mtbr member
    May 2004

Answer some questions for me for a paper

Question For Everyone:

I have to write a paper for one of my classes, and being the riderI am, I'm obviously writing it on biking ;-). Anyways, I just want an answer from anyone and everyone who is willing to give one to these questions:

Why did you start mountain biking?
    Why do you continue mountain biking?
    Do you pay attention to pro-mountain bikers?
    What motivates you to mountain bike as opposed to participate in other sports?

Thank you.
    Last edited by twouareks; 11-28-2005 at 11:39 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    1) To tell the truth, I was never really interested in bikes, yes as a kid I learned to ride one but no real passion. At the time I lived in the south of France, so road biking was the thing ... looked boring. But there was some hills and I liked taking the tracks. My parents moved to the Paris area and I forgot completly about biking.
    Then one day, I went on vacation with some friends in the Vosges (East of France) and they took me on a forest track climb ... then the descent. I enjoyed it some much that when I got back I pestered my wife till she agreed we bought 2 mtbs. Cheap ones.
    I busted most of the gears, cranks and brakes by the end of 2 weeks ...
    Changed some parts, bought a new frame (Kona Explosif) enjoyed it, enjoyed it all over France.
    Circumstances made it that the bike got a bit stuck in the back of the garage. I needed a new project, my beautiful wife then suggested I get back on the bike or a bike. That triggered me back on line. I have now built myself a Ventana El Saltamontes and I'm back on the tracks and loving it
    2) I would say that first comes the privilege of riding in the country side. Admiring nature. Going places that look like nobody else has been
    The physical effort is also important, the thrill to accomplish things that I couldn't the week before (you know like hills ...). Also I'm not getting any younger and it's showing off around the waste so this helps.
    3) Not really, I look at magazines, sometimes buy one. But I'm more interested in the parts of a bike than the muscles making them roll
    4) I think there's a different time for all sports. I like team sports very much and join when I can. MTBiking is a little easier at the moment because I've got tracks just outside my front gate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ya didn't say please, but here goes anyways...

1) I started because it looked like fun and being 45 at the time I needed more fun.
    2) I continue to mtn. bike because it's still fun.
    3) No I don't pay attention to pro mtn. bikers.(poorly worded question)
    4) It's fun, good exercise, you meet good people and it's done out of doors.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    Question For Everyone:

I have to write a paper for one of my classes, and being the riderI am, I'm obviously writing it on biking ;-). Anyways, I just want an answer from anyone and everyone who is willing to give one to these questions:

Thank you.
    1. It is fun and a good way to stay in shape.
    2. I continued to Mtn Bike because I keep improving, and it is far easier on your joints than running is.
    3. Pro Mtn bikers have perfected what we all enjoy doing...I guess they give us something to look forward to, if we practice enough.
    4. Mtn bike people are cool. Even on a bad days ride...it is better than a good day doing something else.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    Question For Everyone:
    1. Because of a friend...used to be an avid rock climber...got my first mtb in 1993 and have not climbed much since...
    2. It's my passion
    3. No...maybe sometimes the locals that I know...
    4. I like the outdoor adventure thing and the speed rush...like bc snw boarding / skiing as well...

AndyFSR

New question here. Why Mountain Biking? Why not?

I am 41 years old or young depending on the day and how I feel.

1. Why did I start? I didn't just start, just continued, used to ride early BMX, (Schwinn, Mongoose, FMF) rode ten speed on dirt, rode converted Beach Cruisers on dirt, someone then actually started selling MTB's. That's how I started.
    2. Why do I continue. Don't know, just do. I truely enjoy being out in nature and soaking it all in. I also am a thrill junkie, so I like to jump and ride technical.
    3. I do not follow pro mountain bikers like a rabid fan, though I do read about them in bike mag's, so I do loosely follow them.
    4. I enjoy more than just mountain biking, things like, hiking, soccer, fishing, video games etc. These all fight for time with me.
    Andy
    ...I go downhill like a falling safe...and climb like I'm dragging one.

Bike to the Bone...
    Question For Everyone:

Thank you.
    1. I started because I wanted to do something fun and do some exercise.
    2. I continue because it's FUN.
    3. I think it's good to know what the pro's are doing, specially reading advise or books they publish.
    4. For me, mtb has so many things, it's fun, exilariating, motivating, I found that I like being outdoors, I've met great friends, etc..

