Anyone have a replica frame built up?

I am thinking about having a frame made up according to specs from a company that burned bright once but is now long gone. Has anyone tried this? Pleased with the results? I know some of the magic of a bike is the cult of personality or the ethos of the frame shop that made it, but I am just wondering what people's experiences have been.

banned

You would be shocked to find...

...how many so-called high end frames sold in the USA have identical twins all over Asia, South America, and Europe...all in different colors, with different names. Unless a frame is truly made in the USA, using propriety (read exotic) materials exclusive to that builder, than most any frame you see with a "name" can be built by any decent frame builder using the same materials and specs.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhoo
    I am thinking about having a frame made up according to specs from a company that burned bright once but is now long gone. Has anyone tried this? Pleased with the results? I know some of the magic of a bike is the cult of personality or the ethos of the frame shop that made it, but I am just wondering what people's experiences have been.
    Reminds me of the Nontragers (I think) that Rock Lobster made after Bontrager losed it's Santa Cruz shop.

The devils of a particular bike are in the details, materials, geometry, etc. It might be possible from a true custom builder, but it might not be easy. Doing a replica of the Aermet Arrow from years back, or the early Nevil Ti dual suspension might both be techicnally possible, but definitely not easy, nor cheap.

And I don't know if I would limit myself to a true replica. Those Bontragers were nice bikes, but they were limited by a 1" headtube. Similarly lots of bikes back in the day were designed for limited travel (48mm, 63mm etc) and would feel weird, at best, with a true modern fork.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Members who have read this thread: 0