I dream on two wheels

4 Days on the Tabeguache Trail

Having done the Kokopelli Last year with much success, we set our sights on The Tabeguache trail this year. Connecting Montrose to Grand Junction with 150 miles of the fire roads and single track across and over the Uncompahgre Plateau. We gave our self 4 days 3 nights to finish the ride and dropped off food and water at predetermined campsites the day before. I rode a 2009 Santa Cruz Nomad and my friend rode a 2008 Biancchi Rita 29er single speed.
    Overall the trip was pretty smooth. No injuries, or mechanicals, unless you count a broken but ride-able frame.

Packed and ready to go.

Photobucket

Getting ready at the TH in Montrose. I am pretty excited at this point to start peddeling after months of preparation and mapping. Non of the Tabeguache is really mapped too well, not nearly as well as the Kokopelli and it took a good amount of time to map it out.

Photobucket

The first small drainage we had to hike out of. They only got bigger from here.

Photobucket

We did get lost twice and this was the result of the first time, bush whacking what seemed like straight up hill out of a drainage through thick skin tearing shrubs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

One of the "highlights" of the trail is a section named The Roubideau as is crosses 15 drainage's. These drainage's are quite big, some several miles across and usually require a 15-30 min hike-a-bike out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Most mornings were pretty chilly and spent like this, waiting for the sun to come up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Water refill

Photobucket

Big Drainage

Photobucket

We spotted this about 15 miles from the end. No problem to drop the seat a little and ride it out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The End.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Map and Profile.
    Photobucket

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Simonns; 11-10-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Whiskey

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Holy smokes.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

meh....
    sweet!

mtbr member
    Nice trip!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thats awesome! I would love to do something like this one day!

mtbr member
    Hardcore! Nice
    Troy
    Knoxville, TN
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon C
    2014 Canfield Bros Yelli Screamy

Des(s)ert Rat
    Very cool! Far more adventurous and epic than the Kokopelli! The singletrack on the Uncompahgre is rarely cleared of downfall, often overgrown and hard to find!

mtbr member
    Sweet, Thanks for sharing the stokage.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

Team Inflexible
    Nice... I have been waiting to see this TR! Congrats on a great trip.

Couple of questions....

Compare Tabeguace to the Kokopelli?

And what pack and rack combo are you using?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Awesome!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Looks like it was quite the adventure. Cool!

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Nice... I have been waiting to see this TR! Congrats on a great trip.

Couple of questions....

Compare Tabeguace to the Kokopelli?

And what pack and rack combo are you using?
    Hey Jaydude, comparing the two rides:
    IMO The Tab is harder for a couple of reasons: The lack of documentation and maps made it a challenge. I found myself second guessing turns, especially on The Roubideau section. It is a mess of logging roads back there, pretty easy to get lost and find yourself at the bottom of a ravine with no clear way out. The GPS was key on this trip, whereas on the Koko its pretty well signed and I didn't really use the GPS for route finding.

More hike a bike on the Tab. A couple of the drainage's can be ridden out of, but most cannot, at least not by me with all my gear. Some really steep sections of slick rock towards the end.

I would say the Koko is a more fun to ride based on amount of single track, the scenery, and you get to end of Porc Rim. The Tab definitely has views, tons of Aspens which were almost peaking on our ride. You go from desert, to pine tree and aspen forests, then back to desert. But I think the canyons and the landscape on the koko is a little more awe inspiring.

If I was to do it again, the only thing I would change is the location of the 2nd camp a little closer. Day 2 ended up being a 10 hour 52 miles day that ended in the dark.

I recommend it if you have the time. Anyway you look at it, you get to ride your bike for a couple days through some beautiful country.

As for the rack/pack combo. I bought one of the Sette seat post racks and rack bag for about $20 from pricepoint.com. Nothing fancy and its held up though the Koko and Tab trails. I wish the rack was a little longer to fit my sleeping bag better, but it works.
    -Simonns
    Whiskey

Members who have read this thread: 0