: E!, Redmon, jmitchell, mahgnillig, lisar (?).

mbb
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 11-13-2005 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Revised stats from GPS

desert dweller
    Some more:

desert dweller
    Still More:

desert dweller
    More:

Young, Shawn Young
    BC trail needs alot of work although there are some promising spots. There was some confusion at the BC start as to which way to go. We chose the powerline road option which is pretty tiring when you have to start back up towards Latenight Trailhead. Still, as Eric says, the satisfaction of finishing that type of ride makes it worth it.

We had a guy with us that had only brought a water bottle with him and was bonking pretty hard. It was a bit tiring just keeping him motivated to keep going and truth be told he did pretty damn good. I hope everyone made it out ok, especially newcomers to the sport and area of which there were at least a few.

Thanks Matt for putting the whole thing together. Im sure it cant be easy to paln for everything that might happen or go wrong in an event like that. Heck, I even ran out of water as I got back to the bike shop and I had 100 ounces A pretty good ride considering I only had about 2 hours sleep and then had to go to work tonight to boot

Lets get together soon for some trailwork, preferably mid-afternoon for us vampires,

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

banned
    Nice photo's....it is great when you have that many people riding.

L1MEY
    Whee! That ride was loooong... in fact almost twice as long as any distance I've ridden off road before. I think I clocked just over 11 miles of climbing before I reached the top of Red Valley. Going up Red Valley after already riding up for 10 miles totally kicked my butt... but I figured it was mostly downhill from then on, so I kept going. I was way at the back, so I kept my snack breaks to a minimum hoping to catch somebody. At this point my front brake was driving me nuts... squealing like it was in pain... I had to rig it with an elastic band to make it stop

Add me to the number who got lost at the Bonnie & Clyde trail. I started following the bits of orange tape that were pegged on to the joshua trees, but soon realised that I was just about to add another 10 miles to my ride if I went that way. I backtracked and took the jeep road down into the valley, took another couple of wrong tuns trying to track bike tyres in the gravel, but finally found the right trail. Wow, it seriously needs some work. If I hadn't known I was the last person heading down there I would have drawn some arrows in the gravel... in some places the trail was completely indistinguishable from the rest of the desert, and I drifted off the trail on quite a few occasions without even realising it. Once I got to the section that was washed out I started really having to track... stopping every now and again to locate tyre tracks or footprints. Then, miracle of miracles I came across three other riders who were fixing a flat (Linda, Mary and Kevin). At least I was now lost in the desert in a group rather than on my own

Once we got going again we pretty much followed the wash until we hit another jeep trail. We stayed on that trail for miles, occasionally spotting the Strip hotels through gaps in the mountains... at least we could see civilization! Eventually we crested a hill and spotted the powerlines in the distance, so we knew we were heading for the road. We didn't turn up the hill, just kept going straigth until we joined up with SR160 just before Avery Street (about a mile from the gas station). Since we were mostly out of water, gels and snacks we decided just to head back to Blue Diamond on the road rather than going uphill to find the trail, and arrived just in time for burgers

By the time I got back to Blue Diamond my computer read 26.6 miles... but it sucks and doesn't register information if you're walking, so it was probably closer to 28 (I walked up some of Red Valley and through some of the washes). I had completely run out of water (70oz camelbak) and was glad I took a bottle of Gatorade in my cage... that was almost gone too. I was riding for approximately 5 1/2 hours! All in all I'm very glad I did it, and everything except the bit I got lost was great fun... let me say that usually I don't mind being lost, but I was tired and bonking, so I minded very much at that time

- Jen (looking forward to doing some trail work in that wash)
    Ride like a girl!

desert dweller
    That last big rain several weeks ago really did a number on the Bonnie & Clyde section. When KRob and I rode it - once we found BC it wasn't too hard to follow. Yesterday, I was hoping that people would have waited up for the slower riders to catch up -- so I could guide them down Bonnie and Clyde - except then they would have been out nearly 6 hours as well. .

The washes all filled with runoff and obscured, erased, deleted the trail that weaved through them. Since I've ridden the trail twice in the past month I knew where it was supposed to be -- but sometimes it has completely washed away. The last section of the BC loop from the abandoned truck (most riders didn't go that way) was awesome, washed away, awesome, washed away, awesome. It was a narrow singletrack with fresh grass growing all around -- it didn't look like Las Vegas and ended with a technical climb parralling the powerline road near the Latenight trailhead.

mbb
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 11-13-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I didn't know there was SCUBA diving near Las Vegas. Cool!

Looks like you all had fun.

E !

uh gear?