Neg reppers r my biatches
    had major surgery putting me on crutches for about 9 months (2001/2002).....depressed about limited ability to be active, friend talked me into biking and have not looked back.

it is literally the ONLY part of my identity that is just mine.....not my wife, not my kids, and not my job, just mine. very, very important to me.

could care less, though i admire them.

seems to hit on all cylinders. it obviously keeps you in shape but there is just something special about being outdoors and not on the road and not in a gym or man-made court of any sort. plus, i love the variety that exists within the sport that keeps me that much more interested (eg, cross country, single speeding, etc.).

MFin' Princess
    In 1994 I was hiking a trail in Colorado and saw some guy, probably about 40 years old, climbing up the trail and manuevering around a tight, rocky switchback. He looked to be in complete physical agony and utterly euphoric. I bought my bike the next day. It was an apple green Specialized Stumpjumper with V brakes and a Judy fork. Needless to say, I haven't hiked since.

There are too many reasons to state, I'd have to write a book. Simply, it becomes part of your life, part of you.

Not much. My ride is about my ride. But good on them.

Physical triumph meets sublime beauty meets continual exhilaration, and they all converge into Zen at one spot on the planet. That spot is the balance point of my ASR. What other sport offers that?

mtbr member

Back in the early 90s I was training for some killer schools the Army was going to send me to. I was running 10 to 12 miles 3 times a week. A friend told me to try some circuit drills on a bike to supplement my training. I got a bike and gave it a go. I ended up loving the bike and kept riding after the schools were over.

I love being out doors, staying in good shape, and I like the challenge. I have some great friends that I ride with. I got my younger brother who is a hiker to try mountain biking. He is hooked now and we have never been closer.

Not too much.

I don't really look at mountain biking as a sport. It is a fun thing to do. It is really more of a lifestyle than a sport for me.

When I see guys sitting on the couch pounding beer and chips and high fiving each other because an athlete on TV did a great thing, I kind of chuckle to myself. I enjoy doing it, not watching somebody else do it. Watching sports is fine and all, but a lot of those guys couldn't begin to play an active sport because they are not in very good shape. Biking is fun, exciting and healthy.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Dr Gadget is IN
    Question For Everyone:

Thank you.
    Let me preface this by saying that I quit biking as a kid after I outgrew my 20" wheel bike (stingray!) the only option seemed to be dropbar roadie bikes - which were not (and are not) something I am interested in. So.....

Why start? I hit 30 and realized that 1) I was getting soft/fat 2) stationary exercise is boring 3) I don't like running 4) MTB's were now affordable and would be like playing on the stingray in the dirt.

Why continue? I don't want to become a slug - and more importantly it is FUN. Fun to ride and fun to experiment with equipment (gadgets! WooHoo!)

Do I pay attention to pro-mtb'ers? Who?

What motivates you to mountain bike as opposed to participate in other sports? Everyone needs an aerobic activity to survive (at least I do), but all other choices are either a) boring/indoor stuff or b) too high of impact or c) require the participation of others (team sports or even 1on1 b-ball). I note that mtb'ing can be high impact - but only when you crash! rather than like running where its every time your foot hits.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Question For Everyone:

Thank you.

1. I was tweaking the rims on my road bike back in the late 80's. I got my first mountain bike ('90 GT Timberline) in 1990, and instantly got hooked by riding illegal trails, OOPs!! (Griffith Park in Los Angeles).

2. I love the challenges of different trails. Making and having great friends that ride is by far one of the biggest things that keeps things fun and fresh on a familiar trail that can be otherwise boring if you ride alone.

3. Not really, but i have been fortunate to see Tinker ride around a lot

4. Riding a mountain bike gives you so much freedom to ride: alone, with a group, anywhere, everywhere, however, and at whatever time you want if you have the will. What this sport does to you physically, mentally and emotionally in comparison to other sports is incredible. a top-level mountain biker is in way better shape than most any other athlete of another sport.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Question For Everyone:

Thank you.
    I started MTB'ing in the 70's. Old guy cliche I know, but it's true. I lived in rural Texas and we'd piece together pos 20" & 26" schwinns and rip it up all over the hills and creeks and woods. Got into MX and gave pedal bikes up. Rode road bikes some while in the military in the 80's. Fast forward to 89/90 and started MTB'ing again in Antarctica of all places. We had a gas shortage there and if you wanted to get around "town" and the surrounding areas it was on foot or on a bike. That clinched it for me, started doing multi-day backcountry MTB'ing trips and cyclo-touring and I've been at it ever since.

