mtbr member

Best trainer for around $150

I am wanting to buy a indoor trainer with a handlebar mounted tension adjuster. What is the best one I can purchase for around $150.

That's ok I'll walk it...
    Performance Bike has some on sale now.

I have the Travel Trac Century Fluid Trainer Plus, you don't need the adjustable tension.

You'll never use it, I don't use the one that came with my trainer. I set it for the hardest setting and use the bike gears to make it easy or hard. Less to worry about or get broken, do stay with the fluid type trainers. I have a non fluid trainer as well and the fluid feels very much like road riding then the non fluid.

Hawkens

Dirt Whore
    This is out of your Price Range, but REI has The Kurt Kinetic Road machine on sale for 229 this weekend, it about 50 bucks cheaper then I paid for it on ebay, and it is a very nice fluid trainer.

banned
    Apr 2004

Don't skimp on price

Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    I am wanting to buy a indoor trainer with a handlebar mounted tension adjuster. What is the best one I can purchase for around $150.
    get a quiet smooth one, some good CDs to, riding the trainer compared to MTBing sucks but it is a necessary evil sometimes and will make the MTB rides longer and stronger.

mtbr member
    I have never used a trainer before, so I don't really know what is good and what is bad. I guess I should have stated that when I posted the thread. Normally during the winter I have time to ride on the weekdays, but since I am going back to school now a trainer is a "necessary evil." I would be willing to spend as much as $200 I guess, but that would be the max amount of cash I could drop.I am not sure which kind to buy, any suggestions?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Take a look at the Minoura Hyper-Mag with the remote. Surprisingly quiet. Works great.

mtbr member
    Which type is better rim or tire? Price Point has Minoura Magturbo 850's with remotes for $129.98 (tire) and $169.98 (rim). Is this similar to the Hypermag?
    Last edited by mb3designs; 11-26-2005 at 07:47 PM.

That's ok I'll walk it...
    Which type is better rim or tire? Price Point has Minoura Magturbo 850's with remotes for $129.98 (tire) and $169.98 (rim). Is this similar to the Hypermag?
    I had the Minoura Rim for about a year and this past winter I purchased a Fluid that uses tire, I am much happier with the tire model. With the rim you can't stand and hammer, alot more resistance offered on the tire models as well.. You can even let a little air out of the tire to increase the resistance some more.

I am using the carimichael Train Right Mountain Bike trainer video and a Up Hill Grind from Spinervals to make the trainer time fly by.

Hawkens

banned
    Apr 2004

Here is the one I got

I have never used a trainer before, so I don't really know what is good and what is bad. I guess I should have stated that when I posted the thread. Normally during the winter I have time to ride on the weekdays, but since I am going back to school now a trainer is a "necessary evil." I would be willing to spend as much as $200 I guess, but that would be the max amount of cash I could drop.I am not sure which kind to buy, any suggestions?
    if the link works

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...t=&referpage=#

It is quiet and feels like real riding resistance but has no handle bar tension adjustment but that is no necessary, you can just change gears for harder or easier.

mtbr member
    That Blackburn is really nice, any problems with fluid leakage?

banned
    Apr 2004

None so far

That Blackburn is really nice, any problems with fluid leakage?
    Approx 3 years and almost 4000 miles.

I've been using my road bike on it, whichever bike you use, make sure and use a super smooth road tire, or it's pretty loud.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate all of your feedback and suggestions. Looks like I will more than likely go with a fluid trainer due to the simple fact that it simulates a more "real riding resistance." By the way, I also posted this thread in the XC racing and training forum and did not get one single f**kin' reply. Last time I ask for advice in there.

Members who have read this thread: 0