Wrist Fracture Recovery. What's your story?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Wrist Fracture Recovery?

I suffered a distal radius fracture while hitting a drop on July 15, 2018. The surgeon put in a volar plate with 8 screws that same night. I also had a complete scapholunate tear and a complete ulna styloid fracture with some damage to my TFCC. The ulna styloid was not fixed, and my ortho seems to think the scapholunate tear was a prior injury, because it was pushed back together but has since separated again.

16 weeks later, I'm still having severe pain and stiffness in my hand. My flexion and extension is about 25% of normal. My distal and ulnar deviation is about 10-15%. I can now fully squeeze a piece of medium density memory foam but not much else than that. I'm worried about regaining my grip strength and ability to ride at the same level again. PT seems to just irritate it at this point and I'm worried about this pain turning into CRPS.

So I'm wondering how other's wrist fracture recovery has went. Is this somewhat common with this injury?
    Last edited by Extremo; 11-14-2018 at 05:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I had the same thing happen on July 3rd, 2018. I had a plate installed a few days later. After about 8 weeks it was doing alright, and was doing projects around the house fine. Then at some point I started getting a shooting pain at the base of my thumb and soreness on the top of my wrist. After the 3 month period, I started trying to ride again. Each time left me sore so I took a break for a couple more months. Now it's been almost 7 months and I still experience a fair amount of soreness after riding, and my range of motion has greatly reduced. I'm really hoping it heals up by the time the snow melts around here.

mtbr member
    Extremo, how's your wrist these days?

Found this thread looking for grip recommendations post wrist fracture...

Had an open/compound ulna fracture and simple radial fracture (both distal) August 2018. Plates put onto both within hours. Loooong ass recovery; as of January, my ulna still wasn't quite fully healed. I graduated PT in January, as well, but still have TFCC pain occasionally. Those are generally damaged in these fractures. PT told me to proceed with caution in the gym (where I felt the most pain), and if it's still painful in another 6 months, my surgeon might have to do a little cleaning up when he takes my ulna plate out (probably November) or I can try steroid shots. Thankfully, the pain has improved.

Still doing all my ROM exercises and PT strengthening but staying right underneath the pain threshold. I've been on the gravel bike but not the MTB yet (though I'm cleared to ride, trails have been muddy here). The ulna plate gives me trouble and it gets achy with big temperature swings, but it's getting a lot better. I can do planks, pushups, and I'm working towards hanging/pullups again.

So... anyone have enduro-ish grip recs for small hands the first season back after a major wrist fracture?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey Lucy,

It'll be 8 months tomorrow ( a little over 34 weeks). The last 4 weeks I've seen the most progress. The nightly pain has started to go away and my range of motion is increasing to about 95%, which will probably be my new baseline. My grip strength is returning and I'm lifting weights again in the last few weeks. The first 7 months seemed hopeless, but it's really turned around lately. I haven't gotten on a bike yet because we still have a lot of snow on the ground here in NH but I feel I could ride XC trails without any issues. Strength and stability-wise I still have a little ways to go. I'm only about 70 percent from what I was at so I don't know how soon I'll be back on the downhill bike but again the progress is increasing more rapidly than it was in prior months so it could be sooner than I anticipated. I'll keep you posted.

As for a good thin grip, I've found the Danny McCaskill Lizard Skin model is a narrow diameter. My grip is weaker the larger the diameter I'm holding so I'm avoiding grips with a lot of chunk to them for the time being.