severed finger- Mtbr.com

Thread: severed finger

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

severed finger

This is one Im sure is unique. Today I was tuning my fork. my rebound adjustment is at the bottom of my left fork. I hopped of my bike to turn it. I was squatting beside the bike, right hand up on the seat and left hand turning the knob with my thumb and middle finger. My index finger was just dangling there, not being used. No biggie right? I lost my balance just alittle, and the bike rolled foward not even a foot. as that happened, my index finger slid into one of the slots in my rotor, and my finger stopped against the caliper, the rotor kept turning. Severed finger just behind the nail. It thankfully was still held on by a small piece of skin untill I got to the hospital. it was reattached succsesfully. The surgon said I may never have a nail again, and a gnarly scar, but feeking should come back.

Last edited by lubbockrider; 02-24-2012 at 10:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow!! That had to be unpleasant! Sorry man. I've heard of this happening before, believe it or not. Go ahead and post pics, let's see the damage!

Speedy recovery!
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Almost did the same thing while adjusting brake calipers the other day. Sliced clean through the nail down to the bone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I uploaded pics. It suprising to me this is common. I never would of imagined this happening, seems so random, brake discs look so inoccent. I wana make a video of a recreation with a carrot.

Sweep the leg!
    I did the same thing with a track bike in '92. I was adjusting the chain tension and was turning the crank without a pedal on the arm. My index finger went between the chainring and the tight chain for a full revolution. The tooth of the chainring cut through the bone and popped through the bed of the nail at the cuticle. The hospital is just down the street from the OTC so we hopped in a car and drove me to the ER. They cleaned it, taped it in place and splinted it. No microsurgery or stitches. It reattached, I lost the nail but it grew back. I have about 90% sensation in that finger... see- jnhujnhujnhuj

Heal up, that nose won't pick itself!
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I did the same thing with a track bike in '92. I was adjusting the chain tension and was turning the crank without a pedal on the arm. My index finger went between the chainring and the tight chain for a full revolution. The tooth of the chainring cut through the bone and popped through the bed of the nail at the cuticle. The hospital is just down the street from the OTC so we hopped in a car and drove me to the ER. They cleaned it, taped it in place and splinted it. No microsurgery or stitches. It reattached, I lost the nail but it grew back. I have about 90% sensation in that finger... see- jnhujnhujnhuj

Heal up, that nose won't pick itself!
    i feel you man, its 630 in the morning, the numbinb meds wore off, and it hurts like a *****. Im sitting here typing trying to get my mind off the pain

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just try to hang in there. It'll heal.I recently lost my foot, so i kind of know what you're feeling.One upside is, sometimes after the healing takes place, you get what the med profession calls, "phantom sensation", where you feel that missing parts are still there.
    I don't have a foot, but i can still touch the ground with my heel and feel my toes.Weird!!
    Don't worry. You will be OK soon.
    Best wishes
    ---zarr
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Dirt Huffer
    That happened to me last fall! YEEE OAW! I didn't ride for a few weeks. Luckily I mine wasn't completely severed.

Hope you have a speedy recovery my friend

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Best of luck in your recovery. Cutting fingers SUCKS!! I missed a lot of riding last summer because of this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails severed finger-001.jpg  

severed finger-004.jpg  

severed finger-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've heard of this happening quite a few times. Respect the rotor!
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockrider View Post
    i feel you man, its 630 in the morning, the numbinb meds wore off, and it hurts like a *****. Im sitting here typing trying to get my mind off the pain
    What did they give you for the pain? It'd be great to have an Oxycodone (not Oxycontin) or at least Tramadol (non-narcotic). I've been taking the Tramadol during the day for kidney stone pain and recently for my ankle surgery. IT takes the edge off the pain without feeling stoned. Call the doctor and ask for the pain management nurse (though they might not have one) and explain to them that you're in pain (8 out of 10 usually works) At the very least you should be able to have something to allow you to take the edge off enough to get some sleep. I was taking 2 oxycodones before bed (when the pain was bad) and tramadol through the day. It's harder to get addicted that way, at least I think it is.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

~Disc~Golf~
    ...It's harder to get addicted that way, at least I think it is.
    says Caffeine Powered
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    sucks....it's happened to more people than you think....completely respect the rotor....when I'm working on my bike either on the stand or the bike upside down I make sure my young kids come nowhere near it....

