Recovering Weight Weenie

Another cyclist struck....by a text message?

Teen in Crash May Have Been Text Messaging
    Nov 26 1:24 PM US/Eastern
    Email this story
    HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo.

A 17-year-old likely will face misdemeanor charges after allegedly losing control of his car while text messaging and hitting a bicyclist.

The bicyclist, Jim R. Price of Highlands Ranch, died Friday, two days after the accident.

"We do not believe it was an intentional act, but it was inattentiveness to the roadway," said Lt. Alan Stanton, spokesman for Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

"The investigation showed that he was text-messaging on his cell phone" at the time of the accident, said Stanton.

The driver could face a charge of careless driving resulting in death, Stanton said. Under Colorado law, the teen could face up to a year in prison.

It was the second time Price, an avid cyclist, had been hit by car. He suffered a broken ankle two years ago when he was hit while riding on a bike path. His wife, Shirley, said he had been especially mindful of cars since then.

Shirley Price wasn't angry with the teen. "I feel sorry for the teenager," she said. "It was a stupid mistake," she told the Rocky Mountain News.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/26/D8E4AGFG3.html

the cool nerd
    oh the horror.

such a harsh punishment..

"up to a year" for killing a person.

Lawyer Time! No Comment.
    Woah! I live in Highlands Ranch (suburb of Denver)! F! Still, somehow, I'm not suprised that it was a kid busy on their cellphone. I sure hope his Beemer is ok... I wouldn't ride around here if I had to. And I do have to. But I don't. Because I have. And it's stupid dangerous. Did I mention I'm moving?

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Email this story
    HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo.

A 17-year-old likely will face misdemeanor charges after allegedly losing control of his car while text messaging and hitting a bicyclist.
    Nothing left to lose, & half mad.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Killing someone is a MISDEMEANOR?

Why is every bicycle advocacy organization not all over this?

mtbr member
    i was thinking the same thing. why the hell doesnt this qualify as vehicular homicide? this smacks of rich parents pulling some strings to get their kid off easy...

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    put yourself in the teen's shoes...

more jailtime won't undo anything... he's probably already learnt his lesson through guilt.

Old man on a bike
    He was a brother of sorts, aka Rusty Cogs on roadbikereview. I don't know what's worse, someone who kills someone out of boredom or does so while text messaging...in either case we all lose. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=46682

My heart goes out to the wife and family he leaves behind.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    i was thinking the same thing. why the hell doesnt this qualify as vehicular homicide? this smacks of rich parents pulling some strings to get their kid off easy...
    Upping the punishment on the kid doesn't do anything to change the tragedy, or bring the killed cyclist back.

hfly

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The only similarities between the two...

incidents is the loss of life. While both are trajic, I have a hard time feeling angry over this one. The young man driving the car and text messaging on his cell phone. Not riding around town with a shot gun looking for a target. There was no cold calculation involved in this. I makes be feel sorry and sad more than angry. Sorry for the cyclist and his family for their loss, and sorry for a young man that now has to live with what he has done for the rest of his life.

I think that before we start casting stones that we should examine ourselves. How many here have been driving down the road making or taking calls on their cell phones. How many of us could this have happened too? I am sure that there are many here that could be in this young mans place, but by the grace of God! And lets not limit it to cell phones, how about munching a burger while driving, digging around for your CD case, changing a radio station, the list could be endless. ANYTHING that distracts your attention while driving a motor vehicle can lead to a similar incident.

I am sorry, but this was not a case of cold blooded murder, it just does not evoke the absolute rage that the murder of the cyclist does. I cannot not put myself in the place of some LOONEY TOON that is bored and decsides to go kill someone. I can put myself in the place of this young man however. There have been a few times in my driving carreer that inatentiveness could have lead to something like this. But I was lucky and learned from my mistakes with out consiquence, other than some rattled nerves and a sick feeling of knowing what could have happened.

Just becaues this young man struck a cyclist DOES NOT make this any worse than if he had struck a walker or another car. It's kind of sad really. The only reason this gets any attention here at all is because a cyclist was involved. Help me to not judge my brother until I have walked a mile in his shoes. Nuff said!
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    A better punishment would be. Not able to own or operate a cell phone or any wireless messaging device for 5 years. He would have to use land lines. Kind of like what they do to hackers.

L1MEY
    It's unfortunate that cars are so much like little houses on wheels that people feel comfortable enough in them to do things like send text messages, put on their make-up, eat a burger etc.

