Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Magically Delicious

Common Nighthawk

Wandering some remote mountain ridge in Northern New Mexico around 10,300 feet walked up on this Common Nighthawk still as a rock.

animal encounters-img_0087-i.jpg

animal encounters-img_0089-i.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Wandering some remote mountain ridge in Northern New Mexico around 10,300 feet walked up on this Common Nighthawk still as a rock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0087-I.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	1001228

Name:	IMG_0089-I.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	1001230
    See those Nighthawks on night rides here in SoCal, big orange eyes, freaky. They'll land right in front of you on the trail, nearly taken out a few.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Saw this little guy this morning on the trail. Good thing I was going slow and uphill, or else I might not have seen him in time and ran him over!
    juvenile desert tortoise.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Bikesexual
    That's who I was chasing this morning ^^ Great find! I always seem to run only into wild rabbits - lol -
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member

MOOOOOOOOO
    Too many bikes, just enough time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Was riding my go to trail El Prieto in Los Angeles this past weekend and came across this guy. I came around a switchback to find it bear hugging very top of the tree its standing behind in the picture, maybe 20ft high, ripping bark off. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but as I stopped to grab my phone for a pic, it looks over at me, mouth open like a dog, and starts shimming down the tree! Luckily it just stepped behind the tree and stared at me while I snapped the picture. It was probably 40-50ft off the trail.
    I always ride this trail with a bear/hiker bell on my bars, but I guess it was too occupied with what it was doing to hear it. I could actually hear the bark breaking at the top of the trail before dropping in, thought maybe someone was doing trail work because it sounded like chopping or breaking wood.
    animal encounters-bear.jpg

Three days before the bear sighting I saw this bobcat chillin on the side of the road that leads to the same trail.
    animal encounters-bobcat1.jpganimal encounters-bobcat2.jpg

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
    Was riding my go to trail El Prieto in Los Angeles this past weekend and came across this guy. I came around a switchback to find it bear hugging very top of the tree its standing behind in the picture, maybe 20ft high, ripping bark off. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but as I stopped to grab my phone for a pic, it looks over at me, mouth open like a dog, and starts shimming down the tree! Luckily it just stepped behind the tree and stared at me while I snapped the picture. It was probably 40-50ft off the trail.
    I always ride this trail with a bear/hiker bell on my bars, but I guess it was too occupied with what it was doing to hear it. I could actually hear the bark breaking at the top of the trail before dropping in, thought maybe someone was doing trail work because it sounded like chopping or breaking wood.

Name:	bear.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	1003527

Three days before the bear sighting I saw this bobcat chillin on the side of the road that leads to the same trail.

Name:	bobcat1.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	1003528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobcat2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	453.0 KB 
ID:	1003529
    Very cool encounters, I must be blind though because I'm not seeing the bear in that first photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Magically Delicious

Came across this guy a few years ago

animal encounters-dscn8592-002-i.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Very cool encounters, I must be blind though because I'm not seeing the bear in that first photo.
    It's standing behind the tree that is not knocked over. About 4 ft up from the bottom of the tree, left side. All you can really see is it's head peeking around.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
    It's standing behind the tree that is not knocked over. About 4 ft up from the bottom of the tree, left side. All you can really see is it's head peeking around.
    Oh, well if I would have scrolled the photo up a bit I would have seen him the first time. Good shot!
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Name:	DSCN8592-002-I.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	1003532
    Another outstanding photo, I think you missed your calling Sir.

searchin for Animal Chin
    chuckwalla on the trail this morning.

Back at it
    Never gotten a good picture from the trail, but have snapped a few cool nature pics from my backyard. This was just outside Raleigh NC

Saw this one and a couple other pups on and off for several months

Finally caught him in the act!

American Bittern in the wetland behind my old house

Was told this was a Coopers Hawk

I snapped this out in the Roanoke Sound on my parents boat OBX NC

Crave SL SS

mtbr member
    Took these today. I almost had a nasty collision with one of these deer

Sent from nowhere

searchin for Animal Chin
    Really thought it was a snake when I first saw it. The rare Mojave rusty chain snake!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    wow, ran into a pack of wolves on my mountain bike last night.

Came around a corner on a gated road, doing about 15 mph and saw 3 wolves in the road about 50 yards ahead of me, they where facing away from me, looking back. I gave a war whoop out and saw a couple more wolves start running away, i kept rolling in to them and let out a fear of god war whoop and saw 2 more wolves take off, all running away from me. I than stopped and got the hell out of there. Definately got my adrenaline fix tonight. I took off from the house on my bike and was 5 miles away when it happended.

I live out side of Coeur d Alene, Idaho. Ironically I live in the Wolf Lodge area east of town.

built to thrash
    Apr 2015
    Hilariously enough I wanted to talk about my experience seeing a fox this weekend, and apparently there is a thread for it.