Love it and it's kinda' my job but I don't get out as much as I'd like.

No. I know who they are and I like to watch them ride, but that's about it. I don't try to emulate them worry about what gear they're using. I consider pro cyclists to have careers in outside sales.

There are other sports?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Surfin' da mountain
    During my teens, I BMX raced. I loved it until I bought a car and started dating. In my twenties I didn't ride, but went to school, worked and partied a little too hearty. In my thirties, it was time to get back in shape. Since I loved bicycling so much I bought a cheap MTB and that was it. Passion rekindled!

Today, in my forties, its the love for adventure. Most important to me these days are my family, riding and my work (in that order). I have even picked up road cycling - and its not boring, but prefer MTBing.

Not so much. I know who they are from reading about them in the Bike Mags and seeing races on TV (OLN & FUEL). I wish the TV carried more racing [like Montazuma's Revenge] and/or more MTB adventure shows. I'd prefer more adventure shows like the Hans Rey rides in exotic places (without the snappy Hans Rey commentary ). I could see rides on the Travel Channel showcasing adventures along the Kokopelli Trail or a documentary of the Trans Rockies Challenge.

The adventure of it. I've MTB'd in North Carolina, Utah, and on the Big Island of Hawaii as well as my home trails. I hope to ride Downieville, Whistler and MOAB someday.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    1) I was a kid. Bike got me away from the house, bike got me away from well, everything.
    2) It's still to get away, just from different things. It brings a smile to my face, that's all I need.
    3) Only when I pass them, or (more likely) am passed by them.
    4) I don't need a gym membership, I can go by myself, I can go riding on a $200 bike or a $20000 bike and still smile, it's more fun than hiking, weightlifting, golf, or most other things I've tried. And to go back to number 2... it brings a smile to my face, and that's all I need.

JmZ

Questions For Everyone:

Thank you.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Answers

Question For Everyone:

Thank you.

A college friend took me out for a mtn bike ride and I thought it was fun. Then I moved to an area where there were lots of mtn bike riding opportunites right out my door. (Santa Cruz)

I like to ride. I own both a road and a mtn bike and alternate between the two. I like getting out on the trails, in the woods and so on. I like riding through nature, away from cars, and seeing beautiful places. Some rides or trails are exciting. but even a placid ride in a beautiful place is a good experience. Oh, and the exercise is good for me, mentally and physically.

Well, if I see someone really good on the trails, I may admire their skills, at least while they are in sight. I used to subscribe to one of the cycling magazines, but don't anymore. What the pros do doesn't have much relevance to me, except, as someone noted above, the equipment gets better.

I like boogie boarding, but don't like cold water or locals with bad attitudes in the water. I like snow skiing, both x-country and downhill, but that's expensive and I can only do it a few days a year. Cycling doesn't take a whole team of people, or a court or reservations. You just take the bike outside and ride.

Fooled around w/ mt bikes in college as another way to enjoy the outdoors. Didn't really get that interested until I moved to WV and realized the bounty of trails at my doorstep.

I actually didn't get bitten by the bug until I started DH/FR. That opened up other aspects of the sport and fun that I did not discover from my early XC riding experiences.

I am a fan, particularly of the gravity pros. I don't go out and buy the latest part just because the hot pro rides it, but I do check out race results and video footage. Watching DH racers and pro freeriders is very inspirational to me and stokes me to push myself.

As a rule, mt biking generally takes a backseat to boating and snowboarding, but a dry summer has pushed it more to the forefront. Discovering the simple joys of singlespeeding has been another reason for increased saddle time, and the convenience of great singletrack minutes from my house often makes it a more viable option to spend small blocks of free time (w/a full time job & grad school) than kayaking or heading to the slopes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Ya didn't say please, but here goes anyways...

1) I started because it looked like fun and being 45 at the time I needed more fun.
    2) I continue to mtn. bike because it's still fun.
    3) No I don't pay attention to pro mtn. bikers.(poorly worded question)
    4) It's fun, good exercise, you meet good people and it's done out of doors.