SS Pusher Man
    You only do that once......then you learn.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What did they give you for the pain? It'd be great to have an Oxycodone (not Oxycontin) or at least Tramadol (non-narcotic). I've been taking the Tramadol during the day for kidney stone pain and recently for my ankle surgery. IT takes the edge off the pain without feeling stoned. Call the doctor and ask for the pain management nurse (though they might not have one) and explain to them that you're in pain (8 out of 10 usually works) At the very least you should be able to have something to allow you to take the edge off enough to get some sleep. I was taking 2 oxycodones before bed (when the pain was bad) and tramadol through the day. It's harder to get addicted that way, at least I think it is.
    They gave me hydrocodine

mtbr member
    Nice, welcome to my last three months - managed to get my left middle finger (i know, ha ha) caught in the rear brake rotor while working on my bike on 12/5. Had to have orthopedic surgery to pin the last bone in my finger. 11+ weeks later, (last Monday) I got the pins out. Have ridden twice since. Slow going. And my finger? Nail is regrowing, one suture still in the end and stiff as a board. Range of motion is getting better. Good luck! I truly mean that. When it starts healing don't be surprised when your skin peels off like a bad sunburn - at least mine did.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockrider View Post
    I uploaded pics. It suprising to me this is common. I never would of imagined this happening, seems so random, brake discs look so inoccent. I wana make a video of a recreation with a carrot.
    My friends all wanted to do a recreation only stick a dowel in a hotdog.... LOL
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen View Post
    Nice, welcome to my last three months - managed to get my left middle finger (i know, ha ha) caught in the rear brake rotor while working on my bike on 12/5. Had to have orthopedic surgery to pin the last bone in my finger. 11+ weeks later, (last Monday) I got the pins out. Have ridden twice since. Slow going. And my finger? Nail is regrowing, one suture still in the end and stiff as a board. Range of motion is getting better. Good luck! I truly mean that. When it starts healing don't be surprised when your skin peels off like a bad sunburn - at least mine did.
    I really thought no one else would have done something like this. Its kinda nice to know Im not the first to pull this off. Glad to hear your riding again!!! I hope thats me soon! Even after all the support and common stories Ive gotton from this site, Im still in disbelief that I cut my finger off in a mountian bike brake rotor. I mean, I ride motocross, kiteboard, competitve skiff sailing, and I cut my finger off at 0 mph while squatting. I dont know, it just seems like such an unlucky move. And I bought my first clipless pedals/shoes that very day.....

mtbr member
    Damn that's rough. That picture actually turned my stomache a bit. Get well soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Registered just to ask how you guys are going? I did this last November:

severed finger-dsc_0208.jpg

I did it the same way of adjusting the rebound on forks and tore em off :L
    You guys got any tips or changes that you had to make?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    It is wierd thinking of the injuries a brake rotor on a bike can inflict.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This is gnarly, it got you really well!

I had a close call with a rotor bite, I was adjusting the QR on my girlfriends bike to get the rotor properly centered in the caliper and had the wheel spinning slowly as I adjusted the QR and locked it down repeatedly. Somehow my finger got in the rotor about half way up the last finger section and it VERY easily sliced nearly to the bone.

I have always had v-brakes myself and spokes are soft and don't bite like that so I was completely caught off guard. Luckily I didn't sever anything important and it healed on its own in a few weeks.

To those who have had serious injuries this way I hope everything turns out for you guys.

I now respect the rotor!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow , this thread got me thinking...Do I want to continue to work on my bike ?? !! I hope all of you are recovered and in good spirits.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be careful as shit while adjusting calipers while spinning the wheels. F that method anymore. I never would have imagined this!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    CRAMBA Chairman

Kick Start My Heart

Re: severed finger

My MTB is old school brakes, but I worry about this on the roadie with the aero spokes!
    Heal up soon!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was working i a bike shop when disk brakes first started getting popular. very first bike i worked on i sliced my finger by rotor bite. I was aligning the calipers, while holding them, i turned to grab a wrench behind me, and bumped the wheel with my leg, caught the side of my thumb.

Gained a lot of respect that day, They don't look like much but they're ****ing Ginsu Knives. still have a nice scar and a funny shaped thumb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for sharing. I'm leaving my disk brakes up to an LBS..

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ seriously?

you just learned a lesson on what NOT to do - there are plenty of lessons on what TO do

SACK UP!
    eat a salt tablet
    and walk it off!

don't pussify yourself
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    putting my bike on my car roof rack and my finger next to my pinky was in the way, got the nail sliced by the rotor before I knew it! Better the nail gone than a stiches but these things are super sharp. Bloody as hell but doesn't hurt much. Feeling dumb more than anything so keep all fingers away from the rotor!

Members who have read this thread: 35