I was riding in Falcon Lake, MB this Saturday. Lots of climbs, and lots of turns to navigate. Out of nowhere I see a huge fox. I had never seen a fully grown male fox, but here one was running on my trail and turning around to look at me every 20 meters. This went on for about 800 meters. The tail was damn near the entire length of the fox and I kept thinking... this video could make for an awesome FOX fork's add. I didn't have the GoPro on though... so damn. This was a massive highlight for the riding season though.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeofthewoods View Post
    I see a huge fox. I had never seen a fully grown male fox, but here one was running on my trail and turning around to look at me every 20 meters. This went on for about 800 meters.
    That guy clearly wasn't afraid of you... When I see a fox, it is generally just a flash of fur getting away from me in a hurry.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I got taken out by deer number 2 that crossed right to left on a paved trail at top speed on my road bike. Road rash and six splits in my helmet later I limped to the trailhead where I got picked up by my gf. Broken ribs and I hope that is all. I was in shock and couldn't breath deep so some xanax saved me.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Raleigh
    On one ride alone, within the space of about 30mins, I'd seen deer three different times on the trail. 11 total, and, thankfully, I didn't hit any!
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    Gloworm XS on bars
    Gloworm Alpha on helmet
    @tubbnation (IG)

mtbr member
    This Saturday while taking a break near the top of Bergan Peak (Elk Meadow) a huge bird came down and got something. We slowly worked our way around a tree and saw this face.

https://www.magment.com/wp-content/u...n-eagle-25.jpg

It flies away with a good sized squirrel in it's talons. Wish I had a pic.
    in the ghetto of Evergreen

mtbr member
    I have nothing but roadrunners, coyotes, snakes lizards and such on the bike trails, but....

Another passion is Astronomy. I can get lost for hours at the eyepiece on a dark night. Usually went with my dog, off some dirt road back in the boonies.

So a couple yeas ago I am just doing my thing, and eventually notice there's something breathing. It isn't me, nor the dog. No other sounds. I go over and nudge the dog. He rolls over with a "leave me alone" whine. So I drag him closer to the door, and he goes into full alert, pointing down the dirt road. Hands trembling I turn the flashlight on. Two of the largest red eyes I EVER saw are looking back at me. Almost crapped my pants. My dog starts barking, and the eyes start moving.....

A few steps closer....and then the flashlight revealed....a fricken range cow.

enjoys skidding
    Feb 2005
    Back in Australia we have our snakes, kangaroos, emus, cattle, sheep, goats. Nothing quite like a night ride through some overgrown singletrack riding through 4-5 spider webs wondering how many spiders are in your helmet.

Emus are the worst, they're just so unpredictable. Most roos aren't aggressive. Just gotta act tall and make a lot of noise.

Makes Canada seem safe. I've only ever encountered black bears and deer.

That said, friends have seen cougars and grizzly. They'd scare the hell out of me!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Last week as I was riding up Stenner Creak Rd, I heard a rustling off to the side of the road and a bird flew out and hit me up side the head and continued flying. I looked over and saw a rather shocked cat looking back at me. I have seen all sorts of things on the trail but have not been smacked up side the head by a bird..

mtbr member
    I've seen many bear,bobcats,fox,raccoon,snakes,tortoises,owls,haw ks,eagles,coyotes,badgers,big horn sheep,deer 8 pointers and 5 different species (pix below), elk,wild donkey's, wild horses, ringtailed cats,opossum, pronghorn antelope, buffalo most of these within 20 miles of my front door here in SoCal. Seen many more then these too.

animal encounters-8ponter.jpg
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak View Post
    I've seen many bear,bobcats,fox,raccoon,snakes,tortoises,owls,haw ks,eagles,coyotes,badgers,big horn sheep,deer 8 pointers and 5 different species (pix below), elk,wild donkey's, wild horses, ringtailed cats,opossum, pronghorn antelope, buffalo most of these within 20 miles of my front door here in SoCal. Seen many more then these too.

Name:	8ponter.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	1013376
    Same here having lived in So. Cal. and Colorado many species of wildlife I'm fortunate enough to witness often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've run over a few rattlesnakes that were laying out flat. Then last week I was flying down a trail when a rattlesnake laying flat quickly coiled and struck as I was flying by. I instinctively lifted my legs and felt his strike clang against my bike. Yuck! I was freaked out, and I already hate those things.

They must secretly know how many of their brothers I kill monthly on my property...

Another encounter was when I came around a turn and a massive bull was standing there. He had huge horns, like you'd see in a bad western movie, and stomped his feet to warn me. It sounded like freaking thunder. I kept riding at a steady pace by him to show him its all good. He didn't kill me.

Bedwards Of The West
    I didn't see this mama mountain lion and cub or cubs yesterday, but they probably saw me...

animal encounters-khowomlbhixyb6vzvhp0ib8zm5zy8pvtbg_dljqfdhy-768x576.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I have seen many deer, two Bobcats, rattlesnakes and other snakes also one fox.

Once going down a fire road a squirrel ran along with me for about 400yds, he was moving too, before turning off the road. Another ride on a single track that squirrels cousin runs right out in front of me. I barely have time to grab a little brake to let him clear my front tire, but as soon as he is lined up with my front wheel he decides to run with me. I had no chance of stopping in time and rolled him with both tires. Why I glanced back he was no where to be seen.

