Motion activated

Abstinence in Moab

Some pics from our October Moab trip.

Pics are from Kokopelli Down, Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back and Slick Rock.

The Porcupine/Kokopelli single track was fun and Amasa back was killer, but I was less than impressed with Slick Rock. It was like some bizarre road ride. Maybe we did the loop in the wrong direction, but the trail killed your momentum and had no flow for the most part.

Can't wait to go back (with more suspension) and try some more off the beaten path stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Motion activated
    some more....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Enjoyed the pics! Slickrock isn't my fav either, but at least now you can say you've done it!

Yay! Bikes !
    also excellent pics Steve. thanks.

Freshly Fujified

Another gorgeous shoot

It inspires the rest of us who have yet to experience these MTB Meccas. Thanks for sharing.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

slack jawed
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolate girl
    Enjoyed the pics! Slickrock isn't my fav either, but at least now you can say you've done it!
    I feel the same way about Slickrock - - ride it just to say you have. I only ride it now if I'm in Moab with someone who's never ridden it before.

So, besides saying I've ridden Slickrock, I can also say I've ridden it from town. I'll never make that mistake again.
    I've got nothing witty to say....

Dude...
    So, besides saying I've ridden Slickrock, I can also say I've ridden it from town. I'll never make that mistake again.
    Ditto, or how about porcupine from slickrock campground.. wow that sucked...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessep
    A good way to ride Porcupine Rim to avoid the shuttle (and double the scenery) is to ride UP the singletrack from the River to the top and the just ride back down. You need to get an early start to avoid the masses coming down the trail, but riding up offers another challenge and minimizes the driving. Plus you see things on the way up that you might miss on the downhill.

Very nice pics, btw

Dude...
    I was talking about riding back up to slickrock from the river after the whole ride was over. Probably not somethin I'd repeat again. I like your idea better...

mtbr member
    I might be one of the few but I enjoy the Slickrock trail for the challenging climbs and amazing views. I usually try to make it my first ride of any trip to Moab, hitting it in the afternoon of my arrival (after driving 9 hours) then head to Moab Brewery.

Love Porcupine Rim too. Last time I rode it I started at the hotel in town and rode up past the campground to the trailhead, down Porcupine Rim, then back to the hotel on the road. A 30+ mile freaking grind fest in a cold November drizzle that was exhausting, brutal, painfull and absolutely amazing. Man the beer and pizza tasted great that night.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I might be one of the few but I enjoy the Slickrock trail for the challenging climbs and amazing views.
    I'd hazard a guess that the slick rock haters are in the minority - my guidebook (Mel's) raved about it and said it was the most fun you could have with your pants on or something'

I have to agree about the views though. The wifey and I hiked in a bit every afternoon with some beers and watched the sun go down. Magical place.

One afternoon we saw this guy and his passenger hit the slick rock practice loop on a crotch rocket. Crazy people.

Thanks for all the kind words people – here’s one more shot - "the staircase" at the start of Amasa back.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (67.3 KB, 601 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (86.2 KB, 599 views)

mtbr member
    I think the key to Slickrock is to avoid peak times. That trail can be no fun when "waiting in line" at the bottom of each climb.

I've always loved Amasa back. Have you seen the Imax movie "Everest"? Great shot of Ed Viesturs (or a stunt double) on a training ride at Amasa Back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    I might be one of the few but I enjoy the Slickrock trail for the challenging climbs and amazing views. I usually try to make it my first ride of any trip to Moab, hitting it in the afternoon of my arrival (after driving 9 hours) then head to Moab Brewery.

Love Porcupine Rim too. Last time I rode it I started at the hotel in town and rode up past the campground to the trailhead, down Porcupine Rim, then back to the hotel on the road. A 30+ mile freaking grind fest in a cold November drizzle that was exhausting, brutal, painfull and absolutely amazing. Man the beer and pizza tasted great that night.
    I’m with you guys: I love Slickrock, will never get tired of it

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimc
    I've always loved Amasa back. Have you seen the Imax movie "Everest"? Great shot of Ed Viesturs (or a stunt double) on a training ride at Amasa Back.
    Ahhhh....., I didn't know that. When I saw that movie I was very impressed with the MTB footage. I recall wishing we had stuff like that in Australia. Now I live just 5 hours away . Life is good!

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I won't do slickrock unless i'm in Moab with a first timer. Too many more fun trails including double porcupine!

Trail Goddess

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Some pics from our October Moab trip.

Pics are from Kokopelli Down, Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back and Slick Rock.

The Porcupine/Kokopelli single track was fun and Amasa back was killer, but I was less than impressed with Slick Rock. It was like some bizarre road ride. Maybe we did the loop in the wrong direction, but the trail killed your momentum and had no flow for the most part.

Can't wait to go back (with more suspension) and try some more off the beaten path stuff.
    I needed to remember how beautiful the views were in Moab. Porcupine was definately a fantastic ride (well, mostly). Great photos.

Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Great shot of Ed Viesturs (or a stunt double) on a training ride at Amasa Back.
    I seem to recall it was actually Tattoo Lou DeAngelis as stunt double.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessep
    I did that in July of 2004. I made it back to town and ate lunch and relaxed in order to psychologically prepare myself for that grueling 3 mile or so steep uphill back to the slickrock campground in 100 degree heat. Man, was I glad to finally arrive at my vehicle, get in, and crank up the AC!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Great Pixs!!
    I was in Moab in October for the first time.
    Rode Slickrock because I had to but I am not a big fan of it. There was no flow to it even though it had great views. (Also quite busy when I was there Oct 21, not a big fan of crowds and 4X4's)
    Really like Porcupine Rim specially UPS and LPS.
    Amasa Back was good specially Jackson's Trail down.
    Loved Poison Spider Mesa specially the Portal trail.
    Sovereign Trail was good specially since it was singletrack but lacked any good views.
    Burro Pass was really good specially for the views, elevation gain & the change of riding conditions like trees, snow, mud......
    Barlett Wash for the fun.

Had a great time in Moab, a very cool place.
    Moab Brewery was a good spot to stop after a hard day of riding.

mtbr member
    You can add me to the list of slickrock haters. I've been there and done that. If i am gonna put that much effort into something, it better be fun. To some people, that trail is fun, it's not to me. It did have nice views though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

"Everest"

Part of that sequence was filmed with a special permit from BLM to allow them to ride under Corona Arch. That's a cool little hike for when you are burned out on riding.

I think the key to Slickrock is to avoid peak times. That trail can be no fun when "waiting in line" at the bottom of each climb.

Members who have read this thread: 0