I HUCK WITH CHUCK

Advice on summer riding trip.

I'm in the process of getting together some plans for a big summer riding trip. Whistler was originally our plan but we're already going to Keystone, CO to DH for a week, and Snowshoe whenever we feel like driving up there. So we've decided to aim this trip at more of an epic trailriding trip. We riding big loops in Pisgah National forest almost every weekend so we're looking for long and rugged singletrack.

on my list so far:

Crested Butte
    Utah (brian head/st george area probably)
    Maybe somewhere in AZ?
    Maybe somewhere in the PNW?

I've already ridden brian head area of utah, but I'd like to go back and ride the trails near bryce canyon again. I've been to Tahoe twice so thats out. Any other recommendations? I live on the east coast so nothing over here.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtfulPirate
    I'm in the process of getting together some plans for a big summer riding trip. Whistler was originally our plan but we're already going to Keystone, CO to DH for a week, and Snowshoe whenever we feel like driving up there. So we've decided to aim this trip at more of an epic trailriding trip. We riding big loops in Pisgah National forest almost every weekend so we're looking for long and rugged singletrack.

on my list so far:

Crested Butte
    Utah (brian head/st george area probably)
    Maybe somewhere in AZ?
    Maybe somewhere in the PNW?

I've already ridden brian head area of utah, but I'd like to go back and ride the trails near bryce canyon again. I've been to Tahoe twice so thats out. Any other recommendations? I live on the east coast so nothing over here.
    first thought, a week in keystone?? seems like a lot unless they build a lot of new trails for next summer...i will throw out the obvious and then some others...

fruita/GJ of course, salt lake, sun valley idaho, bend oregon for the obvious

there are some great rides off monarch pass outside of salida, co...

dont skip hartmans in gunnison, between gunnison and CB is the spring creek drainage which has some great rides...really you could just spend the summer in colorado and be happy...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Flowtronic engineer
    Yep, I'd say a whole week at Keystone would be a bit much. Winter Park has great trailriding and may be doing some more DH/FR things next year. Durango has awesome riding. Park City, UT is good too and you could spend some time riding lifts at Deer Valley. Snowbasin's lift setup is pretty cool. Not super tech and a fair bit of pedalling, but it is a 17 min. lift ride for a good 40min of DH rallying, with an option to do a 20 mile 4k+ shuttle. Brianhead would be a good place to stop in the summer. Gooseberry and St George will likely be waaay hot. I'd recommend hanging in CO, UT and maybe hitting Jackson Hole, WY. Heading out to the PNW adds a fair bit of driving. Oh yeah, gotta hit Angel Fire too for some DH.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Oakridge, Oregon. Hundreds of miles of trails. Shuttles available. MTB Oregon in mid August. Easy to spend a week riding here.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    We're basing our week in keystone, but we'll be riding 5 days. Probably 2 at keystone, one at vail, then figure out a couple more things.

Members who have read this thread: 0