On a night ride with a buddy our lights lit up a set of coyote eyes on the trail ahead of us. The lights then lit up another set then a third. As we we scanned the slope there were at least three more coyotes. I wasn't worried as I was fairly sure I could out ride my buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member

animal encounters

Living in San Diego county you hear about the occasional mountain lion sighting. One lady we ride with talks about every sighting. I once asked her if she had ever seen a mtn lion while riding. She comfortably answered no. She wasn't as comfortable after I mentioned they had seen her.

I would love to see one out on the trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member

Pissed Off Snake

My buddy and I ran into this big sucker a while back in Sycamore Canyon in Riverside, CA. We decided to find another way around. There are lots of snakes in this area, but this is the biggest rattlesnake I've ever run into and he wasn't the slightest bit afraid.

animal encounters-img_0126.jpg
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ that is one fat snake.

mtbr member
    It is amazing how snakes can find a single track then hang out dead center of it..? All that open free space and they have to sit on the vary path we use!?! Weird
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    One lady we ride with talks about every sighting. I once asked her if she had ever seen a mtn lion while riding. She comfortably answered no. She wasn't as comfortable after I mentioned they had seen her.

I would love to see one out on the trails.
    I'm with you. I have seen tracks a few times, caught one in the shadows on my remote trail camera, but never seen one in person. I'd love to see one. One time I was riding logging roads on the dirt bike (the braaaaaap kind) and I came around a corner and had to dodge a half of a deer carcass in the middle of the road. I went up a corner or two, thought "I should check that out"...whipped around, went back...... and it was gone. I shut the bike off and looked around, but no sign of what had to be a big cat.... it was probably like 10 feet away in a tree looking at me. haha. At least it wasn't hungry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I'm with you. I have seen tracks a few times, caught one in the shadows on my remote trail camera, but never seen one in person. I'd love to see one. One time I was riding logging roads on the dirt bike (the braaaaaap kind) and I came around a corner and had to dodge a half of a deer carcass in the middle of the road. I went up a corner or two, thought "I should check that out"...whipped around, went back...... and it was gone. I shut the bike off and looked around, but no sign of what had to be a big cat.... it was probably like 10 feet away in a tree looking at me. haha. At least it wasn't hungry.
    Wow, seriously you want to see one? That's insane. You realize there's documented instances of mountain lions killing mountain bikers unprovoked, right? I have actually cancelled bike trips when I realized that the timing would make me the first person on the trail for the day and therefore possibly lion food. It's OK to take chances but please be safe!

mtbr member
    Yesterday I was riding (central Texas) a wide dirt path on the way to some sweet singletrack when I heard a crashing noise to my left. I looked over and a coyote was charging through the woods toward me! the coyote landed on the edge of the trail and in a single movement, bounded back into the brush to disappear. I don't know if he was hunting me and realized that I am too big to eat, or just happened to be running through the woods at that moment but the whole thing was momentarily terrifying, then hilarious.

on another note, local laws require that dogs are kept on a leash in the parks where I ride, but many people ignore it. in response I "help" them by giving every off-leash dog walker I meet a tip- "there's a park ranger near the trail head who has been giving out tickets for people with their dogs off-leash, that's $500 a pop!" the dog walkers always thank me heartily and leash their dogs immediately. of course that is not going to happen in real life, cops are too busy... doing whatever cops do instead of enforcing laws. but it gets those mutts under control.

another observation- even notice how, for an hour or so after seeing one snake near the trail, EVERYTHING looks like a snake to you?

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    Wow, seriously you want to see one? That's insane. You realize there's documented instances of mountain lions killing mountain bikers unprovoked, right? I have actually cancelled bike trips when I realized that the timing would make me the first person on the trail for the day and therefore possibly lion food. It's OK to take chances but please be safe!
    Well I don't want to see the inside of it's mouth, but yeah... such an awesome creature. I want to see one. In my neck of the woods there has never been an attack. 15 documented attacks in California since 1986, and 7 of those were in Orange, Los Angeles, and San Diego Counties. Up here in 'the real NorCal' they have all the deer they want. I'd be scared to see one in Orange County where the only snacks in the "wilderness" areas are humans.

Statistically you're 1000 times more likely to be struck by lightning.

animal encounters-screen-shot-2015-09-10-10.03.38-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A7Gw217EJ4
    our biggest threat at the moment

Seen two riding, one was pretty far off and the other just about 1/4 mile in front and moving away. That's probably close enough. Honestly, I'm more worried when I see a moose up close just because they can be pretty unpredictable. My wife and I watch a couple bear cubs playing along the trail at Exit Glacier (for about 1/2 second before she turned and started walking back down the trail). I've never seen a "Mama Bear" go "Mama Bear" but it seems logical that it's unpleasant or they'd call it something else. (Just like when you biff the National Anthem and they call it "Rosanne Barr'ing".) - Okay, just made that up as an example, still legit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I look every time I'm in the hills, even the hunters I know have a hard time finding them. I have seen a few foxes lately riding in the hills

