mtbr member
    Jan 2011

1st bike, 1st ride in many years!

Hello all,
    For the last 17 years due to the kind of job I had I have had virtually no excercise other than an occasional hunt, etc.. But being just retired because of knee surgery, on going problems with it, etc., being 55 yrs old and weighing 310lbs, I figure it is time I get some excersize and do something about it. So I have decided to make a change in my lifestyle, or else I will be dead before you know it! No more sitting for hours day after day watching TV, reading, computer, etc..

The doc said I will never be able to run again, and walking or standing any length of time would be bad for my knee. He recommended I get a bicycle to get excersize; no jarring and all to my knee with all my weight on it. So yester day I went to Walmart and bought me a Mongoose 29" Decepter Moutain Bike I think it is called. I thought all they made were 26 inchers. But anyway, just rode it today for the first time.

I only did a couple of miles. But for someone like me that has not had any real excersize in years, with a bad knee, that is a start!! For the first 100 yards or so my thighs and bad knee were on fire. But after that it quit hurting, although I could feel it working them. But on slight upgrades you could tell I was out of shape. My heart was pounding here and there, thighs burning, etc..

Time I got home I had worked up a bit of a slight sweat (cool out). But I feel great y'all! My lungs and chest feel almost cleaned out or refreshed or something. Dang I feel good y'all! And proud of myself for finally taking that first step to better my health and change my lifestyle. I intend on riding that bike every day, longer and longer each day. I have plans to go ride some trails I have read about over in some of our parks and National Forests, etc..

Like I said, my bike is a Mongoose 29" Deception Mountain Bike from Walmart, frosty green and functioned flawlessly the few times I changed gears. I could feel the front shock/forks move a time or two (but I weigh 310). Even as heavy as I am it was such a joy to ride, picked right up and those big wheels just roll over most stuff. I know it is not a highdollar bike, but I am tickled pink with it.

I feel so good, almost like a new me. It is hard to put into words!! But I can't wait until tomorrow to ride some more!! I hae it sitting in my living room! Just wanted to share my experience with everyone!
    Freebooter

mtbr dismember

Welcome youngster

Welcome, always nice to see young people taking up exercise
    As one with two bad knees I can tell you that proper seat height is critical and most beginners have theirs set way too low. Here is a link to how to set your seat height: http://www.ehow.com/how_14103_determ...ct-saddle.html
    Also make sure you "spin" in lower gears, try for higher rpm's. Too many beginners also tend to use too high of a gear. That is really bad for the knees and wears your muscles out very quickly. Don't worry about how fast you go. Just stay in lower gears and try to work up to longer and longer rides. It will help you lose weight a lot faster and avoid injury.

mtbr member
    Congratulations . Your story should serve as a real inspiration for onthers like me. Ive been in a depressed slump for many, many months. Its like Ive been eating more and more due to my own pitty party. The weather has been awful, which has given me another excuse not to go for a ride. Hopefully when it dries up, and I can get off my lazy ass,..I'll go for a ride and be rejuvenated like yourself.

Again,..congratulations, and just keep pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Welcome, always nice to see young people taking up exercise
    As one with two bad knees I can tell you that proper seat height is critical and most beginners have theirs set way too low. Here is a link to how to set your seat height: http://www.ehow.com/how_14103_determ...ct-saddle.html
    Also make sure you "spin" in lower gears, try for higher rpm's. Too many beginners also tend to use too high of a gear. That is really bad for the knees and wears your muscles out very quickly. Don't worry about how fast you go. Just stay in lower gears and try to work up to longer and longer rides. It will help you lose weight a lot faster and avoid injury.
    I have a question that I should've known by now. When you say to use lower gears for beginers,..are those the gears that would cause me to pedal at a higher rate? If so, then those must be the gears that "I" personally don't feel alot of resistance,..just alot of pedaling right?

Ride or die

Keep rolling and watch your nutrition; before long the weight will melt off.

mtbr dismember

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by dadstoy
    I have a question that I should've known by now. When you say to use lower gears for beginers,..are those the gears that would cause me to pedal at a higher rate? If so, then those must be the gears that "I" personally don't feel alot of resistance,..just alot of pedaling right?
    Correct. Using higher rpm's (high cadence) you stay aerobic and you can ride a very long time. High gears and low rpm's make you go anaerobic and fatigue your muscles very quickly.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Keep at it !

I am my heaviest at 227 and decided to restrict myself <2000 cal/day. It has been almost a week.

I think crashing hard on my ribs last October and then tearing something a month later has caused me to evaluate my overeating/stress/mood etc.

