mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Should I go get stitches? **WARNING! GRAPHIC CONTENT**

I just got back home from my tuesday afternoon ride. Unfortunately, at the end of the trail I tipped over while climbing a bridge and fell sideways because I couldn't get my left pedal cleat loose. It was not a bad fall at all, I even thought I was completely fine till I looked at my right calf to see that something cut a gash behind it about 3" long and 1/2" deep. It's kindof a straight down cut that split in the middle. I sprayed water on the wound and kept on riding because I had about 2 miles left to get home. The wound did not hurt at all, in fact it barely bled out before I put some water and afterwards it had begun to dry. My performance wasn't even affected by it, the only way it bothered me was when I'd pass by people who had to see this huge wound on my leg.
    -
    -
    -
    Here comes the picture...
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

This is it as of 15 mins ago. I hopped into the shower as soon as I got home and cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water. Then I patted it dry with paper napkins before taking pictures and starting this thread. So far my leg is fine except for a little sting from the wound; and so far it only bleeds at a rate of one bead rolling down to my foot per 15 minutes. I'm about to grab a large band aid to cover it and grab a bite to eat.

The burning question in my mind is, will it heal properly without stitches? I'm not hard-headed enough to refuse a doctor for an injury that urgently needs medical care, I don't want to lose my right leg and never ride again because of a stupid gash.

The issue with seeing a doctor is that my mom's ideal life is one in which I will never ride a bicycle. If I have to see a doctor I'll pay the bills but I'll have to ask her for my insurance card- which she pays for. If she sees this wound, there will be arguing and there will be tears and I'm sure that I won't ride a bike for a good year or two. I'm already buying gear so that I can ditch the car and ride my bike to school during the summer, so that will be a serious bummer. Please, I need advice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ouch! Major chance for infection and not OK to just hope it heals right. I see your dillema but I think you should get proper medical attention and hope that your mother will eventually come around to be more understanding of "accidents". Imagine if you don't get proper care and your mother finds out what happened and that you didn't tell her. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I believe you should have that looked at.
    mike

is buachail foighneach me
    Lie. Tell your mom you tripped while walking and fell on some broken glass. I would recommend stitches if you have that option. The edges of that wound are going to need to be touching each other for it to heal properly/quickly. If you have butterfly bandages those will help hold it together, but you would have to be exceptionally vigilant about not just cleaning, but disinfecting it.

mtbr member
    See a doc. That thing is pretty wide and you'd be surprised how F'd up a "mere fleshwound" can become (see many other Rider down posts). She'll find out one way or another. If you fess up now, at least you can demonstrate to her some good judgment concerning the injuries that you are, no doubt, going to experience as a rider. Gotta think long term.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    and in the future, if you are gonna be riding skinnies wear platform pedals....

AZ
    banned
    Go see the doc. Huge chance of infection , needs to be treated by someone competent .

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    could use some super glue but better to get it stapled. i opened my shin up with an axe and came clean about playing with an axe...dont regret it( going to ER I mean)
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you are considering getting sutured up, you should go right away. After 12h, the risk of infection is high enough where they will not stitch you up.

Members who have read this thread: 0