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I ride in El Dorado County in N. CA. While riding I have seen Rattlesnakes, Coyotes, Mountain Lions, Bob Cats, Deer, River Otters, Skunks and Bald Eagles. I even rescued a dazed Red Tail Hawk from out of the middle of the road after if was hit by a car (you can't imaging how awesome it feels to hold one of these birds in your hands). Thank God it didn't bite any of my fingers off when I scooped it up off the road. However this summer I have come upon a black bear while riding in the town of Cool Ca. three separate times. My first encounter with the bear I found myself within 15 feet of it, that got my heart going! On my last encounter with the bear he came climbing down a tall oak tree jumping the last 8 feet to the ground in front of me and running off. I guess they are more scared of me than I am of them. Attached is a picture I snapped of another bear that crossed in front of me on a trail last Friday 9/11/15. The bear and I stared each other down for a while and then he took off. Mountain Biking is a rush, but coming in contact with one of these animals during a ride makes it even more awesome.
    Name:  Cronan Ranch bear.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  94.9 KB

mtbr member
    I had an unusual animal encounter last Sunday. I was on a trail that is an out and back. On the way I didn't see anything unusual. On the way back about 10 minutes later I was riding down the trail, and I see what at first looks like a cat chilling in the middle of the trail. Once I got closer I realized it was a raccoon. It was about 6:30, and still light. I stopped about 5 feet away, and he didn't move. He wasn't aggressive, but he seemed a bit out of it. I put my tire within inches of his face to get him to move off the trail, and he hardly moved at all. After doing this several time, and yelling at him he finally moved far enough off the trail for me to pass. This also happened to be one of maybe two rides I do all year without my phone, so I didn't get any pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I had an unusual animal encounter last Sunday. I was on a trail that is an out and back. On the way I didn't see anything unusual. On the way back about 10 minutes later I was riding down the trail, and I see what at first looks like a cat chilling in the middle of the trail. Once I got closer I realized it was a raccoon. It was about 6:30, and still light. I stopped about 5 feet away, and he didn't move. He wasn't aggressive, but he seemed a bit out of it. I put my tire within inches of his face to get him to move off the trail, and he hardly moved at all. After doing this several time, and yelling at him he finally moved far enough off the trail for me to pass. This also happened to be one of maybe two rides I do all year without my phone, so I didn't get any pictures.
    He was probably rabid, you should report him. Rabid animals aren't always aggressive.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    He was probably rabid, you should report him. Rabid animals aren't always aggressive.
    +1 From Personal Experience

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    I had a murderous ride on Wednesday night. I have four animal main hazards when riding at night. The first is a frog, that looks like a rock when stationary on the trail. The second is a bird that also likes to pretend it is a rock while sleeping on the ground and the third are kamikaze bunnies. The fourth is livestock (cattle/horses) but they're big and easy to see so not a threat. I have also encountered bears, coyotes and big cats but they're a lot rarer so I don't worry so much about them.

No frogs last night - they're an issue earlier in the year. But birds and bunnies were an issue and alas, two probably lost their lives. It was either them or me..

The first casualty of the night was, I think (I'm still not entirely sure), was the bird. I had already spent a couple of hours riding, dodging many birds as I would ride towards them. It's hard to distinguish them from rocks until close. Sometimes you see their eyes glow as you approach them. Usually they wait until you are about 3 feet from them, then they fly up and away. Once one flew straight into my face; that was disgusting. Well on this ride I was heading home, downhill with the wind behind and had a good pace. Round a corner and I see this rock like thing. For a split second I think "bird!". If never moved, I hit it but did not get the typical thunk from a rock. Was it a bird? I'm not totally sure but it didn't feel like a rock strike either. Sorry birdy, I felt bad.

The second casualty was on the steepest, fastest part of my way home. There is a hill with a track. I have hit 45mph on this before but typically top out about 38 mph. This night with the wind behind I was probably running about 40mph on the steepest section. This is at night, on gravel and loose rock with about a 20-25% grade. Right at the fastest point a bunny runs out. I make a small correction to avoid it (there's not much you can do at 40mph) and think I'm good. Then right at the last moment the bunny changes direction and I hear and feel the thud thud and both tires hit it. Sorry bunny. If you had just stayed you course you would've been safe.

I am more afraid of bunnies on the trail than bears and big cats (I've yet to see a mountain lion but have see a bobcat). Bunnies are unpredictable in their moves and I have always thought one going into my wheel would be the death of me. Amazingly in 22 years of cycling this is the first time I have ever hit anything and I hit two animals. I'm thankful that I ran over the bunny rather than have it go into my wheel though. I dread to think of the injury I may have sustained hitting the deck at 40mph.

I feel bad for the animals. My only though is that I made it easier for the local Coyotes and snakes to get a meal that night.

mtbr member
    12 elk and 3 deer yesterday in Gifford Pinchot Natl Forest. Herd of 10 crossed in front of me and one bull almost took me out on a DH. I've seen them before but not this many on that many instances (4 encounters). Only had time to catch the last 2 stragglers on my iPhone:

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails animal encounters-img_3124.jpg  

"There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

EMBA Member
    animal encounters-p1010805-small.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Saw a moose about 10 ft to my left the other day on the Mid Mountain trail in Park City. The guy at the head of the line starting whispering loudly, "Smoose smoose smoose," and I was really confused until this black thing the size of a F350 stands up next to me. We kept moving and evidently it cleared out quick because the last two of our party missed it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Pynchonite View Post
    Saw a moose about 10 ft to my left the other day on the Mid Mountain trail in Park City. The guy at the head of the line starting whispering loudly, "Smoose smoose smoose," and I was really confused until this black thing the size of a F350 stands up next to me. We kept moving and evidently it cleared out quick because the last two of our party missed it entirely.
    Yep those Smooses can be dangerous.