The fact is that most people think that they are good enough drivers to be able to do several things at once, which they clearly are not. I have a tendancy to watch other drivers when I'm a passenger in a car, just 'cause people-watching is interesting. People feel so secure in their cars that they do all sorts of things. In the past few weeks I've seen countless people on cell phones (of course), several women putting on make-up (one at 50mph on the freeway... WTF?) a couple of people reading with their reading material on the steering wheel (again, WTF?), a couple having a very heated argument resulting in the guy stopping the car in the middle of the road and the woman jumping out, and numerous other things that I've mostly forgotten.

The point is that cars give us a false sense of security because they have comfy seats, air conditioning, stereos, DVD players and all manner of other things to insulate us in our own little world and make us forget that we're hurtling around at high and dangerous speeds. Add to that the fact that the majority of cars sold in the US have automatic transmission, which takes away even more of the mental process of driving, and it's not surprising that many people think that they're perfectly capable of combining driving with any number of other tasks.

If everyone who owns a car/truck/SUV was suddenly forced to ride a bicycle or motorcycle, I think we'd see a huge improvement in driving standards almost immediately. There is no leeway for mistakes when you're riding, so you pay closer attention to what you and other people are doing. Unfortunately it's too late for the poor guy in this thread... and also for the kid who killed him. He will have to live with what he's done for the rest of his life, and hopefully the nightmares will discourage him from ever doing anything as stupid as text messaging while driving again.

One last thought... like everything else here in Vegas, the buses are also covered in advertisements. Lately a lot of buses have dropped their traditional ads for one that says "Bad driving. What's your excuse?" IMO there should be more public money put into schemes like this. I'd like to see billbards stating that "Bicycles belong on the road, not on the sidewalk" and similar messages that drivers seem to forget all too often.

- Jen.
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you ever heard of PERSONAL REPONSIBLITY? Text messaging IS NOT an appropriate activity while driving. Yes, I often use my cell phone while driving, but before I do anything that will distract me from driving I look well up the road to make sure there is no one in the shoulder that I could plow into and kill. I'm sorry for both individuals in this case, but I think the kid needs to do time-at least a year!

Marty

banned

family should file wrongful death suit

When we lost a promising young rider here in Flagstaff several years back, it was also a young driver that was not paying attention. She claimed the sun got in her eyes and she drifted onto the shoulder and killed the young rider. She received a $35 ticket for failing to yield or some such traffic violation.

As far as the death of the cyclist who was struck by the young man text messaging, the family of the person killed should hire an attorney and file a wrongful death suit. You can be certain they will be contacted by law firms from all across the country who promise them retribution. In civil matters the threshold of proof is merely a preponderance or 51%, as opposed to criminal courts where it is "beyond reasonable doubt" or maybe 90%.

The family will likely win judgment and the young man will lose his car and most of his possessions and pay a portion of his salary to the family for most of his life. Just in case he feels no remorse or guilt over what he did, he will be reminded of his careless and negligent act on every payday as well as be force to live a lessor lifestyle and perhaps even be forced to commute on a bicycle.

mtbr member
    We are too lenient as a society. It does not matter that the driver was only 17. That does not change what occured. We as a society have turned to the....oops, sorry it was a mistake. We are all responisible for our actions. Would you think differently if he caused a school bus full of kindergarders to veer off the road because of his actions? Probably. It seems we are too quick to shirk our responsibilities these days...look at the bankruptcy rates (hihger in history). I have 3 kids, aged 19 to 21 and they were taught they will be held accountable for there actions. Oh well, enough of my ramblings...just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers all,
    Chip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole82
    A better punishment would be. Not able to own or operate a cell phone or any wireless messaging device for 5 years. He would have to use land lines. Kind of like what they do to hackers.

the cyclist's punishment is that he is dead. somehow, your terms don't seem as fair...

I like to ride my bike.

Bonking ... not feelin' well Awful

[QUOTE=Cole82 Not able to own or operate a cell phone or any wireless messaging device for 5 years. He would have to use land lines.
    Cole, that's a great idea. People don't need cell phones. There was a car crash that I almost winessed from my bike. A huge F-150 plowed into a tiny 80s camery. The guy in the F-150 was on his cell phone, and swerved to the other side of the road striking the camery. I know a guy who's been biking on the road for about 40 years and has been both struck and run off the road about 15 times.

That's so sad though, all he was doing was working hard and having fun.