Quote Originally Posted by hardrockmtn
    hmm, looks nice though
    i got up before dawn one morning, hopped on a bus, and 2 hours later waited until a shop opened up at bootleg just so i could rent a rig and ride it
    we were visiting from bama for a few days...i couldn't pass it up
    think you could hook a brother up with gear if i'm ever back in that part of the world?
    Sorry , can't help you with that. I am up for being a tour guide though.
    the - E - dog

E !

Your crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    BC trail needs alot of work although there are some promising spots. There was some confusion at the BC start as to which way to go. We chose the powerline road option which is pretty tiring when you have to start back up towards Latenight Trailhead. Still, as Eric says, the satisfaction of finishing that type of ride makes it worth it.

We had a guy with us that had only brought a water bottle with him and was bonking pretty hard. It was a bit tiring just keeping him motivated to keep going and truth be told he did pretty damn good. I hope everyone made it out ok, especially newcomers to the sport and area of which there were at least a few.

Thanks Matt for putting the whole thing together. Im sure it cant be easy to paln for everything that might happen or go wrong in an event like that. Heck, I even ran out of water as I got back to the bike shop and I had 100 ounces A pretty good ride considering I only had about 2 hours sleep and then had to go to work tonight to boot

Lets get together soon for some trailwork, preferably mid-afternoon for us vampires,

Shawn
    I figured you would be calling into work last night.
    the - E - dog

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I didn't know there was SCUBA diving near Las Vegas. Cool!

Yup, they dive near the dam......(really)
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

desert dweller
    Quote Originally Posted by treadheadted
    Who was the coordinator of this ride? Hindsight is 20/20, but since this is obviously a planned annual event that invites all comers, maybe someone should have checked whether or not everyone had enough food and water. Some may lack the experience, knowledge and common sense to bring enough water on a mountain bike ride in the desert and an organized ride should be prepared and coordinated enough to safeguard these people. It definitely would have made the ride less tiring for you and he.

I guess I could have gone around and checked everyone's water, food & fitness level. If we would have been running the normal Blue Diamond to Jean event. We would have had aid stations every 7 or 8 miles where people could get refueled or trucked out if they gave up. But on that ride we charge people $45 or more and have to have 25-30 volunteers to staff all the stations, the lunch and the registration. We couldn't get those volunteers this year so I just decided to throw a non-event. We had plenty of energy gels, power bars, luna bars and water around for people to take -- and I still have tons of that stuff afterward.

The one thing that I would have done if I got a volunteer would have been to send that volunteer to the top of the mountain with water and some energy foods. But as it was, I still had water and food in my pack when I finished (2nd to last).

mbb
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 11-13-2005 at 04:19 PM.

desert dweller
    Here is the map and profile for you tech heads.
    Last edited by mattbikeboy; 11-13-2005 at 02:33 PM.

desert dweller
    Okay, so who's up for the night ride version?

matt

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    Here is the map and profile for you tech heads.
    Nice map! So, we were only off the route by about a half mile at the end. We didnt chug all the way up to the tunnel, we found the old spanish trail and headed DOWN

Shawn

L1MEY
    Who was the coordinator of this ride? Hindsight is 20/20, but since this is obviously a planned annual event that invites all comers, maybe someone should have checked whether or not everyone had enough food and water. Some may lack the experience, knowledge and common sense to bring enough water on a mountain bike ride in the desert and an organized ride should be prepared and coordinated enough to safeguard these people. It definitely would have made the ride less tiring for you and he.
    To be fair, there were plenty of gels, bars and drinks to be had at the beginning of the ride, and most people took advantage of them (including me, even though I had brought along plenty of other supplies as well). I think the sheer length of the ride was what surprised a lot of people, and since there's only so much water you can carry, even those who came well prepared were low by the end.

- Jen.
    Ride like a girl!

L1MEY
    I think we eventually came out onto 160 right where the "160" is on the map... then rode down the hill and back to Blue Diamond via the road.

- Jen.
    Ride like a girl!

Young, Shawn Young

matt
    Lol, we were actually joking about the fact that you and Krob were out there scouting the trail at night. Remind me to pack a few beers in my camelbak for that one

desert dweller
    It wasn't fair to Redmon to have to babysit someone who should have been checked on before the ride. His comment about the situation being "trying" was the nice way to say PITA, when he obviously came to ride. It doesn't take but a minute or two to ask a few dozen people how much water they have. Did the ride leader address the group before the ride with route information, water/food requirements, and desert etiquette?

My point is that one ill-prepared person can jepoardize the safety of a whole group. Waiting for someone to catch up repeatedly can keep a whole group out on the trail even longer, depleting their water and food supplies to a point that can place everyone in danger. Having to share their water with the person who was not checked on only makes the situation worse.
    You're right. Baby sitting a inexperienced rider sucks. Most everyone was aware what the ride was from the start -- there were a few riders that were suprised how long 26 miles is on a mountain bike and couple that were unprepared. That is nearly always the case in events I've participated in.