I will need to get this sore spot above my navel checked though. It seems to be a tiny percent bigger over the past two months and cycling seems to make it slightly more tender. Some sort of hernia I suppose. When I decide and get it fixed I hope it will not keep me off bike for long.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Correct. Using higher rpm's (high cadence) you stay aerobic and you can ride a very long time. High gears and low rpm's make you go anaerobic and fatigue your muscles very quickly.
    Ive noticed the opposite.Using a higher gear keeps me more in my zone and gives me a better entry into technical stuff.
    I rarely get off the middle ring on my 3x9 bikes. 72 rpm is my cadence.

BTW congrats to the OP for getting here.

Gravity's Gone
    Great post. Welcome aboard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks y'all. I think I am going to take my bike to get properly tuned, check bearings grease, etc.. I noticed that it is very hard if not impossible for me to change gear range and can only go into a couple of gears. So I figure the guys at Walmart that put stuff together might not have put it together just quite right! But after that, all should be well.
    Freebooter
    Sovereign State of Alabama

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    be careful. it's easy to get addicted. then all your time and money goes to bikes and bike stuff. don't say that you weren't warned

mtbr member
    " I think I am going to take my bike to get properly tuned, check bearings grease, etc.. I noticed that it is very hard if not impossible for me to change gear range and can only go into a couple of gears. So I figure the guys at Walmart that put stuff together might not have put it together just quite right"

My .02. Bring the bike back to Wally World while you still can and get the best bike you can afford from your LBS (Local Bike Shop). The price you paid for the bike plus what the LBS will charge you to tune up a Wally Bike will probably get you a good entry level bike.

The two LBS by me (so I assume most around the country) offer free tune ups and adjustments on bikes they sell. This adds up fa$t. Any new bike will need to be adjusted after the new cables stretch after the first rides. My LBS is free.

The other thing is your Wally frame is whatever size it is. The LBS will fit you for a small, medium. large or XL frame. I couldn't believe the difference I felt going from my K Mart Huffy to a LBS fitted Giant Brand bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks again. I've been to the LBS twice and it was closed. I will go by there tomorrow and check what they have and they have something in my range, I might jjust take this one back and get one there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Congrats on your first ride! Your enthusiasm is infectious. I had that same ride over a year ago following nearly a decade out of the saddle. 3 miles in I was grinning ear to ear and about to puke from exertion but my passion for riding was rekindled. I quit smoking, dropped 25 lbs and feel great. I'm really excited to hear how the next few weeks, months, years go for you. Keep up the good work!

Also, these guys arent kidding about the addictive nature of cycling. I started out 18 months ago with a rigid 95' stumpjumper on CL for 150$. 10K later I have 3 bikes and one more on layaway along with a closet full of clothes.

MrR

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    no joke abt the $: Since 99 I'm on my 4th MTB, and 2d road bike. That's not counting the department store Murray that I got in Ft Sill area in 92 or 93 that got me hooked. trips, clothes, tools, bike racks, nutririon n on n on.

but there's way more expensive endeavors.

no complaints here.

the advice is sage to get an entry level bike from the LBS ASAP.

the 1st upgrade u may want to look at will be clipless pedals as you will find your feet n legs flail around a lot less on techie terrain.

have tons of fun !

It's about showing up.

On getting started

We say use the legs, don't work them. Get used to the motion and let you body get used to the activity. EZ gears.

Congratulations.

mtbr member
    Welcom to the club man! It's a good addiction. Stay consistent with your riding and you will see improvement fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hello all again,
    I took it out today, and man my legs, mainly my thighs, were so sore (just 2nd time)!!!! I rode it anyway. Four times end to end in my apt complex parking lot is a little over a mile according to my vehicle's trip meter.

But remember when I said it was hard to change gears? Yesterday I stayed in one gear although it seemed to slip into another gear on its on. Today I purposely tried to change gears and I couldn't. If I tried to force it it would start making a clattering sound. The range adjuster was set on #2 and the right gear thing was on # 7 when I bought it, but it is fairly easy to peddle like that. When I tried to force it to go into #6, it got harder and made that noise. It almost seems they have the numbers backwards or something, or the cables or something.

So tomorrow, I am going by the LBS and see what they have, and if there is something I can afford I am taking it back to Walmart and get my money back, and going to the LBS and put that money down on a good bike. If everything at the LBS is too expensive for right now, I will take my Deceptor in their and get it tuned, lubed, cables and what have you checked, etc., and just keep it for right now. I can't wait until tomorrow to do one or the other!

I tell you something else I am excited about, and that is riding some of these trails in our National Forests, parks, etc, in these parts!!
    Freebooter
    Alabama

Members who have read this thread: 0