mtbr member
    Came around the corner and came across this fella up near Mystic Lake near Bozeman this weekend.

animal encounters-moose.jpg

mtbr member
    From a few weeks ago while out on a ride in SW Montana:

animal encounters-elk.jpg

Bedwards Of The West
    I have a trail camera set up behind my house. My early morning commute alertness level just increased a bit...

animal encounters-screen-shot-2015-09-28-8.15.20-am.jpg

Hoping for Endless Summer
    In Mammoth I see tons of deer. They just stare at me from the side of the trail. I like to pretend they are watching me ride. Been here all summer and have not seen a single bear.

I also came across the cutest animal I have ever seen... a pine marten. I have never seen such a cute face in my life.

Mammoth Dreaming, Mammoth Living
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie
    Northrock XC29 with a bell, for leisure riding.

I have a trail camera set up behind my house. My early morning commute alertness level just increased a bit...

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 8.15.20 AM.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	1018465
    What kind or model of camera is that? I am looking to get one for the same purpose. I am curious what goes on at night in my neighborhood .

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Have any of you encountered agressive coyotes? Where I am just south of Boston, a few guys have had stand off's with coyotes. One actually said he was chased. I really didn't think coyotes did this. FWIW worth, the particular area (Blue Hills) has significant/overpopulated deer situation.

I'd love to hear people's input on this.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by OffTheTop View Post
    What kind or model of camera is that? I am looking to get one for the same purpose. I am curious what goes on at night in my neighborhood .
    Bushnellģ 8MP Camo Trophy Cam Trail Camera : Cabela's

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    Have any of you encountered agressive coyotes? Where I am just south of Boston, a few guys have had stand off's with coyotes. One actually said he was chased. I really didn't think coyotes did this. FWIW worth, the particular area (Blue Hills) has significant/overpopulated deer situation.

I run into coyotes quite a bit including packs of them, and never had an issue they usually just run away. I'm always cautious out of respect for the animal and don't FLY by them (not that I usually fly by anyone lol) but they for the most part ignore humans. Maybe they were messing with them?
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I run into coyotes quite a bit including packs of them, and never had an issue they usually just run away. I'm always cautious out of respect for the animal and don't FLY by them (not that I usually fly by anyone lol) but they for the most part ignore humans. Maybe they were messing with them?
    This is pretty much what I thought. Not sure if they flew by the coyotes. I know that my Lab LOVES to chase me on my bike, but thats for fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Its important to keep in mind that coyotes are like any other animal, or human. They learn their strengths and weaknesses and adapt constantly. It's not hard for a group of strong dogs to see that they can overpower weak humans and fairly quickly. Weapons help turn the tables, but coyotes aren't intelligent enough to understand what a weapon is, so it can be game-on at any moment.

The key to avoiding being attacked by an animal that has adapted to humans is to show it something it has never seen before. This may be a massive scream, well placed rock throws, sticking beating the ground, or - as has worked for me - becoming the aggressor and charging at the animal. Cause confusion and you'll live another day. Unfortunately the next person who tries it on that animal won't be so lucky!

In a pack environment it only takes a strong pack leader with experience dealing with humans to inspire the rest of the pack to turn from prey to predator.

Moderator Moderator

Never. I had a woods commute here in VT for a 1 1/2 years, so I would hear them often as it was dark on the way home in fall/winter. I never saw one on the commute though, let alone had any aggressive actions from them. One did grab my neighbor's dog in the middle of the day, but it's a mini-dachshund, about the size of a rabbit, way different from taking on a person, even a slow one like me. Between the dog biting and the owner yelling, it was dropped, and lived, after surgery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ran into a pack of wolves at the end of august, no issue, I charged them and they fled.

got buzzed by an owl last night in my yard. I live in Idaho.

Bedwards Of The West
    I spooked a coyote once on a steep trail with a wall on one side, and a drop-off on the other. It had nowhere to go but straight down the trail for a while...it was anything but agressive When it finally found a spot to scramble up the hillside and out of my way, It was more relieved than I was.... I was kind of enjoying the chase.

Weakened Warrior

Iíve seen dozens of coyotes on my rides, and Iím sure theyíve seen me far more often than Iíve seen them. I hear them howl quite frequently on sunset rides. Iíve never had any problems, but thereís some primordial instinct that sends a chill down my spine when they all start howling around me. Twice I have been stopped and watched one trot towards me on the trail, not knowing I was there. When they got about 20 feet from me they stopped, looked at me for about 20 seconds, and then walked off the trail away from me. Neither time were they aggressive or scared.

mtbr member
    the only thing i have seen of late is a fox has run in front of me twice in the last week in the same area..not that this has anything to do with mtb..but several years ago i was fishing in maine at our cabin.. it was a warm summer night and full moon. i was out casting a jitterbug. i cast it and was letting it sit for a minute and twitched it a few times..looked away for a second to take a swig of beer and them splash and my line starts moving..line didnt pull down or out it was going to the side.. low and behold i caught an owl..after getting someone from familys attention the owl had landed on beach. he had his talons wrapped up in the line. my 80 year old mother came down to beach and CARFULLY..untangled the owl and he flew off..