At the ride meeting I went over the course we would be taking and 75% of the trails are very familiar by local riders. B&C was severly washed out in places by the rains several weeks ago but I mentioned that the trail parallels the dirt road all the way down and the last couple miles the dirt road is the designated trail and to watch for the power lines (there is only one transmission line out there).

Next time I'll be sure to remind people that this is a long freakin' ride and everyone make sure you have enough water and supplies - I figured everyone was aware by the name and by the information floating around about the ride.

Below is how I posted on mtbr and my flyer:
    What:
    25+ mile Epic Adventure ride through Cottonwood. We'll provide breakfast & some energy food (er.. supplements)!

Everyone is welcome. But come prepared for a 4+ hour ride with 2500 feet of climbing (if you complete the entire loop). We are riding familiar trails with many bail-out options to fit all fitness levels. Remember -- With 9 miles of climbing to begin, it's nearly all downhill back.

desert dweller
    I definately tried not to suprise anyone with the difficulty. People learn from their mistakes (hopefully) and get wiser. I had a blast on the ride, even though I was riding in the rear watching riders -- instead of the front guiding where I was hoping to be. All the riders that I talked to had fun, they were whupped, but they had fun in the "shew, I' just rode 28 miles on my mountain bike" kinda way.

It's amazing how few people get out for rides longer than an hour at a time.

mbb

E !

Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Lol, we were actually joking about the fact that you and Krob were out there scouting the trail at night. Remind me to pack a few beers in my camelbak for that one
    More like a 12 pack and a wiffle ball bat to knock Matt upside the head. (Just giving you a hard time.)

treadhedted.
    As for The support of the ride. I think Matt did all he could muster. All the local riders seem to want to have nothing to do with supporting the mtb events. As i recall only i and Jen had volunteered support for the original planned event. It was called off because of lack of support plus the whole fire thing. Atleast Matt is motivated enough to keep the wheeels rolling. Also the bike shop wich had volunteered pre-ride support was a no show. Matt vs. bike shop. I'll take Matt. He did announce that the ride was a LOCAL GROUP trail ride and NOT an organized event. Rider beware i guess?
    Last edited by E !; 11-13-2005 at 07:50 PM.
    the - E - dog

L1MEY
    self back-patting by forum members about how good they are.
    WTF is that supposed to mean? You are the one who hijacked this thread with your assumptions when the rest of us here were posting about how much fun we had. Okay so one young guy was badly prepared and didn't bring enough water, but he was offered gels, energy bars and drinks at the beginning of the ride just like everyone else. He was also told the route, just like everyone else. And if he was aware of the ride in the first place he probably read the poster advertising it, which clearly stated the time, distance and amount of climbing that was anticipated, and the fact that riders could easily turn back whenever they wanted. Your kind of attitude is just typical of the cotton-wool-minded litigation-hungry America which is making all of our lives more complicated and expensive than necessary. Please just get off your high horse and leave it alone.

- Jen.
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member

matt
    I thought we already did that. Looks like a great ride. Did most of the people who started finish the whole thing? It looks like you got quite a diverse assortment of riders. Great to see some of the younger kids out there.

I thought about you guys as I was heading out to the prison. It was a beautiful day.

desert dweller
    I think about a quarter of the people cut across the bottom and rode into Blue Diamond on the road like Jen did for 26-27 miles. Then a half rode up the powerline road and finished with 28 or 29 miles and another quarter turned around at or before the top of Red Valley and cruised back down Red Valley through latenight and back to Blue Diamond.

Young, Shawn Young
    I think about a quarter of the people cut across the bottom and rode into Blue Diamond on the road like Jen did for 26-27 miles. Then a half rode up the powerline road and finished with 28 or 29 miles and another quarter turned around at or before the top of Red Valley and cruised back down Red Valley through latenight and back to Blue Diamond.
    It was an excellent ride really. The kid I had to keep an eye on was a real sport.(he probably didnt have any clue that I was worried about him) I was just a bit concerned about the dehydration thing but there never seemed to be any indication that he was suffering from anything other than BONK. Heck I was getting tired myself.

Remind me next time there is an event that I promise to volunteer. I think having a station at the end of the badger pass climb would be a good spot. Meeting a bunch of people after that climb would be interesting.

Jen, sorry I didnt introduce myself but I lost my chance before the ride started. Hope to see ya out there sometime.

Shawn

mtbr member
    I had a great time on the ride - thanks to Matt for organizing it. It was nice to swing in from out of town and have some locals guide me around for the morning. The group I ended up with rode in some pretty rubbly washes for a while and on some fun cruisy single track - it was all fun. I don't think we were lost and we did pass by the abandoned truck on the BC singletrack.

Members who have read this thread: 0