My punishment. 3yrs in prison
    4 yr suspension of any cell phones in car, but how do they enforce that.
    OR Make him [COLOR=Red]bike to work or school[/COLOR], suspend privelages of car.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Cole82
    Good idea...PLUS, take away his car/license and make him RIDE A BIKE to get around....I fvcking hate cell phones......HATE them !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    Good idea...PLUS, take away his car/license and make him RIDE A BIKE to get around....I fvcking hate cell phones......HATE them !!!
    YEAH!!! PERFECT!! Take away his car and make him ride a bike. Great idea! After his jail time of course.

Linoleum Knife
    The bicyclist, Jim R. Price of Highlands Ranch, died Friday, two days after the accident.
    This guy posted avidly on the Bicycling.com maintenance message board under the nym Biker Billy..

He could come across as pretty abrasive, but he knew more about bicycles and their history than anyone I have ever talked to. He could tell you what kind of der. came on an obscure 1960's bike, what the diameter of X seattube was, how to fix Y problem, and then tell you that you were an nosepicker and too stupid to work on your own bike so just take it to a shop.

A great resource of information - really a tragedy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Crime and punishment

A couple posters early on in this thread pointed out that a harsher sentence won't bring back the dead cyclist. And while this is true, sometimes the point of a punishment for a crime is to send a deterrent message to others. In this case, that message ought to be that driving a motor vehicle is a serious responsibility, and that negligent acts while doing so are not tolerated. Killing someone with a motor vehicle, through any act of carelessness, whether you are sober or drunk, should result in license revocation and jail time.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig
    One last thought... like everything else here in Vegas, the buses are also covered in advertisements. Lately a lot of buses have dropped their traditional ads for one that says "Bad driving. What's your excuse?" IMO there should be more public money put into schemes like this. I'd like to see billbards stating that "Bicycles belong on the road, not on the sidewalk" and similar messages that drivers seem to forget all too often.
    I agree. Whenever I hear of cycling groups using the Share the Road concept I tell them it needs modification:

Share the road
    ITS THE LAW

Now there's a bumper sticker I'd put on my car.

In other news, Jim's daughter posted on rbr that Good Morning America has contacted the family about picking up this story. If you think that's a good way to get the word out then you should consider contacting them.

http://abc.go.com/site/contactus.htm...ning%20America
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

It's like butta baby~ !

Hello

This is the perfect example why cell phones need to be banned while drining a vehicle.....~! Up the anty when people get multiple offenses.....
    I'm sorry for the loss of any life, much less a fellow cyclist.
    What really, really baffles me is to see someone on a road bike talking on a cell phone......yikes.

bacon up that sausage
    I use to live in Highlands Ranch and still work and ride there. From personal experience I am surprised that there has been only two incidents in Highlands Ranch. I can recall at least a dozen close calls that I have had with drivers on cell phones in the Ranch. The funny thing is that most of the roads out here are 4-6 driving lanes wide with bike lanes just as wide. Most of the time I see the bike lanes used as turn lanes. The city tried to do something about people using the bike lane as a turn lane. They put big electronic highway signs flashing messages “Please not to cross the double white lines”, but t did not help? No. People still cross the white lines and use the bike lane as a turn lane. I would hope a second bike tragedy in Highlands Ranch would open up the communities eyes and realize that bikes share the roads too, but we all know that no one remembers the last bike tragedy and tomorrow will be the same as yesterday.

mtbr member
    it's pretty sad when some dumb kid murders a person riding on a bicycle and all you guys want to do is ban him from using cellphones. this is what's wrong with our society. as someone earlier said, we are way too lenient. this person in a perfect world deserves death. an eye for an eye. i'd settle for a loooong prison sentence.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    No punishment can undo a crime -- the victim is dead no matter what happens to the kid. Punishments exist to deter other people from committing crimes in the fiture.

If this kid gets off with a slap, it tells everyone that they can continue texting on cell phones and reading the paper and curling their hair while driving, because if they kill a pedestrian or cyclist, what the hell -- it's not like they did something *really bad* like get a DUI, right?

People care way too much about intent. It doesn't matter if the kid ran Jim over with a car or shot him in the face. Either way he's dead.

What if you did know...?
    In Japan these types of "crimes of neglect" that result in maiming or killing are resolved quite effectively. It is called "Gomen." Translated it it means "sorry." In Japanese law it means those responsible are required to pay directly for loss of wages and benefits to the victims or their family, sometimes for life. They must also acknowlege the day of death or maiming to the victim and family by sending a note expressing remorse every year for a determined period of time, usually 5-10 years .
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    Groucho Marx

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

That government is best which governs least.
    Henry David Thoreau
    If this is the case the current Iraqi government is a raging success...)

mtbr member

Soft punishment.