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by fuji tahoe View Post
    ...low and behold i caught an owl..after getting someone from familys attention the owl had landed on beach. he had his talons wrapped up in the line. my 80 year old mother came down to beach and CARFULLY..untangled the owl and he flew off..
    Neat!
    baker

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I saw a dude bass fishing catch an osprey one time when it tagged an 'injured fish' looking lure. That sucker did NOT want to join the fellas on the boat They finally got it wrapped up in a beach towel and got it untangled. Good drama. Props to your 80 year old mom!

Oh yeah, I've had a fox dart across the trail once. I love foxes.

The pine marten took the cake though. Cutest face I've ever seen.

animal encounters-325564.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    from my trail cam. These pics where taken at the top of the drainage.
    My encounter was at the bottom of the drainage. I would not want to take a dog here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails animal encounters-ek000063.jpg  

animal encounters-ek000062.jpg  

animal encounters-ek0000051.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    from my trail cam. These pics where taken at the top of the drainage.
    My encounter was at the bottom of the drainage. I would not want to take a dog here.
    Awesome sights.

All I saw this morning were a few deer, a couple suicidal squirrels and a opossum in my out building. That's the 9th one we've trapped this year. We must be the global epicenter of opossum breeding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I had a murderous ride on Wednesday night. I have four animal main hazards when riding at night. The first is a frog, that looks like a rock when stationary on the trail. The second is a bird that also likes to pretend it is a rock while sleeping on the ground and the third are kamikaze bunnies. The fourth is livestock (cattle/horses) but they're big and easy to see so not a threat. I have also encountered bears, coyotes and big cats but they're a lot rarer so I don't worry so much about them.

No frogs last night - they're an issue earlier in the year. But birds and bunnies were an issue and alas, two probably lost their lives. It was either them or me..

The first casualty of the night was, I think (I'm still not entirely sure), was the bird. I had already spent a couple of hours riding, dodging many birds as I would ride towards them. It's hard to distinguish them from rocks until close. Sometimes you see their eyes glow as you approach them. Usually they wait until you are about 3 feet from them, then they fly up and away. Once one flew straight into my face; that was disgusting. Well on this ride I was heading home, downhill with the wind behind and had a good pace. Round a corner and I see this rock like thing. For a split second I think "bird!". If never moved, I hit it but did not get the typical thunk from a rock. Was it a bird? I'm not totally sure but it didn't feel like a rock strike either. Sorry birdy, I felt bad.

The second casualty was on the steepest, fastest part of my way home. There is a hill with a track. I have hit 45mph on this before but typically top out about 38 mph. This night with the wind behind I was probably running about 40mph on the steepest section. This is at night, on gravel and loose rock with about a 20-25% grade. Right at the fastest point a bunny runs out. I make a small correction to avoid it (there's not much you can do at 40mph) and think I'm good. Then right at the last moment the bunny changes direction and I hear and feel the thud thud and both tires hit it. Sorry bunny. If you had just stayed you course you would've been safe.

I am more afraid of bunnies on the trail than bears and big cats (I've yet to see a mountain lion but have see a bobcat). Bunnies are unpredictable in their moves and I have always thought one going into my wheel would be the death of me. Amazingly in 22 years of cycling this is the first time I have ever hit anything and I hit two animals. I'm thankful that I ran over the bunny rather than have it go into my wheel though. I dread to think of the injury I may have sustained hitting the deck at 40mph.

I feel bad for the animals. My only though is that I made it easier for the local Coyotes and snakes to get a meal that night.
    Those birds are poorwills (best guess), they don't fly for anything and look like trail rocks/pile o poo until you scare one up.

mtbr member
    Saw a bear about 150' away from myself, the wife, and my 3 year old today.

We were out walking on a tame mountain bike trail. Nevertheless, we turned and went the other way. Not chancing ANYTHING with my 3 year old and wife around!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hoping to have an encounter with this guy next week.
    animal encounters-ek000061.jpg
    game cams are like Christmas year round.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Wow, nice! I love the trail cam. I think this may be one of your pine martens right here. It was raining and dude was on the move, so lame pic, but I think that's what it is:

animal encounters-screen-shot-2015-10-05-2.49.24-pm.jpg

Also got a bobcat the other night:

animal encounters-screen-shot-2015-10-05-2.50.05-pm.jpg

And I met a nice dog on the way home from work last week:

animal encounters-isxr6tmo_unhybrukjxcvq41dqvexiivnu0hejsmofo-768x576.jpg

mtbr member

A bloody mess

animal encounters-coyote.jpg
    Whilst JRA one fine morning on The Pioneer Trail just outside of Nevada City, I came across a coyote about 40 feet from the trail. He (she?) was enjoying a breakfast of a freshly killed deer.