Please.

Long Distance MTB

Here are mine

I started 4 years ago (I think)
    It is a passion now.
    I pay very few attention to pros. A little to local heros and a little to international ones, there are no many ways to keep trake of international ones, but the web.
    I have been a cyclist all my live, an there is a nice race in town each year "Chupacabras", that ignited the passion.

5 x 5

Started as a health thing....

1. I actually started way back in college, bought a rigid GT Timberline. I remember my friend suggesting I buy a seat bag so I'd have somewhere to store my cigarettes. I'd ride to the top of the hill and light up before continuing on. Seriously! When I quit smoking in '01, I knew I'd need a positive reason to stop and remembered how much I'd enjoyed mtn biking. So I bought a bike and subbed riding for smoking. Great decision!

2. Of all the rides I've gone on in the past four years, perhaps five percent haven't been enjoyable. You know, a day I should've been doing something else, or it was too windy, or I had fifteen mechanicals, whatever. Five percent's probably too high a number. Probably more like five rides out of the thousands I've gone on. And every so often, a ride I expect to be kind of ho-hum turns into a magical day in the sun. Riding makes me glad to be alive.

3. Don't pay any attention to professional racers.

4. When I go for a ride I don't have to schedule with anyone else. You can't p[lay basketball by yourself, or baseball. Just the same, I can get together with a group of friends and share a perfect day. Sure, there's the aerobic health and strength benefits, but these used to be more important to me than they are now. Now, I see mtn biking as the perfecct combination of excercise, alone time, harmony with nature, break from the grind, personal challenge, excuse to get outside, excuse to go for a weekend away.... too many reasons to list!

Good luck with your paper.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    May 2005

Need The exercise

Question For Everyone:
    1. Why did you start mountain biking?
    2. Why do you continue mountain biking?
    3. Do you pay attention to pro-mountain bikers?
    4. What motivates you to mountain bike as opposed to participate in other sports?
    1. Running sucks. A bike is fun.

2. Still Fat, Running Still Sucks. The bike is still fun.

3. Never Met one, but if I do, I'm sure I will be interested in what they have to say.

4. Mountain biking gets me outside, not unlike horseback riding, but if I hang a horse in my garage for 6 months it will start to smell, the bike will just need some oil on the chain and air in the tires.

Lets ride bikes...

mtbr member
    1) I've always been into the outdoors... bushwalking (what you'd call hiking), white water rafting, rock climbing, caving etc. At high school a couple of my friends started, but my parents wouldn't let me because it was still "extreme" in those days, but I was always interested. Last year I worked for Outward Bound (taking people bushwalking/climbing/caving) and Kathmandu (bushwalking/travel/adventure equipment retailer) and a lot of the staff were into MTB. A couple years before that I bought a commuter hybrid bike and was riding a lot around the lake (20-30km loop) and riding into the city- all because my doctor said I needed to release endorphins (high heart rate) and cycling because I hate exercising in gyms and running hurts my knees. So I eventually bought a cheapie MTB and started riding with my fellow staff members... one fireraod ride and I was hooked on the rush.

2) I keep riding because it keeps me fit. I love the way (most) people are in this sport- you can always get along with them. I love the rush of being on sweet singletrack and being in the zone. I love the technology and am a sufferer of upgrade-itis. I love getting outside. I love the challenge. I love the bush. I love the risk. I keep meeting really interesting people from varying backgrounds just because I ride a bike (including my gorgeous g/f)... I just love mountain biking.

3) Yes, it's great to see people and how good their skills are... plus their bikes look even better. It's a nice change to the rest of us weekend warriors. Plus a lot of what they have to say can help you to be a better rider.

4) I still ride on the road and on bike paths (still on my MTB though!), I still go bushwalking and rock climbing... but Mountain Biking combines my passion for the environment, my obsession with technology, the need for an adrenalin rush, that masochistic drive to "feel the burn" up those climbs, meeting people and the fact that it's relatively easy to do- just hop in the car (or ride) to the trailhead on any given day/night and ride... it pretty much covers 50% of what makes my life fun (the other 50% being my career of audio).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thank you!!! A+ fo shizzle

Members who have read this thread: 0