mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Any one ever seen a study done about this?

I was just curious to see if any one has ever seen a comparison to how many miles biking off road would compare to miles running.

For example maybe 25 miles biking off road would = the same amt of energy, calories whatever else for running a half marathon. I know all trails are different but just curious if some one has seen this or something close?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    I was just curious to see if any one has ever seen a comparison to how many miles biking off road would compare to miles running.

For example maybe 25 miles biking off road would = the same amt of energy, calories whatever else for running a half marathon. I know all trails are different but just curious if some one has seen this or something close?
    Compares mountain biking, trail running, hiking, and swimming:

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/2

Edit: I've also heard that 8 miles of road biking equals 1 mile of road running in terms of intensity, although I've never heard a definition for intensity or the basis for this comparison.
    Last edited by lawhoo; 11-16-2005 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    While you could draw comparisons between running and riding in terms of the calories burned and energy expended I can tell you from experience that riding does not substitute for running in preparation for a marathon, or half marathon.

I made this mistake in training for my first marathon. I was loathe to cut back on the mtn biking and rationalized that the cross training was good and that mtn biking provided a similar training regime.

What I found out was that mtn biking was a nice off-day or cross training exercise but I really needed fewer mtn bike miles and more running miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I can tell you from experience that riding does not substitute for running .
    Similarly, back when I used to run, I road my bike 7 miles to a MUT, stashed the bike, ran 5 miles on the trail, then road back home.

I was pretty surprised to realize that, after getting pretty beat on the run, when I got back on the bike I felt totally refreshed. I guess it was because I used different muscles and my biking muscles got a break when I ran and vice versa.

So, I guess this doesn't answer the OP's question but...

Full of holes

A layman's method.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    I tried to equalise several sports, but it was a best guess approach and not at all scientific. I equate 1km running (2 points) with 4kms of riding. I also added 'points' for height gain (1 point per 100m). One hour of running is about 25 points, an hour of flat riding about 15 points. This doesn't take into account differences in terrain. A soccer game is about 25 points. I haven't figured out how to account for downhill skiing or X-country skiing.

I think the only way of doing this scientifically would be to use a heart-rate monitor to count calories, perhaps in combination with a GPS. The forerunner 301 would be a useful tool. If anyone comes up with a good formula, I'd be interested in it.

Members who have read this thread: 0