Well, as the coyote dug into the torn carcass of said deer and came out with a mouthful of bloody entrails, he tried to pull those intestines free from the body. All that happened was that the deer's body just kinda' moved a bit ('cause those guts are pretty well attached). I surmised it was a fresh kill . The deer's body seemed "pliable" (rigor mortis had not set in), and there wasn't the usual stink associated with rotting flesh. The coyote's snout was a bloody mess. Nature at it's best!

I got off the bike and hid behind a tree to take a cell-phone pic. The coyote noticed me and backed away some, but not too far...gave me a look as if to say "hey, that's my breakfast buddy"!

Raleigh
    I saw this little box turtle out at Headwaters (Wilkesboro, NC) yesterday... he was center trail. At the last second, I remember thinking that this wasn't a rock, and quickly moved to the right to fly by him...

2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    Gloworm XS on bars
    Gloworm Alpha on helmet
    @tubbnation (IG)

Hermit
    Went for a night ride Friday on Sandy Creek Trail, a paved trail through the boonies of western PA.

Spotted big ol' porcupines three separate times on the trail. Those things are slow as can be, and sound like a bulldozer going through the woods in the dark!

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hunting Saturday in north Idaho, I heard a wolf howl, not seconds later the pack joined in. pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post
    Suicide Possum! Great name for a garage band...

Possums have such skanky nasty looking mouths. I would have been freaking out- RABIES! DEMON POSSESSION!!!

Common misperception, opossums aren't rabies carriers:

"A lot of people who call the hotline have the wrong idea about opossums. No, they do not have rabies. In fact it is EXTREMELY rare if even POSSIBLE for opossums to get rabies because their body temperature is too low for rabies to survive and replicate well. The usual reason people think they have rabies is the drooling that opossums do when approached and scared. For the most part though, opossums are all bark and no bite."

Missouri & Illinois Opossum Conflicts and Advice Bi-State Wildlife Hotline Inc.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Common misperception, opossums aren't rabies carriers:

"A lot of people who call the hotline have the wrong idea about opossums. No, they do not have rabies. In fact it is EXTREMELY rare if even POSSIBLE for opossums to get rabies because their body temperature is too low for rabies to survive and replicate well. The usual reason people think they have rabies is the drooling that opossums do when approached and scared. For the most part though, opossums are all bark and no bite."
    Good to know that the one that died in my backyard three weeks ago didn't die of rabies. I discovered it when I walked outside and a vulture flew away. Not many vultures on the scene in the suburbs.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

Bikesexual
    Not sure if you guys have seen this video but damn!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Not sure if you guys have seen this video but damn!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
    Jeebus!

mtbr member
    I forgot about this topic. Think that I got up to page ten. Pretty interesting reading. I think the best one was the attack goose story.

I used to ride my bike from Sheppard AFB to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma to camp out. It was way to hot for a sleeping bag, and I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos. About midnight, I flipped on my generator light and headed back to Wichita Falls. In the pitch black, I heard hoofprints clomping and running on both sides of the road surrounding me. I was in the middle of a herd of buffalos, and I could not see one of them.

I was ready to bale hay on Thursday and it started to rain. Since I was in Burlington, I decided to go for a walk in the State Forest(I did not have time to drive home and get my bike). I walked for about five minutes and I saw this bear up in a tree. I was like 'AWESOME' and grabbed my cellphone. There was a 20' tall pine tree in the way, so I thought if I walked around it I could get a better picture. I went a little farther on the trail and I saw this HUGE bear at the base of the tree lumbering towards me. I have to push 'save' on my cellphone or it gets erased. Somehow I forgot to do that. Plus I had to call my wife and say "Honey, if you never see me again...."
    How am I supposed to pick a line through this.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    I used to ride my bike from Sheppard AFB to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma to camp out. It was way to hot for a sleeping bag, and I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos. About midnight, I flipped on my generator light and headed back to Wichita Falls. In the pitch black, I heard hoofprints clomping and running on both sides of the road surrounding me. I was in the middle of a herd of buffalos, and I could not see one of them.
    I have spent time wandering, hiking, backpacking through Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge and the Charon Gardens Wilderness area. I woke one morning surrounded by wild buffalo. That same experience has been with the wild Longhorns too. Interesting experience.

animal encounters-elk_mountain-_ok.jpg

mtbr member
    Just looked up Wichita Mountains. What an amazing place. Are there any mtn bike trails outside of the Charon Gardens Wilderness Area?

ETA that I did some googling and it looks like all the good stuff is Wilderness designation, so closed to bikes. Beautiful place, though.
    Last edited by June Bug; 11-21-2015 at 06:34 AM.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    A few times I've been riding I came flying around a corner and there was a deer right in the middle of the trail. Luckily my brakes are good, I would've flown right into bambi and co.

This is not mountain biking, but I was kayaking at our local lake and I got attacked by a swan multiple times, those things are scarier than they look!!

Moderator Moderator
    Ermine encounter - already in its winter white coat last weekend here in VT. Pretty bold and curious, he dove into the brush pile when my dog got too close, but then came back out for another look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails animal encounters-ermine3.jpg  

animal encounters-erimine1.jpg  

animal encounters-ermine7.jpg  

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ Really good shots there.