Email this story
    HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo.

"We do not believe it was an intentional act, but it was inattentiveness to the roadway," said Lt. Alan Stanton, spokesman for Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

"The investigation showed that he was text-messaging on his cell phone" at the time of the accident, said Stanton.

The driver could face a charge of careless driving resulting in death, Stanton said. Under Colorado law, the teen could face up to a year in prison.

It was the second time Price, an avid cyclist, had been hit by car. He suffered a broken ankle two years ago when he was hit while riding on a bike path. His wife, Shirley, said he had been especially mindful of cars since then.

Shirley Price wasn't angry with the teen. "I feel sorry for the teenager," she said. "It was a stupid mistake," she told the Rocky Mountain News.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/26/D8E4AGFG3.html

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...7-c589c01ca7bf

Old man on a bike
    It seems in general that any time a cyclist is killed by someone driving a car, the sentence is light. That'll be a big deterrent for others driving while phoning/texting... I know a kid who got a longer sentence for selling pot. Some f*cked up standards we've got in this country.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

life is a barrel o'fun
    Last week I was test-riding a road bike, and nearly got hit by a motorcyclist. I was passing an entrance ramp and the guy came so close, his jacket nearly brushed my nose (or so it felt.) You would think motorcycle riders would have a little more empathy!!

I don't think it's about feeling comfy-cozy; it's just that we drive the same roads, at the same times of day, and slip into auto-pilot mode. It's the boredom of the routine commute. I mean, the motorcyclist couldn't have been text-messaging or putting on eyeliner.

Hell, I'm guilty of drinking coffee, eating something and changing the radio while on the highway (where there aren't as many distractions.) I once read that a salesguy who drives across Montana on a regular basis reads novels behind the wheel. Sidestreets are crazy, though.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

Ass-kickin chili fixins
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    Sweeet. That's great news! I've always wanted to kill my girlfriends ex boyfriend. I've thought of poison, boobytrap, arson, but all these things have such heavy penalties if you're caught. But now I see that all I have to do is wait down the street until he gets on his bike and run him over with my car. Spend a week in jail, and I'm home free baby.
    Looking for:

a used Suzuki XR500.

Klein Pulse Comp (NOS)

Bontrager Privateer (NOS)

Kalloy 27.4 seat post

Tranz-X quick releases (purple)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Sweeet. That's great news! I've always wanted to kill my girlfriends ex boyfriend. I've thought of poison, boobytrap, arson, but all these things have such heavy penalties if you're caught. But now I see that all I have to do is wait down the street until he gets on his bike and run him over with my car. Spend a week in jail, and I'm home free baby.
    Only if you do it in Denver.
    Lil bassard better be glad it wasn't one of my family members. He'd beg for death in about a week. I say give him the chair. Send the propper message.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Your bike is incorrigible

but talking on the phone while driving is illegal

at least in CT it's illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving. That law passed just a couple of months ago.

Text messaging while driving???!!!!!????!!!!!?????!!!!?????????!!!!!!!! !??????????

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    put yourself in the teen's shoes...

more jailtime won't undo anything... he's probably already learnt his lesson through guilt.
    You are quite right, I'm sure every other little nimrod out there is texting to their buddys about the whole year this clown MIGHT get for killing someone. The punishment sure fits the crime and it sends a strong message that killing someone isn't ok.

Negligent homicide, should carry a little more weight.

For all you guys saying he should be forced to bike.
    I have a remote relative who has been up on DUI enough that he has lost his license.
    He finally had to bike.
    He has been hit on the bike at least once.
    About a year or so later I hear he is once again driving without a license.
    I'd hope they run him up again but they only pick him up to extort fines out of him once they find out he hasn't got any money they won't even arrest him.

And banning the cell phone?
    That will work. I mean, it was already illegal for this idiot to be running people over.
    The same people who are driving down the street with the phone stuck to their ear will be doing the same thing with it illegal. Every day I see them running red lights way after the change, turning left across two lanes of traffic from the right hand lane and generally acting as if there isn't anyone on the road but themselves.

We don't need more laws, just to enforce some of the ones we already have.
    Last edited by archer; 02-08-2006 at 03:02 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0