Ultimate Clydesdale
    Nov 2009

Torn LCL and fractured fibia, flew into tree

Well yesterday morning I hit the trail with 3 buddies of mine for some free riding/ trail riding. We were at Buck Creek, a sweet 12 mile single track just outside of Abilene TX. We were at the top of a run called "Dumb and Dumber" and I was the last to go down. Its a pretty decent hill with banked S curves that allows you to get some nice speed. At the bottom of the run there is a "creek" that is about 8ft wide with a bridge over it but the bridge has a dirt lip built into it which allows you to clear the creek without even touching the bridge. I wanted to clear the bridge by 6ft at least (because one of my buddies had cleared it by 3ft....go figure). I had good lines and speed going down the hill and everything felt OK. Before hitting the lip it seemed as if I wasnt going to hit it perpendicular and I should have pulled the plug but I didnt. Flying through the air I saw that I was heading straight for a mesquite tree that was about 9 or 10 inches in diameter. the tree was about 20 ft from where I landed and I was really moving maybe 25mph. Not sure how but in my effort to avoid hitting the tree head on i took it straight accross my right thigh (I was sideways in the air) and it spun me around hard before I landed on the ground. When My thigh hit the tree my lower leg wrapped around the tree adn severly hyperexteded it. I thought I broke my femur for sure because it was a HARD hit. There was alot of pain but it was pretty undiscernable as to what I had done to myself until a minute or two after the crash. When I stood up my leg bent backwards instead of locking out. my buddies helped me get out of there and I called my doc. After reviewing the Xrays there is a break at the top of the fibia where my lcl attatches and my doc thinks my lcl was ripped in half. There is a good chance some of the other ligaments inside the knee were damaged also, Will find out after my MRI. I have enough time on the books at work to miss 4-5 weeks of work and still get payed and be able to take care of my family. Please pray that I can be back to work before it affects my paycheck. I learned my lesson for sure. Im not psuedo free rider, Im sticking to XC. Please keep my in you thoughts and prayes, Im in lots of pain.

Ultimate Clydesdale
    Nov 2009
    Ok went to ortho surgeon on Thursday, he is pretty sure my LCL is intact since the fibula is broken, go figure that a ligament was stronger than the bone, I had an MRI done that day and will review it next Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed that there isnt much internal damage that would require surgery. Im getting around pretty good, not too much pain except for when I first get up. Ya'll be carefull out there and pick your lines well!

mtbr member
    Good news if it is "just" your fibula. Bone heals a lot better than ligaments or a meniscus.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Marcia

Ultimate Clydesdale
    Nov 2009
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good luck, man. The equation of "risk/reward" might change for you now that you know how quickly it can all turn to sh!t. Especially with a family to support. It's funny how we all consider our sport "worth it" till we're laid up in the hospital wondering what we were thinking. Not to preach here but I've also had my own potentially devastating injury recently. Could have died, still alive. And walking. Thank God. Again, good luck on your recovery.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Ultimate Clydesdale
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Good luck, man. The equation of "risk/reward" might change for you now that you know how quickly it can all turn to sh!t. Especially with a family to support. It's funny how we all consider our sport "worth it" till we're laid up in the hospital wondering what we were thinking. Not to preach here but I've also had my own potentially devastating injury recently. Could have died, still alive. And walking. Thank God. Again, good luck on your recovery.
    You are exactly right. The equation has changed. I just wanna be able to go ride and enjoy myself without the urge to be airborn. Cross country is the name of my new game, no more freeriding.... I just want to be able to ride again and to run again and I will be thankful that I am out there being passed by everyone and content in watching them take big drops, sweet jumps, and ultimatley big risks.

Ultimate Clydesdale
    Nov 2009
    Ok so a little update. My doc and I decided to go ahead with surgery for a possible torn meniscus. Once under the knife it was discovered that the meniscus was perfect but the ACL was halfway torn in two. I had ACL reconstruction on 2-8 and the accident had occured on 1-20. Here it is 2-19 and I have had my stitches taken out and Im hobbling around with one crutch instead of 2. Rehab is going well. Cant wait till i can run and bike again!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice work Bro! Keep it up!!! (recovering from herniated disc surgery myself, almost there....)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the fibula doesn't support alot of weight , since your knee did bend backwards something obviously is f'd up. At very best ,like the dr said the ligement is intact and "only" the fibula is broken. It sounds like they should screw a metal plate in the the pieces of the bone to put things back together. Once the fib is reconnected you may be able to kind of walk on it with crutches maybe after a few weeks when the swelling goes down. Depending on how bad the break is and your drs feelings on the subject you might or might not be in a cast,at least a brace. A broken fibulais not necessarily a terrible injury but because it doesn't bear a lot of weight sometimes it's a slow healer. What kind of work do you do? can you work on crutches or in a cast? might i suggest "mybrokenleg.com" ,calcium, and getting an old schwinn airdyne(or something similar) that can be pedaled with one leg and your arms ,staying active will improve circulation and make you heal faster. Good luck. edit. Didn't see the latest of your posts, good deal

Members who have read this thread: 0