^^^^ Really good shots there.
    Yes indeed and a rare sight in winter white.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^Thanks all, after missing a bear photo a few weeks ago (although I was busy making sure the dog did not chase it), I vowed to bring the camera every walk/ride, and it paid off!

Magically Delicious
    Wandering along some back roads in Roosevelt National Forest in Northern Colorado

animal encounters-img_0252-i.jpg

animal encounters-img_0249-i.jpg

animal encounters-img_0251-i.jpg

Wandering along some back roads in Roosevelt National Forest in Northern Colorado

Name:	IMG_0252-I.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	320.5 KB 
ID:	1030322

Name:	IMG_0249-I.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	1030319

Name:	IMG_0251-I.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	1030323
    Nice!
    All dressed in velvet.

Here's a few encounters around my area of Northern Colorado. Not while riding but just off or on the road.

On my to work one morning I had to stop and let this big boy have the right of way.

Turkey Vultures posing for a creepy Halloween shot.

2 of 4 Bald Eagles dining on a Canadian Goose for Thangsgiving Dinner.

This was on a frozen lake in the middle of town.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-21-2015 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was checking my trail cam in the hidden clear cut which is roughly 3 miles behind a gate. You than go up thru a skid trail thru the timber to the ridge top and the clear cut is on the other side of the ridge. The cut is roughly 200 yards wide and almost a mile long. I entered the clear cut via the skid trail about 3 pm to check my camera and look for a buck. I went and sat down on a stump. Sunset is 4:00pm, right around 3:50 pm I hear a wolf howl. I than hear the same wolf howl again. So I howl back at it. That wolf responds, so I howl back, that one responds and another one howls in return. I than howl again, and the whole pack goes into a frenzy. This goes on for roughly 5 minutes. Than it goes quiet. I start making my way back to the clear cut entrance as I am losing light quickly. The moon comes out from behind the clouds and a wolf howls. I howl, and a wolf howls real close, it is coming in. I go back to my original spot and can only see maybe 100 yards thru my binoculars. To dark, I than make my way back to the clear cut entrance, and right at the entrance I howl, The original one howls back and the one that was coming in, howls right from where I started howling. The howls actually had a where are you sound to it. Pretty fricken cool. Basically howled back and forth for about 30-40 minutes. I just flat out ran out of daylight. I than walked the 10 minutes to my bike and road the 3 miles out with headlamps and bike lights.

mtbr dismember

Black Bears no big deal

Saw these three this morning.

animal encounters-5.jpg

animal encounters-3.jpg

animal encounters-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I was checking my trail cam in the hidden clear cut which is roughly 3 miles behind a gate. You than go up thru a skid trail thru the timber to the ridge top and the clear cut is on the other side of the ridge. The cut is roughly 200 yards wide and almost a mile long. I entered the clear cut via the skid trail about 3 pm to check my camera and look for a buck. I went and sat down on a stump. Sunset is 4:00pm, right around 3:50 pm I hear a wolf howl. I than hear the same wolf howl again. So I howl back at it. That wolf responds, so I howl back, that one responds and another one howls in return. I than howl again, and the whole pack goes into a frenzy. This goes on for roughly 5 minutes. Than it goes quiet. I start making my way back to the clear cut entrance as I am losing light quickly. The moon comes out from behind the clouds and a wolf howls. I howl, and a wolf howls real close, it is coming in. I go back to my original spot and can only see maybe 100 yards thru my binoculars. To dark, I than make my way back to the clear cut entrance, and right at the entrance I howl, The original one howls back and the one that was coming in, howls right from where I started howling. The howls actually had a where are you sound to it. Pretty fricken cool. Basically howled back and forth for about 30-40 minutes. I just flat out ran out of daylight. I than walked the 10 minutes to my bike and road the 3 miles out with headlamps and bike lights.

Very cool experience, thanks for sharing.

And where was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	1031999

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	1031998

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	1031997
    Great shots and the cubs are on their own come spring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	1031999

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	1031998

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	1031997
    My mountain biker tastes too bloody....my mountain biker tastes too fatty....my mountain biker tastes just right!
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Those bears look fat and healthy, but waaaay to close for comfort. Great pics.
    Jon Stewart

Bedwards Of The West
    Being a mountain dweller, this was a new one for me.

animal encounters-screen-shot-2015-11-30-8.19.15-am.jpg

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Better than my first bear encounter.... I didn't know he was standing where he was, and he didn't know I was coming towards him...in the dark... all I knew was the boulder moaned in pain when I crashed into it and I was then too busy seeing ground-stars-ground-stars-ground-bush-stars as I tumbled down the trail. Bear went crashing off into the woods not to be encountered again (by me anyway).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Magically Delicious
    Rolling along the trail, minding my business, when from nowhere, something flashes by from above and to my left. I just caught it in my peripheral vision and initially, I thought a limb from a tree had fallen from above. I stopped and turned around on the trail to see this (roughly) 6 foot long snake in the lower branches of the tree I just brushed by. HOLY SH!T! A bull snake perhaps?

Sorry for the picture quality (blur), but this snake was trying desperately to get away from me as I took these few images.

animal encounters-20150401_180004-i.jpg

animal encounters-20150401_180018-i.jpg

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast